European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crossy1686

career ending
Playing the likes of RM, Barca, etc... every week devalues the prestige of draws or ties that come when you get into the higher stages of European competitions. It would never last, especially if the included teams were also allowed to play in their domestic leagues and cups at the same time. Players would be run ragged and injuries more frequent. Terrible idea.
No it doesn't. Go back and look at the CL group stage 2 from the 00's. It was the pinnacle of elite football:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000–01_UEFA_Champions_League_second_group_stage#

Ranchero

It's because the likes of Barca are haemorrhaging money in the PSG/City inflated market, they need more guaranteed money in order to be able to compete and not go under in the process.
Aye but it has always peed me off that Real were able to afford to take Ronaldo off us because they got far more money from the La Liga tv rights than we were..and it continues. Talk about Financial Fair play? There has never been any when Real.and Barca get half the Tv revenues and the rest of La Liga including Atletico share the rest, while in the Prem all the clubs get an equal share. So there is no differential between what Burnley get and what United get. Who wants to watch Burnley?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Except that in Spain Real and Barca are in on it, and they do not have foreign owners. It amazes me that Barc and Real are doing this when, unlike the Prem, they share 50% of the TV money with the other La Liga clubs sharing the remainder. So the big two in Spain have a huge financial advantage from TV compared to big clubs in the Prem where the TV money is shared equally amongst all clubs, no matter how much of a draw they are.
Significant financial advantage, yes. But also significant financial mismanagement. The greed of these clubs is sickening.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For people that missed it, this is where it comes from it's a long standing issue. This sentence echoes what the G-14, ECA and the cartel of top clubs have been doing for more than 20 years.

Several months later, in August 2016, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge made a sensitive statement at a meeting of the European Club Association (ECA). By that time, he had been chairman of the ECA -- the world's largest club alliance, representing the interests of more than 220 teams -- for eight years. According to the minutes of one meeting, Rummenigge said that "the big clubs received big offers to create a super league and that UEFA then called for a meeting with representatives of some of these big clubs a couple of weeks ago with a proposal to keep European club football united."

The message was clear: Unless the big clubs got more money and power from UEFA, they would start their own league.For smaller and midsized clubs, whose interests the ECA is also supposed to protect, such a scenario would be a disaster. UEFA distributes TV revenues to teams playing in the Europa League and Champions League according to a revenue-sharing formula ensuring that smaller teams also get a cut. But if the top clubs were to turn their backs on the UEFA competitions, the other clubs would lose out on millions in revenues. For some of the clubs, such a rearrangement could threaten their very existence.

In big parts due to their faults, their solutions is a big treason to their faithful fans.
"treason", bloody hell. I think so many fans are getting too emotional, they want it to replace the CL, we've replaced the old EC in my time, we've been banned from it for years too.

People hate change, but makes no mistake, the takeovers of PSG and City have forced this.

Born2Lose

Gary Neville said it spot on.
Of course he did, he's probably the footballer whose benefitted most from Sky's dominance.

I must have missed Gary ripping Sky a new one over their above inflation price increases at the time of pandemic.

stevoc

There was a leak suggesting that a spending cap would be in place at 55% of revenue earned but I’m not sure how legitimate it is. I think this league is born out of frustration from Barce and Real at clubs like City and PSG throwing around oil money, they’ll be something in place.
Of course it is, once Oil rich countries were allowed to own football clubs this was inevitable.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He's fecking shill. Sully you've made more informative posts in 12 months than Ducker and Ogden have did in years. Last time Ogden got something right was when he said that United wanted Lukaku on Phill Brown's show. I mean he's a total fecking shill. It would be awkward if you were that ugly looking creature.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Do the Glazers own all of the other signed up sides? Barca and Real too?
The point (imo) is that the football landscape has been changed by both petro-state owners and those like the Glazers who were not only interested in making money from United but had a distinct agenda for the future of top-level football. Barca and Real buying into this super-league is a reflection of that changed landscape.

Ultimately this is football reaping what it sowed.

And a lot of the fans who will now complain about are among those who would dismiss concerns about Glazer ownership and/or welcome the idea of Saudi investment in the club without thought to what it does to the way football works.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
"treason", bloody hell. I think so many fans are getting too emotional, they want it to replace the CL, we've replaced the old EC in my time, we've been banned from it for years too.

People hate change, but makes no mistake, the takeovers of PSG and City have forced this.
It's a total dead rubber of a tournament they want that no fans are remotely interested in and at the same time it's a slap in the face to all the other clubs in Europe. It's utterly shameless and every fan should be outraged.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Of course he did, he's probably the footballer whose benefitted most from Sky's dominance.

I must have missed Gary ripping Sky a new one over their above inflation price increases at the time of pandemic.
And Sky trying to charge PPV games.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Why are the Glazers getting all the shit for this? :lol: Not the only ones.

Never hear the media criticizing FSG.
I'd imagine similar things are being said about other owners in their own countries / via their own local reporters. Naturally, a United forum will gravitate towards the local view of our own parasites.

And it's only a couple of hours since Neville reserved his most scathing criticism for Liverpool on Sky.

Nogbadthebad

Christ, not only is it absolutely mental from a fan perspective, with most away games needing a trip abroad, and it won't be long before United Liverpool is played at the Raymond James Stadium in Tampa too, but its just random teams.

I mean you could put Arsenal in a league of one and they'd still find a way to come second at the moment.

