European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I voted "YES" for the ESL because:

1. I'm sick of VAR, the lack of consistency of English referees. I'm honestly tired of being frustrated with the lack of accountability with refereeing

2. I lost interest in watching Manutd games against the likes of Granada, Burnley, Cyrstal Palace, etc. I find myself always scrolling through Instagram during these small team games. During big games against the likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea, however, I'm fully emotionally invested. And I like that feeling. So hopefully the ESL can bring back my passion for football

3. I'm sick of paying multiple telecommunications hundreds of dollars per month for sports coverage. The ESL can solve this issue by having its own network or partnering up with leading streaming companies such as Netflix, Hulu, or Disney. I do not mind for paying affordable streaming services. Currently, I'm subscribed to Netflix and Disney.

From a football fan perspective that does not reside in UK, I don't see any downside to the ESL. I notice that is a lot of talk of "English Pyramid", "Coaches jobs", "Stadium infrastructures investment", "UK tv rights", etc. Not to be insensitive, but none of those are a concern to global football fans that just want to watch the best players compete against each other in a convenient platform at bargain prices.

The stuff that excites me most about football:

1. Watching the best team which also means best players and managers competing against each other

2. Transfer market. Imagine trading Bruno Fernandes for Harry Kane. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think that is what us younger fans want to see. Shocking and exciting transfers. Changing team dynamics, etc

I think the ESL can provide an outstanding product. I will probably receive backlash for this post. But this is my geniune opinion, and I cannot wait for football to be exciting again. I want to be emotionally invested week in and week out, and that can only happen if the best players in terms of skills and branding are pitted against each other.
Always new Perez was lurking on this board somewhere.

Hate to tell you mate - if you only like the good bits, you're not a fan :)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Won't be able to relax properly until United as a club is formerly out. City is out. Chelsea soon to be out. Barcelona will hold it to a vote. Hopefully the momentum keeps up. It needs to die asap.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Yes:
Fence sitting:
If the mods actually feel like they need to do anything about someone expressing a different opinion I will have no problem leaving the caf.

el3mel

Crap if true. We need one more big club at least otherwise they'll replace City with someone else. Hopefully just shit news and nothing else.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What's the big deal in supporting a new idea ? Arent even allowed to have a different opinion ?
I would have strongly supported ESL if there was a merit based entry to the league. I had no issues in revenues being split among the top 12 teams because they bring the audience. That was the reason why I wanted to wait for more information. Just to see if they would change the plan to bring in teams based on merit.

I dont care about Uefa. I only care about EPL and Manchester united. Take it however way you want !

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I did think it was interesting that Glazer made a statement on Woodward but mentioned nothing of the ESL...

Ixion

Needs United, Barca, Real, Liverpool or Juve to drop out to really put the nail in the coffin.

UncleBob

What a bunch of fecking incompetent morons, shocking that they pull some stunt like this and it all collapses within days

wormdoktor

Just imagine a world where the CL is altered... not for financial reasons, but for reasons of increasing its exclusivity. It goes back to how it was when I were a lad, with only the league winners qualifying, and it's a straight knock out comp. And qualifying is not a god-given right for the elite, but is something really special, to be savoured. I understand market forces make this an impossibility, but does anybody else think this is the way we should be going?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
My idea is more about a fan trust through which fans buy the shares and it then represents them on the board. If you have 20%, you get a board seat on a public ompany.
So a fan trust can be set up and the trust can buy the shares but with 20% have no power. These people are not wet behind the ears and will ensure they will have control.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Yes:
Fence sitting:

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Yes:
Fence sitting:
Waiting to know the full details is not fence sitting - it's not diving in without having all the facts. The amount of tripe spouted by the "against" was unbelievable

Drifter

American
Yes:
Fence sitting:
They can all get together and have a Super League competition on the XBox or PS5

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
So a fan trust can be set up and the trust can buy the shares but with 20% have no power. These people are not wet behind the ears and will ensure they will have control.
20% would be the minimum. At least they won't be able to make moves like these without the fans knowing.

You can also consider different classes of shares where owners have a big percentage for profit reasons but on key strategic decisions, the fans' Class of shares have voting rights 100x voting power.

SuperiorXI

It's absolutely dead now, these reports are just an attempt to keep the hype going for a bit. City pulling out is a major nail in the coffin. Woodward gone as well.

crossy1686

career ending
Waiting to know the full details is not fence sitting - it's not diving in without having all the facts. The amount of tripe spouted by the "against" was unbelievable
According to the Caf if you didn't decide this was the worst thing ever in the first 10 minutes of hearing about it then you wanted it to happen

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
People naming and shaming, maybe you should all get together and organise a game of polo from your fecking high horses..