Everton 2022/23 | Dyche Dyche baby

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I view this as his first real PL job where we can judge him. Chelsea looked good under him initially before falling away but it’s hard to really know his positives when they have such good players or the negatives when they do seem to have those poor periods under all managers.

Everton have a decent squad, they should be comfortably away from relegation and really top 10, we’ll get to see him with a full preseason and not coming in mid year after Rafa sabotaged the club. I fully expect them to be sacked by Christmas but, in the spirit of fairness, I’ll reserve judgement until we see how they play this season.
Their squad isn't better than Leicester who were 8th last season. Then you have Newcastle who had incredible last four months who finished 11th and since added Nick Pope and Botman. Arguable with Wolves who I think will drop a few places this season. Ourselves down in 14th have added Diego Carlos and Kamara from Marseille, both looked good in pre season and we will have full seasons from Coutinho and Digne aswell so we need to be targeting top half ourselves.

Think Lampard's doing very well if he gets them up to 11th-12th.

visiting villain

Supports
Aston Villa
think they have a bottom 5 by far and possibly the 2nd worst squad in the league.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
From GrandOldTeam on them signing Dwight McNeil
I like the evolution of an Everton transfer story like this, one of them where peoples hearts sink initially and they get all shouty and sweary, then you see the stats and it sinks some more, then you watch a few clips on youtube and are still relatively underwhelmed, then you move to acceptance of Evertons position in the pecking order and convince yourself you've signed the answer to multiple problems in the squad.

The hope disappears 3 games in and you revert to your initial opinion.

Robertd0803

I dont think they will get relegated but they wont be finishing comfortably. I reckon last season will have given them a massive fright and they wont want to repeating that again.

Selling Richarlison for pretty cheap all things considered was not a good idea.

GoldanoGraham

Tough season ahead. Could really struggle to stay up this season. Very imbalanced poor squad and doesn’t look like much happening to help Frank either.

MUFC OK

Relegation battle again. Screwed by FFP and Lampard simply doesn't have the answers at PL level. Expect he might not finish the season as manager.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
McNeil is a real throwback signing for us. Young, English and a bunch of potential. Finally we are learning in our transfer strategy it seems.

Dazzmondo

I feel like Everton are definitely going to be in the relegation zone for a significant part of the season. They've lost by far their best player in Richarlison and have an overpaid, ageing and frankly very poor squad. Gordon is definitely one bright spot but you can't put too much pressure on a 21 year old kid. I'd be pretty shocked if Lampard lasts the season. Whether they actually get relegated or not is hard to say, since it will all depend on who they replace Lampard with and if he can bring in new players in January. Everton's recruitment just looks horrible and directionless though. Unless the manager they get has a good knowledge of specific players they could target, it could be really difficult to turn it around. Everton seem to be very limited financially due to FFP also.

Chief123

I wonder if Lampard is regretting taking the job. Tough season ahead having lost their best player.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
McNeil is a real throwback signing for us. Young, English and a bunch of potential. Finally we are learning in our transfer strategy it seems.
Good chance you will be playing 3 ex Burnley players in your starting 11.

Out of outfield players, it's 30% Burnley :D

edcunited1878

If Lampard can drill his team into a proper defensive shape and understand that they have a lack of creators and goalscorers, they stand a chance at being okay...as in bottom half, but not relegated. Everton have to be able to defend, take advantage of transitions when getting possession, and counter attack using Gordon, DCL, and whoever other attacker. Plus set pieces defensively and offensively need to be spot on.

Tarkowski, Keane, and whoever else can be solid enough. But if he tries to play expansive football or just has zero structure in midfield like he did at Chelsea with 3 at the back, Everton are going to be in trouble. And that's before any injuries.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Good chance you will be playing 3 ex Burnley players in your starting 11.

Out of outfield players, it's 30% Burnley :D
I don’t think Keane will start for us anymore unless Mina or Godfrey are injured. It should be Tarkowski, Mina and Godfrey. Don’t mind Tarks and McNeil though, both should turn out to be really solid players for us.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don’t think Keane will start for us anymore unless Mina or Godfrey are injured. It should be Tarkowski, Mina and Godfrey. Don’t mind Tarks and McNeil though, both should turn out to be really solid players for us.
Is Mina very injury prone player? Saw Keane stats and he started more than 30 league games in every season for Everton.

Anyways IMO Everton have decent enough squad to finish midtable, last season was bizarre and it was like negative momentum just sucked all the skill in the team.

careca07

I'm sure big Dunc or dyche would do at least as well with that squad
you’re right- Dyche would probably have them doing better
they’ve lost basically their only source of goals and the pre-season has an air of chaos already
Only just avoided relegation last year, lose the first two/three games and the fans will be done

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I wonder if Lampard is regretting taking the job. Tough season ahead having lost their best player.
Only other job he was interviewed for last season was Norwich.

I can see him as Southampton manager in next 18 months and that might be a better fit for him. Or just take another club trying to get promoted from championship.

Trequarista10

McNeil is a decent siging as was Tarkowski.

