Evan Ferguson - Top Irish Prospect

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I think his mother's English, which is also why he was able to sign for Brighton at 16 and not 18 post-Brexit.
Southgate should give him a call then if that’s the case as there will be a strikers position open not too far away.

In seriousness though, he does look a quality player. Best he stays in Brighton for a couple of years. He might do great at big club but it could backfire and set his career back. Still would be great to have a Ferguson at the club!

Nick7

So she is. Feck. Was wondering how he got round the Brexit nonsense. Oh well. Senior competitive cap can’t be far off. Not exactly up against stiff competition.

Been googling a bit about his background. Interesting link between his old man and Brighton academy.
He got a couple of caps in November against Norway and Malta.

RedfromIreland

A lot of Rooney traits from what I’ve seen.
Very aggressive, not afraid to take the shot on etc.

CallyRed

Southgate coming in with the 'You can be the long term replacement for Kane'

Nick7

Has a player born and reared in Ireland ever played for England?

BerryBerryShrew

I think this is the thing. If he had a Spanish/French mother, I'd be more worried we'd lose him but nobody born and reared in Ireland (or at least the 26 counties) would ever pull on an English jersey. It would be considered a massive betrayal given the history. Even Grealish is looked down on in Ireland for picking England and he was born and raised in England to two English parents!

FlawlessThaw

Eoin Morgan. He has an English mother as well.

Honestly I don't think you have anything to worry about concerning Ferguson. I don't see him picking England whatsoever as he is quite clearly Irish. It was obviously different with Rice and Grealish as their links were nominal and rarely go back to Ireland.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Hes already made his senior Debut for Ireland and zero chance he will pick England.

lets hope he turns into a decent senior player that we can get excited about - Ireland could do with a goal scorer

TheReligion

Abusive
If he develops as much as people suspect he will fancy playing at the Euros and World Cup.

England it is. Do his mother proud.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
If he develops as much as people suspect he will fancy playing at the Euros and World Cup.

England it is. Do his mother proud.
Suppose he is white so wouldn't have to worry about the racist abuse from the English fans for daring to miss a pen at those tournaments so it could work.

FlawlessThaw

I guess us Irish fans can be grateful to Jack Grealish for one thing. Demonstrating what a terrible decision it would be for Ferguson to follow his lead.
I think terrible decision is a bit much. He's played in World Cups and Euros and the off field monetary gain and popularity wouldn't have happened if he hadn't decided to go with England. I am not even sure if he would be playing for City if hadn't made the switch or at least wouldn't have cost them the amount he did.

Oranges038

I think this is the thing. If he had a Spanish/French mother, I'd be more worried we'd lose him but nobody born and reared in Ireland (or at least the 26 counties) would ever pull on an English jersey. It would be considered a massive betrayal given the history. Even Grealish is looked down on in Ireland for picking England and he was born and raised in England to two English parents!
Nobody would have gave a crap if he just stated he wanted to play England from the outset. Same goes for Rice. Both only decided to switch when they realised they had a good chance of actually getting a game for England.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think terrible decision is a bit much. He's played in World Cups and Euros and the off field monetary gain and popularity wouldn't have happened if he hadn't decided to go with England. I am not even sure if he would be playing for City if hadn't made the switch or at least wouldn't have cost them the amount he did.
It’s still (relatively) early days but his international career has not been going well at all. Of course, this also coincides with a truly terrible Ireland national team but you’d have to wonder what sort of transformative effect Grealish might have had? There’s a lot to be said for being a big fish in a small pond. Something he is also finding out at club level.

TheReligion

Abusive
You never know.

If he wants to be a megastar and the option to play for England is on the table it’s a no brainier.

Haaland will be wishing he opted for his birth country at the moment but at least Norway have some half decent talents. Ireland is career suicide at the moment.

