European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
What is Real Madrid's fans take on this, anyone knows? And Barcelona?

Unlike British fans, those can kick their presidents out and make this not happen. This would probably be the most likely way that can prevent this from happening, but I have no idea what their mood is in relation to this.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How fecked is it that Leipzig are the other club that is going to join :lol: Such a blatant money grab. Disgusting.

caid

UEFA have bent over backwards to accommodate the big clubs. The idea they're short changing them is laughable.

el3mel

What is Real Madrid's fans take on this, anyone knows? And Barcelona?

Unlike British fans, those can kick their presidents out and make this not happen. This would probably be the most likely way that can prevent this from happening, but I have no idea what their mood is in relation to this.
I don't think any one can kick Perez out of his position. Don't Madrid fans like him in general anyway? Or that's what I always thought.

YzWayne

Not sure it has been asked in the earlier post but as a player, by playing at the ESL means that they might not be able to participate in the world cup / Euros anymore. Why would a player accept that? What can the player do though as they are still contracted to the respective clubs?

tjb

UEFA has been horrible in their dealing with the "bigger clubs"? Specifically? As in more terrible with them than with every other club?

Greed from UEFA is in the form of corruption from the people in charge of it, because otherwise UEFA is not a corporation designed for profit, it's an associative body to govern football. People in charge of those 6 British clubs, for example, are in it for straight profit and/or influence. These are significantly different types of greed, because one is a flaw of the system, which can ultimately be corrected, the other is just inherent to it, i.e., people who own the power in those clubs aren't really in it because they love football as a sport.

As an associative body, UEFA rules, and it's competitions line of evolution in the last decades, is incredibly biased towards maintaining status quo. But they still have to maintain a resemblance of being an associative body with same rules for all, etc. This completely breaks away from it in that core principle of 15 clubs who have their presence guaranteed.

And if we're honest, this is the only way to maximize profit in a straight-profit corporate world. Just don't fool yourself. These clubs aren't breaking away from UEFA to create a fairer and more functional sportive competition. If they were, they would have organized this in a completely different way, with completely different principles.
Greater discussions with their main participants before deciding to change the UCL format

The transfer bans they've imposed on big teams for bogus reasons leading to potential losses in earnings

Their failure to properly impose FFP

Their decision to create the UEFA Nations League encouraging fixture pile up

According to the clubs, disproportionate distribution of earnings, UEFA as a body receives too much

In terms of the FA:

Bogus and arrogant rulings like the one for Cavani and examples set against players at big clubs

Punishments for rightful complaining about poor refereeing decisions

Imposition of home grown rule making local markets more difficult to navigate for bigger clubs without consultation and voting on the issue

tjb

Not sure it has been asked in the earlier post but as a player, by playing at the ESL means that they might not be able to participate in the world cup / Euros anymore. Why would a player accept that? What can the player do though as they are still contracted to the respective clubs?
It doesn't make sense. That was a poor statement imo. They may as well cancel the Euros for the forseeable future.

If this results in United not competing in the PL that's probably me done with European football to be honest.

Might seem dramatic but it feels like something died in football today, feels like a nightmare. Can only hope it doesn't go through.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
I don't think any one can kick Perez out of his position. Don't Madrid fans like him in general anyway? Or that's what I always thought.
He's elected. And though his term is until 2025 I'm almost sure there ways of invoking extraordinary assemblies and anticipating elections if a given number of sócios wants it. It's always the case in this type of ownership (Portuguese clubs are run in the same way).

No matter how much they like him, this is a radical enough idea to make them change in regards to that. It's akin to a president of a country deciding something like Brexit. He can only do it with the majority of support, no matter how much they adored him prior to this decision. The only way he can do this if he sells this idea to the majority of Real Madrid fans. Which I guess may very well be the case, I just don't know. What I mean is that the idea that this can happen against the wishes of fans is not valid for the Spanish clubs.

el3mel

This point is still not confirmed. I think they will still be allowed, I guess.

Though if it happens, then I honestly think many players nowadays care about clubs money more than playing in World Cup anyway. International tournaments haven't been as important as they used to be several years ago imo. A lot of top players nowadays actually play for national teams who have no hope to compete at World Cup. I honestly don't think they will care that much.

But still, I think this particular point won't happen and they will let the players play normally.

Steamboat Willy

This is by far, the worst decision in modern day football.

This whole thing with prefixed participants, who get the biggerst share og money no matter how Arsenal-like they compete, is totally against the spirit og football, well actually against the idea og sports in general.

Every club, and player, who participates in this freakshow should be banned from playing in any otter tournament. Foreign and domestic.

I for my selv can’t keep supporting United or enjoy football anymore without the element if free competition. (Which was already challenged heavily by Oil-“clubs”.

“Fans” who watch this, may as well just watch youtube-highlights, that is also great players performing there skills, with no element of real competition.

