European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coops73

One benefit, probably wouldn't have to play Burnley again
My only hope out of this utter feckwittery is that it’ll die of death and the glazer cnuts will think they’ve milked the feck out of us and sell up.

I’m so shocked at the people who seem to be accepting for this. I’m so fecking annoyed with the idea I need to get get off here.

Guy Incognito

I doubt this will actually happen for a variety of reasons but the hypocrisy of Sky and the PL is highly amusing.

In the unlikely event it does happen it’ll probably be the final straw for me.
Yep, like football before 92 never existed.

UEFA need to reap what they sow, they expanded the CL and turned it into a money-chasing competition.

dinostar77

Do you really think players would choose to play in the more and more increasingly irrelevant international games, instead of trousering 250-300k or more in an even richer world?
Your underestimating the appeal of playing in a WC.

redom

It would also change the PL product, part of the drama these days is the "top 4 battle", especially when you have run away leaders, so removing the necessity to finish in those spots could make the ends of seasons a lot less interesting and engaging so they wont want their product tarnished.

::sonny::

Being against this isn't because you're pro Fifa or UEFA. It is because of how it would affect the fans, suddenly your club becomes some brand that has no connection to English football and plays for the highest bidder. How long would it be before these Super League games are being played in some huge money state instead of their home grounds.
This is sure, all the games would be played in dubai or quatar

RORY65

Yeah but the big teams won't mind if they're also getting a big whack of the money instead of watching Pep spend £1b on full backs and they're having to shop in the bargain bin
Who are these big teams who are currently shopping in the bargain bin?

Drainy

True, which obviously would kill the spectacle. At the same time I’d enjoy us waving two fingers at the FA. :lol: I can’t see it being a good idea mind.
I mean, the FA were against the formation of the European Cup 'as it would damage the integrity of the English game', refused to adjust kick off times and threatened to ban us from the league if we delayed a kick off (bearing in mind that air travel was more difficult back then)

Spoony

The People's President
Maybe (hopefully) they just bit off more than they could chew this time?

I think UEFA will back down and find a middle ground. They'd also be ruined without the elite clubs. It's a mess at moment, but I doubt the owners did this on a whim.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I have mixed feelings about this.
Many people were saying the same about the PL. But it has been a huge success.
However, I really don't like the concept of fixed leagues with no relegation. By the sound of it, it could become stale.
Anyway, we are in a rapidly changing world, so we will see how it all pans out.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Being against this isn't because you're pro Fifa or UEFA. It is because of how it would affect the fans, suddenly your club becomes some brand that has no connection to English football and plays for the highest bidder. How long would it be before these Super League games are being played in some huge money state instead of their home grounds.
I believe that is next in line personally

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
How would it make Sky and the PL hypocrites?
Because they both make bank from a competition formed as a breakaway that has caused enormous damage to the leagues below, and they take every opportunity to rip fans off for every penny they can.

They’re only outraged because they sense financial ruin

dinostar77

The full article is on the NY times website behind a paywall. You can read it despite the paywall, but im not gonna go into how as dont want to get banned by admins or post the article in full here and get banned.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
If this happens, people will moan a bit then still renew their season tickets.

They keep making changes but get away with it because, in normal times anyway, the grounds are still full.

flappyjay

I see it turning into the American sports system

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I mean, the FA were against the formation of the European Cup 'as it would damage the integrity of the English game', refused to adjust kick off times and threatened to ban us from the league if we missed a kick off (bearing in mind that air travel was more difficult back then)
Exactly, they have taken great pleasure in being against us.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I think UEFA will back down and find a middle ground. They'd also be ruined without the elite clubs. It's a mess at moment, but I doubt the owners did this on a whim.
You're absolutely right mate. I don't think that anything set in stone but nevertheless im fecking trembling, not less because United is sadly all I have and id fecking hate to lose it.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Arguing with another member
Shut up man. I think that skys strategically placed slaughter of this Super League that hasn't in any way got the go-ahead and that we evidently know very little about is all to do with money.

They know that they are standing to lose the most on this.
Or perhaps it’s just a massive football fan speaking openly. He gets slated by cnuts like you for sucking up to the glazers but when he’s condemning them in a passionate speech he’s doing it for his own interest/sky’s interest.

By the way, these super league games will still be shown on TV you know?

laughtersassassin

The club is a disgrace for signing up to this. Comparisons to when the Premier League was formed are wide of the mark.

If the Premier League docked all the clubs involved points including us I'd be all for it.
Glazers wouldn't care so you'd be punishing the wrong people doing that tbf

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Premier league has clubs like Leicester City winning the League and clubs like west ham fighting for top 4.

I love the diversity of the clubs compared to other leagues. Feeling like the top is fighting the top purely on celebrity status is a bit "meh" for me.

VojjE

I am with Neville 90pts deduction to all teams signed up to it. Going to take years for this to get through, send them to the Champo and cut off the CL money.
I mean if they did enacted that punishment then the clubs wanting to breakoff would have little to no option but to go through with it.

Everyone wants to have their cake and eat it to in this scenario. The big clubs believe they are entitled to more of the revenue which they help to bring into the league. The leagues are trying to preserve the status quo in a world that has changed a lot since the premiership's inception. I think a compromise may be reached with the olive branch consisting of streaming rights of x amounts of games through the clubs own media channels.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Partly a method of getting more money due to their impact yes, but not to spite them, as they'll still be involved!
It's not even partly, it has nothing to do with them and everything to do with money. So to make it short prior to 2008 there used to be the G-14, aka the football mafia who specilalized in blackmail for more money, here you have an example from 2003. In 2008 the G-14 managed to really scare the UEFA and made them sign a memorandum of understanding, the G-14 became the ECA and pretended to play nice. Since then the ECA threaten to create its own super league whenever a new deal or memorandum is to be signed and every time the UEFA caves and give them something.

PS: The UEFA is corrupt on its own but big clubs are also vile and it has nothing to do with oil money or FFP.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
People in here saying football is nothing without fans.

There's not a person on this forum that wouldn't pay £30 a month for ONE subscription to watch elite football on a weekly basis.
feck you talking about? I will not pay a single penny to watch a single match from that league. Nor will i watch it for free on illegal streams like ITV and the likes. Has the whole world gone mad? Nobody has any principles anymore?

Chairman Steve

It is funny watching Sky squirm about this I must say. Them and BT are the ones who’ve glorified a lot of these billionaire owners like Abramovich and say that foreign ownership has helped the PL become the best league in the world. The PL would happily let Saudis take over another club just to further line their pockets and cement their status as “BESTEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD EVA”

90 + 5min

Next step would be relocating teams from its location?

Oh, it rains here to much. Lets move teams to (insert country)

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
People think English football can live without United and Liverpool? Ha. That's 66% of the entire product right there.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
To be fair, I can sympathize with Arsenal. They're so far off the elite now that this is the only way they can stay relevant :lol:

So what happens to fantasy premier league?