Gray, Calvert-Lewin, Gordon, McNeil, Alli for the front 3, plus a couple backups. Not unreasonable to think 2 or 3 of them could have good seasons, although they'll miss Richarlison who was a more guaranteed performer.

Back 5 seems alright with Godfrey, Mina, Tarkowski, Mykolenko, Patterson, some dodgy backups mind.

Agree with SW's assessment that CM is their biggest concern at the moment. They'll clearly bring in one or two more players though, they'll be fine.

justsomebloke

In terms of current squad, they look to me very much like a lower half club, led by one of the less credible managers in the PL. Their signings have, if anything, cemented that. Tarkowski is more or less at the same level as the best CBs they already had, Dwight McNeil, unlike Richarlison, is not the sort of player that gives a mid-table side some reason to hope they'll become a good side, he's more the sort of player that gives a bottom side some reason to hope they can become a mid-table side. They arguably used to have four players - Richarlison, Digne, Pickford, Calvert-Lewin - that looked like a basis for building a path into the top 7. Now it's just Pickford and Calvert-Lewin. I'm sure a decent performance could be coaxed out of that squad, but then again you'd have to ask if that's something you can expect Frank Lampard to do better than his colleagues at the other clubs who are more or less in the same place in terms of squad quality. Best case they might have a sniff at 10th, but I think it's more likely they'll find themselves in the relegation battle.

DT12

Supports
Everton
Couple of goals for Dwight McNeil on his debut tonight against Dynamo Kyiv. Worked hard, always wanted the ball, nifty feet.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Lampard is a good manager. Hope he just play conservative against top teams.

He will put your team near top 10. What's evertonions expectation about coming season?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
After all these transferwindows...their squad still looks underwhelming.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Lampard is a good manager. Hope he just play conservative against top teams.

He will put your team near top 10. What's evertonions expectation about coming season?
I think most would be delighted with mid-table after last season. The hope and aim is to have a season where we aren't in the shit and fighting relegation like last year.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
After all these transferwindows...their squad still looks underwhelming.
We are very similar to United. Poor running of the club has led to multiple management changes and therefore multiple windows where we have had to change the squad to suit the manager. Hence we both have disjointed sides in need of major reshaping still.

avgp_1

Everton will struggle this year. Richarlison basically carried that side and Digne was their other quality player but Mykolenko has potential so could do better after the rough half season.

McNeil is an avg squad signing at best. He should be playing in the championship, has no end product. Don't know how he got into the English u21 setup in the past year or so, looked the worst player. Likes of Keane Lewis-Potter are miles better

Trequarista10

Dwight McNeil is quality. He's still 22 (the same age as Tahith Chong, for reference), has bags of experience already, played on the wing in Burnleys counter attacking 442 so had more defensive responsibility and less attacking freedom, but showed his quality when he got the chance. He'll surprise people if he plays in a front 3 for Everton. Not saying he's going to take them to the next level, but he'll be a very competent signing for that level. He will likely reach and sustain a level similiar to the likes of Downing, Milner, Ashley Young, SWP, Lennon, which is essentially what mid table sides need. Provided them with some consistency, which they need given their other forward options are talented but either unproven or inconsistent (Gordon, Alli, Gray).

TheReligion

Abusive
Dwight McNeil is quality. He's still 22 (the same age as Tahith Chong, for reference), has bags of experience already, played on the wing in Burnleys counter attacking 442 so had more defensive responsibility and less attacking freedom, but showed his quality when he got the chance. He'll surprise people if he plays in a front 3 for Everton. Not saying he's going to take them to the next level, but he'll be a very competent signing for that level. He will likely reach and sustain a level similiar to the likes of Downing, Milner, Ashley Young, SWP, Lennon, which is essentially what mid table sides need. Provided them with some consistency, which they need given their other forward options are talented but either unproven or inconsistent (Gordon, Alli, Gray).
McNeil will be a good signing I think. United academy player FYI.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Finding it very hard not getting sucked into a FDJ style muppet fest over Onana right now...

In other news DCL is out for 1 month or more after a freak accident in training means he picked up a knee injury. I love him but we can't rely on him at all, especially with Richy now gone. A new striker is needed ASAP as Rondon is suspended for the weekend and we have let our youngsters go out on loan. Kean and Tosun are also on their way out so we have no striker available for Chelsea. :lol:

DT12

Supports
Everton
Kean and Tosun are also on their way out so we have no striker available for Chelsea. :lol:
Tosun has already gone, he signed for Besiktas last month. His contract was up, thank God.

Gutted about DCL. I've a feeling we'll be starting with Dele Alli up front on Saturday.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Tosun has already gone, he signed for Besiktas last month. His contract was up, thank God.

Gutted about DCL. I've a feeling we'll be starting with Dele Alli up front on Saturday.
Yeah, sorry what I meant by that was both of them will be out by the end of the window. :)

I think so too. I understand that it was a freak accident and transfers take time but in hindsight it’s poor to not have had an adequate backup sorted for him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Onana looks like he's coming in. 25m initial fee with add-ons. Quite steep but I like our transfer policy this summer. Both he and McNeil are young, hungry players with high potential. This is what we should have been doing previously.