European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They can and sometimes do but the trade-off is that you will lose the team if you succeed. In fact you even take the risk to lose the team if your proposal isn't as interesting as the one made by an other city, that's why every "small" market fanbase is currently afraid of Seattle, Las Vegas and Tampa Bay who are all looking for franchises to host.
So what? Hasn't it been demonstrated that it costs the city money? So if the city residents know this and they vote against it, then I see no problem.

passing-wind

I think their confidence isn't based on legal grounds. They just believe, not unreasonably, that FIFA wouldn't shoot itself in the foot by banning some of the most 'attractive' players from its competitions, the ones that are the biggest draw for viewers.
There's no chance these billionaires wouldn't have amassed all the estimation in the details to make a decision of such a magnitude. I'm not entirely against the idea of a super League but it needs to address risk / reward more prominently.

90 + 5min

To those who says ”but UEFA is bad to”. Well, UEFA isn’t perfect but who are giving money to smaller federations? To even say that they are on same level as this proposed fake league is so far from the truth.

0le

They are testing the waters to see the public reaction. Hopefully the message back is loud and clear.

Chairman Steve

Premier League had this coming when they let Abramovich, Glazers, Henry, Mansour and all these foreign owners come in. You can have your growth with them pumping money in but eventually they’ll have the power.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Not sure Gary made his feelings known well enough! Can't stand it when he sits on the fence :):):devil:

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I fear the end of our club and football as we know it will finally come to an end - but can’t say I’m surprised. Football has been gearing towards this for years.

Withnail

Nev is going OFF. Go on Gaz
Neville going in, skewering people left right and centre.
Go on Gary, he’s laying into everyone
Well said Gary Neville
I don’t say this very often but Gary Neville is absolutely spot on.

Well said Gaz!
often it's a blessing but I'm raging my river ran dry before the post match today.

SwedishFish

Gary Neville is minding his own investments, you sheep. His Salford City project depends on the big clubs staying and not messing up the payment structure.

Revan

Assumptionman
Also, from a spectacle perspective, what do you think happens when the system is closed? When there's no guarantee of losing your place? The CL works because exiting a competition is a reality. League systems work because relegation is a reality. The threat of relegation and exit means that lower table games are exciting because there's something to play for. What's to play for when you're in the lower half of the Super League? Nothing. What's the motivation to try when there's no consequence of being in the bottom 5-6? There isn't any.
It works in all US sports though. It is not a matter of opinion, there is a lot of evidence that it might work.

For example, two groups of two with top 4 teams of each group getting qualified for playoffs. That would mean, that the majority of the teams will be playing for playoffs, so they will have something to play.

It will probably be a bit alien, but not necessarily bad, and it can easily work.

el3mel

Will the Glazers really sacrifice PL and CL just for money ? Fans will surely backlash right ? I really can't believe this will be the future of United, to play in such shitty competition and no more thinking every season if we'll win the PL or not. FFS, please just roll out of this shit.

Superunknown

Gary coming out like a prime Stone Cold, hitting everyone with those chair shots.

Let them have it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It’s the norm here in the states so it’s not usually challenged. In cases where it is, like the Raiders, the team will just relocate. Oakland, CA didn’t want to fund a new stadium and Las Vegas did so now they’re the Las Vegas, Raiders.

This is also a big reason why relegation will never be a thing in America. Owners will not pay the franchise fee and then risk having them team drop to a lower league. Cities funding stadiums and then the team is relegated, wouldn’t be acceptable. This is the mindset in American sports and it has been extremely successful in all American leagues besides the MLS so far.
I presume it works in American sports because it has been the model from the beginning? I like that there is no relegation/promotion in those sports because it makes sense in the American context, but it has no business in European sports.

Dobba

To those who says ”but UEFA is bad to”. Well, UEFA isn’t perfect but who are giving money to smaller federations? To even say that they are on same level as this proposed fake league is so far from the truth.
The FA in this country have sat by as these suddenly oh so important clubs have folded (mostly due to relatively peanuts financial troubles) left, right and centre. Their pearl clutching today about how we need to keep the pyramid structure because money flows down from the big boys who have apparently signed up to this is the biggest load of shit I've ever heard.

0le

Gary Neville is minding his own investments, you sheep. His Salford City project depends on the big clubs staying and not messing up the payment structure.
Oh, you know, he could actually just be against the idea like most fans of football.

Seveneric

This seems like the kind of thing that will favour the super rich clubs (City, Madrid, PSG etc) in the long run, so I'm actually surprised the "rich, but not that rich" clubs like United, Arsenal and Liverpool are actually in favour.

Drainy

and Sky, BT, BBC, ITV etc will likely lose out too, so obviously there will be a lot of vested interest in discrediting the proposal

Delano

I agree with Neville 100%.

However, the irony of the Salford City owner talking about skewing the playing field hasn't been lost on lower league fans!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How the hell are Spurs and Arsenal involved in this?
Leicester and Everton must be fuming.