European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The fact their golden goose has reached its peak will force them to sell. Maybe Boris will step in...if we all whip a petition together the man will do anything for some populism.
Sounds more wishful thinking than anything else. And they still make a shitload of money without investing a penny. So what's there not to like for them

M16Red

The main issues are SIX being from prem, no clear pyramid and the founding teams being untouchable and obviously missing German teams and PSG etc.

I think its just a power play to try to get what they want.
Yeah, I think the same way.

UEFA make 3.3 billion off the euro games per season apparently, that is a lot of money the old model meant that the clubs would earn off the gates with that gone the big teams want a bigger slice of UEFA money and most probably FIFAs which make obscene amounts of money.

ti vu

There are 14 others actually and Spurs wont be at the bottom. Im not saying the will win it, Im saying with the salary cap etc over time it will even itself out. Player salaries will obviously be higher as much as revenues will be higher so you are not just going to be able to stockpile 22 world class players and there are more than enough top players to go around 14 sides across Europe (we have more than 14 top sides already)
This format needs 20 teams initially. 15 founder members. Some teams are made founder teams as they're ready to stick their head out for the sake of inclusion.

It's not that the 15 privileged would stay as is this small forever. They just need to make the first edition ESL available ASAP. Next they would be looking at expanding it, and letting more teams join the privileged. Founding members means shite without the glamor. Perez and the briefing to the media without failing to mention their intention of claiming their European successes in UEFA competition. Spurs tally as is stays 0. If Porto, Benfica, Ajax... joins in few years time, with Spurs not winning in anything in the mean while, we know what it is heading with trophies count.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This format needs 20 teams initially. 15 founder members. Some teams are made founder teams as they're ready to stick their head out for the sake of inclusion.

It's not that the 15 privileged would stay as is this small forever. They just need to make the first edition ESL available ASAP. Next they would be looking at expanding it, and letting more teams join the privileged. Founding members means shite without the glamor. Perez and the briefing to the media without failing to mention their intention of claiming their European successes in UEFA competition. Spurs tally as is stays 0. If Porto, Benfica, Ajax... joins in few years time, with Spurs not winning in anything in the mean while, we know what it is heading with trophies count.
The 15 founders teams will have more access to money than the other 5 quite clearly and over a more sustained period since they are guaranteed entry.

ti vu

Secretly, would the FA not love 6 or 7 SL clubs in their league? It would be a sort of mini SL on its own with fresh matchups.
But they need to bow to the Big Picture(? Forgot the name) proposed by 6 SL, as SL need more space to fit all the extra their games with already crammed schedule.

Lyricist

Everyone should calm their tits for now, the way UEFA and the media are driving their own narrative screams of hypocrisy. They give zero fecks about the fans and it's always about the money.
UEFA are obviously no saints and have come up with so many stupid ideas in the past. But now is not the time to shit on them and I can’t understand why some people are doing this.

Real life incarnations of Mr. Burns (The Simpsons character) are threatening our very principles and traditions of football. How many leagues are there across Europe? These billionaire owners that bought historic clubs that they didn’t help build are now trying to suck the game dry like leeches. Creating a competition where this randomly selected group of “founding fathers” are breaking away from the rest of European football in order to maximize their profits. They’re basically trying to turn European football into what would essentially be the American sports franchise system. They’re basing their positions on sporting achievements of historic teams from the past. None of these billionaires have anything to do with those historic successes.

15 clubs that for no objective reason would now be exempt from relegation and are just trying to cheat themselves ahead of competition. Leicester are potentially qualifying for the CL this season. “So what” say Arsenal. If Arsenal for example can’t qualify based on their sporting performances, they’ll just join a new competition where their performances don’t matter and they can never not make it. Meanwhile Leicester’s ambitions, all they achieved in the last 10 years to establish themselves through good work, is rendered meaningless because their competitors are just switching to a new competition where they get granted automatic qualification.

What happens to a league’s race for European qualification when barely any of the top clubs want to participate in the regular European competitions from now on. CL and EL would become a joke? But they can’t be scrapped either as then the other clubs just have nothing left to play for.

