European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sparx99

Isn't United worth 4 billion? And didn't Glazers refused 2,5 billion offer few years ago?
The point would if the Govt made 50.1% fan ownership mandatory they would have to sell that stake to fans. They wouldn’t be allowed to keep it. In terms of the valuation that’s what would get tricky.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I don’t know about that. Ed withdrew United from the ECA and himself from a position on fifa or uefa (can’t remember which). United went balls in on this idea
Well I do know about that! It's not like clubs weren't serious, other than the sugar daddy clubs, everyone will suffer hard from the economic damages due to the pandemic and other than Chelsea and City, the owners run the club like a business instead of a project for other personal gains so they are feeling the heat.

It's just that this Super League set up was the ultimate or nuclear option. It really seems like ideally it would be used just as a pressure tool by the clubs in order to get more money and influence in the future CL. There's simply nothing concrete that would suggest a Super League would suddenly magically start next season. They've been planning for it for years, in general terms, but other than that... It would be a terrible idea from a business POV as well, they'd still have to negotiate a revolutionary broadcast deal in only a couple of weeks. More European matches while there's the COVID insecurity about filling the stadiums.

One of the most (if not the most) expensive sport enterprises in history, and all we've seen is a ridiculous name (countless of other organisations use the Super League name as well apparently), a lousy, cheap website, check it out https://thesuperleague.com, and Florentino Perez acting like my delusional uncle. In the meanwhile they've magically kept all these revolutionary plans a secret, since every journalist or other person involved in sports was just as surprised and taken aback by the idea as everyone on here. That just doesn't make sense.

On a sidenote, the weirdest thing I read today is that UEFA president Ceferin is/was supposed to be the godfather of Juventus chairman Agnelli's daughter. Which both makes for a lovely drama and perfectly illustrates how deeply intertwined all the top figures in top football are, with all the potential negative side effects from that.

Water Melon

When the dust settles all the foreign owners need to go, they need to adopt the German 50+1 rule.
All for it. I am a foreign fan, but if I was asked to contribute, I would chip in with pleasure. The leeches, the parasites showed their greed and utter stupidity once again. We know their colours and they won't change.

kps88

It's fecking comical how quickly this unraveled. That's what happens with a bunch of out of touch suits do everything in secret; there's no one around to point out how stupid your plan is.

dinostar77

Not to burst the bubble of the great news, but should we be worried about the "revenge of the glazers" over this? They could decide not to give Ole any money to strengthen the team. If they are pissed enough, they could let the club rot.

sparx99

United is worth $4.2 bn alone, are you talking about all British clubs or just United - could be a rather big loan considering they are borrowing frantically to cover Covid and Brexit.

Back in the real world...
They spent £20bn on track and trace in like 3 months. It’s a very small loan in terms of Govt budgets. They wouldn’t even necessarily have to loan it either just offer a guarantee to a bank. A fan backed leveraged buyout would work much better than the glazers leveraged buyout.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
When the dust settles all the foreign owners need to go, they need to adopt the German 50+1 rule.
A thousand times yes. Do not end this here, never forget what these cnuts have done to two institutions of European and English football. Arsenal too I guess. Clubs built on principles traditions values and ethos. Of people like Shankly Ferguson Busby Dalglish Fagan Paisley. They dragged us through the mud. They have to face a reckoning.

Seveneric

This was actually shambolic from everyone involved :houllier:

The fact that it fell apart so easily also shows the parties involved were never convinced themselves.

Giggsyking

when the dust settles and Ed and the Glazers hopefully fecks off for ever, we will be stuck with a corrupted UEFA and an oil state club who buys the league every year. I hope there is also a solution to that problem.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Let's all calm down here
You certainly weren't calm the night this shambles was announced, posting and responding to everyone. So take your pill and go watch some Classico highlights from 10 years ago.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
They spent £20bn on track and trace in like 3 months. It’s a very small loan in terms of Govt budgets. They wouldn’t even necessarily have to loan it either just offer a guarantee to a bank. A fan backed leveraged buyout would work much better than the glazers leveraged buyout.
It couldn't just be United, it would have to be for all clubs , it would cost a lot more than £20bn

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well I do know about that! It's not like clubs weren't serious, other than the sugar daddy clubs, everyone will suffer hard from the economic damages due to the pandemic and other than Chelsea and City, the owners run the club like a business instead of a project for other personal gains so they are feeling the heat.

It's just that this Super League set up was the ultimate or nuclear option. It really seems like ideally it would be used just as a pressure tool by the clubs in order to get more money and influence in the future CL. There's simply nothing concrete that would suggest a Super League would suddenly magically start next season. They've been planning for it for years, in general terms, but other than that... It would be a terrible idea from a business POV as well, they'd still have to negotiate a revolutionary broadcast deal in only a couple of weeks. More European matches while there's the COVID insecurity about filling the stadiums.

