European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Revan

Assumptionman
Not Sheffield, but definitely a Spurs or a Athletico or a City who will pump in the oil money to win the non Super League competitions.
All of them are in the list of 12 clubs as founders of the new Super League.

Kounan

Yes. German clubs are usually fan owned and controlled, which is great.
And I don't think that Bayern would gain anything from that kind of league. This league and money makes more sense for teams who have to compete against "state" owned teams, where it's really very hard to do anything (the proof is there). Dortmund would probably gain something at least in Bundesliga. This would most suit Real and Barcelona.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Come on now, you know that was never how the competition was meant to work.
How is what it was meant to be relevant? This is about what it is. I couldn’t give two shits if the CL dies - it’s been absolutely tedious for years. If it means UEFA lose a cash cow then even better. I’m waiting until I see how they ensure domestic competition isn’t undermined before joining in the hysteria.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
So how does this work then? Would we still be in the PL? What happens to league placings, since we're not going to be in the CL?

Not surprised club owners are for this. Now they don't even have to invest to finish in top four places for that sweet CL money. Guaranteed money every year. feck the Glazers.

90 + 5min

Is this not the best move for the club?

How would you feel if United refused to enter the super league but 5 other PL teams went instead? How far would a moral victory actually get us by the time the super league kicked off? You think we'd sign Haaland? Maybe Sancho? What about a Grealish? Forget it, we'd be shopping in the Championship for players.
I would love it if we said no. Integrity. I don't care about some fake league and I believe it is everything against what football is and was in this country. It is against open competition and have only one purpose. Make money. It has nothing to do with sport. I would love to se declaration of purpose for this league.

I don't watch ManUtd because of what players we sign. I watch because I've been fan for decades and decades. I rather have Phil Bardsley and Peter Crouch playing for us in Premier League then Sancho or Haaland in europa league. If that is the choice.

SuperLeague must be dream for people living in such sport culture (like NHL, NFL and so on) and for the young fans not having long history being supporter.

el3mel

So this is it ? We're really going to announce it along side the other clubs in less than an hour ? When will it start ? Next year ? Is this really our last year playing in PL and CL ? I can't believe this.

markhughes

You all do know this is just a CL replacement right? Not a breakaway from the PL
I don’t believe that is accurate as the Premier League have to agree to let them compete, if they don’t (and they won’t) then Utd would have to leave the Premier League in order to take part.

I think the Champions League revamp is something different isn’t it? If Utd were to leave the premier league and champions league I would call it a day after 35 years.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You all do know this is just a CL replacement right? Not a breakaway from the PL
Well UEFA are being backed into a corner to come up with a better counter proposal and yes, a restructuring of the CL may be a compromise but they’ve categorically stated that they’ll do everything to prevent it including banning players taking part in international competitions.

This will run and run

Red Daz

There’s no way fifa an uefa will ban players playing in this super league from representing their countries, people watch the World Cup to see Messi , if FIFA have no Messi they don’t get sponsors and they don’t get viewers, this is just posturing from all sides, UEFA are scared, FIFA are scared and the domestic leagues are scared, mostly of a loss of revenue, the whole thing stinks of greed from all sides, it’s a perfect reflection of today’s game, I kind of want it to happen just to see the sh*t storm

Mindhunter

Clearly you don't know anything about the history of the club and you are just a glory hunting yank.

The Glazers and the other scumbag owners are trying to hijack football in this country and make it into the NFL. No one should be confused about what's happening here, this is one step closer to salary caps so they can make fortunes and drafts so they don't have to buy players.

Perhaps you will relish us tanking and losing to Barcelona 18-0 so we can finish bottom of the league on goal difference and get the first pick in the draft.

All I can say is over my dead body. It is time to rid this club of the cancerous Glazers.
First of all get off your high horse. I believe that you have a legitimate cause for concern here but you are diluting it by branding anyone who doesn’t agree with your world view as a “glory hunter”. It’s clear you don’t have an open mind so I have no hope that you would at least consider the contrary position. You don’t have to agree with it, just understand it.

Everything you just said is already happening and this is just the tailwind of that. Yes the transformation is slow but it is getting there. And when it does, the newly rich clubs like City, PSG, and Newcastle (if it happens) will be at the top of the pyramid relegating clubs like ours to feeder clubs.

