Evan Ferguson - Top Irish Prospect

MiceOnMeth

What is this strange meme that has developed around Ferguson where everyone keeps saying that if SAF was manager he'd be ours. One of those weird online peculiarities where everyone regurgitates the same bland statement as if it is some profound piece of analysis.
SAF loved strikers, He loved having some Irish players in the team, he loved signing teenage players with huge potential (Rooney, Ronaldo, Anderson, Nani, Jones, Zaha)

marktan

Good for an 18 year old but he's nowhere near the top level currently. Brighton struggle for goals when he plays.

I get we have a strong Irish fanbase but it's no reason to go overboard on players like him and Bazunu. If they get better then maybe it's an option but they'd be way out of their depth playing currently for us.

Robbie Boy

SAF loved strikers, He loved having some Irish players in the team, he loved signing teenage players with huge potential (Rooney, Ronaldo, Anderson, Nani, Jones, Zaha)
True. Things have moved on though in that regard. Long gone are the days we can just pluck the best players from other PL teams. The 'smaller' clubs are all minted now, and are always going to be difficult to deal with. The money involved in buying highly rated PL prospects/talents is insane. Look at the ridiculous amount that City paid for Grealish or West Ham want for Rice.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
The stuff I've just been reading on different corners of the internet about this guy is absolutely dizzying. I'm not sure if even Gerd Muller holds a candle to him.

Sky Sports are now reporting he shagged Margot Robbie and then ghosted her when she wanted to hang out again.

Evan Ferguson, folks. He's not like the rest of us.

next_number_seven

Brighton will be in Europe next season and he is 18. No way are they selling him. If he follows up his promise this season and gets 15 goals+ next season that'll be £80m at a absolute minimum and probably more like £100m.
I think nobody is willing to pay what Brighton are willing to accept.

If he has another good season for Brighton and does well with Ireland, then he's value is approaching 100m.

Brighton might be asset stripped in the summer though and his performances might drop next season. So maybe his value might drop down to about 40m.

I'd like to watch him in a full game though to see how good he is.

He's unusual though cos he's good quick, skillful feet but is also big and powerful.
He's big and tall enough to be good in the air and good target man, but is still quick and agile.

In other words he seems to have a bit of everything. Even two feet.

Im sure ETH would like to develop him but not willing to pay 70 or 80m or whatever amount to prise him from Brighton

mu4c_20le

The stuff I've just been reading on different corners of the internet about this guy is absolutely dizzying. I'm not sure if even Gerd Muller holds a candle to him.

Sky Sports are now reporting he shagged Margot Robbie and then ghosted her when she wanted to hang out again.

Evan Ferguson, folks. He's not like the rest of us.
Smart lad. Sign him up Hagie

MiceOnMeth

True. Things have moved on though in that regard. Long gone are the days we can just pluck the best players from other PL teams. The 'smaller' clubs are all minted now, and are always going to be difficult to deal with. The money involved in buying highly rated PL prospects/talents is insane. Look at the ridiculous amount that City paid for Grealish or West Ham want for Rice.
I guess people meant if Ferguson emerged in the mid 2000s we'd be all over him and get him for like 15 mil but you're right in 2023 it will take obscene money to make Brighton sell such a prospect.

mav_9me

What is this strange meme that has developed around Ferguson where everyone keeps saying that if SAF was manager he'd be ours. One of those weird online peculiarities where everyone regurgitates the same bland statement as if it is some profound piece of analysis.
I thought it was an obvious statement.

But here goes.
Thank you

next_number_seven

I guess people meant if Ferguson emerged in the mid 2000s we'd be all over him and get him for like 15 mil but you're right in 2023 it will take obscene money to make Brighton sell such a prospect.
Who was the young English fella he signed from a championship club? Maybe Crewe. He was an AM with a good shot

Vapor trail

Don't really have confidence with the scouting of the club to identify and pursue this type of player. Especially when you assess the summer activity and the restructure of key individuals in those roles the club would typically intensify interest when and if he's more prolific.

SAFMUTD

Evan Ferguson: "I grew up an Manchester United fan, I used to watch Danny Welbeck every week."

Enough said let's go get him. 9s are really scarce. Problem might be the cost I don't know how much will Brighton ask.

Robbie Boy

Man, I was wrong about him. What a bummer.
Aye, I thought Fergie would turn him into a superstar. I remember seeing 'that' goal for Crewe in the playoffs, and I thought he was going to be a gem. I think it was down to a poor attitude as opposed to a lack of talent, as the reason that he didn't get any opportunities here. He went on to do pretty well though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Good for an 18 year old but he's nowhere near the top level currently. Brighton struggle for goals when he plays.

I get we have a strong Irish fanbase but it's no reason to go overboard on players like him and Bazunu. If they get better then maybe it's an option but they'd be way out of their depth playing currently for us.
There’s no question that both of them are better off at their current clubs than moving to a top club so young. As an Ireland fan I’d be more than happy with Ferguson to stay where he is for at least another season or two.