FlawlessThaw

It’s still (relatively) early days but his international career has not been going well at all. Of course, this also coincides with a truly terrible Ireland national team but you’d have to wonder what sort of transformative effect Grealish might have had? There’s a lot to be said for being a big fish in a small pond. Something he is also finding out at club level.
I guess it depends on what he would want, same as with club football. Be a part of a team that's involved in the Champions League and the chance to be a global superstar or just one that's either midtable or avoiding relegation but would be the so-called best player.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Its unbelievable that the little Englanders cannot begin to understand that someone would choose the country they identify with over the mighty England.

Most people have pride in their country and will always choose the country they identify with first. Probably still pig sick over Haaland.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I guess it depends on what he would want, same as with club football. Be a part of a team that's involved in the Champions League and the chance to be a global superstar or just one that's either midtable or avoiding relegation but would be the so-called best player.
I think for most footballer priority number one is playing in as many matches as possible. Nobody likes sitting on the bench. If you can be a guaranteed starter and the main man in getting your club/country to over-achieve that’s surely more rewarding than a bit part player at a big club/national team?

cyberman

Or play for the countey he co was from? This is why international football is fecked. Oh he grew up there and feels English, that’s why it’s ok that we took this full Irish international and now onto this Champions League line of thinking.
Football coaching is improving around the world as well as the scouting. More young players are going to be brought over from smaller countries with the vultures circling like this. It’s only going to get worse.

FlawlessThaw

I think for most footballer priority number one is playing in as many matches as possible. Nobody likes sitting on the bench. If you can be a guaranteed starter and the main man in getting your club/country to over-achieve that’s surely more rewarding than a bit part player at a big club/national team.
I think that is true to an extent for club football though would Antony right now be preferring to be at back at Ajax with a guaranteed spot or in and out of the United side. Where you play and who you play for matters more I would say.

For International football it gets complicated because you could be in a World Cup squad with potential to play or just sat at home because your team can't qualify, I would say the former is better.

BerryBerryShrew

You never know.

If he wants to be a megastar and the option to play for England is on the table it’s a no brainier.

Haaland will be wishing he opted for his birth country at the moment but at least Norway have some half decent talents. Ireland is career suicide at the moment.
But surely the fact that Haaland is a megastar in spite of playing for Norway sort of negates your point that you must play for a major nation to be a megastar?

Also, most Irish people dream of playing for Ireland. I'm not terribly patriotic but I'd rather struggle to qualify for an international tournament with my country than win a WC with another country. Even another country that I like (such as Italy). Definitely not a country that the historical enemy of my own.

TheReligion

Abusive
But surely the fact that Haaland is a megastar in spite of playing for Norway sort of negates your point that you must play for a major nation to be a megastar?

Also, most Irish people dream of playing for Ireland. I'm not terribly patriotic but I'd rather struggle to qualify for an international tournament with my country than win a WC with another country. Even another country that I like (such as Italy). Definitely not a country that the historical enemy of my own.
If he’s got an English mother though he’s half English.

Can see why he’d go with his mum. Both head and heart.

Could go either way but I’m sure he’ll be advised to have the conversation with England.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think that is true to an extent for club football though would Antony right now be preferring to be at back at Ajax with a guaranteed spot or in and out of the United side. Where you play and who you play for matters more I would say.

For International football it gets complicated because you could be in a World Cup squad with potential to play or just sat at home because your team can't qualify, I would say the former is better.
Yeah, I guess so. Although there are plenty of Irish footballers over the years who got to play in Euros/World Cups.

Anyhoo. This is all a bit of a moot point. Choosing which country to play for is usually based on deeper emotions than the sort of cynical decision that Grealish made. And, to be fair to him, being born and raised in England will have made him feel a hell of a lot more English than Ferguson ever will.

Players will typically only be opportunistic re international teams when they’ve no hope of international football otherwise. This doesn’t apply here and there’s more or less zero chance of Ferguson choosing to play for a country that he doesn’t identify with.