Evan Ferguson - Top Irish Prospect

next_number_seven

Why didn't we sign him when he was on a trial here a-few years back!
Lots of young Irish players turn down the bigger clubs cos they know it's an easier route to the first team in smaller clubs.

So it's possible he turned us down. I heard he turned down Liverpool, but who knows really

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I hope this means we’ll still go after a world class striker like Kane or Osimhen and not another 30+ yr old stop gap option like Cavani just because we’re looking to bring Ferguson in.
Probably depends on the ownership situation, to the tune of something like...

Qatar: Ferguson and Osimhen
Ineos: Ferguson and Kane
Glazers: Ferguson and Michy Batshuayi on loan

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
How is his overall ability?

Not just scoring goals.

I heard he was a fan of Rooney - does he play as all rounded as someone similar?

Robbie Boy

Lots of young Irish players turn down the bigger clubs cos they know it's an easier route to the first team in smaller clubs.

So it's possible he turned us down. I heard he turned down Liverpool, but who knows really
He said himself he turned down Liverpool for Brighton. I do think Brighton was a fantastic choice for him, and I believe his father played a big role in his choice of club.

I think we may have had him on trial a wee bit before that, though. No idea how it all went.

next_number_seven

Not just scoring goals.

I heard he was a fan of Rooney - does he play as all rounded as someone similar?
Not as explosive as Rooney but he's quick and agile enough.

Good link up play.

He seems to have a bit of everything.
Not unlike Benzema or Giroud maybe, but perhaps not as technical

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Oscar Bonavena

Not just scoring goals.

From what I've seen of him, has good movement and gets himself in good goalscoring positions. Links up play well.

Doesn't have great pace. He played up front on his own for Ireland v France recently (obviously a tough gig) but never offered any threat in behind. Obviously is more effective with faster, more skilful players around him such as Mitoma, March, MacAllister at Brighton.

To be fair to the lad, he's not in the same league as Rooney at the same age but not many are.

croadyman

From what I've seen of him, has good movement and gets himself in good goalscoring positions. Links up play well.

Doesn't have great pace. He played up front on his own for Ireland v France recently (obviously a tough gig) but never offered any threat in behind. Obviously is more effective with faster, more skilful players around him such as Mitoma, March, MacAllister at Brighton.

To be fair to the lad, he's not in the same league as Rooney at the same age but not many are.
So if he lacks pace surely we need to sign a starter striker who is the opposite of that

Drizzle

He's more Kane than Rooney
These are big names being thrown about. I doubt he'll get anywhere near those levels, but let's see.

Personally I see a bit of a young Mark Hughes about him. Strong, clever on the ball, a little bit unorthodox. Not particularly fast.

RobbieBerns

He’s got an incredibly well rounded game and a really high football IQ for an 18 y/o. Just went off injured against Chelsea but they were completely unable to handle his off the ball movement in the first half. His technique and touch are top notch as well, he’s brilliant in the build up play especially for a boy in a grown man’s body.

Irwin99

He’s got an incredibly well rounded game and a really high football IQ for an 18 y/o. Just went off injured against Chelsea but they were completely unable to handle his off the ball movement in the first half. His technique and touch are top notch as well, he’s brilliant in the build up play especially for a boy in a grown man’s body.
Wonder if he could play the 10 role if we get him and a more experienced striker?

It's unlikely I know but I can see Spurs being aggressive in their attempts to keep Harry Kane (probably demand a ridiculous fee) and I wonder if the club might look to pick him up on a free the following year and buy someone like Ferguson for the meantime.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was class for 30 mins before being forced off injured today.

PoTMS

Hopefully for our sake, he's out for next week. He could be some player if he fulfills his potential.

RobbieBerns

Wonder if he could play the 10 role if we get him and a more experienced striker?

It's unlikely I know but I can see Spurs being aggressive in their attempts to keep Harry Kane (probably demand a ridiculous fee) and I wonder if the club might look to pick him up on a free the following year and buy someone like Ferguson for the meantime.
Honestly if funds are tight this summer I wouldn’t mind Ferguson as our only striker we bring in. Far from ideal but if you look at it as a like for like swap Ferguson for Weghorst that’s still an absolutely massive upgrade.

Red00012

He must be gutted if it keeps him out of the game next weekend . I was kind of looking forward to seeing how he played Against us

redcucumber

Get him. Mental that he's 18. He's consistently impressing in the PL. Ramos, Osimhen, Hojlund etc will all cost similar amounts (more in the case of Osimhen) and there's that risk of not knowing how they'll take to English football. Ferguson is tailor-made for it.

galwayfa

Watching match of the day, I think its a peno, defender takes him out and he lands awkwardly

kidbob

He's not ready yet and he needs to stay at Brighton at least one more year. I'm hopeful the team around him are smart enough to do that.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Reminds me a bit about Rooney in how he has incredible physique for top level football at just 18.

He should stay at Brighton another year if they get europa. Then take his pick of clubs next summer.

kidbob

I blame that dirty cnut, Fabinho.
Agreed. Such a fecking awful tackle. Of course he wasn't sent off for it too.

I have huge hopes for Ferguson so hopefully his ankle won't be an ongoing issue long term and, for me, hopefully he avoids the move to a big club for another while. He is amazing but he isn't Rooney at 18 amazing. Another year at Brighton with a good team and manager would be huge for him.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
He's not ready yet and he needs to stay at Brighton at least one more year. I'm hopeful the team around him are smart enough to do that.
From an Irish perspective I’d also prefer that he stays at Brighton for another year, but I disagree with the notion that he’s not ready yet. And that’s for two reasons: i) the guy just has the aura of an elite player, and ii) you have to compare him to the forward options that United already have. In which case he is ready.

redcucumber

In an ideal world he'd have another season at Brighton as their main man with the expectation that carries, but with talents like Ferguson you get them if there's a chance of it happening. We need a forward, he's already showing he can cut it in the PL, and you'd back ten Hag to aid his development in the right way. Don't think it'll happen with him this summer as Brighton will want to dig their heels in, but I'm apprehensive about spending 90 odd million plus on Ramos, Hojljund and Osimhen when Ferguson is doing it in the PL.

mav_9me

From an Irish perspective I’d also prefer that he stays at Brighton for another year, but I disagree with the notion that he’s not ready yet. And that’s for two reasons: i) the guy just has the aura of an elite player, and ii) you have to compare him to the forward options that United already have. In which case he is ready.
No. You have to compare him to the forward options we can buy, Kane, Osihmen, Ramos etc. You can't buy an 18 y/o striker and then criticize ETH when he isn't in a title race. (Not that you will)

I don't mind if we bought Ferguson only. That would influence my expectations though but other fans will ask for his sacking, if he can't be in a title race with an 18 y/o leading the line.

No. You have to compare him to the forward options we can buy, Kane, Osihmen, Ramos etc. You can't buy an 18 y/o striker and then criticize ETH when he isn't in a title race. (Not that you will)

I don't mind if we bought Ferguson only. That would influence my expectations though but other fans will ask for his sacking, if he can't be in a title race with an 18 y/o leading the line.
Don't say that to Patrick Kluivert.

CM

This boy looks special. It's a shame for him that he's going to miss the game next weekend but probably quite handy for us. Hopefully it won't be a long-term problem for him.