Robbie Boy

There’s no question that both of them are better off at their current clubs than moving to a top club so young. As an Ireland fan I’d be more than happy with Ferguson to stay where he is for at least another season or two.
I hope, and think, he'll stay put. Brighton are a fantastic club for him to thrive. They're also a club on the up, with a cracking manager.

Red00012

Evan Ferguson: "I grew up an Manchester United fan, I used to watch Danny Welbeck every week."

Enough said let's go get him. 9s are really scarce. Problem might be the cost I don't know how much will Brighton ask.
Does Danny Welbeck still fall to the ground as he goes to shoot still ?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
No question he's in the absolute optimum place for his development. In an usual twist for an exciting young number 9, he appears to have no money grabbing relatives on the make in the background. He's a good guy surrounded by good people. The mind blowing joy I would feel at the thoughts of an Irish number 9 banging them in at the Stretford end on a regular basis can be put on ice for a year or two.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
This is the "problem" with British clubs being so financially stable for the bigger clubs which people don't really take into account, this lad having played 10 Premier League games is already being talked about on here as a 50-80m+ player.

In contrast, Barca paid €5m for Pedri who had played more for Las Palmas at a similar age.

Ferguson will likely have to take the Rice route and run down his contract.
Different times, every team in the league is rich these days…United can’t just pick and choose who they want.

He is going to get plenty of game time at Brighton and is only 18. The wiser approach would be to advise him not to sign a long contract or get some clauses in the small print.

Go for him in a few years when his contract is shorter…I’m saying all this with zero knowledge of his current contract.
You make him run his contract down

I post here on Brighton players when they are inevitably coveted/linked to Manchester United. I posted extensively in the Caicedo thread and really appreciated the very positive feedback so I thought I’d give my thoughts on this thread too.

There seems to be some confusion with the points made in the sampled quotes above.

Ferguson signed an improved contract until 2026 in October 2022 - the likelihood of the player winding down his contract is rather slim, and in truth the club have never in the last 30 years allowed this to happen. Recently, Trossard (final year), Maupay (final year), Bissouma (final year) and even a handful of unused prospects have been sold for relatively large fees rather than allowing this to happen. In fact, these transfer fees combined have totalled over £70m+ add-ons.

There are two main reasons for this. Firstly our players are still in demand when sold. There is often no shortage of potential buyers, which means that we don’t get lowballed on want-away players. Secondly, and related to this, our players are on relatively low wages in comparison to the top clubs and even many clubs who are doing less well. Everton, for example, are said to have practically doubled Maupay’s wage.

In practice this means the club “sitting on” a player isn’t a financial nightmare, because other clubs can afford to sign them and they’re still all relatively young. We don’t have Phil Jones’s, Oxlade-Chamberlain’s and the like on huge money that we want rid of. Both earn considerably more than our highest earners.

I did get quite a few mocking replies re: Caicedo, because - respectfully - some fans of the biggest clubs find it quite incredulous that Brighton are where they are in a business and footballing sense. Points made along the lines of “they’re just Brighton, offer them £20m and force a move. They only paid £5m for him, that’s a huge profit”.

I stated at the time that Caicedo was unlikely to go anywhere for south of £70m - and many spat out their coffee. Fair enough, it does sound mental, but it’s worth remembering that reputation isn’t the benchmark of a player’s value any more - ability, age and potential are. Whether they play for Barca or Bournemouth.

What Brighton pay for a player is irrelevant to outgoing dealings, speaking in terms of historical precedent. The club view profit/loss in strictly business terms. Maupay, for example, had amortised his transfer fee prior to his sale. Therefore, with use of the player for several seasons, the club view his sale for £5m less than we paid as a “profit”.

Brighton in particular, but many other smaller clubs than Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City aren’t pushovers any more when it comes to fees. And as was shown with Caicedo/White to Arsenal and Cucurella to Manchester City trying to force transfers, our chairman Tony Bloom will only sell on his terms and if he wants to.

Going back specifically to Evan Ferguson, he has shown huge promise. He’s physically finished aged 18 (made his professional debut in Ireland for Bohemians aged 14) - he’s a unit. His touch is superb and has shown some excellent finishing.
He speaks well, seems very mature and grounded and his family - his Father in particular - keep him on the straight and narrow and focused on football and development. I know this first hand.

If I HAD to speculate on what it would take fee wise in the summer, assuming he gets a few more goals in the next 11-12 games, I’d guess something in the region of £75-80m would do it.

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions about Evan or anything please feel free to ask and I’ll do my best to answer. Bear in mind I’m limited still to five posts per day. Cheers!

Reactions: SilentWitness

Bojan Djordjic

I post here on Brighton players when they are inevitably coveted/linked to Manchester United. I posted extensively in the Caicedo thread and really appreciated the very positive feedback so I thought I’d give my thoughts on this thread too.

There seems to be some confusion with the points made in the sampled quotes above.

