European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lee565

All I can say is thank god have been lucky to enjoy football for over 25 years and not just starting to follow it in this soulless era of the sport.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Sociedad home. Why did Burnley matter at the weekend? We’re home and hosed already for the great top 4 achievement. Leeds just beat City - how is that possible? They had nothing to play for. Amazed their players even bothered to turn up.
:lol: First the sociedad game was beaten for months for not resting players argument and now it’s being brought up here again, that game!:lol:

the result of that game was crucially important

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
you really think the PL will kick out its 6 richest clubs out? i can't see this happening in a million years. they will threaten to do so, of course, but the impact it would have on revenue, tv rights, etc, is far too great for them to actually go through with. as i said before, it's postering.
I think it would be totally counterproductive, I've made the point numerous times today, I just think the 6 teams have little point in competing in the league. I think there's a chance the other teams expel them too. I don't think it's up the the PL themselves.

Sky and BT but be absolutely shitting themselves.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This will surely be a deal breaker with many players. Will the likes of Ronaldo, De Bruyne, Sterling, Pogba, Bruno, Salah, Van Dijk, Kane etc really agree to play in this new league if it means never playing for their countries ever again?
This could be the thing that stops it.

If all the stars players are immediately looking to get out of their contracts, it could throw clubs into turmoil. The players could ultimately be the bargaining chips.

Foxbatt

more postering

the euros and wc without the best players would be non events.
Those best players would no longer be world players. And they are rich enough already they may not go along with it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This will surely be a deal breaker with many players. Will the likes of Ronaldo, De Bruyne, Sterling, Pogba, Bruno, Salah, Van Dijk, Kane etc really agree to play in this new league if it means never playing for their countries ever again?
Its the biggest weapon FIFA/UEFA have at this point. No self-respecting player would give up a chance to represent their country at the WC just to be in some posh, plastic league run by the likes of Perez and Woodward.

The Super League is going to offer Bayern, PSG and Dortmund (founding) membership as soon as possible. Leaving PSG 14 days to respond and the German clubs 30 days.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Spiegel claim to have the contract that outlines the framework for ESL, 167 pages, dated April 17th.

Apparently it sets out that the league's board is going to offer Bayern, PSG and Dortmund (founding) membership as soon as possible. Leaving PSG 14 days to respond and the German clubs 30 days.

Ixion

more postering

the euros and wc without the best players would be non events.
Not convinced about that. Every country will still be there, every nation supported like always. There have been plenty of World Cups where a big team didnt qualify and big names were missing.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Multiply it by 100 when the results of the League have absolutely no bearing. At least when teams had to finish top 4 there was something to fight for. There will be no benefit for Spurs to finish 3rd or 13th. They'll still get their games with Madrid the next season, that is not the case right now.
I’m quite amazed people can’t see this and the difference to what currently happens with balancing European and league games and what it would be become with a closed competition at the end of the season

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Make it happen. I don't care about all these outrages and crying from UEFA, PL, Sky etc who are crying because they see loss in revenue and hiding behind fake morality and tradition.

As for fans as a whole, almost every new thing whether they'd turn out good or bad have usually always been met with outrage. If this SL works out people will be on board.
So you're okay with gatekeeping and effectively denying a chance for other teams to play at the highest level forever? Increasing exponentially the already huge financial gap and making it permanent while definitely damaging the national competitions by essentially making them worthless? Playing the same teams over and over with no risks and nothing at stake while keeping on raking up the cash? Increasing the costs for the basic fan to watch his team playing away (good luck with getting a ticket when MU will play Corinthians or River Plate as an invited team)?

The sheer sense of entitlement, arrogance and short-sightedness of your post is astounding. I hold no grudge against any team of big six, or any other team for that matter, but I do hope that, should this monstrosity see the light, your club and all the teams who signed to it will be kicked out of every other competition. Have fun playing the same 38 odd games year in year out.

red4ever 79

I'm sorry but no one will watch the Premier League outside of England for a title race between Leicester West Ham and Everton
I will and I am outside of England. I certainly wont be watching Hollywood utd FC taking on the Real Warriors at 3am at the superdome

LoneStar

I think this is just the big clubs trying to get UEFA to change some rules in their favor. Surely they would know that it would lead to massive opposition, politics and otherwise. This is how I see it ending, with UEFA making some compromises and changing some rules on FFP and whatnot.

