European titles - United 3, Chelsea 2. How do you feel about it?

GueRed

Chelsea obviously have a board and owner more obsessed with winning trophies than we do.

Chelsea are a better run 'Football Club'.

Our board and owners are shit.

It's been a tough gig for Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Some clubs just develop a love affair with the Champions League.

Chelsea, City and Liverpool will each grab one (more) before we get to another final

arnie_ni

1. We should have gotten more.
2. I feel nothing towards Chelsea, nothing. I hate city and Liverpool, but Chelsea, meh, carry on.

Varun

Staff
Don't feel much tbh. Our count of 3 is a bit poor for a club of our stature and quality (during Sir Alex's time). None of that has changed because Chelsea added 1 to the count last night.

FahadiHossein

The thing also about Chelsea is that they have not lost much money on flop players. They will loan the guy out, get the other club to pay during the loan duration, and still sell the player without losing that much money later.
On the other hand, United have lost so much money on Schneiderlin, Mikh, Sanchez and di Maria. I think United is still helping to pay some of Sanchez's wages even till now. It is no surprise that they can afford a better pool of players and achieve more.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I was just impressed by the performance. Tuchel has been there for a few months and turned them into a team that fully deserved the trophy.

And then there’s the difference between The United Way and Roman’s Way. Roman’s way has paid off yet again. It’s expensive in terms of pay offs but you can’t argue with it. He didn’t wait three years in the hope that Lampard would come good, he fastracked Chelsea to another trophy. Both of his European titles have come from him addressing the problem and making a change in the middle of a season.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I honestly don't care. It's Abramovic CL wins, not Chelsea's, as far as I'm concerned. A plastic club with no soul.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It's a joke. Great sides should win these comps not the likes of Chelsea. Insane.
So only Real, Barca, Juve, United or Liverpool have the right to win? Not Porto, not Chelsea, not Monaco? That is quite elitist...

Crustanoid

One actual club winning 3 legitimately and another piece of shit plastic club who bought their way to 2, destroying football in the process (not even getting into other things which that money led to in order for the owner to get to that point).

Theirs don’t count and will always be hollow and associated with everything that is wrong with modern football

Spoony

The People's President
So only Real, Barca, Juve, United or Liverpool have the right to win? Not Porto, not Chelsea, not Monaco? That is quite elitist...
Easy tiger.

No. How are United or Liverpool or Real great this season? Cups give also rans a chance even the fuxking 'Chamipons' leaguel' does- chuckle.

stw2022

Don’t care. In find the obsession with numbers odd. Rival winning trophies feels shit if it’s their 1st or 31st

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I said it last night but timing and luck is a massive factor with this stuff. Chelsea have won 2 now and you can’t really say they’ve been the best team in Europe for either of them, but they were in the right place at the right time and took advantage of the other teams not being at it. They had some massive karma in the bank from 2009 when knocking Barca out in 2012. It seemed like the trophy was just meant to be theirs.

We were unlucky that we had a balon D’or winner who buggered off shortly after his 24th birthday. We could have dominated like Real did if we’d hung onto Ronaldo, or if our second great team didn’t coincide with Barcelona being the best side ever. That team got cut short in its prime, which hasn’t happened to the other elite clubs like Bayern, Barca and Real.

We often seem to have our strong cycles at a time when others are as well. We never play Real when they’re in the position they are now - they’re always full of Galacticos. The great Barcelona team as I mentioned above is also frustrating that it came along when it did. 2004 is one that sticks out as a competition we should have capitalised on due to the rest being poor - but we got fecked over by the linesman against Porto who ruled out a perfectly good goal.

Basically it’s a cup competition and anything can happen, down to the smallest margins making the difference. We’ve been unlucky not to win more than 3, and at the same time lucky to win 3. Eusebio missing a last missing sitter in 1968, Bayern going full Sterling in front of goal in 1999, Terry missing his pen in Moscow in 2008. These could have gone the other way too.

Bwuk

I don’t care. Focus on ourselves.

We haven’t got past the quarter finals in 10 years.

