European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FC Bayern statement

red4ever 79

statement just released by Bayern

https://fcbayern.com/de/news/2021/0...ungnahme-karl-heinz-rummenigge?shortURL=Njs3U

English translation

Regarding the plans to introduce a European Super League, says Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, CEO of FC Bayern: “FC Bayern did not participate in the planning of a Super League. We are convinced that the current statics in football guarantee a serious basis. FC Bayern welcomes the reforms of the Champions League because we believe that they are the right step for the development of European football. The modified preliminary round will contribute to more tension and emotionality in the competition. "

Ixion

The race to get into the top 4 places in the Premier League is literally one of the reasons a "big 4" even became a thing. Taking away those teams need to qualify for Europe, while City are 20 points clear at the top of the League, will completely destroy the League. You will have the best teams not giving a shit and fielding weakened teams. This is no way whatsoever benefits the Premier League, even keeping the 6 teams in the League the spectacle of it will be ruined, all the while they're pocketing hundreds of millions more than the other teams actually going for it.

The Purley King

What do you think the drop will be on the TV contracts etc. when the top 6 teams leave. The PL will essentially become worthless.
Big drop in TV money for sure. What can the PL do if the other 14 teams want them out for a very clear breach of the rules though? Or you think the other teams will shrug their shoulders and get on with it?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
let's hope all 14 do it. Meeting tomorrow I believe
Only thing is Glazer's and Henry are probably happy about it as they'll be able to 'move the franchise'. Not sure what Chelsea will do as their pitch owners own the name Chelsea Football Club and I think also own the freehold to Stamford Bridge.

::sonny::

The highest risk is to get banned from uefa and fa, with the super league blocked by eu authorities

like said the la liga chairman tebas:

this is something that was born at 5 am in a bar by drunk people with a PowerPoint

surely they not considered a lot of things

RedRover

What do you think the drop will be on the TV contracts etc. when the top 6 teams leave. The PL will essentially become worthless.
It won't because other teams will become "the top 6" and become better resourced. The PL is a great product, over and above the 6 proposing to leave, unlike the other Leagues around Europe. It's still a saleable asset and people will still invest.

Fan sentiment on this is strong. These clubs (especially the likes of Arsenal and Spurs) aren't, in my view, as strong as they think they are. People value competition and the excitement and jeopardy the PL format brings. The owners of these clubs don't understand this.

Abizzz

I don't understand why other league's would accept this proposal of the superleague clubs staying? Even if the superleague were to outshine every domestic league there'd be more to be had from said domestic league without the b teams of the superleague teams sitting around (and for what? They wont want to qualify for Europe and they've relegated the title to something inferior to "super"). If I were Everton, West Ham etc. I'd do everything to stop fixtures against teams playing in competions I can't be a part of. It would cost less to get rid than to keep them imo.

BlackShark_80

https://www.dr.dk/sporten/fodbold/d...oldgiganter-ud-af-champions-league-paa-fredag
Chairman of Danish FA and member of UEFA executive committee Jesper Møller expects that the 12 clubs will be expelled on friday.

Jesper Møller says that an extraordinary executive committee meeting is being held friday and Jesper Møller expects that the 12 clubs will be expelled.

"... Then you must see how you finish the Champions League"

Furthermore UEFA will give the players' the choice of staying at the current club or terminate their contracts.

"I believe that the contracts automatically terminates when the clubs leaves. Then the players are free to chose to play in a club that's part of solidarity and community - our pyramidesystem"

The Irish Connection

Regardless of the clubs have done right or wrong, it's another subject. Still I don't get why there are people who support Fifa/Uefa/domestic governing body to ban the players from WC or Euro. They're actually just professional workers who are respecting their contracts. If Fifa/Uefa have any issue with the ESL, they should target those 12 clubs not the players I think.
Absolutely. Fine the glazers half a billion out of their own pockets and get them out of football. Give United back to the fans or owners who really care about this great club.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Keeping them in would cause less financial damage to the other 14 teams.
Yeah, because holding out for a few dollars today only to get completely fecked over a couple of years down the line is such a great idea.

Keefy18

i was talking about the league, hence my usage of the word league.

do you get bored of PL league games against basically the same teams every year?
No because it has far more variables in it as mentioned.

This doesn't.

Ixion

My only hope is this god-awful shitshow of a Government can do something since half the teams are from the same fecking country. If you watch the PL you already get half of this shit already.

LARulz

https://www.dr.dk/sporten/fodbold/d...oldgiganter-ud-af-champions-league-paa-fredag
Chairman of Danish FA and member of UEFA executive committee Jesper Møller expects that the 12 clubs will be expelled on friday.

Jesper Møller says that an extraordinary executive committee meeting is being held friday and Jesper Møller expects that the 12 clubs will be expelled.

Furthermore UEFA will give the players' the choice of staying at the current club or terminate their contracts.

"I believe that the contracts automatically terminates when the clubs leaves. Then the players are free to chose to play in a club that's part of solidarity and community - our pyramidesystem"
I find it impossible to believe that these clubs don't have stronger contracts and they haven't thought through every single legal battle before making an announcement

Spoony

The People's President
We made £140m revenue from ticket sales pre Covid...and over £300m from broadcasting. So I guess there's the answer. I imagine they could rake in close to a billion pounds this way(based on nothing but a guess....) But money from ticket revenue won't increase that much. Sadly the money will be pocketed by our lovely owners.

