Evan Ferguson - Top Irish Prospect

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Surreal to think I used to watch this kid come off the bench in Dalymount and the strides he has come on since then and he is still a teenager. Brighton is the perfect club for him right now.
It's not that long ago that I was seeing his dad play, which is a great and not at all alienating age for to get to

marktan

7 goals and 3 assists in 599 minutes...
2 of those were against Grimsby the other day.

He has 3 goals in the league in 10 appearances. Brighton are an attacking team that likes to dominate possession and thus create a lot of chances, but they're known as a team that lacks finishers and with good reason.

As everyone has said he's only 18, lots of room to improve so Brighton is a good place for him to stay and develop.

Loon

:lol:
So, it’s now setup for this lad to do us in the semi*

Thanks, all.

*Hoping this one finally lands me in the “posts that sound sexual” thread.

acolyte

I'd genuinely be almost as excited if we got this guy for £60 mil or whatever as if we got Kane for £100 mil

lex talionis

I'd actually like to see us pick up both Kane and Ferguson this summer. Kane has 2-3 seasons max at this level, although he'll undoubtedly want a 4 year contract but in the end will have to settle for a 3 year contract.

Ferguson is only 18 years old. The timing of the transition from Kane to Ferguson could not be more perfect.

mav_9me

You’d be crazy to spend the same money on him than Kane.
Yeah you are probably right. I just wish we could somehow get him. He is probably not ready to be our main striker, but then who knows how much he is going to cost in 2 years or how things will be in 2 yrs where other teams may need a striker more?

Gazza

Ireland haven’t produced a single decent footballer for about twenty years so I’m pretty sure this guy will be playing for Huddersfield or Columbus Crew within a couple of weeks.

whoite teks

TomD

Being Irish I can confirm there is a lot of hope & excitement surrounding Ferguson. Personally I would prefer him to Kane. He is young & raw but he is 12 years younger than Kane & has massive potential. In the last few days ex Birmingham & Wimbledon defender Kenny Cunningham discussed Kane & the possible transfer to United on Irish radio. His opinion was that Kane is not a good fit for us, as his work rate off the ball / pressing is poor. He argued that his current style of play is similar to Ronaldo, he is just a goal scorer, and we just got rid of Ronaldo because he didn't suit the pressing style. I would be interested to know if any Spurs fans share this view or is he talking rubbish.

Doracle

I'd actually like to see us pick up both Kane and Ferguson this summer. Kane has 2-3 seasons max at this level, although he'll undoubtedly want a 4 year contract but in the end will have to settle for a 3 year contract.

Ferguson is only 18 years old. The timing of the transition from Kane to Ferguson could not be more perfect.
Kane should have at least 5 years at current level - he’s only 29. I agree though it still makes sense to get both if that was somehow possible.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Kane should have at least 5 years at current level - he’s only 29. I agree though it still makes sense to get both if that was somehow possible.
He will be 30 before season starts, also his ankle injuries means i won't be sure about next 5 years.

It would be great deal if we get peak Kane for 3 years, will give us very good chance to win PL.

Robbie Boy

He has 3 goals in the league in 10 appearances. Brighton are an attacking team that likes to dominate possession and thus create a lot of chances, but they're known as a team that lacks finishers and with good reason.

As everyone has said he's only 18, lots of room to improve so Brighton is a good place for him to stay and develop.
That's cherry picking mate. He has 7 goals and 3 assists in 599 minutes of first team football, that's just a fact. He only turned 18 last October, so of course there's a-lot of room for improvement.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If we get players like this then the fanbase has no right to put pressure on us winning next years title.

Good young player but we can’t win titles with players like him.

Fabio Rochemback

Yep. If the choice is between Kane and a right back or Kane and Ferguson I would pick the latter option.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
So you’re saying we’ll win nothing with kids?
As our main striker yes.

Our front line will be all under 25 next season in Rashford, Greenwood, Amad, Garanacho, Antony, Pellestri, Sancho.

Arguably the only one with some experience is Martial.

If an 18 year old player is going to make the difference to win a title next year - I personally don’t see it.

