European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FujiVice

Yeah, feck this and feck the Glazers. The club is dying as you see it. Next step will be naming rights of the stadium sold on.

crossy1686

career ending
Why would leaving a UEFA tournament mean docking of points by the FA ?
I know they are all together in opposing this.. but I dont see how the FA can dock premier league points because clubs dont want to play a mid week european tournament organized by UEFA..

UEFA can kick the clubs out of their competition.. so that would leave PSG as the CL winners.. Good for them.
You're a bit slow to this party.

This is a FIFA run comp, the Super League.
FIFA have wanted in on club football for ages but UEFA have monopoly, hence club world cup talks.
12 clubs have agreed to drop the CL and play in the SL from 2024 instead as midweek games.
The FA and Sky lost their shit because the PL is now second to a SL. Why? United play Burnley on Sunday but Madrid on Wednesday, where is the weaker team fielded?
Entry to the SL is rewarded with £350m, which is a lot more than clubs currently get, essentially creating a bunch of super clubs and potentially destroying league balance.
The FA are now threatening to kick all teams taking part in the SL out of all domestic competitions.

Rustyspider13

I can't believe this is actually happening. I think it'll all come down to which side the FAs fall to. If they impose bans from PL/La Liga/Serie A for participating in the ESL, I can't see the clubs going forward. This is a disgusting, concentrated effort to battle UEFA for more money. The like of Perez and Glazer being in charge tells you all that you need to know.

justsomebloke

So this might be the *real* topic. Those clubs want PSG and City to be held accountable to their numbers and their accounting to be much more closely watched. If they get it that way, I am all in. Chelsea is in, which suggest that Chelsea is already able to cope with such stringent financial requirements.
No, it just follows from moving from the law of the jungle to a closed shop. Right now, these clubs are tigers hunting individually in a world of foxes, gazelles and sheep. With the SL, it's all tigers. The whole point is to distribute the meat, and if you're co-habiting with other tigers, you won't want any of them to grow bigger fangs and longer talons than you.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Ffs. What a load of shit. Roman and the board what the feck are you playing at. All that goodwill we've had these past few weeks at this club down the fecking toilet.

TsuWave

The Champions League restructuring plans were absolutely naff and a death knell to a great competition but I’m still not onboard with this Super League stunt.

Greed. Greed. Greed.
what were the restructuring plans for CL?

0le

With no real relegation threat, the Glazers will never bother to invest in the club.

Juventus statemnt says founding clubs will continue to play in domestic competitions and want to implement it in agreement with FIFA and UEFA

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Juventus's statement seems to indicate that the clubs want FIFA, UEFA, and their member associations to accept the SL before actually trying to push this through and fully implement it.

Full statement:

Summary: there will be an independent company running the Super League that will be owned by all of the founding clubs (i.e. just like the NBA and MLS). They will each contribute 2 million Euros to seal their ownership and a further 8 million if required.

We should unironically be thrown out of the Premier League, along with the other 'founding fathers'.

Capitalism will mean this won't happen though - as much as the FA will bluster - as it would basically kill the PL.

Dinghy

"Florentino Pérez, President Real Madrid CF and the first Chairman of the Super League said:

“We will help football at every level and take it to its rightful place in the world. Football is the only global sport in the world with more than four billion fans and our responsibility as big clubs is to respond to their desires.”

Moiraine

Kinda reminds me of Kerry Packer in Cricket, opposed by everyone but ultimately changed cricket forever. I guess Change is inevitable, even in Football!

Last edited:

el3mel

I'm so disappointed I don't want to even talk about it. I was hoping with the delay in the announcement that it won't happen, but here we're. It's indeed real.

Awful day.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah this will utterly destroy the game as we know it.
100%. Its not so much that ESL as the knock on effect. Its 18 group games per season, followed by 5 knockout games minimum. Now I'm no rocket scientist but including knockouts thats 61 games not including the FA Cup or league Cup, Club World Cup etc... To say they aren't effecting domestic football is a disgrace.

Idxomer

This is why Pogba has been happy lately, he's definitely one of the people behind this.

AshRK

This could bring all the football fans together for a change. Who would have thought!

crossy1686

career ending
So if the FA actually go through with it, kick us all out, will you still be happy about this super league?
Yeah sure, if the FA want to cut their nose off to spite their face, that's on them. What's stopping the clubs who've been kicked out starting an actual breakaway league with all the best teams in the UK? Celtic, Rangers, Cork City, a few clubs from the Championship etc