European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
People do understand that this means the Premier League as the primary contest of the season becomes extinct?
I think everyone gets that. That's what people are, partly, so annoyed about. We'll be paying big money for tickets to a meaningless competition. I bet our season tickets will skyrocket when this ESL starts too. I'll no longer be there anyway. I was undecided as it is in whether to take the year long postponement option this season.

Tiber

I hope Pep, Klopp, Ole and co. all hand in their resignations in the morning and every player at every club hands in a transfer request.
Why would any player who isn't a hardcore fan of the team they play for give a toss? Most already just play for the highest bidder, and that will probably always be a super League club now

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I hope Pep, Klopp, Ole and co. all hand in their resignations in the morning and every player at every club hands in a transfer request.
I know managers come and go and the days of Fergie are long gone but for these clubs to make this decision without (presumably) involving arguably the most important men at the clubs.... disgusting

The fallout from managers and players is going to be interesting, do they keep their mouths shut as employees and do what they're told or do they challenge it... let's be real it's going to be the former isn't it

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Come on...... not gonna happen

littlepeasoup

Sorry, must have missed it.

As United fan's we want to see our team compete against the best of the best and win, yeah beating Burnley is great but what about that Paul Scholes goal against Barcelona? For the random fan, is Tottenham vs Juventus not a better game than Leipzig vs some random Turkish side? We're talking elite football here, nothing else like this on the planet in terms of ability and prestige and we're part of it.

The money will be reinvested into the club and spent on players/stadium/coaching staff, whatever. Most of it will probably go on transfers as we'll have to pay a SL tax on top of a United tax when we sign a player so most of that money will filter into the leagues anyway.

This is a win for everyone.
Trickle down economics doesn't work.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Gonna be interesting to see the reaction of the players of various teams and whether the wheels come off for a few sides. Imagine being one of the players and this landing on you?

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I was against it but actually, what should I care about as a consumer? Some random club like Burnley who might struggle or my own pocket?

Im torn the more I think of it, for the sake of argument, imagine Amazon get exclusive rights and all games are shown on prime. I’m immediately saving a shed load of money and so I’d say, as selfish as it is, I don’t care about Burnley I care about me not being fleeced by BT and Sky.
Ya reckon your Amazon subscription will stay the same yeah?

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
As United fan's we want to see our team compete against the best of the best and win, yeah beating Burnley is great but what about that Paul Scholes goal against Barcelona?
And do you think moments like that will be as special when you play them at least twice a season? :lol:

Personally, as a Leicester fan I'm looking forward to the Super League. Hope the Premier League kick you out, and the rest of us can enjoy proper football :)

I do genuinely feel sorry for most fans of these clubs though. It seems like most fans are against it, and out of touch owners have just completely disregarded what the fans want.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Why would any player who isn't a hardcore fan of the team they play for give a toss? Most already just play for the highest bidder, and that will probably always be a super League club now
The likely won't give a toss but it'd be nice for them to practice what they preach. Bielsa woudn't stand for this nonsense. He'd already have strangled half the Leeds hierarchy

surf

It's surreal but let's wait and see if, when, and how it is implemented, and what the repercussions are. It may be yet another power play to get more influence over UEFA and the Champions' League and the domestic leagues. As someone once said, everything is always about money, and this is no exception.

passing-wind

UEFA / FIFA appearing to be the hero when they have been absolutely inept concerning the need for centralisation over football is a running joke. I don't think this is a good competition given the lack of competitiveness but football has been a downward trend for the last few years.

It needs a shakeup, a European league isn't the worst idea if it can coincide with domestic football / cups, have a relevant reward / risk system and all the while booting UEFA out as a trademark.

el3mel

That’s the same for most of the fecking league. And what football used to be like before 4th were allowed into the CL so UEFA could earn shit tons of money.
No it's just for the 6 clubs who will play for this competition. The league will simply be for them like glorified friendlies to prepare for this competition. The other clubs outside the 6 will care more about the top 4 to play in CL, the big clubs won't bother that much anymore.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I know managers come and go and the days of Fergie are long gone but for these clubs to make this decision without (presumably) involving arguably the most important men at the clubs.... disgusting

The fallout from managers and players is going to be interesting, do they keep their mouths shut as employees and do what their told or do they challenge it... let's be real it's going to be the former isn't it
They will get a massive bonus on their contact I doubt they care

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Makes the league fairly pointless now. Why aim for top 4 when you could finish 15th and still be in super League every season? What's the fecking point? The fight for European places will no longer exist for clubs in the SL.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Assuming the threat of not playing for your country stands...

I don't know them obviously but I look at our English players like Rashford, Maguire (maybe the others) and they don't strike me as the types to walk away from playing for their country?

Same Bruno, passionate about Portugal.

Pogba, Salah, Kane?!

No idea where he'll be next season but no way Bale would walk away from Wales

Surely the Italians, etc would be the same? Imagine the abuse you'll get by saying "I'll have another €100k per week and my international team can feck off"?

"Help me players.. you're my only hope"

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Look, football has been corrupt for ages. Let's not act brand new now.

From what I can understand here, this looks an alternative European competition. UEFA clearly pissed off cause they can see their profits disappearing etc etc. All the organisations are as bad as the clubs owners.

They will sort it out between themselves as there is too much to ££££ to lose.

crossy1686

career ending
That was special because it was the semi final of the CL. Think of the effort it took to win the title the seaosn before to qualify for the CL then the struggle to get to the final.

It's special when we play one of these super clubs because it's rare.

Playing barcelona and Juventus every fecking season immediately takes away any feelings of it being special. How do you not see this?
Honestly, if anyone gets the slightest bit excited about playing Madrid or Juventus by the second occasion I'm going to remind everyone that they promised this would get boring.