European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

already somewhere between 1 and 2. it’ll be 3 by the end of the week.
You are definitely a shill, you reappeared at a convenient time and are now trying to give us some free therapy.

Strelok

Also people who think UEFA, Fifa, the FA etc will be too scared to do anything, punish cubs etc. This is literally an existential threat to them. They will do absolutely anything.
Not really.

The main income of Fifa is from the WC, which has practically nothing against the ESL.

Uefa is another story with their biggest income is from CL, EL. Then the Euro. Ban the players and they'll lose the income from CL, EL and a very big part of the income from the Euro.

It's not an existential threat, imo they're simply too greedy. If they've agreed not to apply those new regulations of the CL this should not have happened.

stevoc

Watching United in 10th play Inter in 12th with neither team able to be relegated or win anything doesn't sound terribly exciting to me. And you will VERY quickly see matches like that, games against Spurs, Arsenal, Athletico etc. lose their glamour and be the kind of games fans skip.

When City have won this thing for 5 seasons in a row at least we can say we're part of the spectacle though yeah.
How would that work in a 10 team group?

Did you read the proposed format they've released for this shite?

RoyH1

I think it would be fascinating to know what these clubs internal data suggested re: fan and player/ex-player response. Did they expect the huge backlash? I am confident they are so out of touch and insulated (especially the American owners) that they just might have had no idea.
Don't think they care to be honest. 3 NFL teams were moved by their owners (one of them is Kroenke's Arsenal) within the last 6 years in order to get new stadiums and increase their value by relocation. They figure that the fans will show up anyway.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
United and Liverpool are English football. Arsenal and Chelsea are the other two. The other clubs going into that meeting don't have a leg to dance on.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Not really.

The main income of Fifa is from the WC, which has practically nothing against the ESL.

Uefa is another story with their biggest income is from CL, EL. Then the Euro. Ban the players and they'll lose the income from CL, EL and a very big part of the income from the Euro.

It's not an existential threat, imo they're simply too greedy.
Ban players from WC, FIFA is also hit. It's a circle.

red4ever 79

something not even discussed, what do match going fans think will happen to season tickets once all this goes ahead. There is no way you will continue to pay what you have been. Everything will go up and up

hanovercigars

Yeah, because holding out for a few dollars today only to get completely fecked over a couple of years down the line is such a great idea.
Many clubs will take the money now especially as revenues from match going fans has disappeared for one and half seasons. COVID has played into their hands.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Say the clubs get kicked out or banned and then they all form this super league. Transfers wont be able to happen anymore between the Super League and anywhere else as the federations wont ratify the transfers.
Hmm, yes, cant stop the money flowing in, but if they simply cant do business with anyone on the outside that would certainly shake things up.

SeanyC

Funny how these six PL clubs didn't come together to support lower league teams financially during the pandemic but very easily banded together if it meant they'd line their pockets further. I’m hearing there is a lot of noise against this coming from the top of these clubs but it’s the owners causing this.

AneRu

It wouldn't be the individual FAs that would ban the players, it would be FIFA.
Not sure if it can be done or not, but if it can and does happen it will have huge ramifications.
UEFA is the most powerful block in FIFA and Blatter had problems with them previously, these clubs have made a coup on UEFA and the cynic in me thinks that FIFA will soon betray UEFA and give legitimacy to ESL. There is too much money and too many cnuts involved for this block to hold out.

bond19821982

The modern human, a soulless mindless automaton. Programmed to consume products brought to you by huge empty corporations who care nothing for human rights violations and only their bottom end.

It's cnuts like you that have given these owners the impetus to push for a ESL.

You'd consume Arsenic if Amazon were fecking promoting it.
Behave . Reporting the post.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
City were able to grow by piggy backing onto the success of the league and the other big clubs within it. They are also backed by a nation state which is hardly replicable. Why would other owners come in and do the same if all the best teams had left the premier league? It's naive to think this wouldn't suck all the money out the league.
It will suck the money out of the league yes, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the standard drop a lot, even semi pro in a decade and I’d still rather watch that and real competition then this hollow shit of the spoilt kids taking their ball and playing in their little own meaningless league.

