European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Again, can someone explain how do you think this will impact PL ? From what I read, this is purely hitting UEFA.

Yes, it's monopoly of 6 teams trying to grab huge money from outside but they aren't doing anything impacting the PL though ?
Have a think about it.

what do you think clubs will do to the pl when games are close by and the esl are paying much more? The pl is going to turn into the Scottish league

that’s if the fa don’t boot them out

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Again, can someone explain how do you think this will impact PL ? From what I read, this is purely hitting UEFA.

Yes, it's monopoly of 6 teams trying to grab huge money from outside but they aren't doing anything impacting the PL though ?
Right now Leicester can get top 4 and get into the UCL and compete financially with the bigger clubs for a bit, with this it may be impossible for them to ever do so.
6 clubs making obscene money and even if you win the PL you're not in the club.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I don't agree with the players things. I don't think they knew about this. They are probably confused as much as us about the issue and what it will mean for football.

red4ever 79

6 clubs guaranteeing themselves £300m a season for playing in a competition they will automatically qualify for? How would that not impact the Premier League?
will also impact the quality of the premier league with those selfish 6 prioritising team selections for their mid week fixtures which are more lucrative, and then resting players on the weekend as they dont need to qualify for a champions league

JohnnyKills

If this was going ahead, why appoint Fletcher and Mortaugh? Surely it doesn't matter what we do on the pitch anymore?

Smores

We've spent the last years in a top 4 race that's kept things entertaining. What would we have been competing for then and Liverpool now if we were already guaranteed European football?

It massively damages the EPL product.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
6 clubs guaranteeing themselves £300m a season for playing in a competition they will automatically qualify for? How would that not impact the Premier League?
It's not 300m a season. Its one time.payment of 300m with 100m yearly payments. Again, isn't it just like another sponsor? They are just maximizing the club's revenue potential.

The PL will stay like the same way they are doing it now. It will still be having the same broadcasting rights which guarantees the money to small clubs, isn't it ?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What will they do about referees and VAR?

Will they have their own set of crack super referees?

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
It's all bullshite. They should have gone all in with a genuine alternative to UEFA. A real european superleague, with multiple levels and everything. Replace the CL and subsume the domestic leagues
It's way harder for so many clubs to agree with this though. From my point of view the superleague is a first step to show strength in negotiations, like "we have all the power here, and the thing is for real now, so we won't take any bullshit from anyone".

Ixion

We've spent the last years in a top 4 race that's kept things entertaining. What would we have been competing for then and Liverpool now if we were already guaranteed European football?

"Well we have the game against Madrid on Wednesday but we're desperate for that 2nd place finish we don't need so we're really going to go for it against Villa." - Ole

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
United and Liverpool, and again, to a lesser degree Arsenal and Chelsea also monopolize those metrics.
That's true and subsidized the rest of the league with silly prize money like Brighton getting 100m while a signficantly more popular and watched team like Marseille doesn't get half of it. That's why I don't want to pick a side on that one, everyone is being dishonest and hypocrite, PL clubs had no issue taking money from the top 6 clubs, they are now effectively in the same place than many non PL clubs that couldn't get Skysports money. On the other end the 12 clubs are snakes because they organized the league behind everyone's back and instead of giving an opportunity for others to organize themselves and find ways to maybe mitigate the consequences the 12 blindsided everyone. If it wasn't for the football leaks, the surprise would have been even bigger.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It's not 300m a season. Its one time.payment of 300m with 100m yearly payments. Again, isn't it just like another sponsor? They are just maximizing the club's revenue potential.

The PL will stay like the same way they are doing it now. It will still be having the same broadcasting rights which guarantees the money to small clubs, isn't it ?
What would man United prefer to win? And why would they even need to try to finish high in the premier league if they’re garunteed a place in closed competition. It’s makes a mockery of competitive sport

bond19821982

Fair point but how's it destroying the other clubs? We are assuming the top teams will not take the top 4 battle seriously which may or may not be correct.

Now, isn't UEFA new proposal all about making about 6 teams in CL ? Doesn't that yield the same result? We are pretty much guaranteed top 6 anyway. So what's the difference?

The modern human, a soulless mindless automaton. Programmed to consume products brought to you by huge empty corporations who care nothing for human rights violations and only their bottom end.

