European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

keithsingleton

Obviously this will have a devastating effect on the Premier league if/when it happens. Killing the game we love domestically. Super league or Premier league, it's not even close for me as it's just a glorified CL whereas I'd take winning the domestic league every time.

As usual money fcuking talks. :mad:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
When I say wage cap, I mean a maximum budget like in the NBA. Lebron James doesn't feel undervalued at all I reckon. Bring in a maximum wage spend for clubs and a transfer cap for each season and that's that for fairness. However lets not kid ourselves that this is anything to do with fairness and instead realise it is a corrupt organisation afraid of losing their cash cows, who themselves are afraid of losing their place at the top of the game to nation funded regimes.

I absolutely agree with everything you've said otherwise. I just disagree that you can't bring in a universal cap on spending. If any of this was about fairness to the PL or UEFA or otherwise then this is exactly what would have been enacted. Everyone and their Granny knows that PSG and City are paying their staff off the book wages and I guess other clubs are getting sick of it. That's in no way to say that these clubs are innocent themselves. The fact that none of these parties involved on either side care about a fair playing field.
He absolutely does.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It has been demonstrated that it only costs money, in reality from the public standpoint the gain is that people are happy to have a team to support. It would be comparable to having a very expensive park.
But since it involves tax money, can city residents vote against it?

Mindhunter

I understand the appeal of it as well but surely you can see where this is leading..?

Like how many games do you think would even be played at OT in a given season if this league goes ahead?

I bet the super league also ends up whoring the games out to stadiums all over the world. Be lucky if there's a handful of games even played at Old Trafford.
I know what you are saying. That future doesn’t look promising but it does look more promising then the alternative of languishing in the domestic league because oil clubs have a hegemony on the top 4 positions.

This was inevitable. The oil clubs are spending money and the only way to keep up is to earn more and that involves commercial whoring. What choice do we have in a world without FFP and clubs bankrolled by sovereign funds?

To buy a striker like Haaland today is around 150m. How can you even attract top talent without more money?

This change is happening whether you like it or not. The only question is on which side of the equation MUFC land on.

If this European Super League comes to fruition, I'm done with football. It would be heartbreaking to walk away from United, but I couldn't be involved in such a circus. The participating clubs will be out of UEFA, when it was our club that took English football into Europe. The new league would be a billionaire's cartel; a closed shop of a dozen mega clubs, and just think how many domestic titles and European trophies they would be throwing in the bin combined!

Away games means travelling to Madrid, Munich, Turin etc. No access to UEFA competitions, pariahs but with even bigger wallets. A dozen teams of the Harlem Globetrotters, only playing each other, with the rest of football excluded. Greed would finally win out completely. It would be an unforgivable betrayal of the game, the club and the United fans.

It had better not happen.

passing-wind

It will be very interesting to see who folds first now that the PL has come out and said teams may be expelled. I would imagine the PL will as it would lose all interest from audiences abroad without the top 6 clubs.
It's a threat to the premier league more so than the domestic top six. Shooting themselves in the foot financially. The money in football has become ridiculous however. It's no surprise these types of alternatives are being offered up. UEFA have botched any attempt to derail club's exploiting loopholes for financial gain.

The whole centralisation / decentralisation is a funny topic because it's always those at the top who benefit most from the infrastructure. Ridiculous for consumers with sky / bt charging fee's annually for viewership that doesn't represent value. It's a spider-web of cause and effect. If this super League can form a model that revolves around competitiveness with a relegation / withdrawal mechanic it's worth interest. Football has become a bore fest, that's something you would hardly find in a conversation decades ago. The sport needs innovation in certain areas to diversify.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Global TV revenue will be huge for this. As much as we love our own Leauge, the appeal for fans especially in China, US, India and pretty much the remainder of Asia to watch the biggest teams in the world play each other week in week out is a massive global market to exploit. Jus looking at some statistics, apprarantly the PL draws in billions of views in China alone each season.

I abosolutly hate this idea though. Not sure I want to see Leicester City winning the PL every season.
Don't agree. It will devalue the fixtures.

About this super league plans, It is a self serving venture from all these owners. No mention about involvement of fans. Control of football shouldn't rest on the owners. They are just part of it and should never own it.

Siorac

Do you remember the bosman ruling?
Rules are rules but if the rule is clearly punitive (which this would be) then I believe they will lose in court. At the end of the day they would just be doing it out of spite. And any player will win the argument in court in my opinion.
I remember but the Bosman ruling was a matter of contract law and employment law. Free movement of labour, one of the founding principles of the EU, was violated.

This one would be quite different

Delano

Hilarious to read the PL statement. The same PL who (along with Sky) have created the current gap across the leagues.

GreenandGold2021

More power to you then. I respect your ideological stance but I am all for this.
I have lurked on these boards for a number of years but your post compelled me to register and respond.

