European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Would like to clubs to go forward with this, only to get banned from every other competiton which in turn could lead to massive tranfer request from players.

Now that would be great, starting super league but with some no name players since all the quality ones left. :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Tebas the Spanish league guy wanted games in the US and brought the Spanish Super Cup to Saudi Arabia. Quite the hypocrite. He just wants his slice of the pie and is seething at getting outplayed by the big clubs
They're all the same - and what about all the money corruption in FIFA/UEFA ??
Now they're angry because they suddenly realise that the ESL mean business and may take a big slice of what's going into their coffers or elsewhere!

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
The key is to not put it on paper. Team selections are arbitrary.
This.
FIFA can win this easily simply by having the FAs not calling players from those clubs.
Why?
Technical decision by the manager.
Good luck trying to debate into those murky waters :D

RedRover

This had to have been in motion for the team that have come out to come out. They were never going to risk this if they hadn't already checked that they had the judicial system on their side. Companies like JP Morgan and Amazon aren't getting into bed with this unless they are sure they can pull it off.
That's not how it works. You can ask very clever and experienced Counsel to advise you and give their opinion, but litigation always carries risks and it is never (or indeed very rarely) clear cut. No lawyer (or certainly none who are any good) will tell you that you are guaranteed to win, because if they do, and you don't they're in the firing line. It's often the case that people assume that big outfits have all the legal side boxed off before they do anything but that's rarely the case. It's more often about reviewing and managing risk.

Secondly, litigation takes time, and in this instance it has to occur cross jurisdictionally. That brings about potentially enormous complexity.

The issue I see here is that UEFA (and potentially FIFA) have so much to lose given the seismic nature of this, the ordinary rules of engagement (i.e. not rocking the boat and keeping the money rolling in until a settlement is reached, or a ruling comes from the Courts) may not be the tactic they choose to run with.

The clubs involved in this will, of course have consulted lawyers and will have strategised on what they think UEFA/FIFA/the PL etc. will do. But they may not get it right. They may also have underestimated how the fans would feel about this and that may also give the opposition to confidence to start applying pressure. It's been interesting to see how it plays out.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
able to ref, run the line and goal line technology all by themselves.

a topless, caged jon moss will be wheeled out at half time, for super fans to boo and hiss at. they will be reminded of how bad the game used to be, until our salvation by the glazers and the esl.
He will be offered the chance to join after a suitable amount of public shamings. He will have to shave himself completely to prove his commitment to the cause

Moby

Dick
Sorry it just didn't seem like a response to what I said.

I think we were counting on being in the Premier league and the domestic cups but obviously UEFA have other plans which seems foolish given that the world wide TV audience will likely leave with the clubs
Since you were talking about Leicester etc competing for PL title it seemed you were talking about the scenario where shit-6 are not in the PL. Surely they won't be allowed in domestic cups either in that case which means they are left playing the ESL and nothing else.

Bobski

If I understand correctly all American sports are like this. How do they keep it interesting?
Stats, and pushing individuals over teams.

The US system has some good things but I can't get over that in some years, especially in the NBA, you can have up to 40% of the league actively trying to lose, or tank, as it is known, for draft positioning.

Professional sports team trying to lose, and most people are ok with it.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
They're all the same - and what about all the money corruption in FIFA/UEFA ??
Now they're angry because they suddenly realise that the ESL mean business and may take a big slice of what's going into their coffers or elsewhere!
Well if this was about taking power from UEFA/FIFA to make it fair for all, I am sure everyone on here would be in support of the idea. However, it is not, it is about trying to create a cartel system in which a self appointed group of clubs decide to get rid of competition to self serve themselves. I mean no relegation and adding teams purely based on their balance sheet has zero sporting merit. I mean how do Milan, Arsenal and Spurs get in when they either don't win anything or cannot beat out those pesky 'inferior' teams to qualify for the CL?

RedRover

This.
FIFA can win this easily simply by having the FAs not calling players from those clubs.
Why?
This occurred in Australia in the 90's when Murdoch backed the Super League rugby. I've been listening to a podcast on it, which is really interesting. One issue there was the fact that the people running the game were very pout of touch with the fans and miscalculated their reaction...

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
In Ligue 1 only, you have Pinault, Ratcliffe, Rybolovlev, Seydoux and QSI, Marseille are supposed to be sold but McCourt is still there and could see a new opportunity. In Germany you obviously have already big clubs such as Bayern and Dortmund but also Leipzig, then you have all the clubs owned by big companies like Wolfsburg and Leverkusen who now can see the CL sky. That's without talking about Porto, Benfica, Roma, Napoli or Ajax.