Ferguson signed an improved contract until 2026 in October 2022 - the likelihood of the player winding down his contract is rather slim, and in truth the club have never in the last 30 years allowed this to happen. Recently, Trossard (final year), Maupay (final year), Bissouma (final year) and even a handful of unused prospects have been sold for relatively large fees rather than allowing this to happen. In fact, these transfer fees combined have totalled over £70m+ add-ons.

There are two main reasons for this. Firstly our players are still in demand when sold. There is often no shortage of potential buyers, which means that we don’t get lowballed on want-away players. Secondly, and related to this, our players are on relatively low wages in comparison to the top clubs and even many clubs who are doing less well. Everton, for example, are said to have practically doubled Maupay’s wage.

In practice this means the club “sitting on” a player isn’t a financial nightmare, because other clubs can afford to sign them and they’re still all relatively young. We don’t have Phil Jones’s, Oxlade-Chamberlain’s and the like on huge money that we want rid of. Both earn considerably more than our highest earners.

I did get quite a few mocking replies re: Caicedo, because - respectfully - some fans of the biggest clubs find it quite incredulous that Brighton are where they are in a business and footballing sense. Points made along the lines of “they’re just Brighton, offer them £20m and force a move. They only paid £5m for him, that’s a huge profit”.

I stated at the time that Caicedo was unlikely to go anywhere for south of £70m - and many spat out their coffee. Fair enough, it does sound mental, but it’s worth remembering that reputation isn’t the benchmark of a player’s value any more - ability, age and potential are. Whether they play for Barca or Bournemouth.

What Brighton pay for a player is irrelevant to outgoing dealings, speaking in terms of historical precedent. The club view profit/loss in strictly business terms. Maupay, for example, had amortised his transfer fee prior to his sale. Therefore, with use of the player for several seasons, the club view his sale for £5m less than we paid as a “profit”.

Brighton in particular, but many other smaller clubs than Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City aren’t pushovers any more when it comes to fees. And as was shown with Caicedo/White to Arsenal and Cucurella to Manchester City trying to force transfers, our chairman Tony Bloom will only sell on his terms and if he wants to.

Going back specifically to Evan Ferguson, he has shown huge promise. He’s physically finished aged 18 (made his professional debut in Ireland for Bohemians aged 14) - he’s a unit. His touch is superb and has shown some excellent finishing.
He speaks well, seems very mature and grounded and his family - his Father in particular - keep him on the straight and narrow and focused on football and development. I know this first hand.

If I HAD to speculate on what it would take fee wise in the summer, assuming he gets a few more goals in the next 11-12 games, I’d guess something in the region of £75-80m would do it.

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions about Evan or anything please feel free to ask and I’ll do my best to answer. Bear in mind I’m limited still to five posts per day. Cheers!
Good post in a series of good posts from you. You shouldn't be a newbie for long.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I'd love this signing. You just wonder f we would drop the considerable amount required for what will be a development player.

I sadly doubt it.

Bojan Djordjic

I'd love this signing. You just wonder f we would drop the considerable amount required for what will be a development player.

I sadly doubt it.
I think while we're still in squad building mode and have so many clear holes in the first team never mind the squad, we're never going to make a 70/80mn punt on a teenager that is still very much learning his trade. It's the sort of transfer you make when you've already got a title winning squad and want to future proof it rather than pinning all your hopes on him kicking on. I probably sound negative but I'm Irish and I haven't been this excited about a prospect we've had since our last bullet proof prospect Troy Parrot who probably looked even better at youth level.

Robertd0803

Just promote him now. The forum needs more sensible posters like this.

Cheers for the insight.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
End of next year you'd think would be the time for Brighton to move him on assuming he does well again. I doubt we'll be able to stump up the fee for him this year along with the other transfers we would want to make unless we can do some very good business on the selling side. Hard to believe we'll move lots of people on so I guess the only exception would be if we did the Chelsea thing and spread his contract out over 8 years or something. Might not be the worst idea but you'd think we might prefer to do that for Osimhen or a more "finished article".

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

I'd prefer a star in the making rather than going for a good striker for a world class price.

Oscar Bonavena

Here's an interesting question, would United fans take Evan Ferguson NOW, raw and inexperienced as he is, in place of Weghorst?!

Wayne's World

I'm just delighted to see an Irish up and coming potential superstar coming through again. We have been waiting years for a striker :D

I'd take him at United and did similar to what City do with Haaland and Alverez

If we got Oshimen/Kane and Ferguson on the bench and to play cup games it would an absolute dream

mav_9me

I'd prefer a star in the making rather than going for a good striker for a world class price.
Probably not the right move but I'd prefer him for 75m£ over Kane for 75m£.

macheda14

Is he Irish and do United have a history of great Irish players? Yes
Is his name Ferguson and do United have a history or great Ferguson’s? Yes
Is he already built like a man at 18 and do United have a history of great man child’s like Rooney? Yes

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Surreal to think I used to watch this kid come off the bench in Dalymount and the strides he has come on since then and he is still a teenager. Brighton is the perfect club for him right now.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Christ, as if our resident Irish supporters weren't excited enough, this'll send them over the edge :lol: