European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Interval

Level
Balls. The entire argument that fans will get to watch United play better clubs like Jube is just crap. For one, it is extremely disrespectful to the types of Leicester who have won more leagues than us in the last 5 yrs. Or Burnley or Sheffield who give us a good match every time we play them.

But that aside, it's crap because of what the motive behind it is. Fans can see through the facade that this is being done to milk whatever little money more they can off the fans and not because they care about the quality of opposition and improving their level of football. This is money grabbing grub and the fact that they feel like they don't even have to take the fans opinion on board before announcing it shows how much they care about "fans" beyond the Dollar signs drawn on them.

So yeah, feck em. Glazers included. Sure it'll be fun to become the Burnley of a European League and then laugh at the people acting all high and mighty about playing them every season. But I'd enjoy it if it weren't my fecking club pulling the strings

RORY65

Imagine the domestic leagues without these teams? The whole concept of overseas TV rights goes for a toss right there. The sheer number of lawsuits the domestic leagues will face ?
The clubs in this super league wouldn't want to stay in their domestic competitions anyway, they just can't come out and announce that straight away. They will want to play at weekends for the TV audience, will want to play around the world and will decide playing each other even more will be more worthwhile than playing the likes of Burnley.

crossy1686

career ending
Football hasn't been about the fans for an awful long time, don't get the faux outrage.
The holy than thou outrage is perplexing to be honest. We're talking about a potential return to the early 00's level of football, with a collection of brilliant teams slugging it out. People are really scared of change it seems.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
From the Athletic for those that haven't read the details yet:
Sounds messy. If teams are playing as guaranteed members of the super league and also in their own leagues we could end up where some team is a guaranteed member whilst finishing in the bottom half of their own league.

The guaranteed members can't be competing domestically for it to work, in my view.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Can't you see that your owner is partly responsible for this happening?

When you have Middle Eastern countries buying up small clubs in PSG n City and upsetting the status quo of elite football you're going to get a lot of unhappy major clubs.

Abramovich was the light the ignited the fuse. The UAE n Qatar have added the oil to the fire literally.
I literally have no respect for opinions like this.

What you want are smaller clubs to remain small permanently and there's no point pretending otherwise. It's just pure protectionism.

If United was some tinpot club, of course you'd want new owners that can build up the club's reputation.

If football was like you wanted, with the same big teams, and the big players only going to the same teams.....how boring is that? Under your mind numbingly boring world, we wouldn't ever be able to see a fantastic fixture like Bayern Vs PSG.

United have more than enough money to compete. The fact that United haven't lifted a title since Fergie left is down to disgraceful mismanagement and NOT money.

MDFC Manager

I have to disagree lad. 'We' had no power at all in this but the PL did. No matter what the fan protest were we had no real power to stop the takeover. However the people that literally run the League watched their biggest club being taken over, knowing that the debt was going to put onto the club. They did nothing. You want proof they could have done something then look at how they stopped Newcastle becoming the newest oil club. The fact is that the PL alone were the ones with the power to stop it. Do you really think the Glazer's gave a feck about fans opinions back then? What were you going to do, self-immolate outside Old Trafford while Joel lit a cigarette off your burning remains? The PL created this. In fact, if I recall, they literally created a new rule to stop the leveraged buy that happened to us after the fact.

On the other hand they let the likes of UAE and Roman to buy these clubs because they love the money they bring. The PL are equally as responsible for this happening via their short sighted money fuelled antics.

I agree with everything you've said otherwise. I hate those owners as much as you do but I would never blame the fans for that shit happening. The fault lies with UEFA and the individual league's governing bodies.
Cracking post, completely agree

Bobade

Mate the biggest issue is that the PL allowed it happen. Why allow this shit to happen and then cry foul at the consequences? The PL should have stepped in and said that no way could we be bought and have that debt put on the club. Now what we have is the PL calling 'fair play'. These problems were created by the likes of PL and UEFA alone and no one else. "Wow scumbag owners who only care abut themselves are acting in a selfish way"! The time to stop this was years ago but they did nothing and now this is the result.

By the way we are already the relative bottom feeders in the PL now anyway.
How can 2nd in the league be bottom feeders ?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The holy than thou outrage is perplexing to be honest. We're talking about a potential return to the early 00's level of football, with a collection of brilliant teams slugging it out. People are really scared of change it seems.
As a consumer who likes watching the best teams play the best teams, I like this idea.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Could this be football's Brexit moment?

Does UEFA need the big clubs of England and Spain more than the big club of England and Spain need UEFA?

simplyared

As far as I understand the clubs involved will take part in a super league thus no longer playing in their current leagues. Which means the English clubs involved won't be playing in the PL any longer. To be a part of this league you have to have the required financial clout. As long as those requirements are met and maintained then the clubs will not be "relegated" and no other clubs will be able to get into the league on merit alone. Again it will be financial status which is the deciding factor.
A SAD DAY FOR FOOTBALL

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Yes and no.

First, it will not be under UEFA's umbrella. Second, it will be the same teams every year (or at least 12-15 of them, with 5 or so being qualified). I think it would be more an NBA of European football.

I still haven't made my mind, but I probably would like it. I also think it will make the other competitions very irrelevant.
So only a few clubs would qualify for 'CL' whilst the breakaways always have a spot?
I think there will be a compromise somewhere.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Can't help but feel that spending power of state run clubs have accelerated this.

The big clubs are making losses trying to keep up with the Arabs.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Never going to happen, UEFA and premier league have already condemned it.

Plus UEFA have already said that any team that participates in it will be banned from ALL competitions, domestically and in europe. Players may also be banned from repping their country in Euros/WC's

If players put their foot down, it won't happen, plus if it happens then there's only a ESL, then it'll be so bad as there's no cup competitions (unless they make their own, but that really makes the league kinda pointless)

Any club who joins the European Super League will be banned from the Premier League, the FA Cup, Serie A, La Liga and UEFA competitions.

Their players are also at risk of being stopped from joining up with their national teams and, potentially, representing them at World Cups and European Championships, according to a joint statement.

https://theathletic.com/news/european-super-league-premier-league/i5ilPK1rFttI

The statements are pretty condemning of it.

The 20 clubs would be split into two 10-team groups. Each team in a group would play home and away matches against one another. The top four teams in each group would then play a knockout play-off across the two divisions to decide the champion for the season.

There would be home and away legs in the quarter-finals and semi-final, with a final played at a neutral venue.

It would also see a best versus worst approach to the knockout matches, with the team with the best record playing the team with the eighth-best record. This would also apply to the semi-finals.

Matches would take place in midweek, with the exception of the final. Clubs would still play in their domestic leagues.

https://theathletic.com/news/european-super-league-premier-league/i5ilPK1rFttI

Reads like a US style competition, but if we can still play in domestic leagues, then surely the Prem can come to an agreement. But if they ban them from the PL then what's the point, might as well not sign up

I literally have no respect for opinions like this.

United have more than enough money to compete. The fact that United haven't lifted a title since Fergie left is down to disgraceful mismanagement and NOT money.
This is where you're opinion is utter dogshit and why the clubs want this, because United cannot compete, of course United cannot fecking compete with the state of the United Arab Emirates, one of the richest states on the fecking planet. City went from zero PL titles to now having won 5 of the past 10, and the domination is accelerating with it set to be 3 from 4.

So many deluded people have no idea where all this has stemmed from. No team can compete.

JSArsenal

What would this mean for tv rights deals? I doubt the contract the PL has with Sky and other broadcasters refers to United and Liverpool and being guaranteed to have those teams because of the frankly microscopic chance that those teams could be relegated over the course of said tv deal. However, clearly a broadcaster bought the rights to the league on the assumption that they would get to broadcast games with Liverpool, Chelsea etc.

Now with this, are Sky going to kick up a fuss over paying whatever it is they're paying to show Everton vs Newcastle as the biggest game of the season?

It's not, it's the FA that won't let us compete in it and are threatening to ban us from domestic competition if we do.
It's shameful that clubs with such great histories would even be pushing for this: a closed shop, separate from the other clubs. Another dark stain on our club, just the latest of many under the tenure of those Glazer parasites.

MDFC Manager

Oh by the way City have so many clubs around the world now, they could make their own 'super league' :D

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Domestic leagues can't and won't ban the only teams people are really paying to watch
Exactly, they can't. Don't know why the domestic leagues are pissed. These teams hasn't said anything about leaving their domestic league anyway. UEFA on other hand, I just love it. :lol:

M Bison

Supports
York City
It’s clearly driven by money but I’d love to know the financial workings of this, how can a club that enters this super league, be financially better off than in the PL?

Or is the assumption that all the television money will follow them so they’ll get a greater share of it? Amazon/Netflix deals etc?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Or even Bayern for that matter. Everyone is aware of the antics they pull off in their league with respect to transfers.
The two dominant teams of their leagues don’t like this. They don’t want challenges! They want a monopoly

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As well as Spurs and Arsenal.

I mean if you want to see the actual best teams slugging it out then a system where 15 are guaranteed a place independent of merit is hardly ideal.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
This is where you're opinion is utter dogshit and why the clubs want this, because United cannot compete, of course United cannot fecking compete with the state of the United Arab Emirates, one of the richest states on the fecking planet.

So many deluded people have no idea where all this has stemmed from.
Exactly. They’ve given UEFA a chance with FFP to ensure spending is reduced - it failed. They’ve asked for more control over domestic/European tv rights to increase revenues - it was rejected. What did people expect? We just become City and PSGs fecking feeder club?

Castia

The premier league will turn into a year long Carabao Cup used by the super league clubs to rest players and play youngsters, it’s literally pointless when all the money is in the other league (or will be at least when the top 6 leave)

SwedishFish

The clubs in this super league wouldn't want to stay in their domestic competitions anyway, they just can't come out and announce that straight away. They will want to play at weekends for the TV audience, will want to play around the world and will decide playing each other even more will be more worthwhile than playing the likes of Burnley.
That is a lot of projection of ideas in one post.

kps88

As a consumer who likes watching the best teams play the best teams, I like this idea.
But Spurs and Arsenal aren't even among the best teams in England right now. Atlanta could finish above Juventus in Italy.