Mid to long term, Football doesn't start or ends with the Super Greedy League, there is a lot of clubs with history and potential outside of that league.
I like this post and totally agree with it. I hope this super league crashes and burns. Ffs United :(

LARulz

They screwed up by calling it League. Should have called it a cup

LARulz

This.
Why?
And what happens when Argentina say 'feck that - I want Messi, Dybala and co'. Then others will break ranks. Also can you imagine Belgium?! Their golden generation play for these clubs

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
That's not how it works. You can ask very clever and experienced Counsel to advise you and give their opinion, but litigation always carries risks and it is never (or indeed very rarely) clear cut. No lawyer (or certainly none who are any good) will tell you that you are guaranteed to win, because if they do, and you don't they're in the firing line. It's often the case that people assume that big outfits have all the legal side boxed off before they do anything but that's rarely the case. It's more often about reviewing and managing risk.

Secondly, litigation takes time, and in this instance it has to occur cross jurisdictionally. That brings about potentially enormous complexity.

The issue I see here is that UEFA (and potentially FIFA) have so much to lose given the seismic nature of this, the ordinary rules of engagement (i.e. not rocking the boat and keeping the money rolling in until a settlement is reached, or a ruling comes from the Courts) may not be the tactic they choose to run with.

The clubs involved in this will, of course have consulted lawyers and will have strategised on what they think UEFA/FIFA/the PL etc. will do. But they may not get it right. They may also have underestimated how the fans would feel about this and that may also give the opposition to confidence to start applying pressure. It's been interesting to see how it plays out.
As usual, the truth is somewhat in the middle. No, lawyers can't guarantee anything but sometimes it can be clear cut. Such as companies knowing that the fine they'll get will be less than the profit they made by breaking some rule.

justsomebloke

Of course he will say that to increase Martial's value.
What, you mean he knows it's a ridiculous comparison that every football fan will laugh about, but nevertheless thinks that saying it is going to increase Martial's value? If so, he's just as stupid, just in a different way.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
2 of those already released statements today saying no
They didn't say 'no'. They just said, they didn't partake in the planing of the ESL. Thats a very smart move if you think about it. They calmed their fans on the one hand, but left themselves an option to sign up later on the other hand. They just want to wait and let the other clubs take the shit storm. When everything is clearer in a few weeks, they will decide to sign up or not.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
UEFA saying its 'pure greed' and a spit in the face to football fans is hilarious. :lol:

Hughie77

I cant see this realy happening, they want it as soon as its reasonable practical? That could be a 100 yrs away. That phrase above is put in so many rules etc to basically say whenever It suits .
I would just like The prem and UEFA Cl to sort out a deal with the rest of European leagues to revamp it then theres no need for New Super league, but sadly in this world Money talks, and sorry to say, the Oil rich owned clubs are a very big reason this has come about, If UEFA last year had dealt with the City issues instead of brushing it under the carpet we may well not be at this stage?
I suppose that the way money has gone up in football this was inevitable to happen . I think nearly 30yrs ago when The premier league was getting its legs, Doug Ellis the Villa owner said what's going to happen next is a European Super league, well it's taken nearly 30yrs to get a ball rolling, money talks like it did when prem was formed all be it different problems no closed shop, but teams had to drop out to make prem smaller!!! This is going to drag on but money talks.

DoomSlayer

We are fecked for the foreseeable future, aren't we? What a shame for all the staff that works their ass off for the football side of things, we were finally seeing consistent steps of improvement. :(

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What, you mean he knows it's a ridiculous comparison that every football fan will laugh about, but nevertheless thinks that saying it is going to increase Martial's value? If so, he's just as stupid, just in a different way.
Meh, in his eyes Martial is an asset so of course he'll shamelessly make an exaggerated comparison to praise his player.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This attack on players frm Ceferin i pathetic and non legal. The have contracts with those clubs. Will he/uefa give them wages and rebuy them from clubs?

SwedishFish

In Ligue 1 only, you have Pinault, Ratcliffe, Rybolovlev, Seydoux and QSI, Marseille are supposed to be sold but McCourt is still there and could see a new opportunity. In Germany you obviously have already big clubs such as Bayern and Dortmund but also Leipzig, then you have all the clubs owned by big companies like Wolfsburg and Leverkusen who now can see the CL sky. That's without talking about Porto, Benfica, Roma, Napoli or Ajax.

Mid to long term, Football doesn't start or ends with the Super Greedy League, there is a lot of clubs with history and potential outside of that league.
To be realistic, no one will pay to watch Marseille vs Wolfsburg, even though they are decently supported teams. There is a massive gap between the top teams and the ones below.

The Champions League these days are just about seeing the best superstars of the game. It will drop massively even with those teams mentioned featuring such is the appeal of the giants.

I still think this will get settled somehow though. UEFA will budge.

Eriku

Something I can't wrap my head around , why these dumbspiracy leaders announced it in the business end of the season, when titles and cups are being chased , and not immediately after? Now they are risking the trophies they are about to win as well, effectively rendering the work of their players useless. They really don't care about any of this don't they? Probably view their own players as mindless automatons.
That much has been made clear if the quotes from the insider about them being fine with players being held back from international duty because it doesn’t give them anything anyway. Either I am way off, or they have NO clue what the international cups and matches mean to players.