European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pixel

Why are so many people dumping on Arsenal? We've won like 4 FA cups in 7 years and been to a Europa League final. We're hardly San Marino.

What's the cut off point and criteria? IF it's the last 5 years and based on footballing performance like some are arguing then I can't tell you how United got an invite. If it's baed on factors outside of the pitch like club size, fan support and all the rest of it, then you can't really question our inclusion.
Chill mate. Arsenal is ok. What everyone really wants to know is how the feck did spurs get in.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I haven't said we will invest more. If you put down this insistence on fighting anything that doesn't immediately and simply agree with you then you can see I've said we will continue to be invested in, not as much as we know we should. We did spend 80 million quid on a defender. That's not pitiful investment. We won't just be tossed aside and see zero is my point. We will still sign players, we will pay pretty jig ages and we will probably pay some pretty hefty transfer fees.

For the last time. No, probably not as much as we should do, I'm not fighting you on that. I just think it's over dramatic to suggest we'll essentially be left to rot.
Not us, the sport. And that is my point.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Bayern declined the invitation.
Isn't there a rule in German football that the fans own 51% of the club so their owners can't make any decisions like this on their own? I remember the owner of Wolfsburg I believe did some fishy stuff and all 17 fanbases where chanting that he needed to die and all type of bad stuff and the league made him step down. Could be that I remember it wrong but TLDR the Germans got their values straight when it comes to football.

diarm

I really wonder how other clubs perceive this. What are Leicester thinking? Wolves? Everton? Leeds?

What are Napoli & Roma thinking?
What are Sevilla thinking?
Probably about whether or not they can scream at a referee until it goes away.

Jezpeza

I’m genuinely baffled that there are people defending this idea or trying to portray it as a positive move. This is driven purely by corporate greed and cements the complete commodification of football. There’s not a single aspect of it that makes sense outside of the money and it will cause a massive rift within the sport.

It’s a league that you can’t be relegated from for fecks sake, how does that make sense?

Arsenal are 9th in the Premier League and haven’t even been in the Champions League for nearly 5 years. Yet they’re guaranteed to be in this new league every single season despite the fact that they’ll get dicked on repeatedly. Does anyone really enjoy San Marino being in the Euros qualifiers? Because that’s what Arsenal will be without ever having the threat of being relegated as a result.

And that’s just one minor part of the impracticalities of the format. The ethos behind it is fundamental issue; relentless greed. Do people really think if the clubs are willing to do this so brazenly that’ll be the end of it?
its a shit idea. Its not even cut and run that any of the 6 english teams will always get in the champions league. All of them bar city have failed in recent times. You have to earn the right, and if leicester or west ham beat you to it thats the beauty of it. Its like a big two fingers up to the spirit of football and professional competition from entitled owners.

A quarter final with real madrid has to be earned with away ties in cold scandinavia or navigating(or not) a really difficult group draw with PSG andnRBL etc. Its part of a competition. Whats the point of playing them twice a year in this super league as a permanent fixture? Meaningless

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Exactly, and this is why the Premier League (hopefully) really will kick the teams out. It'd be completely unfair on the Fulhams and Newcastles trying to stay in the league, one plays against a full strength City and the other plays United's kids. Destroys the spirit of the competition. It'll be better for the league long term to kick them out.
The remaining clubs may well get extra/new fans too.

caid

Why are so many people dumping on Arsenal? We've won like 4 FA cups in 7 years and been to a Europa League final. We're hardly San Marino.

What's the cut off point and criteria? IF it's the last 5 years and based on footballing performance like some are arguing then I can't tell you how United got an invite. If it's baed on factors outside of the pitch like club size, fan support and all the rest of it, then you can't really question our inclusion.
Because you have no business being involved in an elite european competition. As your league form shows. Why should they get a guaranteed place rather than objectively better teams like Leicester, West Ham or Everton

Seto007

the overreaction by Twitter and football purists would've reacted the same when the Premier League was formed (with cheerleaders) but nobody now thinks that was a bad idea!? So maybe just maybe people should give it a chance.. the same people moaning about it and saying they will stop supporting the club will STILL watch it guaranteed! Hypocrites!

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Because you have no business being involved in an elite european competition. As your league form shows. Why should they get a guaranteed place rather than objectively better teams like Leicester, West Ham or Everton
Disagree. This is based on how big they are. If anything, City is the odd man out of all those clubs. City and Spurs.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It's obviously not about footballing ability. Arsenal are a bigger team than the ones you mention.

Jezpeza

Better than the 1 super team league we have today?
Id love to see the City apologists in the media who attack this get called out on it. If 6 Citys is terrible for the league then 1 is as well
i agree. Its a farce. State owned football clubs. I couldnt believe that psg and city got to ignore ffp, then have their bans overturned and pay a tiny fine. Kills the game.

at the same time you have solvent clubs albeit with ‘debts’ propped up by owners cash in the football league placed under embargos, docked points and relegated for breaking ffp rules.

Neo_Mufc

Regarding Gary's passionate speech can we really block the clubs money?

The tv money from Sky essentially funds the league. You take that money away the premier league will receive a lot less due to to the amount of people using sky et al and I assume Sky also lose money from their sponsors etc.

Fox outside the box

Yup.

With no need for European qualification if we have a bad first 10 games in the league then our domestic season is essentially over in September...leaving you with 28 dead rubbers because every spot from 2nd - 17th means essentially the same, outside of varying prize money for the owners.

Same goes for all the Super League clubs.
I'd expect the people actual playing feel differently if I'm honest. Mason would still want to winning games, scoring goals and playing at a level that sees him revered by fans.

Why do you think anyone supports anyone that isn't a big 6 club? Do you not think players kfr other clubs out a shift in even though they know full well they won't win anything at all. Do Birmingham City fans love their club because there's a chance they will win a Premier league? And the players, have they never played well despite not having a league title as a possibility? Or qualifying for Europe even?

This actually seems pretty disrespectful to players. I've seen people just assume they don't give a shit outside of a league win. In reality that's fans projecting their own feelings onto other people.

I fully expect that people who go to the ground will continue to do so. Just like Arsenal fans would still be going now if stadiums we allowed to be full, despite their absolute shambolic season, yethey would still turn up and then moan on aftv about the situation. Their players are still trying to win games, so do most other players of other clubs who have no hope of even qualifying for the Europa.

Greenwood will be absolutely buzzing tonight and it won't be because of much more than he played a match of football, played well and scored. He won't only be happy because top 4 is getting more likely or we've now got a shout at catching City.

nme_pro

Fresh from newbieville
Taking the top four argument in isolation, it's only been a thing for about 15 years, before that it was top 3 and before that just the winner. The PL can rectify this by adding a financial incentive (on top of the existing one which will be tricky if the numbers are true)

Sky sports loved talking about the big four, then the top 6. It's been invented and reinvented by sky for years.

The harder part is where the top 3 just nope out of the CL, but then that's more of a problem for the CL than the PL.

tjb

European Union will block this super league for sure, meanwhile

They can't do that and in all honesty, them feeling they have the ability to punish players for their club may be part of the problem. I actually want to see how this looks like. I don't like the idea of permanent members, but I suspect this is them simply cutting out UEFA, eventually more clubs will join if its successful and it will replace the champions league.