European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Our players died to play in the European Cup and now we're going to abandon that to be part of an unimpeachable cabal of rich twats. It's a disgraceful insult to our history. The Glazers want to dismantle everything we've ever worked for.
Well said. It's a fecking joke.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Our players died to play in the European Cup and now we're going to abandon that to be part of an unimpeachable cabal of rich twats. It's a disgraceful insult to our history. The Glazers want to dismantle everything we've ever worked for.
They didn't die to play in Europe, they died because the football league wouldn't postpone their game and threatened to dock points if United weren't in the UK by a certain time before kick off.

diarm

not for each club! Will clearly be shared amongst the founding members. Still in the region of 300m, but not 3.5bn each club!!
Ah ok. The way that was worded made me think they were getting that amount each. Makes no odds to us either way as 95% of it will be going in the Glazers pockets.

Rustyspider13

They are ready to go forward, I don't think that will matter.
I am more interested by the Spanish clubs like Real or Madrid, can they really do that without the approval of their socios? I hope not.
For the UK, my hope is that the government changes the legislation for good and decides that this is an attempt to hurt national interests and therefore, a change in ownership is being forced through a forced sale for that reason.

But none of the PL kicking them out will really matter to those clubs if they decided to join that SL.
I just can't see all those clubs collectively telling the fans of Europe's biggest countries to feck off like this, so many local derbies will just vanish. But then again greed has led to actual wars so football can't compare.

I hope you're right about government legislation. If this disastrous proposal leads to those leeches getting out of United it'll be the biggest blessing in disguise ever.

always_hoping

All club statements out now. Things have escalated quickly. In truth this European league was signed and sealed ages ago by the money men and only now its made public.

crossy1686

career ending
It means the end of the FA Cup, the CL and will be governed by the teams that actually play in it. How can you possibly think that is all a good idea?
It doesn't mean the end of the FA cup. The FA are trying to gain control of the situation and are making threats that would destroy their own league. The CL will involve teams that no one cares about watching other than their own fans. When Fenerbache win it I'm sure it will be a big deal for them but we'll be playing Madrid for the SL

Get In Scholesy

It seems as if this is another midweek competition, they aren’t leaving the Premier League, this new competition is just a way for these clubs to make more money (more exposure, sponsorships etc)

I don’t quite understand the uproar on a domestic level. I seriously doubt this will make these clubs less focused on their domestic league. The better they do in each competition, the more money they make (which is the point of the game these days)

I think Sky (as an example) and other media outlets are up in arms because it damages them financially, not so much the game itself.

Crashoutcassius

We’re in it to win it. The idea of celebrating 4th was bollocks too.
It is the idea that to get the reward of cl football you had to compete. Now there is no requirement for a club to invest to try to compete, just get as many games in as possible in the year and count the money

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yes, that's the reason. It's tiring to see people use made up reasons when these same clubs have said for years what the problem was, the big clubs want a larger share of the pie because they are the ones generating the money.
Basically their owners want more money and want to stop smaller clubs from having a fair chance to compete.

Football is not about 'generating' revenue. It's a sport where excellence should be promoted and everyone given as fair as possible crack of the whip.

I am honestly sick some of you guys are supporting this degeneracy.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
People do understand that this means the Premier League as the primary contest of the season becomes extinct?

Cast5

If it happens these midweek super league games need to be protested, anyone trying to enter the ground should be egged.

Francesco Porzio: All clubs involved in The Super League creation have left the ECA

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Manchester United have also left the ECA, which would screw up their relations with the non-SL clubs, for sure.

EDIT: originally deleted but now reinstated

Last edited:

Idxomer

6 English teams have been playing in the CL for the last 20 years, 4 of them were always guaranteed a place there.

Now, they're all guaranteed a place in the Super League. The PL clubs are probably the least affected among top leagues.

Okey

I can't believe this is is starting to look real. Isn't it obvious that it's a cash grab by greedy club owners? Club owners and fans have never really had the same ideals about the game. Will the moneybags be allowed to win here? And become the main drivers of the future of the game (at least in Europe)? Unless I'm completely missing the plot, this can't possibly be good for the game going forward.

RORY65

It doesn't mean the end of the FA cup. The FA are trying to gain control of the situation and are making threats that would destroy their own league. The CL will involve teams that no one cares about watching other than their own fans. When Fenerbache win it I'm sure it will be a big deal for them but we'll be playing Madrid for the SL
:lol: We'll be near the bottom of this thing playing a load of dead rubbers as will numerous other sides.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Next will be the two conferences. Will they be called the Eastern and Western conferences or something shitty like that.

Djemba-Djemba

I always knew the Glazers would eventually kill the club.

We're going to end up kicked out the Premier League and banned from the Champions League.

All because they wanted more fecking money, they're going to ruin football.

crossy1686

career ending
Bullshit it's going to be fantastic to watch...have you seen the planned format?

It's basically the NBA/MLB regular season which just about everyone involved gives no shits about - fans, players or teams.

There are 18 'group stage' games - and at the end of them all, half the league qualify for the knockout stages anyway. They're slightly more than glorified friendlies...just like the regular seasons of the NBA and MLB.

The NBA regular season ratings are dead for a reason.
Forget all the NBA format nonsense for a second. Do you not want to watch the best teams in the world play each other? Regardless of how the format is?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I meant for the clubs in this competition obviously.

Why would us, United fans, give a shit where we're finishing when top 4 just doesn't matter any more? It makes following the league and being passionate about the results totally pointless.
Before Ferguson retired, when did you ever care about finishing anywhere other than first? It’s so weird to see people lamenting the death of the top 4 race.