You'd consume Arsenic if Amazon were fecking promoting it.
Based and worth a warning pilled.

RedRover

This is absolute nonsense.

The 6 clubs know their worth.

It's plain to see what is going on here... It's a cash grab to balance the books post pandemic for god sake.

Burnley do not have the history Manchester United do and that's a simple fact of the matter. WBA don't have the history of Arsenal or Southampton with Liverpool.

The big 6 have huge global supporter bases for a reason and people simple aren't going to pay through the nose to watch WBA vs Fulham...

Need I remind you Sky TV's recent attempt at PPV matches flopped instantly?
Hardly surprising in a pandemic, when people with Sky are already paying a fortune for their TV subscriptions.

Plenty of people in the UK and around the world watch the PL because overall it's a good product, not just because of United, City, Chelsea or the other 3. Will it be diminished without these six clubs? - yes, obviously. Does that "kill" the league as a viable concern as was suggested in the post I replied to? In my opinion, no. There are clubs outside the top six well resourced enough to still go out and buy quality players and as such, the product will continue to be viable. Rich owners will still come along and invest in what is a marketable product.

And another, obvious point, is that City were Southampton until someone pumped a load of cash in. Now there are people in China walking around in City shirts.

The idea that people will simply stop watching the PL if these clubs leave is, in my view a nonsense. There are millions of fans out there who don't support those clubs, and millions of others who just love to watch football. The quality of the league will remain high enough to attract those fans.

JSArsenal

Not that it matters, but who do you think knew about this at the clubs besides the owners?

I'm sure the Glazers didn't come up with this and didn't consult anyone. Same with Kroenke and Abramovich. Why was Lampard sacked? Nothing that happens in the league or Europe really matters because Chelsea planned to leave. Wouldn't this be less detestable to Chelsea fans if they at least had a club legend at the helm?

Will any manager speak out against this behind closed doors? I don't expect any of them to say a word in public because they'll be out on their ear quick as spit if they do.

bond19821982

Right now Leicester can get top 4 and get into the UCL and compete financially with the bigger clubs for a bit, with this it may be impossible for them to ever do so.
6 clubs making obscene money and even if you win the PL you're not in the club.
Leicester can still do it though. 6 clubs are just maximizing their revenue potential like United did with their shirt sponsorship (which by itself was a new landmark in terms of shirt sponsorship).

Ixion

Fair point but how's it destroying the other clubs? We are assuming the top teams will not take the top 4 battle seriously which may or may not be correct.

Now, isn't UEFA new proposal all about making about 6 teams in CL ? Doesn't that yield the same result? We are pretty much guaranteed top 6 anyway. So what's the difference?
I mean Arsenal are sat in 9th right now so wouldnt even make that. Yet here they are with a guranteed seat at the table. Nothing should be guranteed, it should be earned. They could finish 9th every season from now on and it wouldn't affect them. That has to be damaging for the League, your richest clubs not giving a shit.

shahzy

Your nickname says all we need to know about your bias in this situation but let me try to 'discuss'.

First, the PL is not La Liga where people care only for the two big clubs with a sprinkling with Sevilla and Atletico (not Athletico btw) Madrid (who both inevitably bottle the league to the former two in 9/10 cases).

The PL is built on equal distribution of money which allows for excitement in most games and unpredictability of the outcome each season(title, top 4, relegation). We have already seen that allowing Citeh to spend their way to a league title makes the league winner less unpredictable/exciting. Why should crap teams like Spuds and Arsenal get to benefit from big money when they've proven they're not good enough to compete with West Ham and Leicester?

Secondly, I would prefer to watch crappy little teams than these plastic big clubs owned by Yanks in a league facilitated by Yank banks (JP Morgan, please). Americans have proven time and again they have no understanding of European football in relation to its meaning to fans and communities, so I don't want them to have even an ounce more influence on European football.
All good and well but the guy you're replying to is right. Without the big clubs, the league's are dead. Money from tv rights will dry up and the league's will die. The FA's have literally no choice.

To me it seems like FIFA and UEFA are threatened at losing their own monopoly

stevoc

I have a silly question: Can the league retro-actively declare that owners of a premier league club don't pass the "Fit and Proper" test anymore and have to therefore sell the club?
It's a nice thought but i doubt it. It's too late for the PL to discover morals at this stage.