European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Not really. In the grand scheme of things, football clubs make up a small proportion of the UK economy. Removing/changing ownership of companies means overseas investors may re-think investing in any industry, if there is the threat that the government will just effectively nationalise. They won't do it, it'll be economic suicide on the back of Brexit.
How do you take it from them? You pay them off? Cheating is one thing, but private owneship is another thing. Especially in the west it is a big deal. And what about other investmens?
Good points. I am no Corbyn supporter but what you can do is mandate a sale of the percentage of the club (at least 51%) to the public over a period of time (could be 2-3 years) at the open market value. I am sure enough people will buy in. You can also mandate clubs to be debt free and give them three years to do so. My main point is if there's a will, there's a way.

Also, people talk about investments. There are things that you just don't (or rather should not) sell like key infrastructure to outside parties. We've seen that with vaccine production.

The biggest 'capitalists', the US, are happy to flex their muscle and get better deals for their state by putting in really restrictive laws (again look at the pandemic, also their defence procurement laws).

And on the point of investments, these Americans have not invested in our (Arsenal/Man Utd/Liverpool) clubs, they have not added money, the Glazers being the most obvious case where they used us as an asset to get a mortgage and keep draining the club.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn't the FA plan a 39th game once upon a time?

lsd

The Oracle
If it is American owned i would expect some kind of salary cap and a NFL style league perhaps mini divisions of 4 then a knockout stage to their Superbowl final

Gasolin

Not really. In the grand scheme of things, football clubs make up a small proportion of the UK economy. Removing/changing ownership of companies means overseas investors may re-think investing in any industry, if there is the threat that the government will just effectively nationalise. They won't do it, it'll be economic suicide on the back of Brexit.
I think you could still argue this is AGAINST British interests and in that case, there is no limitation to what you can do.
And you can tell all the other investors that finance or whatever industry you invest in is not really against British interests so there's no worry for them.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Christ. Someone needs to link up the inevitable Twitter thread that explains where we are succinctly, step by step. Can’t be arsed to look through thirty pages to get the overall gist of this & if it is indeed going to happen.

Kounan

Good points. I am no Corbyn supporter but what you can do is mandate a sale of the percentage of the club (at least 51%) to the public over a period of time (could be 2-3 years) at the open market value. I am sure enough people will buy in. My main point is if there's a will, there's a way.

Also, people talk about investments. There are things that you just don't (or rather) sell like key infrastructure to outside parties. We've seen that with vaccine production.

The biggest 'capitalists', the US, are happy to flex their muscle and get better deals for their state by putting in really restrictive laws (again look at the pandemic, also their defence procurement laws).

And on the point of investments, these Americans have not invested in our (Arsenal/Man Utd/Liverpool) clubs, they have not added money, the Glazers being the most obvious case where they used us as an asset to get a mortgage and keep draining the club.
The one think I think they could do is making it different for new clubs (like Germany did, but they went the opposite way, allowing private ownership), but to force them to do something now, especially by dictating the price....I really don't think they could do it.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think we can all agree on this that we should end the season now and dock every team involved 100 points. Relegating Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
As far as I am aware it would be a breakaway league, so all teams involved would leave their current league and not participate anymore.
There would be 12 founding members who cannot be removed from the league in the form of relegation.
5 clubs would be invited each season to participate (the winners of the remaining teams in the top 5 leagues england, france, germany, spain, italy)
Surely not so united barca juve etc would leave they're respective leagues altogether?

predator

Youth NITK
I wonder what the players think?

The more I'm thinking about it the more I'm leaning towards it being a disaster. A few hours ago I was open to it.

Just imagine in 5 years time. Games played all over the world. The highest paying club gets the best players. No loyalty whatsoever. Players often move around between clubs (with so called rivalries) purely for money and no one can really call them out on it because everything is revolving around money.

However that is far fetched maybe.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
What is the general consensus of fans from countries outside of England? Similar outrage in Spain/Italy?
Discontent among fans of small teams. Among big teams I would say that support for the super league is rising

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I understand the logic. It's not a terrible idea.

The clubs mentioned built the competition into what it is and are the main draw of the competition. Teams like Arsenal and United probably rightly think, we helped establish the current iteration of the competition and aren't reaping the rewards.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Any comments from managers, players ?
Meh, don't expect anything controversial from them. At the end of the day, they'll go where the money and prestige is (rightly so by the way, I'd do the same for my wallet)..

The one think I think they could do is making it different for new clubs (like Germany did, but thy went the opposite way, allowing private ownership), but to force them to do something now, especially by dictating the price....I really don't think they could do it.
united decided themselves to sell and list on the stock exchange. Let’s not pretend this is all the Glazers fault. United have been looking at ways to maximise revenues and profits for 30 years.

Kounan

united decided themselves to sell and list on the stock exchange. Let’s not pretend this is all the Glazers fault. United have been looking at ways to maximise revenues and profits for 30 years.
Of course. At the end, all English clubs are privately owned (or most of them), and if the owners would be richer, they would be spending much more money.

Counterfactual

I understand the logic. It's not a terrible idea.

The clubs mentioned built the competition into what it is and are the main draw of the competition. Teams like Arsenal and United probably rightly think, we helped establish the current iteration of the competition and aren't reaping the rewards.
Yeah, all those memorable Arsenal 5-1 losses to Bayern. :lol:

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
I think you could still argue this is AGAINST British interests and in that case, there is no limitation to what you can do.
And you can tell all the other investors that finance or whatever industry you invest in is not really against British interests so there's no worry for them.
I think anyone thinking that government couldn't do something needs to remember they basically shut down entire sectors of the economy for months at a time and have made it technically illegal to do many things.

If there was a political will, anything is possible and people should not be under any illusion that it can't happen. Surely this last year has proved that the government has very far reaching power. Certainly far enough to impact on this type of thing if the uproar is strong enough.