Kick-off
Sun, 1 March 2020 @ 2:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ..............VS..................

Date - Sunday, March 01 2020

Kickoff Time - 1400 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Goodison Park, Liverpool

League standings and form guide

5. Manchester United: LLDWW
    11. Everton: DDWWL

Previous League Meetings

Manchester United 1—1 Everton

Everton 4—0 Manchester United

Manchester United 2—1 Everton

Everton 0—2 Manchester United

Manchester United 4—0 Everton

All-Time League Record

Manchester United wins: 80
    Everton wins: 58
    Draws: 43

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Carlo Ancelotti

Team News

Manchester United

Paul Pogba, Marcus Rashford, Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Axel Tuanzebe ruled out. Anthony Martial doubtful.

Everton

Jean-Philippe Gbamin ruled out. Lucas Digne and Theo Walcott doubtful.

Know the opposition

Everton Football Club (nicknamed The Toffees and The Blues) are a professional football club based in Liverpool, England. Everton were founded as St Domingo FC in 1878 so that members of the congregation of St Domingo Methodist New Connexion Chapel in Breckfield Road North, Everton could play sport year round – cricket was played in summer. The club's first game was a 1–0 victory over Everton Church Club. The club was renamed Everton in November 1879 after the local area, as people outside the congregation wished to participate. The club was a founding member of the Football League in 1888–89 and won their first League Championship title in the 1890–91 season. Everton won the FA Cup for the first time in 1906 and the League Championship again in 1914–15. The outbreak of the First World War in 1914 interrupted the football programme while Everton were champions, which was something that would again occur in 1939.

It was not until 1927 that Everton's first sustained period of success began. In 1925 the club signed Dixie Dean from Tranmere Rovers. In 1927–28, Dean set the record for top-flight league goals in a single season with 60 goals in 39 league games, which is a record that still stands. He helped Everton win their third League Championship that season. Everton's second successful era started when Harry Catterick was made manager in 1961. In 1962–63, his second season in charge, Everton won the League Championship. In 1966 the club won the FA Cup with a 3–2 win over Sheffield Wednesday. Everton again reached the final in 1968, but this time were unable to overcome West Bromwich Albion at Wembley. Two seasons later in 1969–70, Everton won the League Championship, finishing nine points clear of nearest rivals Leeds United. During this period, Everton were the first English club to achieve five consecutive years in European competitions – covering the seasons from 1961–62 to 1966–67.

All in all, Everton have won 15 major trophies: the League Championship nine times (fourth most as of 2017–18), the FA Cup five times (ninth most) and the UEFA Cup Winners Cup once. The club have also competed in the top division for a record 114 seasons, missing the top division only four times (1930–31 and three consecutive seasons starting with 1951–52). Everton have play their homes games at Goodison Park since 1892, after moving from Anfield following a row over its rent. Their biggest rivals are neighbors Liverpool, against whom they contest the Merseryside Derby.

Referee

Chris Kavanagh.

Familiar Faces

Morgan Schneiderlin (2015-17) and Michael Keane (2009-15)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

-----------------De Gea-----------------
    --Lindelof--Maguire--Shaw--
    AWB---Fred---Matic---Williams
    ---------------Fernandes---------------
    ---Greenwood---Ighalo---

Subs: Romero, Bailly, McTominay, Mata, James, Lingard, Andreas

I assume Martial will miss the game, a win would be huge but I expect our usual defeat there

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    The fact that Williams didn't play against both Watford & Club Brugge, I think we will start him in this game with 352 formation.

DDG
    Lindelof Maguire Shaw
    Bissaka Fred Matic Williams
    Bruno
    James Martial
    Going to be tough game. Both Richarlison & Calvert Lewin are very dangerous duo up front.

GledTheRed

The fact that Williams didn't play against both Watford & Club Brugge, I think we will start him in this game with 352 formation.