0le

United are still the only PL team to defend their title three years in a row and the only team in English history to win a treble of the three biggest trophies for English teams to win.

Spoony

The People's President
One actual club winning 3 legitimately and another piece of shit plastic club who bought their way to 2, destroying football in the process (not even getting into other things which that money led to in order for the owner to get to that point).

Theirs don’t count and will always be hollow and associated with everything that is wrong with modern football
With a bit of a fluke we could win it next year...

Chabon

Then why did they beat us?
First team in the expanded CL to get back to the final after winning it, going 25 matches unbeaten in the process (an all time European Cup record). Just won the strongest league in English history three times in a row as well.

We were better than Barca at the time, we lost for the same reason City lost today: we completely fecked up the final. It’s the one that I regret the most because it was probably the only chance we’ll ever get to be one of the undisputed best sides of all time. And then the Spanish government stole our best player, and the rest is history.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Easy tiger.

No. How are United or Liverpool or Real great this season? Cups give also rans a chance even the fuxking 'Chamipons' leaguel' does- chuckle.
You said only great sides should win it. Well, Chelsea seems to be one even though you don't like to hear that

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I feel pretty terrible. We've sleep walked the last ten years whilst Chelsea added 2 Premier Leagues, an FA Cup and a Champions League all whilst also suffering their lowest points in the Abramavic era themselves.

I wanted massive change two seasons ago by way of ruthlessness and aggressive transfer marker activity. Our owners are a joke, which is why I don't give a feck about fan forums.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
First team in the expanded CL to get back to the final after winning it, going 25 matches unbeaten in the process (an all time European Cup record). Just won the strongest league in English history three times in a row as well.

We were better than Barca at the time, we lost for the same reason City lost today: we completely fecked up the final. It’s the one that I regret the most because it was probably the only chance we’ll ever get to be one of the undisputed best sides of all time. And then the Spanish government stole our best player, and the rest is history.
This

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Gazprom sponsored wins. Knowing we did ours properly etc.

Also why I have more respect for Liverpool in Europe.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

I agree we were strong and Barca probably shouldn't have progressed past Chelsea, but they still won the treble and kicked on to become one of best club sides in history. I think tactics obviously played a role, but their superior midfield made the difference.

Spoony

The People's President
You said only great sides should win it. Well, Chelsea seems to be one even though you don't like to hear that
I said great sides not great clubs. What's the issue here. United are not a great side. Chelsea are a flukey side who.won the Champions League....Now, work it out. Side = team.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Since Chelsea have been a big club (ie since Roman) they’ve won 2 CLs in in 18 years (contesting 3 finals).

With Fergie we won 2 in 26 years (contesting 4 finals).

Will Chelsea get another in the next 8 years? I’m not so sure. You also have to bear in mind both of our CL successes came when we won the league as well.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Our European title haul is not good enough. Bayern have 6, same as Liverpool, Milan have 7, Ajax have 4. Chelsea will probably win it again before us. I don't keep it in mind but when it's pointed out, it stings a little.
All those hauls were built up in a completely different era and what was basically a completely different competition. Look at some of the teams Liverpool had to beat to win it back in the 80s. In some respects, the hardest part of winning the CL then was actually winning your league, and we weren't a dominant domestic force then.

In the modern era, with the CL in its current format our record is 2 wins and 4 finals. Liverpool's 2 wins and 4 finals.

Shark

@NotShark
I feel pretty terrible. We've sleep walked the last ten years whilst Chelsea added 2 Premier Leagues, an FA Cup and a Champions League all whilst also suffering their lowest points in the Abramavic era themselves.

I wanted massive change two seasons ago by way of ruthlessness and aggressive transfer marker activity. Our owners are a joke, which is why I don't give a feck about fan forums.
United and many fans are obsessed with having a rebuild process that lasts for years before we can even challenge, never mind win the top honors. We're molding into Arsenal since 2004.

