European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rojofiam

What about the Hungarian Clubs that basically bought their way to CL using funds handed down by the government? Are they much better?

This whole holier than thou stance is frankly ridiculous. There are so many crooks in football these days. Just look at teams like Istanbul Basaksehir etc.
Never followed Hungarian football and by the time I was born (1999) it was already way past its prime. If you take a look at the political situation in my country right now you won't be surprised about those things you mentioned. I don't give a feck about Erdogan's team either, nor the other 11 teams involved in this bullshit. I just thought United were always different. Our history, Munich, Class of 92, SAF, knocking Pool off their perch, our traditions, etc. I could go on. I even thought the Glazers and Woodward weren't as bad as they were made out to be because we were spendings shitloads of money post-SAF. But everything Man. United supposedly is all about is just gonna fade into irrelevance now because we're just gonna be a brand, and not a football club. We're potentially one of the biggest accomplices to the downfall of football.

Reactions: Penna

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Nobody's asked the important question

Will United be banned from FIFA 22?
Also spare a thought for all the future fans who get tattoos of ESL wins but get EDL tattooed by mistake and are now racists.

el3mel

Don’t worry they’ll be franchising and moving around when some rich dickheads wants to have them play in the arse end of China no doubt.
Time for some American names ! The state + some nickname, like Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers, the English clubs will be named Manchester Devils and London lions or whatever !!

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Wonder how much of the 3.5 Billion Euro will go into the club and how much will go to the Glazers. What a great time to support this club feckin hell

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I think the next 3 clubs will end up being PSG, Napoli and Sevilla. Outside shot it'll be Porto.

Obviously the SL would want PSG, Bayern and Dortmund to round out the 15.
Ajax and Bayern out seems so wrong to me.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I have no idea when you've had a little rant about what I might think, just having a discussion here and I've said nothing about what I think.

I've tried to think about this from both perspectives and form as rational an opinion as I can. I've considered my own reasons for this not being a good thing and they don't include a complete lack of investment. I expect we would be able to invest more than we end up doing, but going far and competing in this competition, as well as the continued domestic competition (bans etc would change the dynamic of this completely though) will still be a thing. We have spent money and a good amount at that, even if it isn't as much as it could have been and even if it has been spent poorly.

Please leave the straw mans and assumptions though, there is no reason we can't play devil's advocate, discuss, debate without being dramatic and bringing up digs about our principles for watching the sport. So dramatic.
Eh?!?! The only positive for us as a club from your post was that we'll invest more. I basically explained why I thought that was a moot point.

Playing devil's advocate requires some actual realistic arguments. You saying we'll invest more when this club has been going down the proverbial capitalism drain for 15 years under these leeches makes me question whether you are just saying things to look unbiased.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Wonder how much of the 3.5 Billion Euro will go into the club and how much will go to the Glazers. What a great time to support this club feckin hell
Isnt the money ear marked for things like Stadiums and training facilities etc?

predator

Youth NITK
The legal ramifications of this will be too great to fathom. Sponsorship deals will be fine combed from every single angle. I wouldn't be surprised to see a complete hiatus of European football for a few months.

It would be a real shame to never hear that champions league anthem again and see those iconic starred balls.

I started off this afternoon not opposing this super league but as more details emerge and the more it's sinking in, I am changing my views.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Says who? Why can't the format change in a season or so once it's established? We should just worry about winning it instead of worrying about being bored of playing world class teams to be honest, strange and silly argument.
What don’t you get about this?

It’s protectionism of the biggest clubs so that they’re guaranteed revenue every year. No surprise AC Milan are there for instance having been fecking awful on merit for a decade, their owners can capitalise on their past to make a quick buck. It’s no longer about football, just money.

We’re guaranteed to stay in as a founding member, at least until the snakes show their colours and boot us out if we’re not valuable to their little money making operation any longer.

We don’t get relegated so we play them every season until nobody can be arsed anymore.

It’s the elites saying we want it all and leaving nothing for anyone else.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
One of worse thing about this is that apart from 1st position, no other position will mean anything for the domestic league. That will make 38 games league a monotonous affair for almost all the teams.

Schneiderman

I haven't had chance! I'm getting about 15 replies a second at the moment. I'll read up on everything tomorrow when the dust settled. Don't really care right now as the sentiment around it is 95% negative so there's a total imbalance of rational thinking
Or you know, the 95% have a point and you're talking utter bollocks.

Judas

Open to offers
Glazers invest most when we miss out on the CL, without that issue, why do some think they'll be investing into the team more now? It goes against the pattern of behaviour they've shown in recent times.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
One of worst thing about this is that apart from 1st position, no other position will mean anything for the domestic league. That will make 38 games league a monotonous affair for almost all the teams.
Its not a league like that. Read the competition layout

OleGunnar20

As opposed to the Champions League? I don’t understand how we have reached a point where people cannot conceive of anything but a UEFA-led Champions League. Football existed before and will exist after.