Last edited:

UncleBob

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good fecking luck with that

Nogbadthebad

I find it impossible to believe that these clubs don't have stronger contracts and they haven't thought through every single legal battle before making an announcement
Joel Glazer once compared Martial to Pele.

Never confuse being rich with being clever.

SirAF

Ageist

:lol:

Interval

Level
Unless players rebel and join other clubs. Then we will all support Bruno at Southampton and man Utd will need to bring Manucho back with zero viewers to watch their team

Ricardo de la Vega

i was talking about the league, hence my usage of the word league.

do you get bored of PL league games against basically the same teams every year?
Its not the same teams every year you numpty! Teams get promoted, and can be relegated. There lies a threat over all of us - and a reward, in obtaining Champions League football which is part of the fun. I LOVE seeing new teams come up and us playing against them. I LOVE the fact that these smaller teams have earned the right to face us, one on one, on the same field. Its a great leveller.
Its like the magic of the FA cup - these superstars having to go to a small town somewhere on a wet cold January afternoon and scrap a result on a relatively tiny sandpit of a pitch. Thats what this is about. We're being deprived of that now for an eternal game of playstation football with the 'glamour teams' playing each other time and time and time again, meaninglessly, and pointlessly...forever. Its purgatory, made worse by knowing we were already in heaven.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Just as we start to look good again this shit happens

like there's never any dead rubbers in the current format? how about United needing to win their last few group games to make it to the knock out stages? that will just be dull, eh?
There will be far, far more in the new proposed Super League - given that there's 18-25 games and half the league 'qualify' anyway at the end of it all.

Not to mention a likely 38 game domestic season where positions 2-17 become completely identical apart from prize money for the owners.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I’d very much like to watch this
I seems pretty obvious to me that the appeal of this proposed ESL is strongest for fans from places outside of the European countries concerned. Fans on the 'lowest rung of the ladder' in other words.

It'll be a paradigm shift for the game if this proceeds therefore, and it should be strongly resisted imo.

Keefy18

It won't because other teams will become "the top 6" and become better resourced. The PL is a great product, over and above the 6 proposing to leave, unlike the other Leagues around Europe. It's still a saleable asset and people will still invest.

Fan sentiment on this is strong. These clubs (especially the likes of Arsenal and Spurs) aren't, in my view, as strong as they think they are. People value competition and the excitement and jeopardy the PL format brings. The owners of these clubs don't understand this.
This is absolute nonsense.

The 6 clubs know their worth.

It's plain to see what is going on here... It's a cash grab to balance the books post pandemic for god sake.

Burnley do not have the history Manchester United do and that's a simple fact of the matter. WBA don't have the history of Arsenal or Southampton with Liverpool.

The big 6 have huge global supporter bases for a reason and people simple aren't going to pay through the nose to watch WBA vs Fulham...

Need I remind you Sky TV's recent attempt at PPV matches flopped instantly?

Ixion

Also people who think UEFA, Fifa, the FA etc will be too scared to do anything, punish cubs etc. This is literally an existential threat to them. They will do absolutely anything.

Boavista

But in the strictest legal sense do UEFA have a leg to stand on? Aren't all these confederations voluntary organizations and certainly those 12 would argue that they the right to organize their own tournament to rival the CL?

I don't even trust the likes of Bayern, Dortmund, PSG and Porto. I think they know that the big twelve will eventually extract concessions from UEFA, FIFA and their respective FAs and they will join up in a year or so once the dust settles and the fallout has been navigated.
To be honest I have no idea if they have a leg to stand on, I'm no lawyer. I bet all the contracts and legal framework drawn up in the football hierarchy are very complex, but ultimately you're probably right in that UEFA can't prevent a breakaway from a contract perspective. They might be able to sue for damages though, if those clubs are breaking some contracts. On the other hand, those 12 clubs probably can't force UEFA/FIFA and domestic FAs to allow them to participate in their tournaments, so there's some leverage. We'll see if they have the courage to play those cards, because there's a lot on the line for all sides here.

It's true there's a possibility the clubs who have declined to join for now are just waiting for the dust to settle, but there's also the added conundrum that the German clubs and Porto I believe have to answer to their fans to some extent. So they might know they can't just go ahead with it like some other teams can. I'm actually surprised the Spanish teams have been so casual about joining.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Keeping them in would cause less financial damage to the other 14 teams.
To what point? You end up with teams that are guaranteed to earn at least 300m than you, forever and with the increase in the amount of games played by these teams, they will probably pillage you. The only think you are competing for(against) is relegation.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Yeah, just in UK probably . No one is watching West Ham vs Leicester , the PL title decider by waking up 4 AM or staying late until 12 AM To see the match (which is what's happening now)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

I think this is beyond naive. The reality is those 6 clubs hold all the cards and have for a long time which has only continued to grow. UEFA and the FA have done nothing to stop it while they were getting a slice. Do you seriously believe Everton or Leicester will be able to grow to the size they can fill that gap? The Premier League is a great product because of the top teams in it.

led_scholes

I really dislike UEFA and FIFA. They are a bunch of corrupt hypocrites. And I get it that the Champions league format needs a reform, that should not be handed by these guys.

But the answer does not lie in exluding ALL the other teams. This is what disgusts me in this so called super league.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
You would think everyone involved with this project knew there would be strong backlash, so i dont just see them backing off like that.

After all, why would they care if UEFA bans them EL/CL, or even getting banned from the domestic league, considering just how much more money there is in this super league? The clubs they are representing will be set for years/decades to come!