There are only 5 spots for additional teams from all leagues across Europe. For the next 23 years!!! What about the other leagues that are fighting themselves up the 5 year ranking in order to be granted more European qualification spots.

Why would one league out of all of Europe’s leagues be granted almost a third of the total amount of spots within the super league through automatic qualification. Then the other English teams could presumably still fight for a 7th qualification slot as well. How is it a European competition with 7 English sides but none from 95% of Europe’s other countries.

Greedy bastards, the lot of them. Taking away the dreams ambitions of the smaller teams because the hundreds of millions that they make are still not enough.

Last edited:

Ady87

The main issues are SIX being from prem, no clear pyramid and the founding teams being untouchable and obviously missing German teams and PSG etc.

This is it. If PSG/Dortmund/Bayern aren't the 3 teams meant to be coming in, then who is it? If they were holding back from being included in the initial wave for whatever reason, why would they jump in now after the reception it's received?

Maybe I'm looking at it in the wrong way thinking it couldn't possibly work with 6 PL clubs by comparing it with the existing UCL format, although we are currently overrepresented there compared to other countries too so it's not much of a leap.

dinostar77

Definitely how can you have a european super league but not teams from all the major football countries in europe? Makes no sense, where is the interest for the portguese broadcaster when there is no Benfica, Porto, Sporting Lisbon? Wheres the dutch interest without Ajax, Feyenoord & PSV? Turkish interest without Gala, Fenebache? French interest without PSG, Marseille and Lyon?

Its a half baked idea driven by greed and nothing else, pure financial greed.

OverratedOpinion

If you put all of the major issues aside does anyone else worry that the other clubs will use the huge increase in revenue to build super teams whilst ours will just inflate the Glazers bank account and we will end up getting battered very frequently?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I wouldn’t be so sure on that, I think his position will be to offer the selfish six an amicable solution and present outwardly that he is eager to find a solution, he’s a clever man. If that doesn’t work then I 100% think he’d vote to kick them out.
No it won't happen. TV money would evaporate and let's face it, without TV money, none of those 14 will survive.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If you put all of the major issues aside does anyone else worry that the other clubs will use the huge increase in revenue to build super teams whilst ours will just inflate the Glazers bank account and we will end up getting battered very frequently?
That is absolutely what will happen, I think I’m right in saying the Glazers have taken more money from our club than any other owner from any other club? I think anyway.

izec

Dont think the Glazers would have an incentive for us to be bad all the time and end up last. But they wont invest for us to compete. If we finish midtable, thats enough for them i guess.

ti vu

The 15 founders teams will have more access to money than the other 5 quite clearly and over a more sustained period since they are guaranteed entry.
That what you think. There is no guaranteed. There is stopping from adding more privileged teams as the SL expand.

By Privileged teams, I meant those would get future guaranteed entry, same access to money, if even they're not the original founders. It's for the ESL interest, to eventually admit the like of Bayern for example to boost its reputation, and Bayern deserve the privilege since they're strong team capable of boosting the competition if they join.

cyberman

But they need to bow to the Big Picture(? Forgot the name) proposed by 6 SL, as SL need more space to fit all the extra their games with already crammed schedule.
I think this replaces big picture though. Its a CL alternative. No way they try and reshape English football after this.
Its eye opening how brainwashed we are towards a top 4 race, as if thats more important than the possibility of having 6 top sides going for the title and improving the quality of the league

troylocker

It's good to see the resistance from fans, media, governments, NT-coaches, footballplayers and managers. This won't happen!
If it does now, the clubs that break out and join ESL deserves nothing and I hope the fans turn their backs on them.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Dude, are you getting paid by UEFA? No one cares about them. It's the teams that make the competition, not the random suits behind it. No need to be salty about it.

And the European Cup and Champions League belong to the clubs who won it, not to UEFA. UEFA might have organized the tournament but they are nothing but empty cash grabbing suits who are no better than the people behind the SL. Where is that romantic high moral stance on UEFA coming from?
Why the hell do you keep saying that? A lot of people care.

UEFA own the rights to the pinnacle of European club competition. Most teams care very deeply about it. So profoundly that they took a stop and tried to break away from it to keep getting money, despite having absolutely no merit to being in this proposed league.

Not only that, they’ve had the temerity to convert their previous wins with UEFA, (if any, as there are 4 clubs whom never fecking won the competition before). The absolute state of their arrogance, Yet no one cares for it. I can guarantee you most football fans care. Even City fans whom apparently hate UEFA but then desperately want to win the bloody thing every season.

For The Revolution

I voted "YES" for the ESL because:

1. I'm sick of VAR, the lack of consistency of English referees. I'm honestly tired of being frustrated with the lack of accountability with refereeing

2. I lost interest in watching Manutd games against the likes of Granada, Burnley, Cyrstal Palace, etc. I find myself always scrolling through Instagram during these small team games. During big games against the likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea, however, I'm fully emotionally invested. And I like that feeling. So hopefully the ESL can bring back my passion for football

3. I'm sick of paying multiple telecommunications hundreds of dollars per month for sports coverage. The ESL can solve this issue by having its own network or partnering up with leading streaming companies such as Netflix, Hulu, or Disney. I do not mind for paying affordable streaming services. Currently, I'm subscribed to Netflix and Disney.

From a football fan perspective that does not reside in UK, I don't see any downside to the ESL. I notice that is a lot of talk of "English Pyramid", "Coaches jobs", "Stadium infrastructures investment", "UK tv rights", etc. Not to be insensitive, but none of those are a concern to global football fans that just want to watch the best players compete against each other in a convenient platform at bargain prices.

The stuff that excites me most about football:

1. Watching the best team which also means best players and managers competing against each other

2. Transfer market. Imagine trading Bruno Fernandes for Harry Kane. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think that is what us younger fans want to see. Shocking and exciting transfers. Changing team dynamics, etc

I think the ESL can provide an outstanding product. I will probably receive backlash for this post. But this is my geniune opinion, and I cannot wait for football to be exciting again. I want to be emotionally invested week in and week out, and that can only happen if the best players in terms of skills and branding are pitted against each other.

ti vu

That is absolutely what will happen, I think I’m right in saying the Glazers have taken more money from our club than any other owner from any other club? I think anyway.
The thing with Barcelona, and Real Madrid is that their president can be ousted, so they're pushed to fight to be the best. With Glazers, there is no power to stop them. Them taking of their best interest by pocketing the profit is natural,

Last edited:

Oldyella

Who cares, we still get our invite to the big party right?

Siorac

If the competition goes ahead in its current format, I don't really care what we do in it. The whole thing looks immensely boring.

flappyjay

That would serve no one. Crystal Palace owner was on SKY and the moment this was brought up, he immediately mentioned there is no way that will happen.
These 14 other teams also have wage budgets that need all the TV money in full, especially after a year without fans. Burnley have just been put in debt by their new owners for instance.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Viewing figures for games involving the likes of us, Barcelona, Madrid etc are always higher than those involving teams like Leipzig or Napoli. The hype around us v Milan in a damp squib round of 16 game was amongst the biggest the EL has ever had. That's what it comes down to. The CL has become too big and diluted.

I'm not sure why Spurs are being allowed in to this.
Its purely down to money mate. Spurs are in the top 10 most valuable clubs in the world - that is the only reason they are there.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Watching football on tv should be free of charge. No tv money. Football to the people, also the poor. Caps should exist on transfer fees and agent fees. Investors should never be allowed to own more than 49% of a club, FFP strenghtened and the fans should be able to vote on certain matters. All this would get football back to what it was supposed to be. Maybe delusional to even say it, but in Utopia, this is paradise for all real football fans. And we would suddenly again have real competition, for all clubs, small and big - and loyal players the fans love, yet again. I would take that over todays primadonna stars any day.

ti vu

I think this replaces big picture though. Its a CL alternative. No way they try and reshape English football after this.
Its eye opening how brainwashed we are towards a top 4 race, as if thats more important than the possibility of having 6 top sides going for the title and improving the quality of the league
I just can't see how 18 group phase games + KO phase of this ESL would fit with PL and the domestic cup.

The way Big Picture was proposed, to reduce the amount of domestic games down, it just conveniently help fit in the ESL. Just my 2 cents.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Does anyone think it's realistic that Chelsea, Real, Man City, Man United and Arsenal all get booted from the Champs League/Europa?

Could they let the team's finish but just without any prize money? Would punish the owners but not the fans.

OverratedOpinion

Who cares, we still get our invite to the big party right?
I mean that is true, the soccerball bonanza is far more exciting than gradually improving to the point we might be able to compete again.

I can't wait for the fireworks and cheerleaders.

dove

1. I'm sick of VAR, the lack of consistency of English referees. I'm honestly tired of being frustrated with the lack of accountability with refereeing

2. I lost interest in watching Manutd games against the likes of Granada, Burnley, Cyrstal Palace, etc. I find myself always scrolling through Instagram during these small team games. During big games against the likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea, however, I'm fully emotionally invested. And I like that feeling. So hopefully the ESL can bring back my passion for football

3. I'm sick of paying multiple telecommunications hundreds of dollars per month for sports coverage. The ESL can solve this issue by having its own network or partnering up with leading streaming companies such as Netflix, Hulu, or Disney. I do not mind for paying affordable streaming services. Currently, I'm subscribed to Netflix and Disney.

From a football fan perspective that does not reside in UK, I don't see any downside to the ESL. I notice that is a lot of talk of "English Pyramid", "Coaches jobs", "Stadium infrastructures investment", "UK tv rights", etc. Not to be insensitive, but none of those are a concern to global football fans that just want to watch the best players compete against each other in a convenient platform at bargain prices.

1. Watching the best team which also means best players and managers competing against each other

2. Transfer market. Imagine trading Bruno Fernandes for Harry Kane. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think that is what us younger fans want to see. Shocking and exciting transfers. Changing team dynamics, etc

I think the ESL can provide an outstanding product. I will probably receive backlash for this post. But this is my geniune opinion, and I cannot wait for football to be exciting again. I want to be emotionally invested week in and week out, and that can only happen if the best players in terms of skills and branding are pitted against each other.
Hello Ed, you should try to be more discrete.

arnie_ni

Could you imagine how much enjoyment we as fans would have sitting around mid table in a super league with no relegation, no top 4 battle, no champions league, playing reserves in the PL at the weekend.

The fun will be gone.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Does anyone think it's realistic that Chelsea, Real, Man City, Man United and Arsenal all get booted from the Champs League/Europa?

Could they let the team's finish but just without any prize money? Would punish the owners but not the fans.
Would make sense morally, but I'd expect it to be an absolute legal minefield.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

Lyricist

This attacks the entirety of the European football pyramid, not just English football.

No club from Scandinavia will ever have a chance to make it into that Super League. If they somehow do achieve to get there, they're there for 1 season and get so much money that their domestic league can be binned for the next 5 years.

Siorac

This post could only get more American if you somehow snuck in a couple of "they won't take my guns!" in there.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Of course. That’s the appeal to the yank owners. Guaranteed income that is not performance related and no risk of missing out after a bad season. Sit back and watch the money roll in. Zero incentive to actually try and win anything. Not if doing so will eat into their bottom line.

City and Chelsea , who are in this for prestige rather than profits, will be wiping the floor with the other British teams for the foreseeable future.

OverratedOpinion

I go back and forth.

The fact that Uefa could not even uphold City's ban makes me think it is unlikely at this point.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
This attacks the entirety of the European football pyramid. No club from Scandinavia will ever have a chance to make it into that Super League. If they somehow do achieve to get there, they're there for 1 season and get so much money that their domestic league can be binned for the next 5 years.
The problem is these people are selfish and openly don’t give a shit about the teams they don’t support

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I honestly find this point of view offensive.