Everton's Disallowed Goal

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Him moving his legs so as to not interfere with play was interfering with play as without it the ball would have hit him.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It’s not being offensive. It’s just facts. Sometimes their are just plain facts

It’s offside & clearly. No debate should be necessary.
Questioning people's intelligence is unnecessary. Just accept it and move on if others don't agree with you (even if they are likely wrong).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Dear god, this is still being argued? Even after sleeping on it & watching it again today with a clear mind, the play still screams ‘offside’ on the same multiple levels.

Balotelli's Bib

Supports
Arsenal
100% interfering with play and offside. I can understand why some are arguing the point but that comes down to how vague VAR rules actually are, which is a separate discussion altogether.

Anustart89

why was it deemed offside, after the deflection?
Surely once the ball hits Harry, Sig is then onside?
For sure de g was not looking at Sig before the deflection
So you mean that you can have a player standing in an offside position and as long as you bounce the ball off a defender it’s not offside?

Strelok

If this is not an offside then from now on teams can have players standing a yard in front of a goalie and another player taking shot at. Then the standing players could jump or dive, as long as they don't touch the ball.

Would be a fantastic brand new tactic.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The fact that he tried to avoid the ball hitting him means he's interfering with the play.

It's as simple as that and I'm not sure why people are arguing about the decision

Anustart89

It was clearly impossible.
It doesn’t matter though. If a player stands in front of the goalkeeper to block his vision, is the goal legit as long as the incoming shot is struck well enough?

rollingstoned1

It doesn’t matter though. If a player stands in front of the goalkeeper to block his vision, is the goal legit as long as the incoming shot is struck well enough?
thats the thing though, there is no rule saying you cannot block the keeper's vision. as long as you are not doing what you said while you are offside it is allowed, goals are frequently scored in a crowded box where the keeper can't see where the shot comes from or in set piece situations where a scrap leads to some pinball and the ball falling into the net.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Profession ref clearly explained the rule but for some odd reason it's really hard to people to understand just because rule is not designed as they want.

Thanks @GifLord for the video.

Anustart89

thats the thing though, there is no rule saying you cannot block the keeper's vision. as long as you are not doing what you said while you are offside it is allowed, goals are frequently scored in a crowded box where the keeper can't see where the shot comes from or in set piece situations where a scrap leads to some pinball and the ball falling into the net.
I obviously meant from an offside position...

Rafaeldagold

Questioning people's intelligence is unnecessary. Just accept it and move on if others don't agree with you (even if they are likely wrong)].

It’s their intelligence on a very specific offside rule, I’m not saying they’re stupid in general.

Wrong opinions like that have every right to be called unintelligent. Just like if I said the moon is larger than the sun, it’s just wrong and I should be told it’s wrong.

People are way too sensitive these days

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How is it even controversial?

Hrs in an offside position, He’s obviously interfering with play by being right in front of De Gea distractingly him, AND has to move his legs for the ball to go in- So if he doesn’t move his legs it hits him no goal.

This is textbook offside & 100% a correct decision- not sure why there’s even a debate about it
From first viewing on my stream i was too busy cursing conceding to realise.

But pretty clear your take is 100% spot on.

Imagine if they allowed it. You'd basically have licence to stand or sit anywhere you like as long as you don't touch the ball. Itd be carnage.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Dear god, this is still being argued? Even after sleeping on it & watching it again today with a clear mind, the play still screams ‘offside’ on the same multiple levels.

Agreed. Otherwise it'd surely be impossible to be offside unless you touch it.

montpelier

Agreed. Otherwise it'd surely be impossible to be offside unless you touch it.
This and your previous post is close to how they framed the big change to offside interpretation in the days of Henry and RVN starting scoring every week.

That a player must be actively interfering, if you like. Once you start trying to write that, people start being able to say stuff like they are here, he doesn't really do anything, DDG isn't affected and so on. Because what he does do, isn't actually specified quite exactly enough for them to understand.

And it seems that offside is an inconvenience to us seeing goals, which is all that matters. We don't even like offsides that are offside if they're a bit too close.

Just hooked that on to what you say as a low key rant. I'm not arguing against it

montpelier

And the Chelsea guy is having a WUM I think. If its motivated by Maguires non red VAR incident, I can maybe understand why.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And the Chelsea guy is having a WUM I think. If its motivated by Maguires non red VAR incident, I can maybe understand why.
There are 2 or 3 I think in this thread, maybe because of how close we are in table.

Lentwood

LOOK AT HIM! He’s between goalkeeper and ball. How do you not see that?!?
He's lying motionless on the floor! Besides, I've not even commented on the 'right and wrong' of this....my two posts have both stated my opinion that we were LUCKY that the rules were interpreted in our favour given the fact that had Sigurddsson NOT been in that position, the outcome would have been exactly the same and we would have lost the game 1-2

Lentwood

He literally moved his legs to avoid touching the ball?

As I keep saying, the fact that he has to move his legs to avoid touching the ball is an action that would impact De Gea's ability to play the ball.
Simple question.....yes/no answer

IF Sigurddsson had not been there, would the events still have played out in the same way?

My answer to that question is 'yes' and therefore, as I said earlier, we were lucky that we got away with it on a technicality

elmo

He's lying motionless on the floor! Besides, I've not even commented on the 'right and wrong' of this....my two posts have both stated my opinion that we were LUCKY that the rules were interpreted in our favour given the fact that had Sigurddsson NOT been in that position, the outcome would have been exactly the same and we would have lost the game 1-2
But he was there and that's why he's offside. He had enough time to get up and run to an onside position but he was just sitting on his ass ballwatching.