Boavista

What I'm trying to say is, UEFA nor FIFA doesn't have the high ground here, they themselves are corrupted. If they want to ban the players, clubs, they will also suffer as much.

Right now what I'm seeing is my beloved club is seen as the villain because of the media overreaction and propaganda, I don't like that. Football has always been about the elite clubs and the best players after all.

Premier League is famous worldwide because of the club and the players they can bring in, not solely because of the league.
I think that's where you're wrong though. Football's always been about the local connection, the stadium atmosphere, the frenzy of world cups and special nights in Europe. Not routine matchdays in Europe and at home where nothing is at risk. Football is also about those unlikely success stories of seeing a team overachieving against all odds.

It's easy to think it's all about the elite clubs when you're in Malaysia supporting an elite club half across the globe.

Abizzz

Yes and in that 20 years the FA and UEFA have done nothing to stop corruption from spreading into the game. By letting clubs get bought out under these owners the FA sold their soul and their power alongside it.
But football is so much more than those shady owners who get shadier the higher one gets up the pyramid. Allowing the top to isolate itself essentially to form a group of elite cnuts just doesn't feel like an improvement to me.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal

Super Club

Sorry what was the question?
to be fair it’s only the carabao cup, it’s hardly the same as watching them duel it out with spurs in the super league.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
JP Morgan taking care of the investment.

3/6 top 6 teams in EPL has American owners.

ESL that no genunie football fan wants.

Whats next, commercials half way through the first and second half?

Seriously, get this American capitalist BS away from our beautiful european game.
Where were you why Sky and the Big Five broke away from the old Division One?

Ixion

I would give anything for the outcome of this shit that United and the others are punted down to League 2 or lower and we have to make our way back up the leagues. I'd actually feel I could keep supporting them.

Jericholyte2

Watching the Conservative minister for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport crying about a select few looking to create a closed-loop based on wealth not merit.

Do they actually hear themselves talk!?!?!?

JB7

It would be a bit pointless though, there are more than enough people willing to jump in your place for boycotting to have an impact or be anything more than symbolic.
Not this year of all years though. The club offered all season ticket holders a one-year break with the promise of retaining their seat for the 22/23 season.

We've got 55k+ season ticket holders, if we could get a large % of those to take up that break option it would at the very least make a statement to United and those who are scared of cancelling have made their gesture without losing anything.

bond19821982

Again, can someone explain how do you think this will impact PL ? From what I read, this is purely hitting UEFA.

Yes, it's monopoly of 6 teams trying to grab huge money from outside but they aren't doing anything impacting the PL though ?

Blake's 7

Wonder what this will do to the proposed Newcastle takeover, why invest all that money not to be at the big table - or have any chance of getting an invite?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
Again, can someone explain how do you think this will impact PL ? From what I read, this is purely hitting UEFA.

Yes, it's monopoly of 6 teams trying to grab huge money from outside but they aren't doing anything impacting the PL though ?
the race for the top 4 is a huge selling point for the pl.

Ayrshire Red

If the Glazers and Woodward are championing it, then you know it’s not for the fans, absolutely scandalous.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's all bullshite. They should have gone all in with a genuine alternative to UEFA. A real european superleague, with multiple levels and everything. Replace the CL and subsume the domestic leagues

JB7

6 clubs guaranteeing themselves £300m a season for playing in a competition they will automatically qualify for? How would that not impact the Premier League?

Smores

I would give anything for the outcome of this shit that United and the others are punted down to League 2 or lower and we have to make our way back up the leagues. I'd actually feel I could keep supporting them.
That's the thing isn't it, no one wants to support a club whose actions we despise. We might try to compartmentalise it as not on the manager and players but still.

I'm less and less bothered about football anyway so i wouldn't be surprised if this does it for me.

Ixion

Imagine those 6 teams getting hundreds of millions every year more than the other PL teams.

And imagine a season like this one where City have walked it and the other 5 don't even need to chase a Champions League spot. Weakened teams being fielded most weeks, no interesting games to broadcast, star players not being used etc.