European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Withnail

There were some statements in tweets upthread, can't find them right now. Obviously things are moving quite quickly but this is in line with what has been said.

I may be wrong but I've seen it mentioned.
There was a lot of nonsense tweets being posted earlier. I don't think anything of the sort has been confirmed.

All I can find is that they 'could' ban them from all competitions.

RyRoc

If Bayern join it'll be the end of the UCL. They're the only team withholding the new Super League from claiming to be the best.

Bayern, Ajax, Dortmund make much more sense as inclusions than Arsenal, Tottenham, Atletico.

Seriously why was Arsenal even invited? Because they have rich owners too?
Because globally they are one of the top 10/15 clubs in the world and have a massive fanbase in different continents. This is absolutely nothing to do with the current quality of the team, it's to do with who will watch the league - people in Asia and America will lap this up - especially younger fans. Teams like Arsenal and Spurs will then go on to make huge signings with the money involved in this and that will eventually even out the talent in the ESL. I think it's an absolute disaster by the way , not defending it at all just saying the reasoning behind why they have gone with some of the teams.

Infra-red

The Americanization of European football has started.
"This penalty shootout is brought to you by Bud Light, a clean crisp larger with a fast finish. Now let's see if Bruno Fernandes also has a fast finish as he steps up to take this penalty".

Fox outside the box

Not us, the sport. And that is my point.
Will it? Life goes on outside of what the elite clubs do just fine currently. There may be adjustments and what have you but there are still competitions to try and qualify for and general all round progress to be aimed for, as is now for so many clubs.

How exactly does this hurt Sheffield United? What if this proposal would mean that if it were active last season, that they would have made the Champions League. Maybe a less prestigious tournament than it was previously but still saw an increase in revenue etc. What if it ended up meaning they were able to reinvest and survive relegation?

Does this not mean that the other European competitions will see new teams? Why does this shut down football from top to bottom of it isn't already?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
There was a lot of nonsense tweets being posted earlier. I don't think anything of the sort has been confirmed.

All I can find is that they 'could' ban them from all competitions.
I couldn't find any sources and I need to sleep, so I agree with you. This forum is usually great with vetting tweets, so I assumed most of the stuff was legit but I guess we've had some duds.

In any case, they're talking about suspencions and cancellations already.

What a shitshow.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We'll be playing at least 10 games against English opposition, which makes the competition a bit shit.
Also true. Who the feck wants to play Chelsea 4 times in a season!? We did that the other year and it was hardly great shakes.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Because globally they are one of the top 10/15 clubs in the world and have a massive fanbase in different continents. This is absolutely nothing to do with the current quality of the team, it's to do with who will watch the league - people in Asia and America will lap this up - especially younger fans. Teams like Arsenal and Spurs will then go on to make huge signings with the money involved in this and that will eventually even out the talent in the ESL. I think it's an absolute disaster by the way , not defending it at all just saying the reasoning behind why they have gone with some of the teams.
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. It's all a very transparent money grab.

Schneiderman

Taking the top four argument in isolation, it's only been a thing for about 15 years, before that it was top 3 and before that just the winner. The PL can rectify this by adding a financial incentive (on top of the existing one which will be tricky if the numbers are true)

Sky sports loved talking about the big four, then the top 6. It's been invented and reinvented by sky for years.

The harder part is where the top 3 just nope out of the CL, but then that's more of a problem for the CL than the PL.
You've alluded to it yourself, the league won't be able to offer enough to make it worth it. And back then, the clubs didn't have another big shiny
weekly competition with massive amounts of money involved to focus on instead.

BaillyBaillyBailly

I'd expect the people actual playing feel differently if I'm honest. Mason would still want to winning games, scoring goals and playing at a level that sees him revered by fans.

Why do you think anyone supports anyone that isn't a big 6 club? Do you not think players kfr other clubs out a shift in even though they know full well they won't win anything at all. Do Birmingham City fans love their club because there's a chance they will win a Premier league? And the players, have they never played well despite not having a league title as a possibility? Or qualifying for Europe even?

This actually seems pretty disrespectful to players. I've seen people just assume they don't give a shit outside of a league win. In reality that's fans projecting their own feelings onto other people.

I fully expect that people who go to the ground will continue to do so. Just like Arsenal fans would still be going now if stadiums we allowed to be full, despite their absolute shambolic season, yethey would still turn up and then moan on aftv about the situation. Their players are still trying to win games, so do most other players of other clubs who have no hope of even qualifying for the Europa.

Greenwood will be absolutely buzzing tonight and it won't be because of much more than he played a match of football, played well and scored. He won't only be happy because top 4 is getting more likely or we've now got a shout at catching City.
I think the problem here is that winning the domestic league for these clubs will genuinely become unimportant. Regardless of whether you start well or not winning the Super League will be more important, in terms of prestige and in terms of money.