I think Ten Hag values experience anyway - I can see him going for a 24-25 year old Osihmen that’s about to reach his peak or Kane who is experienced but I can’t see him going for an 18 year old next season and then being pushed to win the league by himself.

Oranges038

That's cherry picking mate. He has 7 goals and 3 assists in 599 minutes of first team football, that's just a fact. He only turned 18 last October, so of course there's a-lot of room for improvement.
Not comparing him to Rooney.

But, for context Rooney scored 17 goals over 2 full seasons with Everton before be signed for Utd. That second season was crucial to him actually proving he could handle himself in the premier league consistently.

Personally, I think he would probably be better served staying at Brighton for another year or 2, just for the sake of his own development. At the minute he's a bit of an unkown quantity for the opposition. Let's see how he does next year, when teams have a bit of time to figure him out, they might actually decide to come up with measures to contain/stop him.

Robbie Boy

As our main striker yes.

Our front line will be all under 25 next season in Rashford, Greenwood, Amad, Garanacho, Antony, Pellestri, Sancho.

Arguably the only one with some experience is Martial.

If an 18 year old player is going to make the difference to win a title next year - I personally don’t see it.

I think Ten Hag values experience anyway - I can see him going for a 24-25 year old Osihmen that’s about to reach his peak or Kane who is experienced but I can’t see him going for an 18 year old next season and then being pushed to win the league by himself.
Greenwood???

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not another 10+ years with United domination and a Ferguson as the centre piece...

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Its not cherry picking, it's breaking down the stats to provide additional context and its relevant to do so.

There's nothing wrong with providing additional context and still acknowledging he's got bags of potential.

troylocker

Please check your numbers. WhoScored has counted not his minutes in the FA cup. It’s 7/3 in 860 min, which is great too, just not that great

Robbie Boy

You mean 860 minutes, but still good. He didn’t score those FA Cup goals from the sideline
Calm down princess. I saw the stat saying 599 minutes, so if it's wrong, then fair enough. And yes, it's impressive either way. The overall point about Brighton struggling to score with him in the team was just pretty odd.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

You also don't want to miss the boat though. Nothing wrong with identifying potential and signing someone that isn't the finished article.

We'll probably sign someone that's more of the finished article than Ferguson is, but we're so thin up front we should probably look to sign him as well.

Robbie Boy

Its not cherry picking, it's breaking down the stats to provide additional context and its relevant to do so.

There's nothing wrong with providing additional context and still acknowledging he's got bags of potential.
Think you need to read where this started. Where's the evidence to point to Brighton struggling for goals with him in the team?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Think you need to read where this started. Where's the evidence to point to Brighton struggling for goals with him in the team?
Shhh I’m desperate for everyone to under rate him and think he’s sh1t!

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Being Irish I can confirm there is a lot of hope & excitement surrounding Ferguson. Personally I would prefer him to Kane. He is young & raw but he is 12 years younger than Kane & has massive potential. In the last few days ex Birmingham & Wimbledon defender Kenny Cunningham discussed Kane & the possible transfer to United on Irish radio. His opinion was that Kane is not a good fit for us, as his work rate off the ball / pressing is poor. He argued that his current style of play is similar to Ronaldo, he is just a goal scorer, and we just got rid of Ronaldo because he didn't suit the pressing style. I would be interested to know if any Spurs fans share this view or is he talking rubbish.
What a load of absolute rubbish :lol: :houllier:

Nero

So is he actually good or is he "We should sign James McCarthy" good?

Robbie Boy

So is he actually good or is he "We should sign James McCarthy" good?
Who knows? He turned 18 in October so obviously it could go either way. He's shown lots of early promise, and has been highly regarded since he was 14 or so. The main thing is; he seems to have a good head on his shoulders, which will be vital to his development.

Not sure what James McCarthy has to do with him though? Because he's Irish? There's been a tonne of young promising teenagers in the PL, from all parts of the world, that went onto greatness, had a solid PL career or slipped into mediocrity.

BarstoolProphet

Safe to say his opinion on Kane is absolutely rubbish.

Robbie Boy

Kane would obviously be a better signing.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
29 is twilight of a career. And he will be 30 by the time next season starts.
He might have another good three or four years - its a massive Might! Certainly not five