European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

padr81

Supports
Man City
From a spectator stand point.

It's like a shit Champions League without the history/prestige.
On the pitch yes, its champions league without the fodder (and apparently PSG) for the most part. Giant Killings will be no more (unless Arsenal get a point)

dinostar77

The only things fans can do is to not pay the broadcasters whatever horrendous subscription fee they are intending to charge to watch it.

Spineless b*stards to do this when fans cant go to the stadiums.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
So it'll end with a damp squib at the Invasion PPV tournament?
I actually just reminded myself Stone Cold defected to the 'evil' side at that PPV, which makes United the Stone Cold of football in my book. Spurs are Shawn Stasiak, Arsenal are Stacy Keibler's pants.

kirk buttercup

This is a sad day for football as we know it and have loved it . Money is sadly all Football is about nowadays . The landscape of Sport has been changing for quite some time But we are now seeing Monumental shifts where the magic , Tradition and Passion are being replaced By Greed.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
You know what this feels like? Like how Game of Thrones is unwatchable now because the last season is so shit.

I won't be able to watch any of our old great wins because we've ruined football.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm cancelling my season ticket tomorrow. I only told them last week that I'd renew, but this is me done. I have no interest in this. And, for what it's worth, United will treat this as a huge cash grab and continue accepting mediocrity whilst pocketing even more money.

The Ole in lot will be pleased though, job for life as he no longer has a target to hit :lol:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I hate the idea but realistically this was always going to happen after UEFA started shifting all the power to big clubs at the turn of century. First by ensuring not only champions will compete in CL, then expanding this further and then scrapping qualification for big league teams to be 100% sure they won’t miss out. We are now left in a world where the handful of clubs that were lucky enough to be up there in the 90s when football exploded as a global game, and a few newcomers with rich sponsors, rule the competition and have no interest in keeping status quo as there’s a lot more money to be made.

You can bet those games won’t even be played at home stadium for the large part as they will bring spectacle to China, US or Japan to exploit vast marketing potential there. We will complain about it but it won’t matter as most football fans are still going to watch it, and a huge group of new fans will join.

All UEFA competitions will become distant priority now. Domestic competitions will become secondary and eventually Super League teams will probably just cease to compete in them or field their B teams.

Maybe I’m being pessimistic but it really feels like it was a matter of time before it happened.

jasT1981

Next will be the two conferences. Will they be called the Eastern and Western conferences or something shitty like that.
Already happening.

2 groups of 10. Top 3 of each qualify for QFs. 4th & 5th in each division in playoffs, winners make up the final 2 QF teams.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Do we scrap the European competitions this season? Because what’s the point

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
In fairness, the Champions League itself became a rich clubs' closed circuit in recent decades.

Judas

Open to offers
:lol: We'll be near the bottom of this thing playing a load of dead rubbers as will numerous other sides.
This is another depressing factor. It'll result in meaningless games against big sides. So instead of facing these big teams in matches that meant something, we'll be playing games that are basically friendlies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Apparently it will be on Amazon as well. Enjoy your American soccer, guys.

padr81

Supports
Man City
It doesn't mean the end of the FA cup. The FA are trying to gain control of the situation and are making threats that would destroy their own league. The CL will involve teams that no one cares about watching other than their own fans. When Fenerbache win it I'm sure it will be a big deal for them but we'll be playing Madrid for the SL
Of course it is. PL 38 games, new CL potential 25 games (if 2 groups of 10 is true + qf, sf and single final).. where are they gonna fit the FA Cup in

hobbers

All fans can do is not pay for season tickets and not pay subs to any broadcaster that shows super league matches.

But that wouldn't even matter because the money from China (and international broadcasters/streaming platforms) and JP Morgan will more than cover the losses at least for the first season or two.

Trequarista10

I've just realised what really pisses me off. If it started next season Liverpool will have dodged having to play in Europa, the jammy bastards.

We will end up with two different codes in football, like rugby. The European Super league will be much more Americanised: quarters, time outs, no offside etc.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This is the first step out of the Premier League.

It's not just a new competition let's be realistic

Jamie Carragher replies to Liverpool tweet: "What an embarrassment we've become. Think of all the people who have come before us at this club who would be equally embarrassed as well"

Tom Van Persie

No relation

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I always knew the Glazers would eventually kill the club.

We're going to end up kicked out the Premier League and banned from the Champions League.

All because they wanted more fecking money, they're going to ruin football.
It was inevitable with the three biggest English clubs being owned by Yanks. All they know are playoffs, adverts, conferences and no relegations etc.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
All fans can do is not pay for season tickets and not pay subs to any broadcaster that shows super league matches.

But that wouldn't even matter because the money from China (and international broadcasters/streaming platforms) and JP Morgan will more than cover the losses at least for the first season or two.
They won't make a dent because not enough people care that much.