You will have noticed (I think, because I certainly have) that getting knocked out of the FA Cup still hurts, but not as much as it used to. Nowadays, I would genuinely rather finish top 4 than win the FA Cup. I think the Premier League will start to feel like that when the Super League begins, it just won't mean as much.

caid

It's obviously not about footballing ability. Arsenal are a bigger team than the ones you mention.
Who cares how good they were 15+ years ago. People dont watch the name or the history. They watch the team and Arsenal's current team isn't very good. You know they could solve that problem with some kind of qualification, like earning more points than their peers over a season. That way the elite european competition has the elite teams in it. Or i guess we could just assume Arsenal will be one of the 15 best teams in europe for the rest of existence becasue they're called arsenal

Tapori

Disagree. This is based on how big they are. If anything, City is the odd man out of all those clubs. City and Spurs.
Well in that case let's measure the consumer metrics for every club and award places based on how well the PR and Marketing departments did.
the PRemier League

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Just a gentle reminder, the MLS has just started up again, and Chicharito scored twice in a match where Higuain also was excellent. Let's all watch that instead.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
They can't do that and in all honesty, them feeling they have the ability to punish players for their club may be part of the problem. I actually want to see how this looks like. I don't like the idea of permanent members, but I suspect this is them simply cutting out UEFA, eventually more clubs will join if its successful and it will replace the champions league.
What makes you think they cant do that? Being able to play in EUFA and FIFA competitions is not some universal right for clubs. They have rules and if clubs choose to not follow them they can always be ejected. Just like clubs can be kicked out of the football league if they go into administration.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Will it? Life goes on outside of what the elite clubs do just fine currently. There may be adjustments and what have you but there are still competitions to try and qualify for and general all round progress to be aimed for, as is now for so many clubs.

How exactly does this hurt Sheffield United? What if this proposal would mean that if it were active last season, that they would have made the Champions League. Maybe a less prestigious tournament than it was previously but still saw an increase in revenue etc. What if it ended up meaning they were able to reinvest and survive relegation?

Does this not mean that the other European competitions will see new teams? Why does this shut down football from top to bottom of it isn't already?
What the hell are you on about?

This is a huge feck you to all the other clubs, telling them they're beneath these 15 founding clubs.

The audacity to form an "exclusive" group of clubs goes against the nature of football's unpredictability where a team can grow into a top team organically but then also have a couple of dark years where they're not among the big boys.

Tapori

They can't do that and in all honesty, them feeling they have the ability to punish players for their club may be part of the problem. I actually want to see how this looks like. I don't like the idea of permanent members, but I suspect this is them simply cutting out UEFA, eventually more clubs will join if its successful and it will replace the champions league.
The issue is who owns the fundamental rights to administrate the game's format and rules

Giggsy13

Football died when the biggest clubs in the world all decided Spurs belonged in a super league.

Adcuth

This could be like when Kevin Hall and Scott Nash left WWE. We could be replaced in the Champions League by another Manchester United but its actually Birmingham City.
To be fair, the fake Diesel didn't do to bad for himself.

KennyBurner

Cant believe something this big is happening in my lifetime. I wasnt even born when the Premier league started. I was a few months late.

stevoc

In the scenario that the Super League sides are allowed to remain within their domestic leagues, what happens if one gets relegated?
Nothing i assume they are still part of the super league.

I imagine though that within 5 years the money generated by the founding super league teams will be such that and their squads so stacked that even their 2nd teams will come top 6 in the PL without much effort.

Tapori

I wonder when we'll hear from the players. Surely, if they're against it, it would fold immediately. This could have serious ramifications on existing contracts and upcoming transfer windows.
The implications are enormous and if I was a ET lawyer or contract Lawyer, I'd be planning my retirement on the fees alone.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
I think the problem here is that winning the domestic league for these clubs will genuinely become unimportant. Regardless of whether you start well or not winning the Super League will be more important, in terms of prestige and in terms of money.

You will have noticed (I think, because I certainly have) that getting knocked out of the FA Cup still hurts, but not as much as it used to. Nowadays, I would genuinely rather finish top 4 than win the FA Cup. I think the Premier League will start to feel like that when the Super League begins, it just won't mean as much.
Why though? Winning the league is still winning the league. We want to keep Liverpool from getting 20. We wanna get the 21st. Need to break City's Hegemony. The only thing it would change is that 6 of the clubs would not care about the top 4 battle and isn't that what our fans make fun of us for these days? Caring about the top 4 trophy? West Ham and Leicester still want the top 4.

Withnail

I couldn't find any sources and I need to sleep, so I agree with you. This forum is usually great with vetting tweets, so I assumed most of the stuff was legit but I guess we've had some duds.

In any case, they're talking about suspencions and cancellations already.

What a shitshow.
Alright mate, I think the cancellation/suspension stuff was crap aswell. There was feck all vetting of tweets happening earlier unfortunately.

He'sRaldo

Well, at least now we can all collectively open our eyes and see how stupid blindly supporting a corporation is.

Tapori

If the various governments actually decided to do something about it, there is absolutely nothing these clubs could do to stop them.
This
The political capital in the UK is unique Vs anywhere in America.
You could see MP's losing seats over this let alone what could happen if fans united and organised.

lsd

The Oracle
Just a gentle reminder, the MLS has just started up again, and Chicharito scored twice in a match where Higuain also was excellent. Let's all watch that instead.

Can i watch the grass grow instead as that would be more exciting?