Tevez's Mum

Kia Joorabchian's Ho!
Definitely feels like the idea came from America. They don't use the system of people being relegated or promoted. NFL and NBA teams are fixed...not matter how bad they are.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Feck this arrogant attitude. They've been letting in "shite" teams for all over Europe since back when it was called the European Cup. What changed is that they started letting in teams that didn't win their leagues.
Sadly the fact that the person you are replying to is unaware of this very basic fact is of no surprise.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
You think City would be happy if they were the traditional big club and Utd came from nowhere with cash from some oil rich Prince? Of course they wouldn't.

State ran clubs are the reason this idea is even being floated and I hate it. I want football to go back to when clubs actually earned their way to the top. But those days are done.

PSG and City have taken the piss and big clubs have had enough.
I see your point, but in football, success usually breeds more success i.e. clubs that "earn their way to the top" usually stay at the top for a long time unless something disruptive happens (like new money injected into other clubs for example).

Effectively United had monopoly over Manchester and Arsenal had monopoly over London until Chelsea & City had serious money injected into their clubs.

Without that money, United & Arsenal would continue to have a chokehold over Manchester and London pretty much permanently.

Btw, I shouldn't have said that I have no respect for your opinion, I think that was rude and uncalled for, so apologies for that.

(I should also add that the PL benefited somewhat from serious investment. We could conceivably have 4 English finalists in European competitions yet again -Arsenal/United/Chelsea/City are all European semi finalists)

UncleBob

The point (imo) is that the football landscape has been changed by both petro-state owners and those like the Glazers who were not only interested in making money from United but had a distinct agenda for the future of top-level football. Barca and Real buying into this super-league is a reflection of that changed landscape.

Ultimately this is football reaping what it sowed.

And a lot of the fans who will now complain about are among those who would dismiss concerns about Glazer ownership and/or welcome the idea of Saudi investment in the club without thought to what it does to the way football works.
Welcomed in by the PL and UEFA.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Well....I am going to call it now.

I don't think this will happen.

The clubs must be aware that there is a very real risk that the domestic leagues will kick them out so that means no FA Cup or Premiership (how the hell do away fans travel to matches in a Super League?). No Champions League meaning the running thread that is the CL and was the European Cup will end.

A very real risk that FIFA and UEFA will ban players involved from playing in the World Cup and Euros so would be interesting to see how players would react to that.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
for sure I can see that to an extent. I will say the Glazers bought Utd and raped it of profits and used it as a bank loan. that’s different to oil money. I’d suggest totally blaming city is a little rich. If you read my post it was to cross boundaries and we are all fans. however each have their own views. Id suggest this has grown and grown. Greed and egos.
Don't get me started on our owners. They are parasites. But we are relatively competitive in spite of them.

This whole idea is awful I agree but it's definitely partly in response to City n PSG. I have no doubt about it.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The point is that we have been here before with people up in arms about change in football. Senior English footballing stakeholders have a terrible track record in supporting the development of the elite game. If it was up to England, there would have been no World Cup, have been no Euros, have been no European club competitions.
So six teams should leave the league?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Exactly!

Its all about the TV & online streaming revenue
I won't be watching if it means I have to find even more money. I am sick of being ripped off. I will just watch the PL without United if it happens. Sky would be mad to kick the Big 6 out, unless they sneakily renegotiate to contract for less money.

cyberman

I think that's the idea yeah, all clubs involved will be extremely rich. Right now clubs like Barca are haemorrhaging money just to try and compete, the idea of this league is surely to try and level the playing field financially somewhat.
Heres the thing, i think somethings needed and its thanks to the EPL. We were a Newcastle away from having another oil club in our league. Can you imagine the Saudis, City, a well run Utd and Chelsea all pushing each other?
England would be a super league in itself. Winning the league is fast appoaching being harder to win the the European cup.
This isnt the answer though. No club has a right to be at the top which Barca and Madrid (especially) are saying with this. We get to bully other clubs in the market but when the other shoe falls we need to revamp the CL..ok El Classico.
The likes of Utd, Spurs etc have been battling oil money for a long time now, just join in on the struggle at this point.

mu4c_20le

The formation of the PL was a minor act of rebranding compared to this, which will radically alter the European football landscape. No comparison at all.
True, but the point is that history is written. I have my own reservations about this, but that isn't one of them.

It's a total dead rubber of a tournament they want that no fans are remotely interested in and at the same time it's a slap in the face to all the other clubs in Europe. It's utterly shameless and every fan should be outraged.
I'm not outraged, because of the bigger picture. If City and PSG were stopped, I'd be dead against it, but feck the U.A.E and the FA, the fecking cnuts have utterly devalued the competition and City's domination is accelerating, no team can compete against a state without massive reform.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Okay apart from the loyalists in here most people don't want it. Big wheels turning, us minions have no idea. I have to wonder if its a phoney war, that something else is the real target. #GlazersOut

Ranchero

Significant financial advantage, yes. But also significant financial mismanagement. The greed of these clubs is sickening.
I agree. I am beyond appalled that execs at our club have even discussed breaking away from English football. What would be left? Leicester, West Ham and Everton, Leeds, Villa....

Good on Bayern for coming out at rejecting it. Show more feeling for our game than the money-fixated execs in charge of our club. It is a shameful shameful chain of events.

Swedish_Plumber

How are Man City even fecking invited, they’ve won a few league titles, never won a champions league, got about ten fans, what criteria have they met other than having shitloads of money?
Because this whole idea is based on greed. No surprise that they’d be invited in too. No clubs involved here are better or worse than each other. It’s all completely indicative of how the world runs.