European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Purley King

When was the last time Juve were relegated due to not getting enough points?
This could be the second time in recent memory they have done it for other reasons............

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
My first comment here on this joke.

The Spanish and Italian clubs, badly managed and with serious financial crises, in leagues that they destroyed themselves decide to invest in a kamikaze tactic that only demonstrates the level of amateurism that reigns in the world of football.

A ridiculous plan that was a clear attack on the Premier League.
And here it is exposed another ridiculous that is to have some of the biggest clubs of the Premier League in the hands of Americans who do not understand anything of this sport and that they don't care about their clubs, they are only there to withdraw money and saw in it an opportunity to withdraw something more, a little faster without fearing further consequences for their clubs.

And Real Madrid is and will be the most hated club in and out of Spain because their entire history is based on these antics.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Some interesting discussion in the recent posts.

Carvajal If he/she is an accurate reflection of the fan base in Spain, it would suggest that the football system in Spain is broken, In England whilst our biggest clubs will have bigger amounts of supporters, they not so much that we all consider our League structure as boring, or not worth competing in. Ultimately the vast majority of football supporters in this country whether they are a Manchester United fan or Halifax town fan support and enjoy the current structure of the game. This will be a big reason why the EPL clubs backed out of the ESL first. The hatred of ESL united fanbases around the country.

I also agree on the recent comments regarding FFP, ultimately its only actually fair if its a hard cap, but at the same time we never going to see the biggest clubs agree to that, because they have such an advantage in spending power. I remember in our championship promotion season, someone posted a league table showing profit/loss with biggest losses at top and biggest profits at bottom, about 90% of the division was losing money, and it almost mirrored the actual league table at the time.

The fix for the Spanish giant's financial problems and for their broken game, is to sort out their revenue split in La Liga so it becomes a more competitive league, that in turn means more games will be a sellout, as well on top of that cut back on expenditure even if it means been less competitive for a number of seasons. The rest of the world can see it, Barcelona and Real Madrid have no divine right to constantly be at the top of the pyramid winning things because they buying up all the superstars, and then complaining when they cannot pay those superstars.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Some interesting discussion in the recent posts.

Carvajal If he/she is an accurate reflection of the fan base in Spain, it would suggest that the football system in Spain is broken, In England whilst our biggest clubs will have bigger amounts of supporters, they not so much that we all consider our League structure as boring, or not worth competing in. Ultimately the vast majority of football supporters in this country whether they are a Manchester United fan or Halifax town fan support and enjoy the current structure of the game. This will be a big reason why the EPL clubs backed out of the ESL first. The hatred of ESL united fanbases around the country.

I also agree on the recent comments regarding FFP, ultimately its only actually fair if its a hard cap, but at the same time we never going to see the biggest clubs agree to that, because they have such an advantage in spending power. I remember in our championship promotion season, someone posted a league table showing profit/loss with biggest losses at top and biggest profits at bottom, about 90% of the division was losing money, and it almost mirrored the actual league table at the time.

The fix for the Spanish giant's financial problems and for their broken game, is to sort out their revenue split in La Liga so it becomes a more more competitive league, that in turn means more games will be a sellout, as well on top of that cut back on expenditure even if it means been less competitive for a number of seasons. The rest of the world can see it, Barcelona and Real Madrid have no divine right to constantly be at the top of the pyramid winning things because they buying up all the superstars, and then complaining when they cannot pay those superstars.
Well said

Rojow

You cannot be expelled from the UCL if you do not qualify.

Genius Agnelli.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
:lol: :lol: :lol: £100, I'll make you that genuine bet today that by the end of the 2024 season, if you haven't watched 2 full games of super league the money is all yours. Put your money where you mouth is. I'll book mark the post and follow all your posts from this point on if you agree
Sorry for not answering, but guess it doesn't matter now, since the fans won this battle.. but i fear that this "war" is far from over, so if it does happen anyway, id take that bet anyway. I will never watch a single super league game, ever.

Hulksmash

There are some rumours in Spain that they are reworking the Super League. Sportic merit is the focus and apparently it will have more Teams. English Teams will be lured by giving them a much higher Starting spots

diarm

https://www.juventus.com/en/news/articles/statement-from-barcelona-juve-real-26-05

BARCELONA, JUVENTUS AND REAL MADRID REMAIN COMMITTED TO MODERNIZING FOOTBALL THROUGH AN OPEN DIALOGUE WITH UEFA

FC Barcelona, Juventus FC and Real Madrid CF wish to express their absolute rejection of the insistent coercion that UEFA has been maintaining towards three of the most relevant institutions in the history of football. This alarming attitude constitutes a flagrant breach of the decision of the courts of justice, which have already made a clear statement warning UEFA to refrain from taking any action that could penalise the founding clubs of the Super League while the legal proceedings are ongoing.

