Everton 2022/23 | Dyche Dyche baby

Oranges038

A few days late.

He just missed out on Chris Wood.

Interesting to see how this turns out.

TheReligion

Abusive
Boring but the sensible choice. Everton fans won’t be excited but I feels like the right appointment under the circumstances.

I would say it’s a worry he’s clearly been the last option and not who the board really wanted.

There’s clearly no philosophy, style or plan behind the scenes @SilentWitness.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Boring but the sensible choice. Everton fans won’t be excited but I feels like the right appointment under the circumstances.

I would say it’s a worry he’s clearly been the last option and not who the board really wanted.

There’s clearly no philosophy, style or plan behind the scenes @SilentWitness.
It was either him or Bielsa as the frontrunners. I suppose you could argue there is no clear philosophy or style at the club because that's kind of where we are at as a club, we are at step 1 again where we need to reset and rebuild. Either options would give a different philosophy or style to mould and plan into. At least with this appointment you have a manager who has a set style of playing and understanding of how to play it. Lampard was always learning on the job which had its issues. With Dyche that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, Howe was absolutely shite defensively when he left Bournemouth but went away and studied and now Newcastle have one of the best records in the world defensively. Perhaps Dyche has done the same in terms of attacking play. We won't know until he gets started.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Bielsa was the exotic appointment, Dyche perhaps the more practical one. Bielsa probably would have been Moshiri's preferred appointment but who knows what's going on at Everton.

TheReligion

Abusive
It was either him or Bielsa as the frontrunners. I suppose you could argue there is no clear philosophy or style at the club because that's kind of where we are at as a club, we are at step 1 again where we need to reset and rebuild. Either options would give a different philosophy or style to mould and plan into. At least with this appointment you have a manager who has a set style of playing and understanding of how to play it. Lampard was always learning on the job which had its issues. With Dyche that shouldn't be a problem.
I think Dyche is the right appointment for now if you want to stay up. Just seems a real scattergun approach which is odd when you have a DoF in place and everything should be aligned to make a seamless transition.

I assume Dyche will be on a longer term contract and will be at the club next season. The positive would be he gives you the best chance of survival now and is well qualified in the Championship should the worst happen.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think Dyche is the right appointment for now if you want to stay up. Just seems a real scattergun approach which is odd when you have a DoF in place and everything should be aligned to make a seamless transition.

I assume Dyche will be on a longer term contract and will be at the club next season. The positive would be he gives you the best chance of survival now and is well qualified in the Championship should the worst happen.
When Thelwell came into the club it was at a time when there was a review of the club and way it was operating. He's had to completely change the structure of the club and that structural change is still ongoing. I wouldn't say it is scattergun, more a reflection of where the club is right now, at the end/beginning of a stage in their life where things aren't so linear.

TheReligion

Abusive
When Thelwell came into the club it was at a time when there was a review of the club and way it was operating. He's had to completely change the structure of the club and that structural change is still ongoing. I wouldn't say it is scattergun, more a reflection of where the club is right now, at the end/beginning of a stage in their life where things aren't so linear.
I don’t know. Surely it doesn’t take long to settle on an identity, play style and recruitment plan?

I think it’s just odd, although unsurprising, that the candidates have been so different. It seems Thelwell is being undermined as there’s zero chance Dyche was top of his list of preferred managers.
The disconnect in everything is very concerning.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don’t know. Surely it doesn’t take long to settle on an identity, play style and recruitment plan?