DDG
    Lindelof Maguire Shaw
    Bissaka Fred Matic Williams
    Bruno
    James Martial
    Going to be tough game. Both Richarlison & Calvert Lewin are very dangerous duo up front.
    No James hopefully,

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
    We've been good recently but I'm expecting dropped points here. Still feel Europa League is the best chance of Champions League qualification.

binary bot
    fecking hate Goodison. Feel like no matter how we play, we'll concede a scrappy goal and capitulate

I was more confident vs Chelsea

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
    Staff
    Supports
    Everton
    Bruno worries me. Our defence is shite against teams that play defence splitting passes like he can when he's on it. Especially if we persist with a 4-4-2 with Gylfi as one of the midfield 2. I'd expect a draw since we are at home but wouldn't be surprised if we lost it either. You're in great form and we don't have many games under our belt recently like yourselves so we might not be as sharp. With Richarlison and DCL up top though I always believe we will score at least one now so could be a fun game with lots of goals.

#CR7

Am expecting a really scrappy game.

De gea
    AWB Bailly Maguire Shaw Williams
    Fred Matic
    Bruno
    James Martial

Not looking forward to this one

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    We've been good recently but I'm expecting dropped points here. Still feel Europa League is the best chance of Champions League qualification.
    If we don't have Bruno, I would agree with you. But Bruno has made the difference which increase our chance to win a match now whenever he plays in that no 10 role. When your playmaker is Bruno instead of Lingard & Pereira, the difference is day & night. It's still going to be tough game against Everton away. I won't be surprised if we drop points but nowdays, but ever since we signed Bruno, I feel like we can win every match against any sides outside top 6.

Litch

Tough game. Win it and I'll genuinely start to think we are challenging for top 4......

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Draw wouldnt be awful, they're a good side with Ancelotti and away to Everton is always tough. Hope we can grind out a win, would be big. Would do:
    Martial
    James Bruno Greenwood
    Fred Matic
    Shaw Maguire Bailly Wan Bissaka
    De Gea
    But can see a back 3 or 5, with Williams in and one of James/Greenwood out (probably James, so we have a front 2 of Greenwood and Martial, Bruno behind).

Gator Nate

Ole's first real test. The football gods will have us matched up with Wolves again or traveling to Istanbul for the next EL round and this will be weighing heavily on his mind.

Bruno, on the other hand, will be sprinkling more of his magic pixie dust on the squad, endowing upon them more courage to make runs behind the lines into space to take quality shots.

zenith

I can see is going with 3-5-2 for this one, regardless of martial being out or not.

Williams and AWB flanking a 3 man CB pairing and a midfield of matic, Fred and bruno.

Feel we might need the extra protection of a 3 man defence, owing the threat Everton pose from their strikers.

Devil may care

Watching them agaisnt Arsenal last week Ancelotti went for it and what was on show was two poor defenses and basically they lost the shootout, I doubt with his experience he will approach us the same way, I expect them to play deep and defensive and try to utilize the counter.

Hopefully Martial is fit to start and while I'd like to keep Mata in given his link-up with Bruno I feel we need to switch system to deal with ourleft side issue and I can't see Ole playing Bruno deeper with Mata in the 10 as it'll be either McTominay or Matic with Fred.

Lindelof and Matic will probably start but this is what I'd go with.

SER19

After wins against Chelsea and Watford, and this being the first game of a tough run, a win would be a great milestone and the first legitimate 'turned a corner' evidence all season as it would happen with fernandes mctominay coming in.

Last years defeat here should be oles team talk. Do everything exactly opposite.

SER19

Watching them agaisnt Arsenal last week Ancelotti went for it and what was on show was two poor defenses and basically they lost the shootout, I doubt with his experience he will approach us the same way, I expect them to play deep and defensive and try to utilize the counter.

Hopefully Martial is fit to start and while I'd like to keep Mata in given his link-up with Bruno I feel we need to switch system to deal with ourleft side issue and I can't see Ole playing Bruno deeper with Mata in the 10 as it'll be either McTominay or Matic with Fred.

Lindelof and Matic will probably start but this is what I'd go with.