I'm not sure why you're making up a scenario just to say that we got lucky with the call. The call was correct because if he didn't actively try to avoid the ball, it would have hit him in an offside position, rendering the goal having to be called off anyway.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

IF Sigurddsson had not been there, would the events still have played out in the same way?

My answer to that question is 'yes' and therefore, as I said earlier, we were lucky that we got away with it on a technicality
So in the light, do you think it would be fine for offside players to dummy the ball?

Doracle

I’m not sure why people are saying the fact he is had to move his legs out of the way means he was interfering. That’s not the rule and is just causing confusion. If De Gea had, for some reason, been out by the corner flag and all other events had played out the same way then there is no doubt that the goal would have stood. The fact he moved his legs is more or less irrelevant.

The key issue is whether he was preventing De Gea from playing the ball by being in his line of vision. Given that De Gea could clearly see the original shot and moved to start to try and save it, my personal view is that there is a reasonable argument that he wasn’t interfering. Had the ball sailed straight into the top left corner I’ve no doubt it would have been given. However, there is perhaps some (unlikely) prospect that De Gea could have got back had he been able to see the deflection more clearly and, in that scenario, my view is the benefit of doubt has to go to the goalkeeper.

What this definitely is not is a clear cut decision. The right one in my view but much more nuanced than is being suggested.

cyberman

I’m not sure why people are saying the fact he is had to move his legs out of the way means he was interfering. That’s not the rule and is just causing confusion. If De Gea had, for some reason, been out by the corner flag and all other events had played out the same way then there is no doubt that the goal would have stood. The fact he moved his legs is more or less irrelevant.

The key issue is whether he was preventing De Gea from playing the ball by being in his line of vision. Given that De Gea could clearly see the original shot and moved to start to try and save it, my personal view is that there is a reasonable argument that he wasn’t interfering. Had the ball sailed straight into the top left corner I’ve no doubt it would have been given. However, there is perhaps some (unlikely) prospect that De Gea could have got back had he been able to see the deflection more clearly and, in that scenario, my view is the benefit of doubt has to go to the goalkeeper.

What this definitely is not is a clear cut decision. The right one in my view but much more nuanced than is being suggested.
Every official who has commentated on this has clearly stated its offside.
The problem lies in posters who are treating a law of the game as a differing opinion.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why is there even a debate about this. The call was correct, he was offside and he interfered with play by dummying the goalie.

We were lucky to get away with it but only in the sense that we were lucky Gylfy was stupid enough to lie there and do what he did. Otherwise the deflection has Dave beaten.

Doracle

So in the light, do you think it would be fine for offside players to dummy the ball?
This happens often when a player is walking back from an offside position. They will hold their hands up and step out of the way, whilst one of their onside teammates runs through. If they get in the way of a defender, they are interfering and offside. If they don’t, it’s not a valid argument for the defending team to say that by leaving the ball they interfered.

Rafaeldagold

But he WAS in that position...that seems a silly argument to make. He was there interfering with play in an offside position

elmo

If his ass wasn't blocking the area, de Gea wouldn't have shifted his position because that's the danger area and he wouldn't have an illegal wall blocking the goal for him.

Arguing an offside call and claiming that the goal would stand because the person that's offside wasn't there is just dumb as feck. His presence is literally the only reason why the goal is offside.

Anustart89

This happens often when a player is walking back from an offside position. They will hold their hands up and step out of the way, whilst one of their onside teammates runs through. If they get in the way of a defender, they are interfering and offside. If they don’t, it’s not a valid argument for the defending team to say that by leaving the ball they interfered.
But in that scenario the player is signaling his intent to not participate by holding his hands up and walking away from the ball. If the player just stands there and lets the ball roll towards him as if it's going to hit him, and then in the last second does a jumping jack, then his obvious action has interfered with the opponents (as they've stopped because if it hits him then it's offside), and thus making him offside.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Differences:

1) Usually that scenario involves inaction on their part (i.e. standing still and letting the play go past them) rather than action (i.e. actively moving their foot in relation to the ball that is going straight to them). Plus holding your hands up and stepping out of the way isn't the same as staying where you are and allowing the ball to run through you.

2) Usually that senario involves the ball going to their teammate rather than directly into the goal.

3) Usually players in that scenario aren't also deemed to be obstructing the goalkeepers line of sight.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This is completely different to letting the ball run through your legs.... which is what a dummy usually entails.

cyril C

100% interfering with play and offside. I can understand why some are arguing the point but that comes down to how vague VAR rules actually are, which is a separate discussion altogether.
This is not a VAR debate. Obviously someone get to see the replay N times, but it is more about interpretation of Offside rule. It is not about handball, foul or whether someone is 1cm offside or not. It is a simple interpretation of offside rule.

RedIan

Clear as day offside, not even debatable. Hes sat upright in an offside position (not injured) right in front of and close to the keeper. He had every chance to get up and move but thought he would have a little sit down rest right there 2 yards from goal.. His behaviour was pathetic.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Exactly. It could not be clearer that the goal was rightly disallowed.
Quite right.
What really surprised me was that when questioned about it during the post match press conference was that Ole clearly didn't understand the rules.

He waffled about it but seemed to admit that he did not understand it.

How can any one at his position not be crystal clear on the rules of the sport.

shaky

You can see Sigurdsson 's head is directly between De Gea's eyeline and the ball at the moment it deflects off Maguire. Keeper had no chance of reacting to the deflection because he couldn't even see it happen. Easiest offside call ever.

El Zoido

Him moving his legs so as to not interfere with play was interfering with play as without it the ball would have hit him.
And he would have stopped the shot going in as well. It’s incredible that this has received 9 pages of discussion, it’s one of the most clear and obvious offside decisions I’ve ever seen.