European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Simbo

Anyone else still think this is some kind of massive troll? Extended April Fools? Its hilarious, I'm lovin it.

Mr.Kaya

Imagine actually wanting to watch a comfort league where absolutely nothing matters and your team gets some tinpot trophy handed to you by Perez and Woodward.

feck me :lol:
Just crazy, nothing more to say really. It would be boring to watch the all these topteams play each other every week in and out, you'd never see an underdog shock one of the big clubs which happens now and then and so on. Yes it could be interesting to make an international league where you mix teams from england, spain, germany, france and italy, but it makes no sence as they already play each other in CL/EL which just makes it way more entertaining than if these team played in the same league and you'd see them play each other way more often...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What a tone deaf comment. There are clubs folding and player being put on furlough and he's complaining about the financial situation of Europe's elite. :houllier:

kidbob

It would be hugely symbolic if the fans of Liverpool and United could manage to gather a joint huge protest the coincides with our coming league fixture. Two historical rivals coming together to voice their grievance. Seen this suggestion on twitter, even though it would do nothing it would be quite a sight to behold.

Edit: in fact I'd go even further and try to get the fans of all 20 clubs of the PL together for a massive demonstration.

Carragher's 100% right about the solidarity it would create if a big manager or player came out strongly against it...moreso if a lot of them did it together.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It was only a matter of time before America ruined football for the rest of us.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
It was pretty disappointing given how much attention and expectation there was on Klopp to take a bit of a stand. In retrospect people clearly expected too much, but to take aim at Gary Neville was definitely off. If he had watched the clip from last night in its entirety he ought to have known that Neville was talking complete sense and wasn't insulting him or Liverpool Football Club.
Competent agreed mate, and it’s something I want to bang the drum on because it’s clear that if he didn’t understand then nobody explained, and if he did then it’s just a bizarre thing to do.
I do think he has said what he could, and I think Milner following that up is important. They don’t want this, no player or manager wants this. I respect him defending the players and I agree with him on that. He just really needs to realise now is not a United Liverpool thing, now isn’t the time for tribalism.

This is so much bigger, these billionaire families are trying to monopolise an entire sport and it cannot be allowed to happen. We can go back to hating each other afterward. We just absolutely cannot let this pass, we’ve seen it happen in the world in other parts of society, it can’t happen in football.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
But they will have that, that's the point. In years past only the Champions qualified for the CL/EC , when that changed there was an uproar but seems normal now, now up to 5 clubs from the same league can - it' s not that far a step up from that.
But we won’t have to worry about qualifying. That’s the point

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This motherfecker. Where's the bit about 'for us'? Because that's what this is all about.

The prize money pot won't increase in football, it will just be concentrated in the hands of the absolute leeches of billionares who will cream off the profits.

I mean how much more money do these fecking billionaires want? How many more boats, houses and cars?

I am so angry a day after this whole thing but what's more disappointing is the peons who are ready to become their customers.

Maybe they could but they'd be writing their own death warrant.
I don't think they would. If six English clubs want to set up a closed shop alongside some foreign clubs and against the wishes for the English FA and UEFA, I wouldn't blame the rest of the league for telling us to feck off, and the same with UEFA. The Champions League would continue without the twelve/fifteen, and reforms could be made to make all competitions fairer. The Champions League has been increasingly skewed towards a few very powerful clubs; without us they might be able to reverse that. Football is bigger than the global mega clubs.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
The only reason Europe's elite are struggling is because they needlessly pay ridiculous wages and fees in an arms race with each other. Put them in the Super League and you'll still get the same issue only with even greater sums. What a disaster it would be if Barca's wage bill was only 10 times that of the average La Liga team instead of 20!

The real issue is that there is no real problem with them acting so irresponsibly so none of them have to bother managing their finances correctly.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Carragher's 100% right about the solidarity it would create if a big manager or player came out strongly against it...moreso if a lot of them did it together.
Ole and Pep in a United and City Jersey in the newspaper tomorrow morning urging fans and players to take a stand and stop this thing from happening.

Definitely a better lovestory than Twilight. Alsoa feverdream, but a nice one.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
But we won’t have to worry about qualifying. That’s the point
It has been very rare that these clubs didn't qualify for the CL or the EL. Seven PL teams qualify every year for Europe. Now we worry about doing well against top European sides, better class of opposition rather than playing some minor club in Kazakhstan.

Resch

The SL is the logical consequence of the CL. Since 1993 the CL became more and more a "elite" competition. More clubs from the top 5 leagues, less clubs from smaller leagues.It was all about the money and still is. The UEFA shows it's hypocrisy now. They had no problem forcing smaller clubs out of the competition. Now the big clubs want to generate the money without the UEFA, they are crying.
Football needs to reinvent itself, needs to find it's roots again and needs to find new structure, maybe without 12 clubs, without the UEFA or FIFA.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
People are deluding themselves if they think this won’t be an absolutely massive success if it happens.

It shouldn’t be happening but in 20 years everyone will be in love with this format. Just the way it’s going to be.
In love with playing madrid every season for 20 years with no relegation? Speak for yourself pal

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The other 14 will never ask the shameless six to leave, they need them. Parish said as much on sky. They just want them back at the table. Uefa will take this all the way to destruction though.

What’s needed here is Government intervention, and a fan ownership model put in place. The Glazers have to be ousted. Pure and simple. These people are absolute scum.

Mr.Kaya

Money money money. For a man in charge of a club who have such a history with the European Cup/CL.

Should be ashamed of yourself, I'll get banned on here If I speak my words against this dinosaur
For Perez, this could also be about power and his legacy in Real Madrid. Everyone in Spain specially, knows that he wants the same legacy as Santiago Bernabeu himself, who in 1955 was one of the main persons behind the Europacup, with Real winning the 5 first trophies of this tourney. The only way Perez can match Bernabeus legacy, is if he does something similar to that, which is exactly what hes trying to do now. Money is just a big plus for him and the club. It would bring all these clubs involved economical stability, but it would also ruin everything else with football.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The only reason Europe's elite are struggling is because they needlessly pay ridiculous wages and fees in an arms race with each other. Put them in the Super League and you'll still get the same issue only with even greater sums. What a disaster it would be if Barca's wage bill was only 10 times that of the average La Liga team instead of 20!

The real issue is that there is no real problem with them acting so irresponsibly so none of them have to bother managing their finances correctly.
The Super League plans to tackle that by limiting the team's total salary to 55% of the club's turnover. This is effectively a salary cap that they'll implement to keep clubs stable.

Florentino Perez: "We are doing it to save football as it is at a critical moment"

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Only big teams, eh? Did they forget about how both Spurs and Atletico Madrid became big clubs over the last 10 years?

Poltophagy

The Super League plans to tackle that by limiting the team's total salary to 55% of the club's turnover. This is effectively a salary cap that they'll implement to keep clubs stable.
To keep owners rich you mean.