Everton 2022/23 | Dyche Dyche baby

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
After the many many lows of last season culminating in one of the most emotional games of football I've seen as an Everton fan which led to the ultimate high of the season, the transfer window has begun in a way which can only be described as a sharp return to reality for a blue currently.

Richarlison leaving for a poor fee if you're an Everton supporter is another blow to our attacking outlet but also a blow to the club and fans as they are losing a player who gave their all for Everton on the pitch and won over every blue off it. The fee, 50m + 10m add-ons if to be believed is terrible from our perspective. We are losing our best player, the player who provides the most to our attacking output and one of the few players in our squad that works their arse off and offers just as much defensively as they do when they're going forward. The sell on fee % we have with Watford bites us even further as we stand to lose 5-6m of the fee to them. Our financial situation and our failure to progress anywhere (As it was with Lukaku, Stones etc.) has meant that we are once again losing an exceptional player, but this time we are losing them and stand to recoup very little in reflection to their value to us and the squad.

The deal puts pressure on a lot of parties. Before the 21/22 season our top creators in the squad were Digne, Rodriguez and Gylfi. Last season we had lost two of them before we kicked off. We lost Digne midway through the season. From having a good semblance of creativity in the side we suddenly had none. Along with their creativity, Gylfi added goals. Aside from him the only players in our squad adding a good number of goals has been DCL and Richy. We are losing Richy. Now we only have DCL.

This is going to be a career definining season for DCL. Troubled by injuries last year he has immense pressure to stay fit and carry our squad on goals. I value him highly and last season at times we were desperately missing someone of his ilk. We needed someone up top to alleviate pressure by being able to hold the ball up or win battles in the air high up the pitch when our defenders were clearing it. I don't doubt that with Gordon or Gray fizzing in low balls he can hit 10+ goals again. It's just a question of his fitness and that isn't something we can rely on.

Anthony fecking Gordon. I don't think many Everton fans believed he would have hit the heights that he did last season and the potential he has is incredible. You could see toward the end of the season he was struggling for fitness as it was his first full professional season but he made a good contribution to the side through his work rate and the signs are clear that he can go to the top if he keeps grafting and adds to his G + A tally. He will likely move to the left when Richy leaves which is his natural position.

The recruitment is absolutely key this summer and is going to be the difference between relegation and otherwise. As noted, losing key contributers to our attack led to a lacklustre season that was devoid of creativity and goals. We relied on Richarlison bailing us out too often and that's not going to be there next season so we need to address those issues promptly or it's going to be a difficult season that may end in further heartbreak.

So who are we targeting?

We appear to have a Tarkowski deal finalised and we are waiting for his contract to finish with Burnley before we announce the deal. We also appear to be very interested in Winks which I am not delighted with. I think on loan it would be a decent deal as it's clear Lampard wanted to play with a style which focused on having a functional midfield that could play decent football and the only reason we bypassed that was because our own players weren't capable. I don't think Winks has much room to improve but a short term deal would allow Lampard to start playing the football he wishes to, the squad would gel to that style and then the season after we can bring in a player on a perm that is better and has more room to improve. I also don't want to spend 20m on a player that has little resale value or potential when we have little money to spend, it would be a poor deal.

Dennis, Cornet, Gallagher, Gilmour, Lewis-Potter and Zinchenko have been the strongest thus far. I'd be delighted if we signed Zinchenko and Gallagher. They would elevate our midfield hugely and the relationship Zinchenko has with Mykolenko as seen with Ukraine would be fantastic. We need more energy in the side but also a midfield that can create and score goals and both of them would add that. Dennis apparently has character issues which worries me slightly but his contribution is fantastic on the pitch. 10 goals and 6 assists in a terrible Watford side shows that he has value and at ~20m he has the potential to sell for further in the future. We are in a very difficult position where we don't have the muscle to compete for signings. If we are interested in someone we don't have a lot of room to budge so we have to hope they want to sign + no other teams compete.

Aside from Richarlison we are trying to shift Kean, Gomes and possibly Mina. That will free up the wage bill immensely and potentially garner ~30-40m.

In other news we have been restructuring the backroom staff. Our new DoF is making some good noise and we've brought people like Baines into the club as an U-18 coach. There are rumours of a potential takeover which is led by Kenyon that is encouraging due to his previous experience in football and the success he's had. Watch this space.

Overall I am quite nervous for this season. A lot rests on our signings.

RonaldoVII

I'll be surprised if Lampard makes it to Christmas. Be interesting to see if Rooney gets back into management or keeps an eye on things.

