European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hobbers

People are deluding themselves if they think this won’t be an absolutely massive success if it happens.

It shouldn’t be happening but in 20 years everyone will be in love with this format. Just the way it’s going to be.
Why would a glorified friendly league with no tangible prize, with the same teams every year, be a roaring success?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The only reason Europe's elite are struggling is because they needlessly pay ridiculous wages and fees in an arms race with each other. Put them in the Super League and you'll still get the same issue only with even greater sums. What a disaster it would be if Barca's wage bill was only 10 times that of the average La Liga team instead of 20!

The real issue is that there is no real problem with them acting so irresponsibly so none of them have to bother managing their finances correctly.
To fix the problem you also have to understand this problem. For the drivers of the ESL this is as much about the failure of FFP as anything else. The ESL will have a salary cap and maybe a transfer cap. If UEFA had enforced their own rules this wouldn’t be happening. You are inevitably part of the situation you face.

I am disgusted by this whole debacle, but we need to fix what is broken for us to defeat this ludicrous proposition.

hubbuh

Competent agreed mate, and it’s something I want to bang the drum on because it’s clear that if he didn’t understand then nobody explained, and if he did then it’s just a bizarre thing to do.
I do think he has said what he could, and I think Milner following that up is important. They don’t want this, no player or manager wants this. I respect him defending the players and I agree with him on that. He just really needs to realise now is not a United Liverpool thing, now isn’t the time for tribalism.

This is so much bigger, these billionaire families are trying to monopolise an entire sport and it cannot be allowed to happen. We can go back to hating each other afterward. We just absolutely cannot let this pass, we’ve seen it happen in the world in other parts of society, it can’t happen in football.
Too right mate. Agreed on all counts. The only silver lining is that it will hopefully force a restructuring of club ownership. This is beyond the pale.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I don't think they would. If six English clubs want to set up a closed shop alongside some foreign clubs and against the wishes for the English FA and UEFA, I wouldn't blame the rest of the league for telling us to feck off, and the same with UEFA. The Champions League would continue without the twelve/fifteen, and reforms could be made to make all competitions fairer. The Champions League has been increasingly skewed towards a few very powerful clubs; without us they might be able to reverse that. Football is bigger than the global mega clubs.
But my point is the money, yes they could block the big clubs but the revenues for TV rights would plummet, people around the world are not going to pay big money to watch Norwich against Swansea when they can watch Barcelona against Juventus. The attraction of the PL as the biggest league attraction will die as will the finances which will cripple the clubs that are left.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It was only a matter of time before America ruined football for the rest of us.
This has little to do with America and would be nice if people invested in brains. This idea was mooted by the G-14 20 years ago and is the baby of the very americans Agnelli and Florentino Perez. Greed isn't the exclusivity of America, it would be nice if people looked in the mirror from time to time.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I could actually see the Lesser 14 forcing the issue by voting to remove the Super Six if they proceed with the idea and all other avenues have been exhausted. Yes the Super Six have the league by the b@llocks in terms of income and hold most of the financial cards, but the Lesser 14 also know that the top six want to remain in domestic competition and that public opinion is also firmly in their favour, including the fanbases and players from the Super Six themselves most critically.

For those clubs to carry on with the proposals and no longer be part of the PL pits Liverpool fans directly against FSG, Utd fans against the Glazers, Arsenal fans against Kroenke and so on...significantly moreso than ever before. It also pits their most important assets - their players - against them, and that’s a whole new level. Civil war with their fanbases/players is not what the Super Six will want. Massive game of high stakes poker and the risks are obvious, but I for one wouldn‘t be shocked to see it.

Last edited:

ti vu

Huh? What lost interest? :lol:

If anything, I've seen it get even bigger and even more popular over the years.
My interpretation is they are losing base to the like of PSG, City... as they can't no longer monopolize on superstars any more. Kids prefer the best players, which video games would lead them into supporting those other clubs. Since they run the club base on hype (Galaticos model), unable to keep up would eventually finish them. There is no stopping that other the creation of closed league.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Hasn't the Champions League viewership only been increasing over the years?

Why not focus on the smaller clubs that are really getting hurt, then?

Honestly, I'm struggling to see how Spanish football fans can lap this up, including the socios from both of the Madrid teams as well as Barcelona.

VivaRonaldo85

I just don’t see this happening ultimately. Never has there been so much uproar and negative PR for a proposal amongst all facets of football. I think it is the highest level of posturing by these 12 clubs to ultimately be able to slice their own bigger wedge of the champions league money pie. I just feel there will be major negotiations to get this resolved and these clubs will come out of it with a slightly better deal from UEFA in the end. Really if this was April 1st, it would feel more appropriate.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
My interpretation is they are losing base to the like of PSG, City... as they can't no longer monopolize on superstars any more. Kids prefer the best players, which video games would lead them into supporting those other clubs. Since they run the club base on hype (Galaticos model), unable to keep up would eventually finish them. There is no stopping that other the creation of closed league.
That's most definitely what he's thinking, but he's presenting this whole thing as if Real Madrid is all of football. Such a self-centred, close-minded view is frankly disingenuous and downright insulting.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The quickest way to make Real Madrid vs Liverpool or Manchester United vs Barcelona less exciting is to have it guaranteed every year. They are seriously going to regret going this way. Also it's laughable to say this is to save football, football is doing just fine. It's also cute some try to pass it off as a response to the impact of COVID when this has been in the works for a decade at least.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Only big teams, eh? Did they forget about how both Spurs and Atletico Madrid became big clubs over the last 10 years?
Save football :lol: This is unadulterated sociopathic trolling.

Funny that seeing football in crisis, with an unsustainable model, the reaction is not to reign things in, but to follow the perpetual growth doctrine by just cutting out the minnows.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What happens to other European leagues who have no chance to enter the super league? Do they just get left to die

Withnail

That's some spin Perez is putting on it.

He seems to be back-tracking a bit with his 'all we have done is make a public note to start talking with UEFA', because of the backlash one would imagine.

But my point is the money, yes they could block the big clubs but the revenues for TV rights would plummet, people around the world are not going to pay big money to watch Norwich against Swansea when they can watch Barcelona against Juventus. The attraction of the PL as the biggest league attraction will die as will the finances which will cripple the clubs that are left.
That would mainly mean lower transfer fees and lower wages, which would be a great thing. Ticket prices could be reduced and TV companies wouldn't be able to charge as much for games.

What's more the Super League clubs would all be playing weakened teams in the league, wanting their best players ready for midweek European games. The league would become like the Carling Cup to the 'big six'.

We mustn't think we are indispensable and can therefore do whatever we like without consequences. The breakaway clubs have taken the nuclear option, which could mean everything is destroyed.

If the clubs press ahead with this disgraceful idea, we will all deserve everything we get. We all, together, have to stop the Super League.

Good statement from one of the biggest Liverpool fan groups. We should be asking for the same from our players and manager.

Bruno still the only one to speak out.

It's already one of first major current events in months that Rashford's PR team haven't weighed in on.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In fairness Barcelona are in a dire financial situation. In trying to compete with oil clubs they’ve nearly bankrupted themselves.
They are nearly bankrupt because they have been run by incompetent men. It has nothing to do with trying to compete with oil clubs.

fcnrz

So instead of reducing the wage bill and stop going after players like mbappe andco he is trying to find money to continue this craziness. What are Bayern stupid for not paying players crazy wages or not going after Mbappe and co? Its easy to be top while spending money you dont actually have and then hope for a bail out from the state or super league