European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If I understand correctly all American sports are like this. How do they keep it interesting?
As the great Ceferin would say, the love of the game. Players are competitive, so they don't give up games, and teams are close to each others from top to bottom so unless a team is in tank mode even a game against the worst team is highly competitive and plays a role in the post season narrative, there is a point during regular season where you anticipate playoffs and wonder which teams can beat each others. To be honest it's significantly less boring than your average european league game, though it's true that the NBA and the MLB have so many games that you aren't really supposed to watch all of them but you really don't want to miss games against very good teams or teams that are in good form even if one of them isn't at the top.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Replacing the champions league with a super league is not a bad idea per se. Its' the fact you have 15 teams in it, regardless of how poor they are in their domestic league that is the huge problem. Imagine Arsenal, Spurs knocking around mid table in the premier league with nothing to play for as they're in the super league anyway. Will largely destroy the PL as a competitive spectacle.

If they did this with merit based qualification in the big leagues, the super league could be viable. No more filler games in Europe would be much better to watch.

The way this super league proposal has been gone about also looks utterly reprehensible. I expect it will go down in flames honestly with an ugly battle.

Giggs86

If Bayern and Psg stay out of it, what happens next? Does anyone really want to watch CL campaigns where the likes of Leicester and West Ham get humiliated by Bayern and Psg season after season?

Drainy

What else would they be playing in if they are not in the CL and PL?
Sorry it just didn't seem like a response to what I said.

I think we were counting on being in the Premier league and the domestic cups but obviously UEFA have other plans which seems foolish given that the world wide TV audience will likely leave with the clubs

Ixion

If nearly a third of your teams do not need to worry where they finish in the League because they'll continue to get the biggest games, sign the best players, make the most money, that is not good for the League and terrible for all the others involved.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm voting no on the poll based on the current format proposed.

I'm not 100% against a "super league" but as it as right now, it's a terrible idea.

The competition should involve clubs who are there on merit and finances. Moreover, nobody should be guaranteed a place.
Probably, they should. United, Barca, Real are by far the three biggest supported clubs in the world. More fans want to watch them than any other club, thus it is beneficial for them to be there.

However, I think that there could have been an intermediate format where some clubs are heavily favored to be there, but that more clubs will have the chance to be there. And maybe, if those clubs go to shit, remove their permanent spots.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Speak for yourself. Which you are doing.
Stop overreacting..it's a fact. I will be the first one to cancel my subscription if those teams aren't playing. Why the feck would I pay a good amount of money to watch these teams play.

90 + 5min

Let's say the ESL establishes itself away from FIFA/UEFA, what kinda football rule will they follow ? I mean for offsides, handballs etc etc.
It could be a totally different football
Because of them being away from FIFA/UEFA they can make rules however they want and do exactly whatever they want. For example say 5 players, no offsides, need to gain 10 yards for every 20 seconds. And so on. It is up to them because they will not answer to anyone but to themself. They can even change name of the game if they want. Maybe BallRoll Extreme.

One thing you can expect looking at closed leagues is national song played before games.

Stormrage101MUFC

Can't you see that your owner is partly responsible for this happening?

When you have Middle Eastern countries buying up small clubs in PSG n City and upsetting the status quo of elite football you're going to get a lot of unhappy major clubs.

Abramovich was the light the ignited the fuse. The UAE n Qatar have added the oil to the fire literally.
The oil, literally indeed :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If Bayern and Psg stay out of it, what happens next? Does anyone really want to watch CL campaigns where the likes of Leicester and West Ham get humiliated by Bayern and Psg season after season?
There is a lot more clubs on the continent than that and some of them have very wealthy owners that could see in interest in investing in CL football now that the oldies left.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I bet Wooodward is happy he moved to London after the last demonstration outside of his house.

decorativeed

The saddest thing about it for me is that after watching United for 30 years, hoping that we will one day equal and overhaul Liverpool's tally of European Cup/Champions League wins, just as we did their League titles, that dream is probably now dead. We have conceded.

Woodzy

You obviously want the best teams in it, but there would be a lot of people rooting for those teams if it did happen.

stevoc

But in all of those situations no team was ever guranteed a spot the next year regardless. Spurs and Arsenal can be laughing in 14th and 15th at Leicester and West Ham finishing top 3 knowing its for feck all and they get the games with Madrid next year. That has never been the case before. It isn't remotely fair. Their motivation once it becomes clear they're not winning the league becomes nothing. They won't even have to care about extra prize money for finishing a few places higher in the League because of the guranteed income they'll be getting to offset it.
My point is players won't just go out on a pitch and piss around and let themselves get beat. They all still have pride, they'll all still want to become 1st choice or maintain their 1st choice status.

I doubt teams involved in this Super League will not still compete. Football isn't all about the top 4 race.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

If Ceferin has any balls he cancels the current UCL and EL.

Would be ridiculous to let them play as if nothing was happening.

cyberman

If nearly a third of your teams do not need to worry where they finish in the League because they'll continue to get the biggest games, sign the best players, make the most money, that is not good for the League and terrible for all the others involved.
Why would the teams, with the best players, be shit in the league? There was a league system before the top 4 was invented.

stevoc

The Minister of digital, culture, media and sport as said that he as talked to fans about taking stakes in clubs and will be moving in that direction.
Great remove all the owners and place the clubs in fan trusts.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Teams like West Ham and Leicester and most of the PL will be in trouble if the "top 6" clubs are banned from the PL. No sponsors or TV companies are going to pay the money they currently do if the top clubs are not playing in it.

If that happens, in five years time, BBC will be showing a top of the table clash between Accrington Stanley and Wycombe Wanderers on a pay per view system of 50p per game.

galcianuk

I think at least Bayern and Dortmund are going to join the league within the next month. Once all the fallout over this has happened and it turns out that La Liga, PL and Serie A are not gonna kick their teams out, the German clubs will accept. Probably planned that way as well, as there are only two of them so they have the most risk of being ejected from their own league.

ThinkTank@Cafe

FIFA/UEFA bans ESL players from international tournament? That is what ESL owners want.

1. Players will not be risked in “worthless” international matches.
AND much more important:

2.Wall Street comes up with $10 billion package to set up a brand new World Football Championship to be held every 2 years.

The most valuable asset in 21st century is visual content. Football is the cream of the crop. It is worth hundreds of billions. Look at US sports industry market capitalisation with mere 300 million pop. Football is 4 billion pop mega market.

it is all fault of the corrupt and incompetent world football authorities who were dominated by arrogant European “royal” elite, Middle Eastern and Russian tycoons with Chinese joining the banquet lately.

They will get what they deserved, bastards. If you become a money slave, it will punish you.