I’m out.

el3mel

He's elected. And though his term is until 2025 I'm almost sure there ways of invoking extraordinary assemblies and anticipating elections if a given number of sócios wants it. It's always the case in this type of ownership (Portuguese clubs are run in the same way).

No matter how much they like him, this is a radical enough idea to make them change in regards to that. It's akin to a president of a country deciding something like Brexit. He can only do it with the majority of support, no matter how much they adored him prior to this decision. The only way he can do this if he sells this idea to the majority of Real Madrid fans. Which I guess may very well be the case, I just don't know. What I mean is that the idea that this can happen against the wishes of fans is not valid for the Spanish clubs.
Honestly don't know. I don't think Real Madrid have an English forum like us to see their reaction. :lol: We will need someone fluent in Spanish to tell us what they are saying on Twitter.

What about Barca fans as well? Didn't they just get a new elected president?

lysglimt

Scout
I guess we can't hope for the players of these clubs going together to stop this idea by demanding a transfer to a club outside. That is my hope now.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
The Glazers and FSG have been driving forces behind this whole process so they aren't going to budge unless it fails miserably and they have no choice. If that's the case, hopefully the Glazers decide to sell up. American "investor" owners don't care at all about the sporting aspect of owning a football team. They just want their asset to increase in value and guarantee financial returns.
FSG always claim to be listeners of the supporters and have changed their minds a few times but only after pressure was placed upon them from the supporters. I guess their true colors will come out now.

Cast5

What’s to stop other clubs not in the super league creating their own super league?

Maybe they should, the top 4 of each super league could qualify for the super-super league and the bottom 3 of each super league could be relegated to the not so super league. It would be great until some of the clubs from each super league break away to play in the wonderful amazing super duper league.

Don’t be hysterical about my suggestion football is always evolving.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Honestly don't know. I don't think Real Madrid have an English forum like us to see their reaction. :lol: We will need someone fluent in Spanish to tell us what they are saying on Twitter.

What about Barca fans as well? Didn't they just get a new elected president?
One Real Madrid forum I just saw has a poll with 54% - 46% with "no" in front. Which is a much smaller margin than I expected.

And forums are not representative, regular going fans have has much votes and like any other election a lot will be easily sold by what they see in TV.

I think that wouldn't stop it. Barcelona is struggling for money. And even if it went to votes for the fans I could see both sets voting for "yes" just out of fear that the other club went and theirs would be left out. When push comes to shove, they will vote for their best interest, or what they perceive to be so. Words are usually a lot more magnanimous than actions, specially when fear is a dominating factor.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
LOOOOOOOOL
Apparently perez said if players are banned from internationals they gonna make their own world Cup!
The state of this shit

Iron

why do people keep saying uefa and fifa corrupt and greedy on this particular event. Is that hard to get informed better. Uefa does not want the creation of this superleague. The top clubs want it, they are greedy, and we man united are pretty much at the center and at fault. The Glazers are very involved on this matter.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Look at the money at stake here - 350m . This is happening guys. No one is going to say no to that. PL and UEFA is going to be be compensated nicely.

el3mel

One Real Madrid forum I just saw has a poll with 54% - 46% with "no" in front. Which is a much smaller margin than I expected.

And forums are not representative, regular going fans have has much votes and like any other election a lot will be easily sold by what they see in TV.

I think that wouldn't stop it. Barcelona is struggling for money. And even if it went to votes for the fans I could see both sets voting for "yes" just out of fear that the other club went and theirs would be left out. When push comes to shove, they will vote for their best interest, or what they perceive to be so. Words are usually a lot more magnanimous than actions, specially when fear is a dominating factor.
Yeah forums and social media fans are mostly a minority, but it's what we have when we want to search for opinions.

I do get the point about being left behind. It seems like Madrid were one of the leading clubs pushing for this to happen considering Perez seems to be the front face of the whole thing followed by Juve's chairman. Barca probably were afraid of being left behind and just jumped into. It will be interesting to know what their fans think about it though. Their team hasn't been anywhere that much competitive in Europe in recent years.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

In the assembly of socios he obtained the positive vote in all the points with an overwhelming advantage.
He did not say the word super league but gave it to understand in a speech in which he spoke of the necessary reform.
I think everything would have to go extremely wrong to be a vote of no confidence (asumming that works like Barcelona with Bartomeu)

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Look at the money at stake here - 350m . This is happening guys. No one is going to say no to that. PL and UEFA is going to be be compensated nicely.
Look at the actors on the front row to receive this money:
- Real Madrid and Perez's narcisism
- Their city rival and country rival, the later of which is struggling financial and has dire perspectives for the short-to-medium term team building capacity
- Italian clubs who have been out of the picture for ages
- Six UK clubs, who are owned by private investors who have probably lost hugely during the pandemic

Looking at that, very hard for it not to happen unless FIFA / FAs / UEFA can make the idea have an intolerably high risk for these clubs and their players in the short term. Which is probably nothing short of banning them outright from competitions (as in, starting tomorrow).