Therefore, the opening of disciplinary proceedings by UEFA is incomprehensible and is a direct attack against the rule of law that we, the citizens of the European Union, have democratically built up, while constituting a lack of respect toward the authority of the courts of justice themselves.

From the beginning, the Super League has been promoted with the aim of improving the situation of European football, through permanent dialogue with UEFA and with the objective to increase the interest in the sport and to offer fans the best possible show. This objective has to be achieved in a framework of sustainability and solidarity, especially in a precarious economic situation such as the one many clubs in Europe are currently experiencing.

Instead of exploring ways of modernizing football through open dialogue, UEFA expects us to withdraw the ongoing court proceedings that question their monopoly over European football. Barcelona, Juventus and Real Madrid, all of them more than a century old, will not accept any form of coercion or intolerable pressure, while they remain strong in their willingness to debate, respectfully and through dialogue, the urgent solutions that football currently needs.

Either we reform football or we will have to watch its inevitable downfall.

diarm

I cannot fathom that these clubs fans are not out in the streets.

These clubs are a shame for football. I hope they get banned and worse. Disgusting attitude. "Saving football" my ass. Saving themselves from their selfmade crisis is what.
Supporters of those 3 clubs have supported their club in exploiting and mistreating the other clubs in their own leagues for years. Why would this be any different?

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
The last 15 European finals between Spanish V English clubs Spanish have won all.

Will ended today, but crazy stat.

MU655

The last 15 European finals between Spanish V English clubs Spanish have won all.

Will ended today, but crazy stat.
4 Champions Leagues (Barcelona v Manutd x2, Real Madrid v Liverpool, Barcelona v Arsenal) - The last time before that was 1980/81 when Liverpool beat Real Madrid.

3 Europa League (Sevilla v Liverpool, A Madrid v Fulham, Sevilla v Middlesbrough) - Liverpool beat Alaves in 2000/01

I only count seven between the last English win. Not sure whether I'm missing something.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
4 Champions Leagues (Barcelona v Manutd x2, Real Madrid v Liverpool, Barcelona v Arsenal) - The last time before that was 1980/81 when Liverpool beat Real Madrid.

3 Europa League (Sevilla v Liverpool, A Madrid v Fulham, Sevilla v Middlesbrough) - Liverpool beat Alaves in 2000/01

I only count seven between the last English win. Not sure whether I'm missing something.
No your correct just checked that also as I found this stat online, maybe they included UEFA Super cup or some other European cups which don’t exist right now.

::sonny::

Good luck believing in joel glazer

the truth is they are all still working on superleague off the radar

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
I really don't understand the legal argument here. AFAIK FIFA and UEFA are private associations that can pretty much set any rules for admission and/or access to the tournaments they organize, as long as they're not arbitrary nor related to race, religion etc. Forming a separate tournament that directly compete with FIFA/UEFA's doesn't qualify as an exception. For instance, I can't sign a new work contract without infringing the one I actually have. Or is the argument different?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I really don't understand the legal argument here. AFAIK FIFA and UEFA are private associations that can pretty much set any rules for admission and/or access to the tournaments they organize, as long as they're not arbitrary nor related to race, religion etc. Forming a separate tournament that directly compete with FIFA/UEFA's doesn't qualify as an exception. For instance, I can't sign a new work contract without infringing the one I actually have. Or is the argument different?
I see it as Real, Barca and Juve desperately scrambling for a legal barrier to stop them from being banned.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
The argument will be based on anti-trust considerations. UEFA rules are clearly designed to affirm their position as the sole football governing body in Europe and protect them and their "products" (e.g. the Champions League) from competition, which may or may not be enough to violate anti-trust laws. UEFA also threatened players from these clubs with expulsion from the world cup and there is an interesting recent precedent in ice skating in a somewhat similar situation, where courts ruled against sanctions of athletes who wanted to participate in a tournament that was not authorized by the leading government body in the sport. However, in this case there is still an appeal going and the ruling was also based on circumstances that may not apply to UEFA. The ruling may or may not apply to this situation, but clearly shows that governing bodies cannot just make up any rule they want.

There are far more restrictions to what private associations can do than people think. And any anti-trust considerations in a case like this will be highly complex and any ruling will be fairly novel as sports governing bodies are not challenged every day. I am a bit surprised that so many people here have strong opinions on such complex legal issues that few (nobody?) here will have any experience with.

youmeletsfly

You can work in two places in the same time as long as they're not in direct competition and you're not passing the legal weekly amount of work hours.
It's not the same when we speak about companies though.

