European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
No club will be banned from the prem, or CL, or Europa etc. All hogwash. No player will be banned from world cup or euros either.

I mean, if you banned all those clubs players' from the world cup or euros, most squads would be so much weaker, and the tournament would be shite i suspect.

The domestic leagues and european ones need the fans and the big clubs, more than we need them. The ESL will likely happen. But the prem will suffer in so much that top 4 isnt that big of a deal for the big clubs now... can finish 17th and still be in the Super League and make about 300m

Giggs86

A friend of mine remarked that 20 years ago, Blackburn and Newcastle would've been in the Super League. Spurs wouldn't. Maybe Valencia or Deportivo in Spain, maybe Sampdoria or Napoli in Italy.

Still doesn't explain why Spurs are there when they've won feck all. :lol:
Because the Spurs/Arsenal brand and fan base will lead to success with the proposed cash injection. It worked with City and Chelsea, who were nowhere near the brand/fan base levels of Arsenal and Spurs.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Anyone taking any shots or posting false equivalence posts at the people who are trying to band together to stop this need to take a good hard long look at themselves.

Now is not the time for rivalries tribalism and whatever else.

Bob Rivers

Supports
Chelsea
Fair enough to be honest. The players and managers represent their clubs. They need to be left with absolutely no doubt how every fan in this country feels. Including their own fans.

Nowhere to hide on this.
Except every fan in the country doesn't feel that way. And those players/managers, while are not involved in decision making, have a lot more to lose in this issue than just some random fan who can change his mind tomorrow.

This is a very serious and complex issue and I'd like to hear a whole lot more from the 12 clubs involved before passing a judgment on what's really going on.

Baneofthegame

If they didn’t guarantee teams being there every year I imagine it would have been more acceptable to fans. Would kill the domestic leagues should it happen that way.

prateik

It would be based on merit so we're not sure because we don't know the criteria yet.
But why would clubs agree to it if it got them banned from their regular European competition ?
Being a permanent member guarantees money + a competition to play in.. What if Ajax agree one season.. dont qualify for the next 3 and have no money or european football?

Surely no decent side will agree to be part of those 5 rolling spots

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Don't they need a 75% voting to do so (which I suspect, might have been one of the reasons for the Spurs invitation)?
That's a good point. I always understood it was 75%, though as @Berbaclass says I've since heard it said 14 clubs. Maybe they mean that for one club to do anything they have to get another 14 to agree with them? I don't know.

On the other hand would the Italian and Spanish clubs be protected in their leagues? I don't know that either :(

tjb

The folks saying UEFA are corrupt, Sky are complicit, you don't give a shit because they all deserve it can piss off. It is nothing to do with UEFA or Sky or FIFA.

This is about the well being of all Football clubs and fans. Not to create a rigged game for 12 clubs to have a guranteed money maker for their owners.
UEFA needs to be checked, my problem with this is the proposal, not the attempt to breakaway.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Because of them being away from FIFA/UEFA they can make rules however they want and do exactly whatever they want. For example say 5 players, no offsides, need to gain 10 yards for every 20 seconds. And so on. It is up to them because they will not answer to anyone but to themself. They can even change name of the game if they want. Maybe BallRoll Extreme.

One thing you can expect looking at closed leagues is national song played before games.
@JPRouve Looks like I'm not that crazy :lol:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Leeds should wait until the whistle blows and just walk off. Followed by any other teams who have to play against the 6 for the rest of the season. See how long the league can continue under those conditions, and send a clear message that if they want football to be meaningless then it can be.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This is exactly right, make absolutely no mistake these players and managers have been put in an absolutely ridiculous and tough position.

Many of them have come from working class backgrounds, some of them have had childhoods where they’ve had to travel 6 hours with no boots just to get to training. They’ve been lucky to make a living out of this game and these faceless owners borne in to money intent on grabbing more have hung them out to dry.
Couldn't agree more.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
While the Super League is blatantly a capitalist construction, I'm confused at the default reaction, which is funded through the mainstream media, that somehow the purity of football will be tarnished.

Football is already NOT pure today.

If you think FIFA and the various FAs, including and particularly the English FA, aren't corrupt and absorbing a ton of monetary value.. you're living in lala land.

The Super League is essentially about the clubs cutting out the corrupt middlemen (FA, FIFA, UEFA) to take the pie all for themselves.

I for one would like to see to see sustained, increased leverage from the clubs and further minimization of power in FIFA, English FA and UEFA. feck corrupt refereeing, feck awarding World Cups to countries that kill immigrants to build stadiums, feck Platini and lest we all forget, FIFA was raided a few years ago and found corrupt.

All paths are tainted by capitalist evils, but if FA/FIFA/UEFA continued to grow unchecked, it would only get worse. I'd love to see them squeal and maybe we can all get something better out of this.
The biggest point is the mode of contest, which the "Super League" changes without anyone outside the executive board asking for it.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
That's a good point. I always understood it was 75%, though as @Berbaclass says I've since heard it said 14 clubs. Maybe they mean that for one club to do anything they have to get another 14 to agree with them? I don't know.

On the other hand would the Italian and Spanish clubs be protected in their leagues? I don't know that either :(
I just remember for the null and void stuff they needed 14 clubs to agree to void the season last year.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
If they didn’t guarantee teams being there every year I imagine it would have been more acceptable to fans. Would kill the domestic leagues should it happen that way.
i think thats one issue, theres no "fight to qualify" so to speak like there is with CL. And the race for top 4. Youre in regardless, and wont ever be out of it, unless youre one of the 5 random sides. And obviously then the 12 sides in Super league will almost have fantasy football levels of finances, and will absolutely dominate their domestic leagues at a canter.

The other 14 prem clubs if it happens, are utterly fecked competitively

Hoof the ball

People arguing that since UEFA are hardly reputable that somehow that diminishes the arguments against the Super League. :lol:

It's a closed competition not based on merit vs. A competition that is at least open to all.

UEFA not being pure isn't a fecking reason to support a franchise model designed to exclude everyone who isn't deemed elite.

Give me a break.

Godfather

Bit too much outrage. Football and success have been bought by plastics for many years now. City? Chelsea? Even PSG. Where would they be without oil money pumped into them.

This is just another step in the direction football has been going for years.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Klopp probably said more on the subject than any current top 6 coach would, unfortunately.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Bit too much outrage. Football and success have been bought by plastics for many years now. City? Chelsea? Even PSG. Where would they be without oil money pumped into them.

This is just another step in the direction football has been going for years.
Yeah, it's been like this for decades now. 2005 was the death of the true Manchester United to me.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The state of Steve 'Parklife' Parish talking around in circles and arguing for both sides at the same time :lol:

SmallCaine

Yeah, UEFA cannot win this one in the courts. Massive public opinion pressure are their only option.
why can't it though? May be i missed the part but he doesn't say anything about the rule 9 stuff and most of his examples are about organizations stopping formation of other organization.

Here uefa seem to be more in retaliation mode, if you play for them you won't be picked for national team. How do you go to court and ask it to make sure your players are picked for their national team over players of other teams?

stevoc

The league made deals with the devil when it allowed these cretins in. Now the chicken have come home to roost.
I don't have the energy to be outraged. Been losing interest for years anyway.
Yeah the PL got into bed with Russian gangsters, predatory billionaires with zero morals and middle eastern dictatorships. That was ok as long as they were reaping the rewards. This is the bed they made and now they'll have to lie in it.