European titles - United 3, Chelsea 2. How do you feel about it?

I know this is our go to statement regarding the likes of Chelsea and City but United fans have to understand no one gives a flying feck about this ffs.
It's the trophy cabinet that matters and if Chelsea/City keep winning, they will eventually have more fans than us.
Chelsea have 20 years of winning behind them now and still couldn't sell all their tickets. These plastic clubs are too cyclical, half the City fans used to be Chelsea fans. When the new money on the block comes, they'll all go there.

Kostov

It stresses out how poor we have been in Europe. Chelsea will sooner get their 3rd then we get our 4th, and it's embarrassing.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
It’s a cup competition, the best teams won’t always win, that’s the beauty.

Utd could, proportionate to stature, have more titles but it is what it is. Let’s not demean the two that we have though. Yes the 2012 one seemed to be destiny and we had huge fortune but this one we beat everyone in front of us convincingly.

We could say if Terry hadn’t slipped it’d be 3, if that Barca semi wasn’t such a ‘disgrace’ maybe 4. The Liverpool ghost goal etc

You just can’t think of cups like that, you win when you win regardless of how good you are in the league

The Oracle

It’s a cup competition, the best teams won’t always win, that’s the beauty.

Utd could, proportionate to stature, have more titles but it is what it is. Let’s not demean the two that we have though. Yes the 2012 one seemed to be destiny and we had huge fortune but this one we beat everyone in front of us convincingly.

We could say if Terry hadn’t slipped it’d be 3, if that Barca semi wasn’t such a ‘disgrace’ maybe 4. The Liverpool ghost goal etc

You just can’t think of cups like that, you win when you win regardless of how good you are in the league
I think this is a fair comment.

I completely agree with the Barca semi-final. One of the worst refereeing performances I have seen in such a high-profile game.

There are many other examples as well, but I think the one time in football, that had the sole biggest effect on English teams winning the European Cup, was when Liverpool got all English clubs banned from Europe for 5 years.

Massively underachievement during Fergie’s reign and since then Chelsea simply prove that an owner that demands more ultimately gets more.
Trying to go through romantic project after romantic project gets you nowhere fast.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Our biggest failures were in 97,98, 2000 and 2002

We genuinely had one of the best squads but far too often, Fergie got it wrong tactically against "lesser" opposition. Even that 2000 Real Madrid side weren't that good...

The annoying thing was, he finally got the hang of it after Rome in 2007 but lack of investment post Ronaldo stopped us dominating.

gorky_utd

Our owner is only interested in taking part in UCL not to win it. Liverpool and Chelsea have won UCL recently, City will probably win it soon while they have won multiple PL recently too. Shameless Glazers still don't want to invest to compete with them while the team hasn't won a single League Cup in 4 years.

redmanx

No asking for much then fella :)
I wasnt asking for anything, I just dont want the likes of a Johnny come lately bunch of playboys from the Kings Road becoming too successful, and I dont want to see that lot in sky blue and their overhyped manager winning anything, and I feel just the same with Liverpool and Arsenal. In an ideal world United would win everything going, including the Grand National and Boat Race, though its pretty unlikely thats going to happen, but I can still dream!

redmanx

If that critique of the current state of the Champions League is meant to demean Chelsea's win, then it's even more damning of our group stage exit this year.
The CL has gone the same way as the European Championships and World Cup in allowing just about any club or country that can field a full team to enter. When they had smaller formats consisting of the very best teams which had earned the right to be in these tournaments it was much harderto progress after the initial group stage because there were no "soft" opponents. And yes, our exit in the CL group stage was a damning indictment of the team and club.

rhajdu

I don't know why, but I don't really care about Chelsea's achievements. For me, they are the lesser of the many evils. I prefer them to win rather than Arsenal, Manchester City or Liverpool. Maybe I have a sweet spot for Chelsea, because we won the Champions League againts them - and I really hate Barcelona -, or I don't have any people in my inner circle who support them so that's why I don't mind.

However, I agree with those posters who said that we could have won more Champions Leagues under Sir Alex Ferguson. Two more and it's not a topic.

Number32

So United fans still looking at a small rear-view mirror when the front-view is larger.

That's what I feel.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
The CL has gone the same way as the European Championships and World Cup in allowing just about any club or country that can field a full team to enter. When they had smaller formats consisting of the very best teams which had earned the right to be in these tournaments it was much harder to progress after the initial group stage because there were no "soft" opponents.
How exactly do you "earn" the right to be in it every year? This sounds very close to the whole Super League bullshit.

If you can't beat Istanbul Başakşehir, you shouldn't whine about the competition being deluded with "lesser" teams.

Constable Odo

A lot of United fans need to stop feeling sorry for themselves. I'm guessing it's rare but even if you started supporting United post Ferguson you've seen the Club win an FA cup, League cup and UEFA cup, the vast majority of English clubs could only dream of winning that in their entire history.

Winning the European Cup is a great achievement but it's just a cup competition, as such you're forever in the arms of a bit of luck, a bad referee or a mistake here and there, every club in their history can look at what ifs when it comes to cup competitions. Look at it like this, English clubs have won the European Cup on 14 occasions and on only 4 of those can the club genuinely say they are the best club in Europe, In the modern champions League era that has happened only twice, by a single club, I don't need to tell you who the club are.

So yeah Chelsea have two European Cups to our three now, closed the gap but never once in the history of their club can they claim to actually be the best team in Europe, only two clubs in the entire history of English football have that right and United are one of them. Stop looking at failures and be proud of the amazing things we have actually achieved in Europe.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea were gifted one of theirs by refereeing decisions and we’d have at least another 1, maybe 2 if not for refereeing decisions. They’ve also chucked insane amounts of money at it meaning they effectively paid for theirs.
Erm, what? If anything we've been absolutely mugged off by referee decisions, chiefly Ovrebo.

Fergie won 2, over a twenty year period of success.

Chelsea have won 2 over the twenty year period they've had Ambramovich based success.

It's a tough competition and then you also need some luck. United only have themselves to blame for going out to inferior teams on so many occasions.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
As long Chelsea keep (in general) appointing great coaches, and Man Utd keep with a manager like Ole then I can see it being 3-3 before it becomes 4-2.

HackeyC

This is in no way a dig at Chelsea fans but to me both Chelsea sides that won the CL are among the weakest winners in the last 30 years. If anything their win should invigorate the United squad because frankly if that Chelsea size can win it then there is no reason why we cannot. That said, only your name goes on the trophy, not how you won it.

redmanx

How exactly do you "earn" the right to be in it every year? This sounds very close to the whole Super League bullshit.

If you can't beat Istanbul Başakşehir, you shouldn't whine about the competition being deluded with "lesser" teams.
Teams earn the right to be in these tournaments by being the best, not in order to up the profit margins. The quality of teams in the World Cup and The European Championships have been diluted in order to maximize profit, same as with club tournaments.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
How much more self hatred is left in this forum? I need to know, before I visit it again. So a rough estimate of the timeline would help.