Would be my team too. That midfield could be brilliant

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    Would be my team too. That midfield could be brilliant
    More likely Ighalo will play instead of Martial.
    He'll be sharper for yesterday's run out and a bit more confident after scoring.

Can see Matic in there

drdoityourself

This 5 man defence with Shaw and Williams is so unnecessary. Williams hasn't quite figured out that role and just seems drowned out by Shaw. In the upturn of form for Shaw this really seems a no-brainer for me to move away from that. Even during the win at Chelsea. we were a man down in.offence and struggled to create chances.

DDG

AWB
    Shaw
    Maguire
    Bailly

McT
    Fred
    Bruno

James
    Greenwood
    Martial - if fit

Zlatattack

A lot of confidence in the team at the moment. Everton are looking good too - we're unlucky on the weekend.

Expect an evenly matched contest with the individual battles making the difference.

Inigo Montoya

A lot of confidence in the team at the moment. Everton are looking good too - we're unlucky on the weekend.

Expect an evenly matched contest with the individual battles making the difference.
    They were unlucky because Arsenal's defence is shit apart from Saka, and Auba is in a different class. It flattered Arsenal but let's not over rate Everton

Alabaster Codify7

Tough game.

--------------------------------------DDG---------------------------------------------
    ----------------Lindelöf---------Maguire-------------Shaw------------------
    AWB-----------------------------------------------------------------------Williams
    ------------------------Fred-------------------------McTominay------------------
    ------------------------------------Fernandes-----------------------------------------
    ---------------Ighalo-----------------------------------------James-----------------

SUBS - Greenwood (James), Mata (Fernandes), Matic (Fred)

Everton 2 - 2 Man United
    Fernandes and Greenwood.

KennyBurner

Ole better not kill us with 3-5-2. He should just stick to a 4231 like the players are used to. All that tinkering stuff confuses our players like we’ve seen in the past.

Bwuk

Team should be...

-----------------De Gea-----------------
    --Lindelof--Maguire--Shaw--
    AWB---Fred---Matic---Williams
    ---------------Fernandes---------------
    ---Greenwood---Ighalo---

Subs: Romero, Bailly, McTominay, Mata, James, Lingard, Andreas

I assume Martial will miss the game, a win would be huge but I expect our usual defeat there
    Lets not go 3 at the back, it doesn’t suit us.

De Gea
    AWB - Bailly - Maguire - Shaw
    McTominay - Fred
    Mata - Bruno - Greenwood
    Martial​

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    Can't see us winning this. Would be more confident against City.

Inigo Montoya

Can't see us winning this. Would be more confident against City.
    I can see us winning. They’ll be up for it but we are full of confidence after good wins.
    Everton are hugely overrated due to the Carlo factor but they are not a good side.

Denis' cuff

Find this fixture, along with west ham away, so fecking annoying.

Grow some balls, win the fight and beat them at football.

Inigo Montoya

I thought he was taken off because he was playing rubbish.
    He was doing the defensive work well though. Less effective going forward but compared to the hopeless Chong he was ok.

I have a feeling he’ll be used to track Everton’s wide players.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
    My tea leaves are telling me we'll dick Everton this weekend! Never argue with the tea leaves.

The team actually look like they're enjoying playing football and gaining some much needed self belief.

We'll dick them. Tea leaves.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    I can see us winning. They’ll be up for it but we are full of confidence after good wins.
    Everton are hugely overrated due to the Carlo factor but they are not a good side.
    I'm convinced then nice one. 3-0 United.

Inigo Montoya

I actually thought Chong was more effective than James, so there you go.
    The better of two poor players then.

What’s clear is that neither should be starters. I doubt if Chong will be around anyway;he clearly believes he’s better than he is.

Inigo Montoya

My tea leaves are telling me we'll dick Everton this weekend! Never argue with the tea leaves.

The team actually look like they're enjoying playing football and gaining some much needed self belief.

We'll dick them. Tea leaves.
    I’m not superstitious but I killed a chicken this morning, read the bones and it says we’ll win

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 48% of 295 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 309 ratings.

Score Predictions