Why are the club so desperate? It’s obvious we aren’t able to compete with these clubs already. The market has spoken and running a sustainable business in football is impossible as long as there is no FFP and financial doping is allowed. They can literally see a future where they struggle to get to CL places and fall behind because of the revenue shortfall. It’s not a future owners will accept will fully in the name of preserving football heritage. It’s a land grab .

redrobed

Why are Liverpool in it? If they’re including teams for historical reasons and what teams did 50 years ago, why not Notts County?

Sparky Rhiwabon

Really? Football being compared to darts?
I am clearly not comparing the sports directly but darts was an example of a major breakaway competition. Both have major TV rights and sponsorships (football obviously bigger before you suggest I am saying they are the same). The breakaway resulted in a far better product that fans preferred in the end. Just looking at the other side of the argument.

diarm

:lol: By that logic why do we bother buying players now? For the £5 million CL winners prize? The Glazers have invested more money in the last few years than United have ever had
You can't actually be this dumb?

We buy players now so we can qualify for the Champions League and the Glazers can get paid.

RORY65

We need big name players to keep the fans emptying their wallets for us and our sponsors.
We will be playing big teams every week, the sponsors will get their exposure, while if the fans are willing to stick with the club after this shit idea then I imagine they will regardless of whether we're 6th or 10th in a group. I'm baffled by the idea that people think this will make the likes of us and Arsenal more competitive, this ensures the revenue regardless of whether we are or not and so the best sides will more clearly be those whose ownerships are more interested in success than just money (i.e. those with an ego like Perez or those using their clubs for sports washing like City's owners) because the owners interested primarily in money don't have to worry about investing to make the top 4.

crossy1686

career ending
From the Athletic for those that haven't read the details yet:
What is happening?
Reports emerged on Sunday of plans for a breakaway European Super League. It is in response to UEFA’s new Champions League format, which will involve 36 teams and is to be announced on Monday.

European Club Association chairman Andrea Agnelli, who is also Juventus president, seems to have backed the Super League.

The ECA itself and its board had previously backed the new Champions League format.

But there is now said to be significant support for a Super League.

Which teams have opposed the proposal?
Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain are both thought to not be backing the ESL.

There is a belief at the top of PSG that it would be disrespectful to join the 12 clubs backing these plans.

They are keen to discuss UEFA’s proposal after it is presented on Monday.

PSG are also thought to believe that European competition should not be restricted to the richest clubs, and that smaller teams like Atalanta, Ajax or Leicester should have their shot.

A source added: “We are sticking to the tradition of UEFA.”

Who is backing the plan?
The 12 clubs supporting the European Super League, as it stands, are: Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan, AC Milan and Juventus.

What would a European Super League look like?
A report in January made this clear. The tournament would involve 20 clubs, with 15 permanent members and five qualifying annually. Six English clubs — the same six clubs that comprise the Premier League’s so-called “big six” — would be among 15 permanent founding members.

The Times reported that founder members of a proposed European Super League would be offered up to £310 million each to join the competition. Champions League qualification is worth about £100 million.

The 20 clubs would be split into two 10-team groups. Each team in a group would play home and away matches against one another. The top four teams in each group would then play a knockout play-off across the two divisions to decide the champion for the season.

There would be home and away legs in the quarter-finals and semi-final, with a final played at a neutral venue.

It would also see a best versus worst approach to the knockout matches, with the team with the best record playing the team with the eighth-best record. This would also apply to the semi-finals.

Matches would take place in midweek, with the exception of the final. Clubs would still play in their domestic leagues.

And what about UEFA’s reformed Champions League?
UEFA wants a new format for the Champions League from 2024, with one 36-team league replacing the current group stage, where every team plays 10 matches.

This is called the ‘Swiss model’.

Under the proposed format, by the time winner has lifted the European Cup, the competition will have produced 100 new games, and the finalists will have played at least 17 matches, four more than under the current system.

Accommodating four additional games in the autumn will be a challenge for most national leagues, however, including in England, where the Carabao Cup would be under threat.

Three of the four extra Champions League places would meanwhile go to clubs based on past performance in Europe, using the UEFA coefficient ranking system

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Well UEFA are being backed into a corner to come up with a better counter proposal and yes, a restructuring of the CL may be a compromise but they’ve categorically stated that they’ll do everything to prevent it including banning players taking part in international competitions.

This will run and run
And people are fine with this? They’re a fecking cartel. They’re ruining international football as it is with their pointless national league shite. And as I’ve said before - if it’s a choice between earning millions or international football I don’t think FIFA are winning that argument. Then see how the World Cup looks without 200 of the best players around.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
If this happens then what’s helge point of us being in the PL?