But, in the small chance that this will happen, let's not be naive. There might be protests initially, but it would end up being a massive commercial success for the teams involved and their owners.

stepic

I just think the 6 teams have little point in competing in the league.
don't understand why anyone would think this. the clubs still want to compete in their domestic leagues. as they should. that won't change. it's only the top 4 race that gets messed up, the one most people criticise clubs like Arsenal for celebrating.

Ananke

how so? 3 teams are promoted and relegated every year. in the SL, there would be 5 new teams. yes, the 15 would remain the same, but the majority of PL clubs also stay the same, on the whole.
Why would anybody want to be in that competition with those 15 teams?

"Come, come over here and play in our elitist competition for a year."
"Yes we know you did well but those 15 other teams paid to be here"

There's a difference investing a lot of cash into a team and making it good, to outright buying positions in a competition.

red4ever 79

Spiegel claim to have the contract that outlines the framework for ESL, 167 pages, dated April 17th.

Apparently it sets out that the league's board is going to offer Bayern, PSG and Dortmund (founding) membership as soon as possible. Leaving PSG 14 days to respond and the German clubs 30 days.
Bayern already released official statement on their website today saying nope

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Quite right. Hope they do the same in the Europa also. Hit the mother feckers where it hurts
I really can't see this happening. UEFA would stand to lose too much money (regardless of the clubs fortunes) UEFA would lose so much money.

Plus it's unfair on the players who have worked so hard to get there, most of which are the fringe players for Man Utd.

ReddBalls

Only thing is Glazer's and Henry are probably happy about it as they'll be able to 'move the franchise'. Not sure what Chelsea will do as their pitch owners own the name Chelsea Football Club and I think also own the freehold to Stamford Bridge.
That might well be the ultimate goal. For all I know there's millions of "fans" out there who have no understanding of the culture and history of the clubs, and are mostly interested in the "brand". The clubs could just relocate to Asia, fill the teams with mediocre players, hype them up in their media monopoly and still have millions of viewers generating revenue while keeping costs low and keep the revenue flowing. It happens all the time in other businesses.

Gandalf

Not convinced about that. Every country will still be there, every nation supported like always. There have been plenty of World Cups where a big team didnt qualify and big names were missing.
Problem is that banning the players does absolutely feck all to penalise the clubs who will probably be happy their assets are not being risked in international games, it just hurts the players who have no control and no stake in this.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Let's say the ESL establishes itself away from FIFA/UEFA, what kinda football rule will they follow ? I mean for offsides, handballs etc etc.
It could be a totally different football

cyberman

Again, can someone explain how do you think this will impact PL ? From what I read, this is purely hitting UEFA.

Yes, it's monopoly of 6 teams trying to grab huge money from outside but they aren't doing anything impacting the PL though ?
I was torn on it this morning but im on the cant let it happen side now but 6 teams who are able to duke it out with capped City is better than the 1 club domination we see today. Its the 1 argument in this that falls down. In a few decades only Leicester have gotten into CL over these 6 clubs.

mu4c_20le

I think this is just the big clubs trying to get UEFA to change some rules in their favor. Surely they would know that it would lead to massive opposition, politics and otherwise. This is how I see it ending, with UEFA making some compromises and changing some rules on FFP and whatnot.

But, in the small chance that this will happen, let's not be naive. There might be protests initially, but it would end up being a massive commercial success for the teams involved and their owners.
That is what history suggests, since something like this gets done every decade or so, and usually results in UEFA making some concessions and reforms to keep them in. This one feels different because there wasn't much buildup besides the announcement last year, and now it feels like they are trying to bulldoze their way through the criticism. I'm guessing the pandemic also played a key role in this somehow.

Woodzy

I think we are too far gone at this point for it to be some sort of play.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bayern already released official statement on their website today saying nope
Dortmund as well. But that's what they have to do in this situation if they want to survive the next member's meeting. We will see what happens if the authorities can not kill ESL in its cradle. When you have the option to either sign the contract or get marginalize the perspective might change.