• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Im not sure I have ever even heard any of the Glazers speak

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Agree 100%. Don't remove the uncertainty of everything. Its geniuinely exciting to see who will finish top4 this season. Thank feck we are pretty much safe, but the next 6 games are huge for 5 or 6 other clubs. If Liverpool knew they'd get in anyway because they won it a couple of years ago we are getting back into the realms of "are they really going to try that hard" - which was the whole problem with ESL in the first place.
I’ll he honest, I haven’t fully understood the new CL proposal other than a general “it looks shit”. If it significantly reduces the risk of failure to qualify for the big clubs then that pisses me off almost as much as the ESL.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's better than not addressing fans at all BUT this is a load of shite.

'The past year has been tough for all of us'. Is this guy having a laugh? Him and his cronies were literally just about to make it way worse for the other clubs and their supporters for the next 25 years.

No gush PR should fix this. Sell and feck off and I hope the scousers don't let him off the hook.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
La liga teams are still there.
I am very disappointed in Barcelona, I thought they would fight for the leadership with perez. Not let real madrid take the leadership of ESL.

Would be funny seeing laporta and perez fight for leadership of this shambolic plan

Instead they hid in the background.

Oranges038

They were reporting in France that UEFA made a proposal for an African Super League with a similar concept, don't know if it was closed too...

Read that FIFA / Infantino are behind the idea in some way. The idea is very similar, 20/24 permanent members and big payouts every year. Not surprised, but it's funny that he could be behind an African version but against the European one.

Sure only last week one of them was talking about setting up a FIFA world league.

sparx99

There should be no safeguards against a blip. If you don’t want the consequences of a blip, don’t blip.
But there are consequences already. Players sign 5yr deals on big money which relies on CL revenue.

And technically you are qualifying through performance on the field in prior years which is already how it works.

dinostar77

Question, what happens with Real Madrid now as they havent backed out of the ESL and are scheduled to play Chelsea in the CL semi final. Surely if Madrid dont pull out by friday of the ESL then chelsea should get a bye into the final?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
But there are consequences already. Players sign 5yr deals on big money which relies on CL revenue.

And technically you are qualifying through performance on the field in prior years which is already how it works.
Tough shit. If the need to consistently win football matches is a problem for the owners, then don’t buy football clubs.

Not to mention that every club retaining their place after a “blip” is taking the place of a smaller club who have had an exceptional season. Feck that.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
When the dust settles, it'll be interesting what remains the main issue people had with this, and what could have been done differently to garner a different response.

Obviously, those behind it completely messed up from a PR stand-point and went rogue in their announcement - they needed to get major news networks/broadcasters on side from the off.

Had there not been a rigid, glass ceiling for those looking up/glass floor in terms of how far the "elite" clubs could fall, that may have been another thing that would have lead to people being more receptive. Although I expect this was the crux of the issue. The big clubs wanted to create a footballing paradigm that would have seen them requiring to put in minimal effort/expenses in order to be guaranteed a seat at the top of world football.

These owners know the world they bought into is changing fast, and they've probably missed the boat in regards to seeing the optimal return on their investments. If the Glazers could, they would go back to 2017 and sell up.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Agnelli on why the Super League is still needed:

Football is no longer a game, it’s a business sector and what it needs most is stability.
"On the domestic side as well. In Europe, the most valuable match is no longer the Champions final but the English first division football playoffs to be admitted to the Premier League: 150 million. That isn’t stability.
"We need ironbound economic and financial regulations like those established in the Super League.
“The Super League will go forward regardless. If [UEFA] put forward proposals, we will take them under consideration. We’ve written to the presidents of FIFA and UEFA to begin a conversation”.

So, one of the key reasons is that Spanish and Italian clubs do not like the finances in English football.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
:lol:

Nothing funny about this he actually has a point. There are less young people following football than twenty years ago. Football is yet to enter digital age. Watching a game is the same as 30 years ago.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yes because they can spend whatever they want. The Ronaldo situation will be no big deal for them. Didn't they just bought Ruben dias for about 70 euros this season? Last season both cancelo and rodri for over 60 each? Every year they have purchases like that.

Anyway I have reached my post limit.
Yes and the cost of all three of those players combined is less than that of Ronaldo. That's the point.

Matt851

Nothing funny about this he actually has a point. There are less young people following football than twenty years ago. Football is yet to enter digital age. Watching a game is the same as 30 years ago.
Surely the biggest problem with getting young people interested is the expense associated with watching it on tv and in the ground. Removing the champions league from free to air was stupid, chasing short to gain at the harm of the long term popularity of the game

dinostar77

Interesting to listen the the Transfer Window podcast. Was recorded on monday night. In hindsight its eye opening to see how ESL had all the leverage and completely and utterly fecked it up.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm still feeling absolutely disgusted this morning. The club won't feel right until they're gone.