That’s just a avenue to qualify for the CL so wouldn’t it be pointless to play?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Excellent matches every week. More interesting to see us playing Real and Barcelona than Burnley or Newcastle.
With no jeopardy? You may be just one of the handful of fans that would find this appealing week in, week out. Would you be prepared to travel to Kuwait to watch the games? Just asking?

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Yeah but they're saying that the PL, La Liga & Serie A will ban the teams from playing in the super league - in which case the teams may threaten to (or actually) leave their domestic leagues in order to play in the super league.

el3mel

Excellent matches every week. More interesting to see us playing Real and Barcelona than Burnley or Newcastle.
I prefer playing Burnley or Newcastle to win the Premier fecking League than to play Real and win this shit competition.

Drainy

well, I think the plan was that we'd still be playing Burnley etc. but European games would only be against the clubs with the biggest draw.

I am against the idea, but UEFA need to be fairer on the clubs that make their competitions profitable than they are planning on being, and the plan to ban any clubs & players that join is abusive, anti-competitive and should be met with anger from fans rather than cheered.

DuruttiColumn

This all looks like a leverage move to me. No way we are leaving UEFA and joining a rebel league like World Series Cricket in 1978. The clubs are just trying to squeeze more money from UEFA

Red00012

Ya, this would end football for me in all honesty
I can imagine it now , we check to see what’s on the tv for the night , Utd at home to Barca or Antiques Roadshow. You’ll be watching it and so will everyone else.

(I’m not saying I agree with this breakaway FYI)

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If this happens then what’s helge point of us being in the PL?

That’s just a avenue to qualify for the CL so wouldn’t it be pointless to play?
I know it’s foreign to us right now but it was nice to win

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Not if you're handing that control over to Florentino Perez, Glazer and Kroenke.
Honestly, as much as I hate them, I do understand them. FIFA and UEFA on the other hands are bureaucrats who have little actual stake in the game and are rife with corruption.

So yeah, I'd rather football be run by the owners of the major clubs rather than corrupt third parties.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
so if the premier league doesnt approve them joining the new super league can the clubs use the loophole and register all the players for the 2nd team? rule says that clubs cant play their senior mens first team in any competition other than uefa ones. If United register the first team as the reserves for example could this circumvent the rule?

Not strictly true.

if the PL don’t allow it, and the clubs want to pursue it, they will need to leave the PL. That’s the high stakes game of poker we are playing.

I’m sure there will be a compromise. Perhaps a number of European super leagues with promotion/ relegation? This is just the start, and the breakaway will want to recruit more teams. You can se the likes of Celtic and Rangers gobbling this up and wanting to jump on board ASAP.

the upshot could be the removal of UEFA from club competition.

there’s no way FIFA are banning players from these clubs from international matches, that’s a joke of a threat.

two of the most corrupt organisations in world sport, UEFA and FIFA trying to hold shit tighter and throwing accusations about money and greed around. Bloody ironic.

Im not for this, but if it brings down UEFA and/ or FIFA that’s no bad thing. Something will rise from the ashes.

SER19

Thank you Man City. Thank you PSG. Thank you every sad mental gymnast who dismissed the negative impact of their owners on the game as nothing more than bitterness. Their absolutely disgracefully sustained petrodollar business model has rattled every other greedy fuc* running a club these days. Every single governing body and fan who idled by and said nothing while city ruined the Premier league doesn't have a leg to stand on now. Sky Sports moaning about fairness? Tough shit you said nothing when it lined your pockets. Uefa? Likewise.

Needless to say if this wrestlemania shit show goes ahead I'll no longer watch.

diarm

Mate the biggest issue is that the PL allowed it happen. Why allow this shit to happen and then cry foul at the consequences? The PL should have stepped in and said that no way could we be bought and have that debt put on the club. Now what we have is the PL calling 'fair play'. These problems were created by the likes of PL and UEFA alone and no one else. "Wow scumbag owners who only care abut themselves are acting in a selfish way"! The time to stop this was years ago but they did nothing and now this is the result.

By the way we are already the relative bottom feeders in the PL now anyway.
This reminds me of the scene in Step Brothers where the two lads beg their parents to let them turn their beds into bunk beds, and then blame them for letting them do it when it all goes wrong.

We all knew the Glazers were wrong 'uns right from the start. I honestly wouldn't be shocked to learn them, Kronke and the Liverpool shower had this planned before they ever even bought the clubs.

We all stood by and let it happen, not just the Premier League.