Domestically, people seem to be lamenting the death of the top 4 race, which is a case of Stockholm Syndrome if I ever saw it.
Look into the details of the comp and think through the impact this will have on all other competitions as we know them.

Whats the difference between finishing 2nd and 17th from now on in the PL? Assuming we're not thrown out, we've nothing to gain from continuing to genuinely compete once out of the title race. Cue league Cup quality teams for the Manchester Derby - wouldn't want to tire the boys out ahead of the fourth fecking game against Madrid this Wednesday.

FA/League cups? Forget about it. 60+ games across two competitions i imagine leaves us either dropping those or fielding the kids. A sorry way to treat a trophy as precious as the FA Cup.

Skip ahead to travelling tours of the ESL. Less and less home games, with the nightmare scenario being a complete swing towards a franchise model, with teams moved about from city to city as their owners see fit. Worst case scenario I know, but nobody can convince me this isn't the direction these cnuts are pushing towards.

This is an insidious money grab by the mega wealthy scumbags who've found themselves with power over our beautiful game. That's all it is.

They don't give a shite about us fans, about our club, its history and roots in the local community. The value of local rivalries built up over decades upon decades.

Feck them and their greed. I hope to god this doesn't go through, and we as fans wake up and start pushing back against this creep of money above all else.

markhughes

Well to be honest I am thinking of calling it a day with Utd, after 35 years of support I can’t actually believe I’m contemplating that. Even if the Superleague doesn’t go ahead I think the intent is enough, along with the arrogance. Glazer is Vice Chairman of the SL, makes me sick.

I think it’s time for Green and Gold to make an appearance, can we change the forum colours ASAP? It would be a start!

el3mel

Glazers invest most when we miss out on the CL, without that issue, why do some think they'll be investing into the team more now? It goes against the pattern of behaviour they've shown in recent times.
Why would they invest at all ? This super league will bring them ton of money regardless.

Denis79

Honestly if we join some shit plastic league I won't care for Manchester United anymore. The club I love will be dead.
I'll most likely lose interest as well. Atleast I'll have time to do better things on the weekends.

SwedishFish

Never followed Hungarian football and by the time I was born (1999) it was already way past its prime. If you take a look at the political situation in my country right now you won't be surprised about those things you mentioned. I don't give a feck about Erdogan's team either, nor the other 11 teams involved in this bullshit. I just thought United were always different. Our history, Munich, Class of 92, SAF, knocking Pool off their perch, our traditions, etc. I could go on. I even thought the Glazers and Woodward weren't as bad as they were made out to be because we were spendings shitloads of money post-SAF. But everything Man. United supposedly is all about is just gonna fade into irrelevance now because we're just gonna be a brand, and not a football club. We're potentially one of the biggest accomplices to the downfall of football.
Well, it's rather soulless all in all the game these days. It's driven by money and exposure on every level. Hurts to say but I'm not even surprised by all this.

HackeyC

I really hope our stars put in transfer requests. Lets see how well we do when bruno decides he wants to play in the euros for portugal and will leave utd.
Transfer to where? Newcastle, Villarreal? The teams they'd want to join are nearly all in this thing, and I would not rule out Bayern and PSG jumping onboard.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Time for some American names ! The state + some nickname, like Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers, the English clubs will be named Manchester Devils and London lions or whatever !!
Basically just whatever we’re named in Pro Evo when we’re not licensed. I wonder if Konami are in on this because they’re notorious money grabbing bastards.

0le

"BuT wE DuH pLaY bArCeLoNa TwIcE a YeAr!"

Acquire Me

This event is not some small time operation. The founders have done thei homework and will have a move for everything coming their way.

It’s business and I think UEFA and FIFA will play along in the end.

Will the CL be replaced in the end?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Its not a league like that. Read the competition layout
I mean if we don't have to qualify for Super league and don't play in Champions league then will it matter if we finish 3 or 7 in domestic league?

Skills

Snitch
One of worse thing about this is that apart from 1st position, no other position will mean anything for the domestic league. That will make 38 games league a monotonous affair for almost all the teams.
So exactly how it was prior to the inception of the Premier League? Aren't half of the weirdos on here pining for the good old days when only the Champions made it in?

MF1138

The hypocrisy of sky and their employees crying about the treatment of the everyday fan is laughable at best. "It's all about greed"... Sure... We believe you, you're all about the love of the game:lol:.

The whole idea sounds like a European version of the premier league foundation, so I'm not entirely sure what the need for the hysterical reaction is. The no relegation thing, if that's the case, is shitty. Effort should be put into trying to force that not to be the case... The rest (from either side) is just a bunch of people trying to look out for their slice of the pie, there is no altruism here.

RORY65

Because apparently winning this really prestigious competition with no history, tradition or context that we are in regardless of how good we are would make them even more money in sponsorship so they will definitely chase that.