European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Same. I've felt more and more disconnected from football over the years and this is the final straw for me. I just want to sit back and watch it fall apart for some reason.

The United we see today under Woodward and Glazers, just isnt the same as the club I grew up watching. I'm not talking trophies. Just the principles of Fergie used to be set in stone. They demanded respect and he brought a certain level of honour and class to the club. Now that has all been thrown out of the window.

I have now accepted that the club I love is gone, for now at least. I hope they make an example of us and hopefully it's a step towards the Glazers and Woodward fecking off and the club getting back to what we once were.
Hear hear.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Does anyone think it's realistic that Chelsea, Real, Man City, Man United and Arsenal all get booted from the Champs League/Europa?

Could they let the team's finish but just without any prize money? Would punish the owners but not the fans.
Expulsion from next season is the most likely scenario IMO. I really don’t see where there are no reprimands for what just
happened.

dinostar77

Why the hell do you keep saying that? A lot of people care.

UEFA own the rights to the pinnacle of European club competition. Most teams care very deeply about it. So profoundly that they took a stop and tried to break away from it to keep getting money, despite having absolutely no merit to being in this proposed league.

Not only that, they’ve had the temerity to convert their previous wins with UEFA, (if any, as there are 4 clubs whom never fecking won the competition before). The absolute state of their arrogance, Yet no one cares for it. I can guarantee you most football fans care. Even City fans whom apparently hate UEFA but then desperately want to win the bloody thing every season.
Yeah we do care. The european cup is massive. Some of my most memeorable european nights and worse have been the european cup finals we have won and lost.

Converting their european cups to ESL trophies is embarrassing but it Perez. Apparently last night he was quoted as saying "if the younger generation find a football match too lon to watch, we will look at making football matches shorter". He's lost touch with reality. He's up for re-election soon right? Hope madrid fans vote him out.

Ixion

Everyone should calm their tits for now, the way UEFA and the media are driving their own narrative screams of hypocrisy. They give zero fecks about the fans and it's always about the money.
You can call UEFA and the media hypocrites all you want but its not about them. I don't give a single shit about any of them and I am outraged by this bullshit, it isn't driven by some UEFA narrative at all. It is some greedy billionaires attempting to turn European Football into the NFL to become richer at the expense of everyone else. I dont care if UEFA goes bust and needs to be replaced but it cannot be replaced by some closed league to an entitled few because they happen to be rich.

Lyricist

As Mr. Burns from The Simpsons would put it:

Homer: You know, Mr. Burns, you're the richest guy I know. Way richer than Lenny.
Mr. Burns: Oh, yes. But I'd trade it all for a little more.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting interview from Perez.

He's obviously right on one point, far too much filler in the champions league and the new format is even worse.

The CL with only top league teams in it like the super League, but with Merit based qualifications is the way to go.

Ady87

I voted "YES" for the ESL because:

1. I'm sick of VAR, the lack of consistency of English referees. I'm honestly tired of being frustrated with the lack of accountability with refereeing

2. I lost interest in watching Manutd games against the likes of Granada, Burnley, Cyrstal Palace, etc. I find myself always scrolling through Instagram during these small team games. During big games against the likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea, however, I'm fully emotionally invested. And I like that feeling. So hopefully the ESL can bring back my passion for football

3. I'm sick of paying multiple telecommunications hundreds of dollars per month for sports coverage. The ESL can solve this issue by having its own network or partnering up with leading streaming companies such as Netflix, Hulu, or Disney. I do not mind for paying affordable streaming services. Currently, I'm subscribed to Netflix and Disney.

From a football fan perspective that does not reside in UK, I don't see any downside to the ESL. I notice that is a lot of talk of "English Pyramid", "Coaches jobs", "Stadium infrastructures investment", "UK tv rights", etc. Not to be insensitive, but none of those are a concern to global football fans that just want to watch the best players compete against each other in a convenient platform at bargain prices.

The stuff that excites me most about football:

1. Watching the best team which also means best players and managers competing against each other

2. Transfer market. Imagine trading Bruno Fernandes for Harry Kane. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think that is what us younger fans want to see. Shocking and exciting transfers. Changing team dynamics, etc

I think the ESL can provide an outstanding product. I will probably receive backlash for this post. But this is my geniune opinion, and I cannot wait for football to be exciting again. I want to be emotionally invested week in and week out, and that can only happen if the best players in terms of skills and branding are pitted against each other.
I suspect there are many, many millions like you that don't live on the European continent that feel the same way which is the market the ESL wants to tap in to.