Clearly you have never set foot in Old Trafford if you think this a good idea.

This is nothing but greed from a scumbag owners and it is time for a renewed green and gold campaign to rid these c*nts from our football club.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It can't happen surely?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How would this super league work in terms of the domestic league then?

Heard talk of 18 (!) games in the league stage?! How can that work with 38 league games on top?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Football has already been ruined in just about every other way. Anyway, over to Wembley for the semi final of a legendary cup competition that’s been completely robbed of its magic.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Hilarious to read the PL statement. The same PL who (along with Sky) have created the current gap across the leagues.
Yep., always hypocrites

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I’m being a dumb-dumb. Am I right in saying that these 12 clubs or so, wishes to LEAVE their respective domestic leagues and just have an “elite” league of clubs only? Just season on season of United playing Barca etc only every season?

If it is, then Jesus wept. Hope this will get rightfully shat on.

I don’t give 2 shits about UEFA, they are as corrupt an organisation as you can get. So nothing wrong with freaking away from them and seeing them crumble.

However, a closed shop is not the answer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But since it involves tax money, can city residents vote against it?
They can and sometimes do but the trade-off is that you will lose the team if you succeed. In fact you even take the risk to lose the team if your proposal isn't as interesting as the one made by an other city, that's why every "small" market fanbase is currently afraid of Seattle, Las Vegas and Tampa Bay who are all looking for franchises to host.

Revan

Assumptionman
Is this some Champions League new format?
Yes and no.

First, it will not be under UEFA's umbrella. Second, it will be the same teams every year (or at least 12-15 of them, with 5 or so being qualified). I think it would be more an NBA of European football.

I still haven't made my mind, but I probably would like it. I also think it will make the other competitions very irrelevant.

kidbob

He absolutely does.

Ah my bad then mate. I still think if you want real fairness then you need to control spending. Or else its fairness for United and the rest but nor fairness for Burnley and others. So is fairness only for the top clubs in UEFA's eyes. As for the PL they let absolute leeches cripple us with debt without saying a word as far as I know. Is that 'fair'. Is it fair that Rangers won't go straight into the CL next year because they play in Scotland? What is fair?

Dobba

The Premier League complaining about a breakaway competition is absolutely hilarious.

Nice to know we apparently live in a country where "money flows down the football pyramid". Will certainly be breaking news to anyone who considers themselves a non-league football fan.

James_42

You can tell Sky are scared shitless of this happening, who is going to pay their sky subscription fee to watch the likes of Burnley and Newcastle?

Siorac

It’s the norm here in the states so it’s not usually challenged. In cases where it is, like the Raiders, the team will just relocate. Oakland, CA didn’t want to fund a new stadium and Las Vegas did so now they’re the Las Vegas, Raiders.

This is also a big reason why relegation will never be a thing in America. Owners will not pay the franchise fee and then risk having them team drop to a lower league. Cities funding stadiums and then the team is relegated, wouldn’t be acceptable. This is the mindset in American sports and it has been extremely successful in all American leagues besides the MLS so far.
Yeah I don't want this model anywhere near European football.

hobbers

I know what you are saying. That future doesn’t look promising but it does look more promising then the alternative of languishing in the domestic league because oil clubs have a hegemony on the top 4 positions.

This was inevitable. The oil clubs are spending money and the only way to keep up is to earn more and that involves commercial whoring. What choice do we have in a world without FFP and clubs bankrolled by sovereign funds?

To buy a striker like Haaland today is around 150m. How can you even attract top talent without more money?

This change is happening whether you like it or not. The only question is on which side of the equation MUFC land on.
You're looking at it from the point of view of fecking over the oil clubs, and it might do to some extent, but that was not the intention of this league from the Glazers, FSG and the rest of the vile American financiers involved in this.

In a nutshell this is about taking the game of football away from Europe, where the market is stagnant, and selling it to the rest of the world, where the market is growing. And the casualties will be football in England, football in Spain, and football in Italy. All the other clubs in all of the domestic leagues will suffer. It'll kill the game of football in Europe.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Can somebody explain to me how this is even a thing when virtually everyone is against it?? If Man United (or any club for that matter) were to turn their back on the fans in this manner, I would never forgive them.

Brightonian

Shocked by this. Can't believe it's come to this. Is there a petition or something we can sign as fans of the club to say we don't support this?

I’m being a dumb-dumb. Am I right in saying that these 12 clubs or so, wishes to LEAVE their respective domestic leagues and just have an “elite” league of clubs only? Just season on season of United playing Barca etc only every season?

If it is, then Jesus wept. Hope this will get rightfully shat on.
I think they still want the domestic competition. It’s the threat from the domestic leagues though, that they won’t be able to do both.

I think we will see a compromise come out of this. You can’t not have the domestic leagues.