I think it’s just odd, although unsurprising, that the candidates have been so different. It seems Thelwell is being undermined as there’s zero chance Dyche was top of his list of preferred managers.
The disconnect in everything is very concerning.
I think it does when you're a club with the issues that Everton have and are in a relegation battle. I'd rather play good football and choose a different option but in the eyes of the club we are in a position where you can't just decide to stick to something if it isn't working. I think it's clear we tried with Frank to stick with it and give him a set up to guide with his philosophy but it wasn't working. You can't just stick to that if you think you'll go down because it is what is 'settled'. Everton have far more to lose if they go down than clubs like Bournemouth etc. We aren't in the position of Brighton where it was easy to have identity, play style and recruitment plan and move from Potter to De Zerbi because they were wise in all aspects of their policy and didn't have the issues of the past looming over them and are ascending, not descending. Thelwell has only been in the job for a year and he's had to change a lot. It is a complete rebuild, it's not as simple as settling when part of that rebuilding means you could have a situation like this.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think it does when you're a club with the issues that Everton have and are in a relegation battle. I'd rather play good football and choose a different option but in the eyes of the club we are in a position where you can't just decide to stick to something if it isn't working. I think it's clear we tried with Frank to stick with it and give him a set up to guide with his philosophy but it wasn't working. You can't just stick to that if you think you'll go down because it is what is 'settled'. Everton have far more to lose if they go down than clubs like Bournemouth etc. We aren't in the position of Brighton where it was easy to have identity, play style and recruitment plan and move from Potter to De Zerbi because they were wise in all aspects of their policy and didn't have the issues of the past looming over them and are ascending, not descending. Thelwell has only been in the job for a year and he's had to change a lot. It is a complete rebuild, it's not as simple as settling when part of that rebuilding means you could have a situation like this.
Thelwell has been there a year as you say which begs the question as to why Moshiri is trying to hire Bielsa (reported as his choice).

Thelwell clearly isn’t being given full autonomy in running operations and 12 months in it’s still not functioning as it should.

Players should be being bought and developed for a set style and the coach and club philosophy should align. That makes the process of identifying and bringing in a new coach quite simple however from the way this has panned out it’s again been all over the place with ultimately Dyche getting the nod.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Thelwell has been there a year as you say which begs the question as to why Moshiri is trying to hire Bielsa (reported as his choice).

Thelwell clearly isn’t being given full autonomy in running operations and 12 months in it’s still not functioning as it should.

Players should be being bought and developed for a set style and the coach and club philosophy should align. That makes the process of identifying and bringing in a new coach quite simple however from the way this has panned out it’s again been all over the place with ultimately Dyche getting the nod.
You're saying the same stuff. People know that it should all align but Everton is not a functional club at the moment. We are still in the period of transition through Thelwell. It's daft to think that Thelwell can sort out all the problems and get us set up as a completely functional setup with a similar alignment within that year with all the issues we have and have had. It's going to be a 3+ year project.
Is it true Anthony Gordon has skipped training today a several times this week by the way @SilentWitness ?
yes.

TheReligion

Abusive
You're saying the same stuff. People know that it should all align but Everton is not a functional club at the moment. We are still in the period of transition through Thelwell. It's daft to think that Thelwell can sort out all the problems and get us set up as a completely functional setup with a similar alignment within that year with all the issues we have and have had. It's going to be a 3+ year project.

yes.
I know what you’re saying with Thelwell and I don’t blame him but if 12 months on Moshiri is still going to interfere I don’t see what hope you have moving forward if I’m honest.

Can you honestly say the squad has transitioned to a Thelwell philosophy? And that Dyche fits that?

I could see him walking.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'd prefer him to Bielsa but he will be another manager need replacing in 18 months

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know what you’re saying with Thelwell and I don’t blame him but if 12 months on Moshiri is still going to interfere I don’t see what hope you have moving forward if I’m honest.

Can you honestly say the squad has transitioned to a Thelwell philosophy? And that Dyche fits that?

I could see him walking.
Everything we read and take from situations in football is taken from the media who we know sometimes tell the truth but also lie a lot too. We don't know what's going on. As someone who has been watching the club now for c. 20 years all i can see from it is that we are in a position now where we are in need of a rebuild from top to bottom and as part of that you're going to have periods or a period at the start where the situation is not as linear as picking a style and sticking with it no matter what. You're going to have to adapt and change dependent on what happens in serious situations such as a relegation battle.

TheReligion

Abusive
Everything we read and take from situations in football is taken from the media who we know sometimes tell the truth but also lie a lot too. We don't know what's going on. As someone who has been watching the club now for c. 20 years all i can see from it is that we are in a position now where we are in need of a rebuild from top to bottom and as part of that you're going to have periods or a period at the start where the situation is not as linear as picking a style and sticking with it no matter what. You're going to have to adapt and change dependent on what happens in serious situations such as a relegation battle.
I wish Everton well and certainly don’t want the club to go down. I have a few good friends who are avid Evertonians and I really feel for them.