I think there is plenty of concern around COVID baked in to. If COVID rumbles on, gate receipts don't matter so much if millions around the world are paying subscription services to watch the big teams.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Does anyone think it's realistic that Chelsea, Real, Man City, Man United and Arsenal all get booted from the Champs League/Europa?

Could they let the team's finish but just without any prize money? Would punish the owners but not the fans.
Just watched interview with Perez. He says that legally no chance for that.

red4ever 79

I honestly find this point of view offensive.
Realized when he started talking about paying for services that he was a bit short sighted in his views. He forgets the selfish 6 still want to be in the EPL so he would still need to sign up to Sky/BT to watch all those games, plus probably Amazon ontop if he wants to watch the mafia league

Paxi

Could you imagine how much enjoyment we as fans would have sitting around mid table in a super league with no relegation, no top 4 battle, no champions league, playing reserves in the PL at the weekend.

The fun will be gone.
Aye just meandering there and Glazers just bleeding us dry. Just doing enough to stay in the Premier League as the payments are all pretty much even anyway. Just a pointless existence. feck that.

Paxi

1. I'm sick of VAR, the lack of consistency of English referees. I'm honestly tired of being frustrated with the lack of accountability with refereeing

2. I lost interest in watching Manutd games against the likes of Granada, Burnley, Cyrstal Palace, etc. I find myself always scrolling through Instagram during these small team games. During big games against the likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea, however, I'm fully emotionally invested. And I like that feeling. So hopefully the ESL can bring back my passion for football

3. I'm sick of paying multiple telecommunications hundreds of dollars per month for sports coverage. The ESL can solve this issue by having its own network or partnering up with leading streaming companies such as Netflix, Hulu, or Disney. I do not mind for paying affordable streaming services. Currently, I'm subscribed to Netflix and Disney.

From a football fan perspective that does not reside in UK, I don't see any downside to the ESL. I notice that is a lot of talk of "English Pyramid", "Coaches jobs", "Stadium infrastructures investment", "UK tv rights", etc. Not to be insensitive, but none of those are a concern to global football fans that just want to watch the best players compete against each other in a convenient platform at bargain prices.

1. Watching the best team which also means best players and managers competing against each other

2. Transfer market. Imagine trading Bruno Fernandes for Harry Kane. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think that is what us younger fans want to see. Shocking and exciting transfers. Changing team dynamics, etc

I think the ESL can provide an outstanding product. I will probably receive backlash for this post. But this is my geniune opinion, and I cannot wait for football to be exciting again. I want to be emotionally invested week in and week out, and that can only happen if the best players in terms of skills and branding are pitted against each other.
Yes it does sound ridiculous. Stop bastardising football just because you have an attention span of a fecking crab.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
Viewing figures for games involving the likes of us, Barcelona, Madrid etc are always higher than those involving teams like Leipzig or Napoli. The hype around us v Milan in a damp squib round of 16 game was amongst the biggest the EL has ever had. That's what it comes down to. The CL has become too big and diluted.

I'm not sure why Spurs are being allowed in to this.
They just happen to be considered part of the 'Big 6' at this point in time. Big brand and a fancy new stadium. It's nothing to do with history or sporting merit, and they're really barely even pretending it is.

dinostar77

Expulsion from next season is the most likely scenario IMO. I really don’t see where there are no reprimands for what just
happened.
We will know by Friday according to UEFA vice chairman. Theres a emergency meeting at UEFA to see what they can legally do. The boss (sont know his name) wants the clubs expelled this season.

Personally UEFA, PL should with hold all prize money for the 5 english clubs. Dock them each 30 points this season. Then add in a points deduction for every game they play in the ESL next season onwards. 3 PL points docked per game played. Will certainly make the PL more interesting.

Tbh, my rage, anger and fury at Utd at the moment is annoying me. I keep telling myself its just football, but I've followed Utd for over 40 years. Im genuinely heartbroken by the direction the owners are taking the club.

We are Manchester United, we are supposed to be the bellwether by which all other english clubs follow. Instead we're lost in a sea of fog blindly heading for an iceberg with a captain who has lost all perspective.

red4ever 79

Aye just meandering there and Glazers just bleeding us dry. Just doing enough to stay in the Premier League as the payments are all pretty much even anyway. Just a pointless existence. feck that.
Our EPL team on a weekend for a league that means nothing going forwards

Grant
Williams Jones Tuanzebe Dalot
Garner McTom Perriera
Linz Martial James

Godfather

I can see both sides of the argument. This Super league stinks of greed. But I can also see the points others made that UEFA and FIFA are corrupt bastards too.