Thank you to all the Chelsea fans that could demonstrate yesterday evening, I hope there is bigger supporter demonstrations to come.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Of course there are less young people watching, football traditionally starts with kids being taken to games. How is a working class parent supposed to afford to take 2 kids to each home match when its going to cost half a weeks wages? Or pay for 2 TV subscriptions so they can watch from home?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
No power isn't quite accurate. Swansea have a supporters trust and it does allow for a say in matters, as well as improving accountability and transparency. It can still be circumnavigated but it's a lot better than nothing.

I think people were entitled to wait for more information. I also think some would still be onboard with the ESL proposal and that is their right, different supporters will have varying desires and ideas of how football should be played. I'm very grateful to the supporters who opposed the plans and made their voices heard though, as without the public backlash there is no doubt it would have gone ahead. Even more so to supporters of the ESL clubs who spoke out in opposition.

I agree it would be better if the fans could play a bigger part in how the clubs are run, all I'm questioning is how effective it would be.

The SL was just about the biggest PR disaster they could have managed and I think the way it was stopped was well done and clearly a voice from the fans and people involved in football in general clearly disapproved of the idea and the message got through.

What I didn't want is the PL/FA/UEFA expelling the clubs or the players and managers being forced to be confronted by the media when they had no say in what their employers were planning to do.
Although it leaves a bad smell in the way the idea was planned at least everyone didn't get entrenched and the whole football system wasn't torn apart.

SuperiorXI

I'm still feeling absolutely disgusted this morning. The club won't feel right until they're gone.

Thank you to all the Chelsea fans that could demonstrate yesterday evening, I hope there is bigger supporter demonstrations to come.
I feel the same, our club cannot truly heal with these bastards at the helm. They've got to go.

izec

That is the essence of the sport. 22 men/women, 2 goals and 1 ball. Watching the NBA now and 30 years ago is the same as well.

Nobody says anything about implementing changes and modernising if it makes sense, but the Super League isn't the answer. Young people have now more opportunities and the internet changed a lot, top games alone wont make them tune in. The Super League is not modern, more top games doesn't make it modern.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Of course there are less young people watching, football traditionally starts with kids being taken to games. How is a working class parent supposed to afford to take 2 kids to each home match when its going to cost half a weeks wages? Or pay for 2 TV subscriptions so they can watch from home?
It's mind-boggling that football has been gatekept via costs that are prohibitive to young people yet the solution is...more gatekeeping behind additional paywalls?

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
Yes and the cost of all three of those players combined is less than that of Ronaldo. That's the point.
No they are not, and even if they are, that's not the point at all. For city, if those three players fail, no problem, buy another three and that's it. It doesn't work like that for the majority of the clubs. For whatever reason you are in denial about that, so carry on.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Right so the top six are worth $16.5bn roughly £12.5bn.
4.2 + 4.1 + 4 + 3.2 + 2.8 + 2.3 = $20.5bn without all the other clubs but I don't seriously believe the government will do anything about it, never mind the cost, the legal arguments forever more, they won't want to get involved. Boris just thought it was a good horse to back to become more popular with the disgruntled fans.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
No they are not, and even if they are, that's not the point at all. For city, if those three players fail, no problem, buy another three and that's it. It doesn't work like that for the majority of the clubs. For whatever reason you are in denial about that, so carry on.
Yes they are:

Ruben Dias - €68m transfer fee, €6m salary per year
Joao Cancelo - €65m transfer fee, €4.5m salary per year
Rodri - €62.7m transfer fee, €10.8m salary per year
Total in annualised wages over 3 years + transfer fees: €259.6m

Ronaldo transfer fee + 3 years of wages: €280m

And the point is that risk is mitigated by spreading it out across multiple players at multiple positions. Obviously City have the financial muscle to do this but that's immaterial to the point, which is that signing Ronaldo was fecking stupid.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Surely the biggest problem with getting young people interested is the expense associated with watching it on tv and in the ground. Removing the champions league from free to air was stupid, chasing short to gain at the harm of the long term popularity of the game
Exactly. There was never a problem getting young fans interested when they could actually afford to go to games with their mates - and open tickets were available on the day. Get the standing sections open at budget rates and give them priority.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
What was the Super League going to do attract kids that just want to play fortnite? Write into the contracts of every player that they must do a dance from the game when they score?

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Best thing that came out of this for us is the resignation of one Ed Woodward. :D

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
No way. The current Arsenal is no where near deserving of being in a "Super League" and even if this was an early 2000s Arsenal competing for the league, it would be a rotten idea. I'd like to believe no decent Gooner would ever consider it a good idea even if the club wasn't miles away from being anywhere near the elite.
It was a joke mate.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Removing domestic football from free to air was the real feckup. Its where you build the fans. They should learn lessons from Free to Play gaming. Get people involved for free and THEN monetize from your huge fanbase.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
This is what makes me feel like it's a been 1 big trick.

Offer us a worse case scenario and in the background rush through a new set of just rules just as bad.

Now we all feel happy and will accept whatever comes. It doesn't sound much different than the ESL honestly.
We've all been bamboozled by the door-in-the-face technique.