El Zoido

I don’t really care, it’s a great competition to win but cups really do just require a lot of pieces to fall in to place at the right time. We should definitely have won more though. The older I get the less I care about other teams, I didn’t even really care when Liverpool won it again recently.

Fooza

Kind of worrying with the amount of "i don't care" responses on here

Same mentality as our board/owners unfortunately, sad to see. When everyone around us are winning the big trophies, it hurts.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
United and many fans are obsessed with having a rebuild process that lasts for years before we can even challenge, never mind win the top honors. We're molding into Arsenal since 2004.
We've been Arsenal every year post Fergie, but without all the Fa. Cups

PeterWunited

Going to get worse before it gets better.
I suppose one thing Chelsea and Villarael winning proves is any half decent team can win a cup, you don't have to be the best.
The 2 European finals have proven that pragmatism pays. Both teams that won had less possession and were set up not to loose. Everybody says they both deserved their victories but it is much easier to defend than attack. I for one criticised Ole for not using subs, but it is easier to put on subs to do a job of defending than have ones to try to win.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
United is in such a good place , legacy wise, that even if other clubs win more CL titles, United will still be regarded as the most succesfull club in British history. The club’s history and position in the history books has already been set. However that does not mean we can afford a trophy less season year after year. At some point you don’t want to be remembered only for your legacy, which is why I believe that this will also be a reality check for United and a classic kick in the behind to get things going.

It was not that long again that Lampard said that his team was not ready to compete yet and 4-5 months after the same team lifts the most prestigious trophy in football. A manager can and will reflect his shortcomings unto a team, hence the importance of a club being able to make decisions which at that time may seem ‘harsh’ or ‘ruthless’.

GueRed

When I come to think that we went for him and Batistuta... Darn

Yep loved Cole, still do.
But in the mid 90's Batistuta and Shearer were cream of the crop.

if we had one of those two im convinced we would've got to more Champions Leagues finals.

sadly our low wage ceiling prevented us from signing the big stars like Batigol back then.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Don’t care. In find the obsession with numbers odd. Rival winning trophies feels shit if it’s their 1st or 31st
Did you feel no pride in Fergie retiring and us being the most dominant league and FA Cup winners?

gorky_utd

Kind of worrying with the amount of "i don't care" responses on here

Same mentality as our board/owners unfortunately, sad to see. When everyone around us are winning the big trophies, it hurts.
This is the main issue. City, che, pool all have won the biggest prizes in last 3 years while we are on a trophy less run. If the board had any ambition, they would go and splash the cash this summer. Otherwise, it is just top 4 race and occasionally a league Cup in the immediate future.

Chabon

I agree we were strong and Barca probably shouldn't have progressed past Chelsea, but they still won the treble and kicked on to become one of best club sides in history. I think tactics obviously played a role, but their superior midfield made the difference.
Part of the reason their superior midfield made a difference is because both Hargreaves and Fletcher were absent. That carousel was imperious, but it could be got at with sufficient tenacity (as other sides in that era showed). Fergie talks a good game about wanting to play that final in the ‘right’ way, but in retrospect maybe he didn’t really have much choice in that midfield selection.

stw2022

Did you feel no pride in Fergie retiring and us being the most dominant league and FA Cup winners?
I felt pride at every trophy he won on course. Did the fact they added to trophies we won 60 years before I was born make them mean more? How could they possibly?

the chameleon

It’s a lot of luck in that final hurdle. We’ve only 3, but it could easily be 10. Munich may have cost us 3-5 extra potential titles between 58-68. That’s a lost decade there.

The barren years in the 70s and 80s would have happened either way.

Then with the Fergie years. 97, 2002, 2004 and 2009, 2010 and 2013 all could have easily gone the other way in our favour.

On the flip side, 99 could have gone in Bayern Munich’s favour.

My point is, in our case, there is a thin line between 2 and 11 champions league titles.

Juventus is similar. I think they have the record for losing finals.

Chelsea and City don’t have anywhere near that.

This is why 20 of league titles is clearly a stronger indicator of success. Though nothing beats the joy of your team lifting a champions league trophy.

Last edited: