European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lysglimt

Scout
Ceferin claiming punishment will come in 3 levels - English clubs getting off easiest, then Atletico, Inter and Milan - and the worst punishment to Real, Juve and Barca

But we all know Real and Barca will never get any serious punishment anyway

HTG

Supports
Bayern
What's weird is that that source (Zeitung) is very reliable, yet they're somehow the only ones mentioning the Saudi's. Nobody else seems to report it...
Zeitung is not the source. Zeitung literally means newspaper. I think you’re meaning Süddeutsche Zeitung. In that case you can just use the abbreviation SZ. Or just say Süddeutsche.

And yeah, they are usually as reliable as it gets.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Zeitung is not the source. Zeitung literally means newspaper. I think you’re meaning Süddeutsche Zeitung. In that case you can just use the abbreviation SZ. Or just say Süddeutsche.

And yeah, they are usually as reliable as it gets.
Thanks, I meant SZ indeed. But the story hasn't gotten real traction at all.

Sweet Square

Funny how the people who complained about a super league becoming boring are now complaining about todays match against Leeds.

stevoc

What's weird is that that source (Zeitung) is very reliable, yet they're somehow the only ones mentioning the Saudi's. Nobody else seems to report it...
Saudi involvement would make sense when you consider PSG's and Bayern's reluctance to join considering their respective links to Qatar. Among other reasons of course.

RoyH1

Ceferin claiming punishment will come in 3 levels - English clubs getting off easiest, then Atletico, Inter and Milan - and the worst punishment to Real, Juve and Barca

But we all know Real and Barca will never get any serious punishment anyway
Not sure. Ceferin is absolutely furious at those 3 and wants to bury the idea forever. The question is, can he? Let’s say he gives the 3 a one year ban on participating in the CL, would that stand up to legal challenge in the arbitration court for sports (can’t remember the name)

louvega

Not sure. Ceferin is absolutely furious at those 3 and wants to bury the idea forever. The question is, can he? Let’s say he gives the 3 a one year ban on participating in the CL, would that stand up to legal challenge in the arbitration court for sports (can’t remember the name)
Clubs need uefa license to participate in european competitions. This license has to be renewed each season by uefa. Uefa wont renew those licenses arguing being in superleague clashes with the license requirements.

George the Cat

Anyone see in the Observer fans views for each Premier league club, Villa and Everton fans want all 6 clubs relegated. If they did that the super league would be back on. You could say historically Villa and Everton were big 6 clubs at certain times so no bitterness there.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I would like them not to participate in the Champions League next year.
They have taken risks and it has gone wrong, so now they must be brave and accept the consequences.
In addition, participating as if nothing happened, without negotiating their conditions / model ,would be to accept a competition that they do not consider fair, which is not logical either.
I'd rather be poor as a rat and give up Mbappe and any signings before they abandon

louvega

I would like them not to participate in the Champions League next year.
They have taken risks and it has gone wrong, so now they must be brave and accept the consequences.
In addition, participating as if nothing happened, without negotiating their conditions / model ,would be to accept a competition that they do not consider fair, which is not logical either.
I'd rather be poor as a rat and give up Mbappe and any signings before they abandon
Madrid and Barcelona cant afford to lose champions league income, they wont survive

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
There’s only 3 clubs left right!? This is mad...what is the end goal here!?
I guess sitting down to negotiate. The conditions of the current Champions League or how to play both competitions simultaneously

Infra-red

There’s only 3 clubs left right!? This is mad...what is the end goal here!?
The "Super League" is barely even worthy of preseason friendly status at this point. Even the Emirates Cup has more clubs/prestige than this. Madrid (and Perez) are absolutely off their rockers if they think that this is going anywhere now - time to consign the whole sorry affair to the dustbin of history.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It's crazy really. With only three clubs left in its hard to imagine there's any real bargaining power.
From what I have read (source: twitter) they consider that if they go to the courts of the European Union they will win. Apparently something similar happened with the skating federation, although for times they can surely be sanctioned before any resolution

TheReligion

Abusive
From what I have read (source: twitter) they consider that if they go to the courts of the European Union they will win. Apparently something similar happened with the skating federation, although for times they can surely be sanctioned before any resolution
That's interesting. What is it they want to achieve though in the longer term do you think?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
That's interesting. What is it they want to achieve though in the longer term do you think?
Strict financial fair play. Possibility of retransmission on other platforms and ultimately the super league system, even including relegation.
Infantino is not so open to sanctioning clubs so maybe there we have an ally, but the truth is I don't know. It seems impossible that they did not know that this type of reaction was going happen.

90 + 5min

Why don't those 3 clubs just leave football leagues and start new league where they can play between eachother every day until the end of time?

It is okey.

UEFA and FIFA needs to act strongly against this. Those 3 teams are not representing whole football world. Just because they have economic problems, selfinflicted, doesn't mean they can do whatever they want. Nobody pressured them buying and giving astronomical wages to players.

90 + 5min

Strict financial fair play. Possibility of retransmission on other platforms and ultimately the super league system, even including relegation.
Infantino is not so open to sanctioning clubs so maybe there we have an ally, but the truth is I don't know. It seems impossible that they did not know that this type of reaction was going happen.
Because you are Real Madrid fan, I have a question.

You said, strict financial fair play. I agree there need to be economic system in place. Like wage limit and so on. I just wonder, if we are talking about fair play and equality, do Barcelona and Real Madrid want to think about fair play when it comes to TV rights in spanish league?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Because you are Real Madrid fan, I have a question.

You said, strict financial fair play. I agree there need to be economic system in place. Like wage limit and so on. I just wonder, if we are talking about fair play and equality, do Barcelona and Real Madrid want to think about fair play when it comes to TV rights in spanish league?
To be honest I'm not sure about the conditions of the tv rights share. I think is already based on league rankings among other things, but in any case, I think the problem is that the contract itself is low.
Besides, as has been said several times, the fans in Spain are different. I support Madrid, not la liga product.
We can bring equality, let´s pay according to the audience, proportionally.
For example, Levante-Cádiz had an audience in Spain of 75,000 viewers (and surely minimal outside of Spain).
When the super league appeared, some of those clubs came with a shirt saying "win it on the field" and some thought that the response from the big clubs should be "don't take advantage of what I generate."
Who has to sign stars and accumulate debt for 900 million are Madrid and Barcelona.
It could be improved, but I think that with having a couple of more dedicated foreign owners we would be fine.(Peter Lim for example or the owner of Espanyol, now in segunda)