One of the most (if not the most) expensive sport enterprises in history, and all we've seen is a ridiculous name (countless of other organisations use the Super League name as well apparently), a lousy, cheap website, check it out https://thesuperleague.com, and Florentino Perez acting like my delusional uncle. In the meanwhile they've magically kept all these revolutionary plans a secret, since every journalist or other person involved in sports was just as surprised and taken aback by the idea as everyone on here. That just doesn't make sense.

On a sidenote, the weirdest thing I read today is that UEFA president Ceferin is/was supposed to be the godfather of Juventus chairman Agnelli's daughter. Which both makes for a lovely drama and perfectly illustrates how deeply intertwined all the top figures in top football are, with all the potential negative side effects from that.
Christ I just looked at their site. Musta been knocked up in a hurry

90 + 5min

United is worth $4.2 bn alone, are you talking about all British clubs or just United - could be a rather big loan considering they are borrowing frantically to cover Covid and Brexit.

Back in the real world...
Are we? I think the worth is about half what you say.

Crimson King

A thousand times yes. Do not end this here, never forget what these cnuts have done to two institutions of European and English football. Arsenal too I guess. Clubs built on principles traditions values and ethos. Of people like Shankly Ferguson Busby Dalglish Fagan Paisley. They dragged us through the mud. They have to face a reckoning.
It's probably too late for that though, these owners are already here.

You might be able to legislate to stop future owners like this coming in, but not sure what legal grounds there are for imposing rules on these clubs who've already been bought.

It's their property at the end of the day.

Nogbadthebad

This was actually shambolic from everyone involved :houllier:

The fact that it fell apart so easily also shows the parties involved were never convinced themselves.
I think its more they had convinced themselves the pushback would be a few upset supporter groups. And to be fair that is all it was in Spain and Italy.

But in the UK you had the people who own Chelsea's name and ground getting involved, players, managers the government. This is far beyond what they would have expected.

Especially the government. The likes of city and chelsea would be far, far more worried about compulsory fan involvement in the management of the club than any chance of not qualifying for champions league.

crossy1686

career ending
You certainly weren't calm the night this shambles was announced, posting and responding to everyone. So take your pill and go watch some Classico highlights from 10 years ago.
:lol: :lol: Should I have not responded to your posts? And I was perfectly calm actually and still am. Not sure why you're angry at me though, I didn't ask for the SL and I never said I was for it. It was always about an elite competition which I am still in favour for and I'm still in favour of United getting more of a cut than they currently do. But anyway, if you want to feel like you 'won' something then go ahead and revel, I'll pretend to be sad about all this and we'll all have a merry time.

Hester_manc

Not to burst the bubble of the great news, but should we be worried about the "revenge of the glazers" over this? They could decide not to give Ole any money to strengthen the team. If they are pissed enough, they could let the club rot.
Dont you think Champions League will be too important for them? They will miss out on a lot of money, if they do not reach top 4.

bsCallout

when the dust settles and Ed and the Glazers hopefully fecks off for ever, we will be stuck with a corrupted UEFA and an oil state club who buys the league every year. I hope there is also a solution to that problem.
And this may well be what wakes everyone up to that, only good can come of this.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
crossed my mind as well

sparx99

It couldn't just be United, it would have to be for all clubs , it would cost a lot more than £20bn
As of 2020 the premier league teams were worth £14.7bn. Let’s say the football league teams add up to another £6bn. That’s £20.7bn.

50% would be £10bn. Fans could have a period of time to pay it back. Or as I said in another post the govt just backs bank loans as a guarantor to fans groups.

90 + 5min

Today videogame-dream went away. Atleast for now. No QBforwards, No OLMidfielders, No penalty yards. No 65 min games. Just let him be. Though day.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
:lol: :lol: Should I have not responded to your posts? And I was perfectly calm actually and still am. Not sure why you're angry at me though, I didn't ask for the SL and I never said I was for it. It was always about an elite competition which I am still in favour for and I'm still in favour of United getting more of a cut than they currently do. But anyway, if you want to feel like you 'won' something then go ahead and revel, I'll pretend to be sad about all this and we'll all have a merry time.
Give over, you spent all night supporting this and giving everyone grief. You think people's memories are that short?

0le

Hahaha. Piss off. You were for it.

crossy1686

career ending
Give over, you spent all night supporting this and giving everyone grief. You think people's memories are that short?
:lol: No I didn't. That's what you thought because you and others were so anti-SL that anyone that wasn't anti was pro to you. I sat on the fence and offered an alternate opinion but I was damn clear about waiting to see what happened next before making a decision. Go back and check if you want

dinostar77

Great message from KDB.

Shame the two biggest stars of football are still silent.