Evan Ndicka | signs for Roma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Is this like the Kamara obsession all over again? Where we are ‘stupid, badly run’ and the rest of it for not being interested in a player we have no interest in but is out of contract?

King Kendrick

Is this like the Kamara obsession all over again? Where we are ‘stupid, badly run’ and the rest of it for not being interested in a player we have no interest in but is out of contract?
Can’t tell if serious or not, but even though there are some questions w/r/t fit in a back 4, along the usual fitting in issues, I think it’s a no brainer to sign young, talented players on frees. Worst case, if they don’t fit, send them out on loan and sell for a small profit, which actually would give us even more room for transfers via FFP and it’s amortization process.

Erik the Red

Can’t tell if serious or not, but even though there are some questions w/r/t fit in a back 4, along the usual fitting in issues, I think it’s a no brainer to sign young, talented players on frees. Worst case, if they don’t fit, send them out on loan and sell for a small profit, which actually would give us even more room for transfers via FFP and it’s amortization process.
This is Barcelona's approach. They brought in Kessie on a free, even though they had Buscuits, FDJ, Gavi and Pedro all ahead of him. If they keep hold of FDJ, I wouldn't be shocked to see them sell Kessie for a small profit. This approach provides the team with a high quality squad option, and a small profit at the end of the year, whilst the player gets to add a good name on the CV, and potentially pick up some silverware. I think it is a tactic we should utilise more, and I wouldn't be surprised if ETH doesn't bring in one or two players on a free this summer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It never makes sense to sign players you don’t want. If the players you want happen to be free, that’s excellent. But if your scouts and observations are unimpressed with a player, then signing him would be ridiculous just because you can loan or sell them.

JohnnyLaw

What obsession?
You’re posting this in a year old thread of only four pages worth of interest.
Haven’t seen a single post of anyone taking the club to task over our seeming lack of interest so maybe just calm down a bit?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What obsession?
You’re posting this in a year old thread of only four pages worth of interest.
Haven’t seen a single post of anyone taking the club to task over our seeming lack of interest so maybe just calm down a bit?
The obsession was about Kamara, as mentioned. The question was whether this will become a repeat of that.

King Kendrick

It never makes sense to sign players you don’t want. If the players you want happen to be free, that’s excellent. But if your scouts and observations are unimpressed with a player, then signing him would be ridiculous just because you can loan or sell them.
I would assume we would be in for him due to being a left footed defender who’s young but already a pretty good defender on and off the ball, who would be an excellent squad option with the potential to become a starter at United level. Even players that we want though fail for a number of reasons (AdM, BFS, Heno alone are 3 different reasons.) I’m not saying sign anyone for the sake of it, but talented players on frees should be snapped up assuming their playing profile meshes with what we have, and as previously stated, besides for the back 4 v back 5, hes shown he would be a good squad option for next season. After next season, if management doesn’t think he’s good enough, you sell or loan with obligation and receive a decent compensation plus a big boost for FFP calcs since the entire fee is considered profit.

King Kendrick

This is Barcelona's approach. They brought in Kessie on a free, even though they had Buscuits, FDJ, Gavi and Pedro all ahead of him. If they keep hold of FDJ, I wouldn't be shocked to see them sell Kessie for a small profit. This approach provides the team with a high quality squad option, and a small profit at the end of the year, whilst the player gets to add a good name on the CV, and potentially pick up some silverware. I think it is a tactic we should utilise more, and I wouldn't be surprised if ETH doesn't bring in one or two players on a free this summer.
It’s also hit and miss though (Memphis, Auba). I think we should be aiming for our target profiles, if there’s a young talent who matches and has an expiring contract, bring them in. I think Ndicka ticks all the boxes and could easily be moved for £10-15m the following summer if it doesn’t work out, assuming no Maguire level catastrophe.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
The obsession was about Kamara, as mentioned. The question was whether this will become a repeat of that.
In so much as he’s free but we won’t sign him, very possibly just to wum caf posters who have signed him on FM and are convinced he’s the next Maldini, I think you are probably right. Kamara thing was weird.

JohnnyLaw

You were questioning wether it ”is” like that, which it clearly isn’t. Just thought your post came off as needlessly aggressive.

Besides, Villa fans don’t seem displeased with Kamara at all. Checking the Villa talk forum some are even calling him their best player at 23 years old.

It’s not like we’d have had no use for a guy like him deputising Casemiro just like bringing in a young talented deputy to Martinez for free doesn’t seem like a dumb idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.