European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Castia

How large an impediment would the 55% cap be for the oil clubs? Something that would seriously curtail their spending or something that could be easily circumvented with some accounting chicanery?

I think the basis of this league is to stop them spending what they want, the old guard don't want their top spots taken by the oil clubs.

They'll go hard on the cap, i think it will be expulsion from the league if it gets exploited

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
No way Bayern/Dortmund don’t join - assuming this is just the initial clubs putting their head over the parapet. This was inevitable unfortunately - the money to be made from a league with regular Barca/United/Madrid games is huge.

Jev

That's the end of football for me if this happens. Very disappointed to see us supporting this. It's disgusting.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think the basis of this league is to stop them spending what they want, the old guard don't want their top spots taken by the oil clubs.

They'll go hard on the cap, i think it will be expulsion from the league if it gets exploited
Hmmm. If it's just replacing the CL and actually has the effect of neutering the oil clubs to reasonable levels then there's definitely an upside.

Domestic leagues would be my major concern. Firstly in terms of whether the long term plan would be to replace those leagues but also the impact not having CL places providing incentive would have.

Given the timing in regards to CL plans though, you'd have to wonder how much of this is to do with pressure for reforms.

diarm

Aside from the idea of ringfencing owner clubs which I don't only hate on principle, but also fear that while oil and fan owned clubs will always want success, American owners won't give 2 shits about winning so long as their paycheck is guaranteed every year.

None of these measures stop the oil clubs from circumventing any rules and caps by paying people off books. The accounts of state owned clubs cannot be realistically scrutinised so salary caps and similar are just an exercise in futility.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
European Super league...

Sadly I think the kids will go for it. They already do the whole X player name FC thing. Why care about football involving risk? Make it a closed shop, get to see your favourite players go at your favourite players every week.

Finish 15th. Nevermind still in the European super league. Forget the prestige and motivation of actually having to qualify to be at Europe's top table.

I'm just surprised at the likes of Real Madrid going for this. The European Cup is such a big part of Madrid fan culture. Will they never compete for it again? Can't see how they'd find time to play La Liga, Champions League and European Super League.

For me, as a United fan, the European Cup is so much part of our story. 1958 and the tragedy. 1968 and rising from the ashes. The Treble, which yesterday let us dine out on again. Are we really going to turn our backs on that?

Jev

Come on now, we both know that’s simply not true.
Why wouldn't it be? For many people disillusioned with modern football this could absolutely be the last straw. Personally I think I'd just lose interest and stop watching if this happened but I could easily see why fans would turn on United, or any of the other involved clubs, if this happened. It's disgusting.

Bjerring

Cannot imagine not watching United, but this might do it.

Surely the national football associations will have to do something i cooperation with UEFA, right?

This will have huge consequences for the PL, because in time, if the "ESL" thrives, then I imagine it will become a traditional league system and the clubs involved will abandon their national leagues.

RedDevilRoshi

This is just completely absurd.

Shows you how corrupt this sport has become. Sickening.

Cloud7

Disgusting.

Whats the point of a competition where no one else is allowed into it? Remember when Spurs qualified for the CL for the first time in however long back in 2011 I think it was, and they went on a great run in the tournament. No chance of something like that happening again then?

This is exactly why I’ve always been averse to this mentality United fans have of “We earned our place here. Chelsea and City lucked out don’t deserve to be here. Only us deserve to be here” because it inevitably leads to this sort of thing, where their solution is to take their ball and go home, in this case that expression meaning form their own competition that they can never be excluded from.

Spoony

The People's President
Why wouldn't it be? For many people disillusioned with modern football this could absolutely be the last straw. Personally I think I'd just lose interest and stop watching if this happened but I could easily see why fans would turn on United, or any of the other involved clubs, if this happened. It's disgusting.

Won't be much of an issue unless it affects domestic competition.

RedStarUnited

European Super league...

Sadly I think the kids will go for it. They already do the whole X player name FC thing. Why care about football involving risk? Make it a closed shop, get to see your favourite players go at your favourite players every week.

Finish 15th. Nevermind still in the European super league. Forget the prestige and motivation of actually having to qualify to be at Europe's top table.

I'm just surprised at the likes of Real Madrid going for this. The European Cup is such a big part of Madrid fan culture. Will they never compete for it again? Can't see how they'd find time to play La Liga, Champions League and European Super League.

For me, as a United fan, the European Cup is so much part of our story. 1958 and the tragedy. 1968 and rising from the ashes. The Treble, which yesterday let us dine out on again. Are we really going to turn our backs on that?
No one is catching up to Madrids CL title number any time soon. They can try this new thing for a few years and if doesnt work out, go back to the CL.

Castia

Why wouldn't it? For many people disillusioned with modern football this could easily be the last straw. Personally I think I'd just lose interest and stop watching if this happened but I could easily see why fans would turn on United, or any of the other involved clubs, if this happened. It's absolutely disgusting.

It's gonna be the same clubs playing in a European competition with a better format, more money and finally a way to cap the Oil clubs, it will basically be the champions league in everything but name

We'll lose the legacy of the CL and that is a shame but if this is how football evolves then we either go with it or get left behind

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Disgusting.

Whats the point of a competition where no one else is allowed into it? Remember when Spurs qualified for the CL for the first time in however long back in 2011 I think it was, and they went on a great run in the tournament. No chance of something like that happening again then?

This is exactly why I’ve always been averse to this mentality United fans have of “We earned our place here. Chelsea and City lucked out don’t deserve to be here. Only us deserve to be here” because it inevitably leads to this sort of thing, where their solution is to take their ball and go home, in this case that expression meaning form their own competition that they can never be excluded from.
Isn't the idea that there would be X amount of permanent members with X amount earning their spot?

Cloud7

Isn't the idea that there would be X amount of permanent members with X amount earning their spot?
There are 15 founder clubs and based on the plan before the plan is for 20 clubs, and there still haven’t been any German or French clubs included in this. There won’t be space for teams to earn a place in it by the time they’re done.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Seems like a silly idea given that its basically what the CL already does.
Which is why I probably won't stop being an United fan and I don't think many others proclaiming that they will, will either.

Castia

And any SL won't be complete without Porto, Benfica, Ajax and Bayern.

They'll be in it when there's no money (compared to this new league) left in the Champions League...the CL will be seen as the B competition and nobody wants to be associated with that.