So I'll reserve judgment until we see how all of this pans out.

dinostar77

Words fail me. Go back to playing fifa you child.

Lyricist

Can't the fan groups of each of the founding father clubs create a petition together or something like that? :lol:

Surely it'd be simple to get millions of people to sign that.

Paxi

I go back and forth.

The fact that Uefa could not even uphold City's ban makes me think it is unlikely at this point.
It does higher than UEFA now. It’s at the very highest levels of local government now and I’d be stunned if they didn’t do everything in their power to prevent this from happening. People can hate Tories but even they know that ripping out football root and stem from this country and the blowback would be absolutely brutal. I have confidence in their self-preservation.

MattofManchester

Interestingly enough, the PL would be more interesting without these clubs. Should Manchester united press on with this charade then I'll
Master League.

I'm of the opinion you may have a very low attention span.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Almost had me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This meeting should be fun. How on hell do you tell the likes of Leicester, West Ham and Everton, that this makes sense?

Ixion

One thing that really disappoints me is how proud I would have been had United been the one English side to say not to this. It would have been the United I've followed all my life, doing the right thing for the fans. I am jealous that Bayern have a team willing to do the right thing and we're not only just involved in this but leading it. All to make the Glazers richer.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I can see both sides of the argument. This Super league stinks of greed. But I can also see the points others made that UEFA and FIFA are corrupt bastards too.

UEFA and FIFA are as bent as a nine bob note but that's not enough reason to chuck out the whole structure of the game.

:lol:

That poster is the type of fan the ESL is targeting.
I've just thought, this venture is an attempt to change the whole sport to cater to those people who I had otherwise assumed only exist in chatboxes next to dodgy streams. :(

Paxi

We will know by Friday according to UEFA vice chairman. Theres a emergency meeting at UEFA to see what they can legally do. The boss (sont know his name) wants the clubs expelled this season.

Personally UEFA, PL should with hold all prize money for the 5 english clubs. Dock them each 30 points this season. Then add in a points deduction for every game they play in the ESL next season onwards. 3 PL points docked per game played. Will certainly make the PL more interesting.

Tbh, my rage, anger and fury at Utd at the moment is annoying me. I keep telling myself its just football, but I've followed Utd for over 40 years. Im genuinely heartbroken by the direction the owners are taking the club.

We are Manchester United, we are supposed to be the bellwether by which all other english clubs follow. Instead we're lost in a sea of fog blindly heading for an iceberg with a captain who has lost all perspective.
I’m raging too. I’ve been a fan for 20 years and I’m incredibly anxious about losing one the most beloved things I hold so dear.

Resch

Smaller teams had a chance to qualify to CL. Leicester and West Ham have a chance to qualify to CL this season. Big teams could miss on CL. United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool all failed to qualify to CL several times before.
Smaller market teams play in smaller market leagues. They have to qualify for the CL even as champion. And big leagues and clubs are pushing for more. 19 out of 32 came frome the 5 Top leages. 8 nations had 1 team in the competition, England, Spain, Germany and Italy had 4 teams (16 out of 32), Russia and France 3 teams each and Ukraine 2 teams. So the big markets earn most of the money and the gap grows. Now 12 big teams try to build a wall of money to protect their status, thats nothing new. The only difference is, they do not want to share the money with the UEFA.

mancan92

Interesting interview from Perez.

He's obviously right on one point, far too much filler in the champions league and the new format is even worse.

The CL with only top league teams in it like the super League, but with Merit based qualifications is the way to go.
Agreed except 90% of his statement is about money and how the pandemic has affected them.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

No one is saying that Uefa or Fifa are angels. But this is bigger than everything. We all agree that the CL has become a bit of an issue, but that is not really the point here. It is also not the reason why so many top clubs have severe financial problems or that the owner want to squeeze more money out of their "investment"

Godfather

Could you imagine how much enjoyment we as fans would have sitting around mid table in a super league with no relegation, no top 4 battle, no champions league, playing reserves in the PL at the weekend.

The fun will be gone.
You think Ole would play the reserves in the PL?

Emotions are running high and all that and I can understand many of the arguments contra the ESL. But that's not going to happen. I'm sure our manager will try and win every competition he is in