We have a novel for months.

Raveneye

No club gets to decide they're among the best in Europe without actually proving it. Not even Manchester United. This club's owners need to be punished for this, at the very least by having absolutely nobody turn up or watch the Super League. Whatever the corruption and other problems with UEFA, this is not the answer. This is the new big problem, one of anti-competition and oligopoly and greed over culture and the health of the game.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Gross move, but it's really the greed of FA and UEFA which has allowed this to happen.

The FA and Premier League failed to do their duty when they allowed Roman and Glazers to complete their takeover.

Kita

You can't forget the format though.

Of course I love seeing the best players in the world face each other, but you'll quickly see that without something material on the line - without the vast majority of games actually mattering - it becomes a very diluted form of the sport.

Players don't give their all, star players are rested far more frequently and the actual games are much, much, much less competitve.

It's a cash grab. The 15 'Founding Fathers' are guaranteed their millions every year regardless of performance, while quite literally half the league (almost certainly made up entirely of 'founders' as they'll have a huge wage/player disparity to the 5 teams that qualify yearly) make the playoffs. It renders the extended group stage a half-hearted borefest.

It will most certainly - based on all evidence of similar formats - be a vastly inferior product.

An 18-25 game group stage that barely matters will be like watching preseason friendlies LARPing as actual competition... like the International Champions Cup we played in for a couple of summers.
NBA format is terrible and the ratings show. The regular season is irrelevant and placement doesn't matter. Teams get rewarded for being bad. Its a joke and these owners in football trying to replicate it somehow should be ashamed.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
It feels very greedy by the clubs and is bad for football on a whole yet FIFA and UEFA are just as shit and greedy.

Oh, really? I'm quite convinced it's that or nothing and very much leaning towards that the clubs are serious and will go through with leaving.

Obviously we can only guess.
Everyone is serious. The PL cannot afford to lose these clubs. Domestic competition and some form of this super league will end up as a compromise. I don’t see this as a breakaway.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I doubt it. These super league will replace the CL so these clubs can't be bothered what UEFA think. Regarding the PL good luck for them selling their media rights for a league that doesn't have United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal in it. I am sure that the average South Korean, American or Nigerian will gladly pay a ridiculously expensive subscription and wake up on ridiculous hours to watch an exciting game of rugby between Stoke and Burnley.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
The reward money for winning it will be around 30 million, the big 5 clubs will make 300 million for just showing up, it’s less for the next 10 around 100 to 150 million and the 5 qualifying clubs could go all the way and win it and still make less than real and United, whereas winning the champs league is 120 million which is 300% more than making the group stages.

this is like turning up for the biggest exam of your life and getting 80% for signing your name, other than pride why would you even try( the glazers and likes don’t care about winning only money) so feck this sham cabal feck thus anticompetitive competition feck modern football.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
I personally hate the idea of it, but as the title of the thread asks.. why are Spurs invited?
Have you seen a revenue graph of PL clubs lately? The proportional (I mean as a percentage) gap between top 1 and top 6 is smaller than between top 6 and top 7.

this is like turning up for the biggest exam of your life and getting 80% for signing your name, other than pride why would you even try( the glazers and likes don’t care about winning only money) so feck this sham cabal feck thus anticompetitive competition feck modern football.
Let’s adjust your figures a bit for your analogy.

as long as you aren’t a complete tool. You turn up to every exam, and you should know you are getting 50% of the answers before you know the questions.

YzWayne

So its either the corrupted UEFA / FIFA or the Greed of the big teams. Football has become too commericialised for its own good.

Aside that, Leicester must be thinking why they were not invited and yet Spurs is on the list. :wenger:

gorky_utd

I can understand why the greedy PL owners want a super money league but I am really surprised to see record time champion Real Madrid are the front runner of this breakaway thing.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
A dark day for football. I genuinely hope we’re kicked out of the CL next season (if we qualify) and deducted points from the PL. disgraceful move.

RedDevil@84

A dark day for football. I genuinely hope we’re kicked out of the CL next season (if we qualify) and deducted points from the PL. disgraceful move.
The leagues should meet and just ban all 12 clubs with immediate effect from the league, CL and Europa. Additionally, any cups won this season should be forfeited.

James Peril

Ah welcome to commercial breaks during the games, new names for clubs and odd starting times to suit the Chinese crowd. This is screwing with so much history and blood, sweat and tears - they should be ashamed! Capitalism at its finest of course, there is no stopping crazy ideas.

The FYRE festival of football.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
LOOOOOOOOL
Apparently perez said if players are banned from internationals they gonna make their own world Cup!
The state of this shit

Perez out of fecks to give :lol: