European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I just don't understand how anyone can think this is a good thing. I feel sick at the thought of this.
As opposed to the Champions League? I don’t understand how we have reached a point where people cannot conceive of anything but a UEFA-led Champions League. Football existed before and will exist after.

Domestically, people seem to be lamenting the death of the top 4 race, which is a case of Stockholm Syndrome if I ever saw it.

RORY65

The CL hasn’t gone has it? These clubs just won’t be in it.
It's a pretty devalued competition if those clubs aren't in it, the race for the Europa League isn't a big deal now and this makes the CL very similar.

alsabi

So the five additional non-Founder clubs just get rotated out every season then? Based on achievements in other competitions? Who decides who gets in and how?

tomaldinho1

Jesus fecking christ.

I know there had been a lot of justified shit about the awful new CL format proposals, but the Super League (if they got the way and played it while also remaining in the Premier League) would be even worse.

18 matches followed by two-legged quarter finals, semi finals and final.... so a minimum of 18 matches rising to a possible 25 games throughout the season. So forget the Carabao and FA cups for starters, there wouldn't be room for league and super league fixtures.
If this is the price we pay to slay the Carabao, it’s worth it.

UEFA was planning to add more teams and games to the CL so it’s probably not that different.

DeGea

Reading that statement on the United website it sounds like the clubs feel UEFA are not giving them enough financial return from the current Champions League?

el3mel

The CL hasn’t gone has it? These clubs just won’t be in it.
I meant for the clubs in this competition obviously.

Why would us, United fans, give a shit where we're finishing when top 4 just doesn't matter any more? It makes following the league and being passionate about the results totally pointless.

Trequarista10

Interested about the 5 qualifiers for the Super League... Surely the plan is for the 4 CL semi finalists and the Europa League winner?

crossy1686

career ending
I just don't understand how anyone can think this is a good thing. I feel sick at the thought of this.
What are you sick about? Your team isn't going to qualify for CL football and you just got given a lifeline for a better competition that will secure the future of Tottenham. But yeah, game's gone or whatever

Foxbatt

No, because they're under contract. I doubt it says in their contract they must play in certain competitions etc..
I would think that they would have mitigating circumstances if they refuse. Because playing in a competition banned by UEFA and FIFA is huge.

hobbers

From United's statement:

The pandemic has shown that a strategic vision and a sustainable commercial approach are required to enhance value and support for the benefit of the entire European football pyramid. In recent months extensive dialogue has taken place with football stakeholders regarding the future format of European competitions. The Founding Clubs believe the solutions proposed following these talks do not solve fundamental issues, including the need to provide higher-quality matches and additional financial resources for the overall football pyramid.

“Our 12 Founder clubs represent billions of fans across the globe and 99 European trophies. We have come together at this critical moment, enabling European competition to be transformed, putting the game we love on a sustainable footing for the long-term future, substantially increasing solidarity, and giving fans and amateur players a regular flow of headline fixtures that will feed their passion for the game while providing them with engaging role models.”

Joel Glazer, Co-Chairman of Manchester United and Vice-Chairman of the Super League said:

“By bringing together the world’s greatest clubs and players to play each other throughout the season, the Super League will open a new chapter for European football, ensuring world-class competition and facilities, and increased financial support for the wider football pyramid.”

I puked at every bold. Vile money grabbing opportunist scum running the show.

:lol: :lol: No, I really do. People are terrified of change for some reason. The game has been crying out for a shakeup, this is going to be fantastic to watch
Bullshit it's going to be fantastic to watch...have you seen the planned format?

It's basically the NBA/MLB regular season which just about everyone involved gives no shits about - fans, players or teams.

There are 18 'group stage' games - and at the end of them all, half the league qualify for the knockout stages anyway. They're slightly more than glorified friendlies...just like the regular seasons of the NBA and MLB.

The NBA regular season ratings are dead for a reason.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
:lol: what a mess. The insane amount of money in football was always leading here.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Our players died to play in the European Cup and now we're going to abandon that to be part of an unimpeachable cabal of rich twats. It's a disgraceful insult to our history. The Glazers want to dismantle everything we've ever worked for.

TsuWave

Good thing I’m not into football as much I used to be. United being crap for so long has made it easier to miss the odd game, falling asleep on the couch whilst watching or just turning up to catch the last 15 minutes. Stuff that used to be sacrilegious.

should be easier to eventually let it go

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The lure is more money for the owners and a closed shop that allows clubs that fall apart like Milan, Arsenal etc.. to stay in the cash flow.
From a spectator stand point.

It's like a shit Champions League without the history/prestige.

TheGodsInRed

People saying to deduct 30 points for all these teams. Is that something they can actually do? i.e. in the rules. I doubt it. All they have done so far is announce a plan.

crossy1686

career ending
No, he's right. I'm deeply ashamed of United tonight. The club that took English football into European competition now walks out, in order to establish a new closed shop for the mega rich.

We lost our best ever team whilst trying to win the European Cup. Is nothing sacred? Those players and Sir Matt will be turning in their graves.
Well what better way to start a new era than winning the new incarnation of the European cup.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Reading that statement on the United website it sounds like the clubs feel UEFA are not giving them enough financial return from the current Champions League?
Yes, that's the reason. It's tiring to see people use made up reasons when these same clubs have said for years what the problem was, the big clubs want a larger share of the pie because they are the ones generating the money.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What are you sick about? Your team isn't going to qualify for CL football and you just got given a lifeline for a better competition that will secure the future of Tottenham. But yeah, game's gone or whatever
You failed to respond to my earlier post? You seem to be awfully in favour of this. Explain why you think this is good for fans?

Are you getting paid for this propaganda?

PSV

If true, this will make some think twice. Would be some reaction.
It's a gift to the players involved. Imagine not having to deal with Qatar because you're banned. That's a win-win if I ever saw one.

littlepeasoup

So the five additional non-Founder clubs just get rotated out every season then? Based on achievements in other competitions? Who decides who gets in and how?
Best Hipster club. Club with the best kit. Best club you can just about pronounce the name of. Club with the highest percentage of hotties (you know... for the ladies).

And PSG.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They will decide on random shit like Snakes and Ladders feck knows but I'm probably not far off.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
They are ready to go forward, I don't think that will matter.
I am more interested by the Spanish clubs like Real or Barcelona, can they really do that without the approval of their socios? I hope not.
For the UK, my hope is that the government changes the legislation for good and decides that this is an attempt to hurt national interests and therefore, a change in ownership is being forced through a forced sale for that reason.

But none of the PL kicking them out will really matter to those clubs if they decided to join that SL.
Yes - please - fans get on to politicians

Springfield WildCats

I’ve been hundreds of games, loved the good times, the current shit times have me made me
Love united more, never thought I’d walk away from United, time to go follow Oldham or bury

FIFA statement: "FIFA can only express its disapproval to a closed European breakaway league outside of the international football structures and not respecting the aforementioned principles"

Tom Van Persie

No relation

padr81

Supports
Man City
Nope there will be these 12 and 3 more founders (apparently Bayern, Leipzig and Porto) that can't be relegated for 20 years. The other 5 clubs will be invited and are replacable.

pacifictheme

Our players died to play in the European Cup and now we're going to abandon that to be part of an unimpeachable cabal of rich twats. It's a disgraceful insult to our history. The Glazers want to dismantle everything we've ever worked for.
Nah they died because the fa were a bunch of cnuts.