If Fifa/Uefa have some kind of an exclusivity clause, the ESL clubs can forge a new competition only after leaving all the Fifa/Uefa ones (including local championships - main source of the issue).

If Fifa/Uefa doesn't have any kind of an exclusivity clause, the ESL clubs can forge a new competition whenever they fecking want, as Uefa/Fifa are an association not a legal institution. So, all participants, are not bound by law to take part in their competitions.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
They'll almost certainly win the ECJ case.

I doubt league will fly anyway though.

Once the new CL format is in and if / when financial situation gets really bad we might see some similar ideas again.

I really doubt it. Banning them will just give them the impetus to do their own thing for a season, maybe a league involving them, and the best South American teams.

UEFA are spineless, I doubt any punishment they get will be much worse then what the English clubs received.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
hey guys wanna ask the british fans here that rioted against Super League!

How come you see the SL as attack to your domestic competition? Thats I don't understand at all!
As they said nationals league will stand as core of eu football so Premier League will be untouched like Serie A or la Liga.

The ESL is meant to replace Champions League nothing more nothing less.
With core objective to get a bigger share of the cake. If UEFA gets 100 from sponsors but gives back to clubs only 30 that's the lying problem that lead spanish and italian clubs to unite in it.
Same goes for english clubs.
It's not like Premier League or Super League.
I think you guys got mistaken by the similiar name and many thought it was meant to replace your domestic league XD
So I'm honestly asking why against?
I mean we don't know the format but I agree I wouldn't like a NBA style CL only on invite.
They should have ups and down to make it more interesting.
There are many ways to make it better than CL.
Instead CL new format they just passed to start in 2024 it's even worse than current format.
Anyway italians and spanish clubs are in economic disaster thanks to pandemy and mismanagement so they really can't go on.
Luckly for you guys EPL get 7billions/year meanwhile Liga get 2b and Serie A even less.
So unlike you we can't really philosophize about it or not.
It's do or die

Hulksmash

hey guys wanna ask the british fans here that rioted against Super League!

How come you see the SL as attack to your domestic competition? Thats I don't understand at all!
As they said nationals league will stand as core of eu football so Premier League will be untouched like Serie A or la Liga.

The ESL is meant to replace Champions League nothing more nothing less.
With core objective to get a bigger share of the cake. If UEFA gets 100 from sponsors but gives back to clubs only 30 that's the lying problem that lead spanish and italian clubs to unite in it.
Same goes for english clubs.
It's not like Premier League or Super League.
I think you guys got mistaken by the similiar name and many thought it was meant to replace your domestic league XD
So I'm honestly asking why against?
I mean we don't know the format but I agree I wouldn't like a NBA style CL only on invite.
They should have ups and down to make it more interesting.
There are many ways to make it better than CL.
Instead CL new format they just passed to start in 2024 it's even worse than current format.
Anyway italians and spanish clubs are in economic disaster thanks to pandemy and mismanagement so they really can't go on.
Luckly for you guys EPL get 7billions/year meanwhile Liga get 2b and Serie A even less.
So unlike you we can't really philosophize about it or not.
It's do or die
This league doesn't make sense , no Relegation and the same teams over and over again. It literally kills the domestic league. What's the point finishing in the top 4 when it doesn't matter anymore ?

Also there was corrupt things in the league like salary Cap based on Revenue. Like everyone knows that Barca and Real have the highest Revenue , so it was a protection against PSG City. The big clubs just wanted the money and leave all small clubs in the bin

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Suspending the proceedings is ridiculous. This is only going to give those 3 clubs even more of an impetus to push their agenda. I guess UEFA don't want to distract from the Euros, so hopefully, we see them proceed after the tournament's over.

pramodkumarca

Supports
realmadrid
If my family and my friend family want to play football in my back yard do I need to take UEFA permission .
Unless you are in some country where you need permission to piss also

pramodkumarca

Supports
realmadrid
Also to sum up the 9 clubs, I mean brave 9 clubs punished where remain three cannot be punished ..

RoyH1

UEFA knows perfectly well that if this ends up in European courts, there is no telling what it could end up with.
The best bet for them is to let the national federations punish internally and feck the 3 rebels over by allowing the state owned clubs to have unlimited spending.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
UEFA knows perfectly well that if this ends up in European courts, there is no telling what it could end up with.
The best bet for them is to let the national federations punish internally and feck the 3 rebels over by allowing the state owned clubs to have unlimited spending.
I also thought about domestic punishment, but if they can't punish them in one way, can they in the other?