Everton 2022/23 | Dyche Dyche baby

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Overall a decent window for us. I'm disappointed we didn't get another striker/forward player in but we have beefed the squad out which is definitely important with the five sub rule.

With a fit team we can have a bench of options of Begovic, Holgate, Keane, Coleman, Godfrey, Mina, Allan, Doucoure, Garner, Maupay, Townsend, McNeil, Vinagre, Rondon and Davies to choose from which is a good improvement.

arthurka

Overall a decent window for us. I'm disappointed we didn't get another striker/forward player in but we have beefed the squad out which is definitely important with the five sub rule.

With a fit team we can have a bench of options of Begovic, Holgate, Keane, Coleman, Godfrey, Mina, Allan, Doucoure, Garner, Maupay, Townsend, McNeil, Vinagre, Rondon and Davies to choose from which is a good improvement.
What do you think could be your realistic expectations for this season. This looks like a decent side.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What do you think could be your realistic expectations for this season. This looks like a decent side.
Somewhere between 15th and 10th I'd be happy with. This season should be about stability. We look much better structurally in terms of how the club and team is operating on and off the pitch so far but we really need to start picking up 3 points or it will mean nothing. Difficult set of games coming up but if we can avoid heavy defeats/nick a point to keep momentum going I think we will be okay.

arthurka

Somewhere between 15th and 10th I'd be happy with. This season should be about stability. We look much better structurally in terms of how the club and team is operating on and off the pitch so far but we really need to start picking up 3 points or it will mean nothing. Difficult set of games coming up but if we can avoid heavy defeats/nick a point to keep momentum going I think we will be okay.
I really hope you guys can start picking up points vs Liverpool this weekend.

TheLord

They will flirt with relegation but surely won't go down.
Leicester, Bournemouth and Villa are my pick.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm just excited to see the three headed monster of Oganer unleashed at one point.

philnguyen1994

No way, Villa has much better players after big investments in recent years. They'll survive comfortably once they get rid of Gerrard.

There's a no reason why most Villa fans now want Gerrard out while Lampard still has some support.

matys

Midfield of Iwobi-Onana-Doucoure might not be of the best quality but their work rate will be hard to play against

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Onana looks like the exact type of midfielder they were missing. Imagine going from two total non-entities like Alli and van de Beek to a unit putting himself about like Onana

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Onana looks like the exact type of midfielder they were missing. Imagine going from two total non-entities like Alli and van de Beek to a unit putting himself about like Onana
Yes, he looks like a really nice purchase so far. He’s still very early in his development but in 1-2 years he could be amazing.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Nathan Patterson is an incredible talent. He’s actually managing the defensive side of the premier league well.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Nathan Patterson is an incredible talent. He’s actually managing the defensive side of the premier league well.
Yes, he’s been very good so far. You can see he’s a little naive at times and he gets caught out - see the goal Forest scored against us + in the Leeds game and today he could have made better decisions in their box that may have lead to a goal but he looks like a great talent.

FujiVice

Not a chance Everton are going down. Think they'll be the modern day 12 placers who play good stuff occassionally. Pickford, Patterson, Gueye, Iwobi, Garner, Gordon and Calvert Lewin will see them through.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Thought they might go down but seeing Leicester and Bournemouth, they'd really have to push to get themselves relegated.

Still need to sack Lampard

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Yes, he’s been very good so far. You can see he’s a little naive at times and he gets caught out - see the goal Forest scored against us + in the Leeds game and today he could have made better decisions in their box that may have lead to a goal but he looks like a great talent.
I’ve seen him for Scotland and he was always good in attack. He seems more reserved however his defensive work has improved.

I’d imagine working with Coleman and experienced centre backs is supporting his development. I have confidence he would come on leaps and bounds over a period of time however he’s settled very quickly.

He handled Sterling really well too.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Pickford, Iwobi and Patterson all having really good seasons so far. It is nice having players performing towards the top of their respective levels. I think we have a nice first 11 now that really shouldn't be getting relegated. We need to back this win up with another over Southampton though or the good work can be unravelled quite quickly.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Iwobi has definitely turned into some kind of Zidane/Neymar hybrid this season :lol:

He's looked very good.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I've actually been impressed with Lampard's managerial nous (only in the last couple of months / back end of last season).

Don't think he had anything about him at Derby and Chelsea, but you get the feeling he's learning on the job and adapting to the players he has. He deserves credit for repositioning Iwobi, and has an eye for talent (Patterson). He's instilled a good work ethic into a team that had none last season, and where confidence was at an all time low.

I don't think he'll do enough to get Everton in the top half, but for a side that looked set on relegation a few months ago, he'll get them a respectable lower table finish (10-14th).

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
That looked a really bad injury for Patterson in the Scotland game. Potential ACL and couldn’t even walk to the dressing room requiring the stretcher. Gutter for the young lad who yet again was excellent.

Do Everton players ever get knocks by the way? Every injury seems to be months.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Apparently the Patterson injury isn't as bad as first thought but still better to be cautious. We have been annoyingly unlucky with major injuries in recent seasons.

In other news Allan has left and joined a club in the UAE. Great player but those miles on his legs have really taken their toll as he's entered his 30s.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Coleman in a back 4 is going to be a weak area for opposition to expose if Patterson can't get back before world cup.

Everton have looked promising in last few weeks but they'll still be involved in many tight games so hard to see them moving up too much in the table from where they are now.

Sea-Cow

So.... where does Garner fit here?

I don't blame the lad for leaving us in a search for consistent playing time. But who advised him to go to another prem team stacked with midfield options? He just traded a red bench for a blue one.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Coleman in a back 4 is going to be a weak area for opposition to expose if Patterson can't get back before world cup.

Everton have looked promising in last few weeks but they'll still be involved in many tight games so hard to see them moving up too much in the table from where they are now.
For this season that’s completely fine. This year is all about stabilising.
So.... where does Garner fit here?

I don't blame the lad for leaving us in a search for consistent playing time. But who advised him to go to another prem team stacked with midfield options? He just traded a red bench for a blue one.
He will get 15+ games I reckon under his belt at least with injuries and squad rotation.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Patterson out 5/6 weeks.
He will be ready to go after the World Cup I reckon.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I think Leicester & Villa will be ok & while I think Everton will be in the bottom half they will avoid relegation.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Easily the most unlikeable team we've faced this season.

It seems obvious most of them wanted to injure one of our players, or at least make them anrgy for some reason, but fair feck to our players for staying calm. If I was in Bruno's or Lisandro's place no way I would take those tackles and pushes without charging back. Even when our players tackled them pretty fairly and apologised after(which they shouldn't be doing, tackling is allowed in football), for some reason they kept being angry for them in those situations.

Mr. Robot

Everton don’t seem to get a lot of negative attention here as I think some assume that they’re “our friends because we share the same enemy.”

This couldn’t be further from the truth for matchgoing reds. I used to do a lot of aways when I Iived in Manchester and make no mistake about it, Everton fans hate us and we hate them (not actual hate, but hate in the tribalism sense of the word.)

Goodison is a proper old ground and I loved the away days there. In all honesty, their fans are just as rabid and horrible as their red neighbours across the park. They hate Utd because we’ve been very successful and because we’re Mancunian. Scousers don’t like Mancs and Mancs don’t like Scousers.

Another thing with Everton from the perspective of a Manchester United supporter is that they’re game raising cnuts whenever we’re in town. But they bend over for Liverpool time and time again. Look at their record vs Liverpool over the last few decades. It’s nothing short of an embarrassment.

As football goes, I hate Everton nearly as much as Liverpool. But at least Liverpool had something to crow about. Everton haven’t been relevant for as long as I can remember. And this is why their fans have a huge chip on their shoulder and any big club who has recent success will feel their wrath whenever they visit Goodison.

I also hate that god awful Z-Cars theme tune they walk out to.

Mr. Robot

Bang average team, bang average manager. Everton are a weird club. Any other ‘big’ club gets pelters in the media for not winning anything for decades. But not Everton. Spurs get criticised constantly. So do Villa. But never Everton. Despite them spending hundreds of millions under Moshiri.

SambaBoy

Worst team to watch in the PL for me. No creativity, no real game plan just hope the defence can keep the score down to a minimum and they can pinch a goal on a rare attack or set piece.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Big few weeks for Lampard. Three losses in a row albeit difficult games to play. He has to make changes though as people like Gordon have been absolutely naff recently and are causing a problem for us.

Mr. Robot

They’re in trouble. Lampard is a chancer and the sooner they get rid, the quicker they can climb the table.

As @SambaBoy said above, Everton are atrocious to watch. Which is fine if they’re the dregs which have just come up from the Championship. But this is supposed to be big old Everton FC. And they play the worst football I’ve seen in many years.

Ludens the Red

Didn’t watch their game (would rather slit my wrists than watch Everton play atm) but I estimate they had less than 40% possession and had less than five shots…

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Didn’t watch their game (would rather slit my wrists than watch Everton play atm) but I estimate they had less than 40% possession and had less than five shots…
They actually had more than 50% possession... and one shot.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I like Lampard but the next few games decide if we keep him or not after the WC. They are all games you need to win if you don't want to be involved in a relegation battle.

Idxomer

They've been 2nd best in every game this season except against Nottingham, they're lucky to have as many points as they do.

They need to improve massively not to be in a relegation battle again.

Revaulx

I like Lampard but the next few games decide if we keep him or not after the WC. They are all games you need to win if you don't want to be involved in a relegation battle.
I quite like him as well, but for someone who’s supposed to be such a brain on legs, he seems unable either to build on his successes or learn from his mistakes. His man management does seem to have improved while he’s been with you though; he’s less prone to throwing the players under the bus than he was at Chelsea.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I quite like him as well, but for someone who’s supposed to be such a brain on legs, he seems unable either to build on his successes or learn from his mistakes. His man management does seem to have improved while he’s been with you though; he’s less prone to throwing the players under the bus than he was at Chelsea.
I think he's better than what Benitez showed on and off the pitch but what's worrying for him now is he is entering a dangerous territory of the results matching Benitez which we rightly criticised Benitez for. If he doesn't pick up wins soon it will start become indefensible unfortunately for Lampard.