From the outside looking in though there’s clearly huge issues with Moshiri in terms of interference with footballing matters. I’d say this again shows he’s unwilling, or unable, to take a backseat in the process.

That for me would be a big worry because if he doesn’t change or sell up then it feels like you’ll not break the chaos.

GMoore23

Dyche is the sensible choice for the short term at least. Bielsa would've guaranteed relegation with his gung ho tactics.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Bielsa wanted to manage the u21’s but not the first team? :lol:

I absolutely adore Bielsa.

Essentially saying I will work with a group of players away from the spotlight to implement my own style and then integrate the seniors after the summer break but using the youth system as the foundational aspect because they will still be here whatever happens at senior level.

Everton are idiots for not taking that imo.

phelans shorts

Essentially saying I will work with a group of players away from the spotlight to implement my own style and then integrate the seniors after the summer break but using the youth system as the foundational aspect because they will still be here whatever happens at senior level.

You’d have to be an idiot to agree to it to be honest.

The idea is noble, but they need a manager for the first team. Unless Bielsa is going to forgo his first team manager wages for the rest of the season why would you bring in a first team manager to not do his job?

How are you going to find a manager to do the job until he feels ready to step up? That’s how you end up with jokers like Rangnick in a role

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I wish Everton well and certainly don’t want the club to go down. I have a few good friends who are avid Evertonians and I really feel for them.

From the outside looking in though there’s clearly huge issues with Moshiri in terms of interference with footballing matters. I’d say this again shows he’s unwilling, or unable, to take a backseat in the process.

That for me would be a big worry because if he doesn’t change or sell up then it feels like you’ll not break the chaos.
It is his money, not the money of Thelwell or whoever is the DoF so he can't take a complete backseat and I doubt there are many, if any owners that do. Yes, I think Moshiri needs to take more of a backseat and leave footballing decisions to the DoF but I think the past two transfer windows (This and the summer) have shown he has a bit. Still needs to more so but it won't just change overnight.

Brophs

The One and Only

:lol:
But it’s an interview for the first team manager’s job. He can’t just go off doing rondos with the 21s for 6 months while the first team gets relegated.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
this is a sensible appointment, id fancy them to be ok now with Dyche in charge. Suddenly the merseyside derby will be making Klopp worried. Everyone has a lot of time for Bielsa and he done a good job with Leeds but unless Everton a willing to accept relegation and a firestorm rebuild he is the not right (at this time).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

The idea is noble, but they need a manager for the first team. Unless Bielsa is going to forgo his first team manager wages for the rest of the season why would you bring in a first team manager to not do his job?

How are you going to find a manager to do the job until he feels ready to step up? That’s how you end up with jokers like Rangnick in a role
Yeah, not sure how you can read that and say we are the idiots in that situation. If we are mid-table and fairly comfortable then perhaps you'd consider it a bit more (but even then it would be daft) but we are in a serious relegation battle. We can't just let a manager decide he's happy working with the U-21s for 6 months before he takes over. That's mad.

phelans shorts

Yeah, not sure how you can read that and say we are the idiots in that situation. If we are mid-table and fairly comfortable then perhaps you'd consider it a bit more (but even then it would be daft) but we are in a serious relegation battle. We can't just let a manager decide he's happy working with the U-21s for 6 months before he takes over. That's mad.
Yeah, if you’re comfortable and your current manager has announced they’re retiring end of the season or whatever I makes a modicum of sense, but in this situation it’s absolutely insane

Rockets Redglare

They don’t have the time for that, and he would expect big money.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

To be honest, I think Everton are in terrible shape long term and I think relegation would actually be a bit of a blessing for them long term so I wouldn't care who you get in to do the first team job. Someone would want it to put themselves in the shop window for 6 months.

caid

Think its a good choice.
But i'd probably want to replace him in 6 months, which would probably be expensive and not very financially responsible. I dont think i'd be enthusiastic about watching a team built by Dyche every week. I guess its a bit of a beggars cant be choosers situation.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Everton literally launched Alardyce for playing shit on a stick football and Everton fans complained in unison about the quality of football under Benitez. It beggars belief that they think is going to work out well for them.

Blood Mage

Correct decision by Everton for a change, appointing Bielsa while in a relegation battle would've been madness.