Oranges038

Be pretty much the same as every other Everton season since Moyes.

I'm opting for regurgitation.

Tomics

I don't think 50m + 10m for Richarlison is a poor fee. Everton will definitely avoid relegation.

I fear another relegation battle, you need some good quality players. Your recruitment has been very dodgy over the years you need to get it right this time.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think 50m + 10m for Richarlison is a poor fee. Everton will definitely avoid relegation.
It is when you consider his value to us, the sell on fee attached to the deal and the current market.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
I don't understand where 'definitely will avoid relegation' comes from, tbh. The squad is really poor without Richarlison. The jury is still massively out on Lampard. The Goodison crowd helped a lot at the end of last season, but will the same dogged support appear if it becomes obvious last season wasn't an out-of-the-blue disaster and that, actually, it's going to be multiple seasons of battling relegation ahead?

Everton basically need to nail every signing because at the moment they've got the look about them of post-Benteke Villa. Staying up miraculously one season despite looking really poor throughout, only to then sell their main goalscorer and become the worst team in the league, relegated by February, the next.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Top half.
Who above out of interest?

Newcastle finished bottom half in the end but their form from Jan onwards was pretty much top 6 standard so can't see them finishing that low again with what they'll be spending.

West Ham finished 7th despite getting to europa SF so shown they can compete in different competitions even without biggest squad. Leicester had terrible injury run and also got to europa SF but actually got 8th in the end.

We finished 14th in the end but have already signed some good players from europe and Gerrard will be under big pressure if we make a poor start.

So I'd say the task for Everton in their present state to even finish 10th feels near impossible and not sure Lampard will see out the season.

Don't think they'll be as close to bottom teams as last year but 13th/14th feels right unless they pull off some really good transfers.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't understand where 'definitely will avoid relegation' comes from, tbh. The squad is really poor without Richarlison. The jury is still massively out on Lampard. The Goodison crowd helped a lot at the end of last season, but will the same dogged support appear if it becomes obvious last season wasn't an out-of-the-blue disaster and that, actually, it's going to be multiple seasons of battling relegation ahead?

Everton basically need to nail every signing because at the moment they've got the look about them of post-Benteke Villa. Staying up miraculously one season despite looking really poor throughout, only to then sell their main goalscorer and become the worst team in the league, relegated by February, the next.
I think it's that, their home form.

Feels like the whole Everton squad only started looking seriously at the table from early April but they finished their home run beating Newcastle, Man. United, Chelsea and Palace which was pretty good going and they would've done the same to Brentford if they'd hadn't had that young CB sent off after 20 minutes.

Only need to win 6-7 home games to stay up usually so at same point during the season Goodison crowd will start throwing flares onto the pitch and away teams will start to wilt as Chelsea and Palace certainly did in the run in.

I actually think Fulham will stay up and if they sign well Forest could aswell so don't think it's as simple as the three promoted will go straight back down to let Everton off the hook but think there's a couple who'll struggle more than them, Southampton were terrible end of last season and Brentford will struggle to replace Eriksen so they'll have a tougher second season up. Leeds losing Phillips + Raphinha puts them in serious relegation danger aswell regardless of who they sign.

Dazzmondo

For me it feels inevitable that Rooney will take over as a last ditch attempt to save them from relegation after Frank has them bottom of the table. I suspect they will still go down and he'll be given the 23/24 season to try to get them promoted again

Oaencha

Without Raphinha they will struggle for goals all season and maybe scrape 16th.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Hi Liverpool, Everton here, can we just give you the 6 league points now and not bother with the games. We may as well let our players roll over at home on those match days rather than them do it in Public.

Kind Regards
Everton

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I'm not too confident that Lampard is capable of making Everton competitive and I think they will struggle again.

Schmeichel=God

Had to sell didn't you. In those circumstances 60 isn't bad. 40 would have been. Mane went for 30ish in different desperate sell circumstances. It could have been worse.

For Richy though..poor guy, could have gone to Barcelona, for 80m, not too long ago.

I think Lampard is terrible and called Everton being relegated the moment he was hired. Only just wrong. He's nigh on Ole level. I think he'll be fired circa 3 months in and you'll replace your manager after the world cup.

Depending on who that is I couldn't say if you'll still stay up, as yes the squad is struggling for quality/creativity.

Crazy how you find yourself here though because not too long ago I thought Everton had a shot at stepping up.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Overall I am quite nervous for this season.
Went through your senior squad and it seems you have a lot of Tier 3/4 players. Most of them are not going to the WC. If Frank could get them to run, harrass and press then you have a chance of making huge gains a month before the WC (when big players are afraid of getting injured) and a month after the WC (when big players are still recovering). If you miss out on that I'd put you bottom half but not relegated.

On a side note I noticed Moises Kean is on loan at Juve till 2023. Is that one of those shady deals done for FFP reasons?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Went through your senior squad and it seems you have a lot of Tier 3/4 players. Most of them are not going to the WC. If Frank could get them to run, harrass and press then you have a chance of making huge gains a month before the WC (when big players are afraid of getting injured) and a month after the WC (when big players are still recovering). If you miss out on that I'd put you bottom half but not relegated.

On a side note I noticed Moises Kean is on loan at Juve till 2023. Is that one of those shady deals done for FFP reasons?
I think we genuinely tried to work it out for him at Everton and he just didn’t settle with us sadly. Nobody really wanted him so that was the best deal for us at the time. Rumours are that a few clubs are interested and we are trying to get him to leave on a perm this year.

GlasgowCeltic

Winks would be such an Everton signing, it's like the club only exists to happily hoover up big club dross, be creative ffs

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

A good start to our summer recruitment. I think over the next few weeks we might see one or two movements and then it will go quiet until the latter end of the window.

A good start to our summer recruitment. I think over the next few weeks we might see one or two movements and then it will go quiet until the latter end of the window.
Burnley reunion with Keane? Or will he partner Godfrey?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Burnley reunion with Keane? Or will he partner Godfrey?
I think Mina will be on his way out if people are interested and we will go with Godfrey/Keane in a 2 with Holgate as backup but it wouldn't surprise me either if we played 3 at the back. Will have a better sense in pre-season.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Everton should sign AWB. This will be a transition year, a year where they need to get stuck in and defend well.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Everton should sign AWB. This will be a transition year, a year where they need to get stuck in and defend well.
No thanks. We have Patterson who is very promising and excellent going forward. We are already losing our productivity in Richy so to have two fullbacks that are capable of providing will be great for us.

TheReligion

Abusive
The new sponsor Stake.com is pretty much Championship level. Urghhh. Looks hideous. Bring back NEC or even the Danka wanker special.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Most managers these days require their full backs to be good on the ball & be a threat going forward. Lampard is certainly the kind of manager who likes offence so I would be surprised if Everton are interested in AWB. He may be tricky to move if he can't fit in to ETH's master plan.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not looking pretty for us. 17 days until the season kicks off and we haven't replaced our best player, haven't got any creativity into the squad and our only signing is Tarkowski.

We're trying to get Cornet but are limited by FFP in terms of paying the 17.5m release clause up front so we are trying to do an installment or loan deal which is currently being rejected. Had a few bids rejected for Gibbs-White too.

I think we are targeting the right players but it's going to be a rough window and I'd expect many deals to be made in the last week.

TheReligion

Abusive
Not looking pretty for us. 17 days until the season kicks off and we haven't replaced our best player, haven't got any creativity into the squad and our only signing is Tarkowski.

We're trying to get Cornet but are limited by FFP in terms of paying the 17.5m release clause up front so we are trying to do an installment or loan deal which is currently being rejected. Had a few bids rejected for Gibbs-White too.

I think we are targeting the right players but it's going to be a rough window and I'd expect many deals to be made in the last week.
I think you’re in a world of trouble if you don’t spend on an proven replacement for Richarlison.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think you’re in a world of trouble if you don’t spend on an proven replacement for Richarlison.
I agree but the issue is that because of how poorly Moshiri has run the club we can't bring in 30m+ signings like other teams and we have to do these silly structured deals which you can't buy top calibre players under unless you're in Serie A.

TheReligion

Abusive
I agree but the issue is that because of how poorly Moshiri has run the club we can't bring in 30m+ signings like other teams and we have to do these silly structured deals which you can't buy top calibre players under unless you're in Serie A.
I think you should have been in on some of the business Brentford have been doing.

Keane Lewis-Potter will do well I think and Hickey a good bet. Cornet would be useful though but it seems you’ll be putting a lot on DCL at this rate.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think you should have been in on some of the business Brentford have been doing.

Keane Lewis-Potter will do well I think and Hickey a good bet. Cornet would be useful though but it seems you’ll be putting a lot on DCL at this rate.
16m up front. If we can't pay the 17.5m for Cornet up front then we wouldn't have been able to challenge Brentford at that fee.