Everton's Disallowed Goal

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
We were lucky and it arguably covered up another defensive/keeping error.

No VAR, we'd have dropped more points here.

fps

If he hadn’t been there it would still have been a goal, no doubt in my mind. He should have got up though because he could have, and I’m fine with that being ruled out for offside as the alternative can of worms is too much to bear thinking about.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Of course it is.
Honestly. How can you expect a coach to coach players without an understanding of the rules. Especially the offside rule.
It is not his job to be an expert on the rules. A passing knowledge of them will do for a manager.

Do you also have an expectation that players be experts on the rules?

Or is this something that should be left to match officials who truly rely on having a crystal clear understanding of the rules to do their job effectively (despite the consistent demonstrative evidence that even they do not)?

Or is this just another irrational stick to beat Ole with?

Rafaeldagold

It is not his job to be an expert on the rules. A passing knowledge of them will do for a manager.

Or is this something that should be left to match officials who truly rely on having a crystal clear understanding of the rules to do their job effectively (despite the consistent demonstrative evidence that even they do not)?

Come on, absolutely the manager of Manchester United should know the offside rule..right?

Dr. Dwayne

Come on, absolutely the manager of Manchester United should know the offside rule..right?
The basics, sure, but the expectation that the manager knows the rule inside out, even to the point of being able to clearly opine on as unique a situation as we saw on Sunday is preposterous.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

The only irrational thing is a Football coach not knowing the Football offside rule, which is the most contentious rule of them all.

Rafaeldagold

The basics, sure, but the expectation that the manager knows the rule inside out, even to the point of being able to clearly opine on as unique a situation as we saw on Sunday is preposterous.
Hmm I don’t know..it was pretty obvious. Even VAR took 3 seconds to clear it up- wasn’t that difficult.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
We were lucky and it arguably covered up another defensive/keeping error.

No VAR, we'd have dropped more points here.
No. Most of the time that would have been disallowed for offside.

Why are you saying this?

Not having a go, but there’s no evidence base for this comment.

Rafaeldagold

Yet here we are on page 11.

Was obvious on review but in realtime maybe not such an easy assessment.
Just because fans who don’t know the offside rule have gone on for 11 pages doesn’t mean it wasn’t an easy decision...

I repeat it took the slow & cumbersome VAR about 3 seconds.

It was a very very easy decision

van Nistelrooy

So for people thinking not offside, because DDG was not saving it, Do you think this should have been a goal as it is going in irrespective of Nani's touch and the goal keeper had no chance?
Yes. Obviously. That's the whole point.

Dr. Dwayne

Just because fans who don’t know the offside rule have gone on for 11 pages doesn’t mean it wasn’t an easy decision...

I repeat it took the slow & cumbersome VAR about 3 seconds.

It was a very very easy decision
Like I said, seeing the replay it seemed pretty obviously offside, maybe in realtime it wasn't so obvious.

Sad Chris

This thread is still running :lol::lol::lol:

It usually starts to get really good when somebody sells his opinion as a theory

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yet here we are on page 11.

Was obvious on review but in realtime maybe not such an easy assessment.
How are we on page 11 is the question. The second the ball went in, I knew that it would be ruled offside as he had moved his legs, thus making him an active part of the play.

In an ideal scenario, the linesman should have raised the flag then and there and we wouldn't have had any controversy. I've no idea who was the commentator there, but he just added to the confusion by bringing in line of sight crap, something that is never a part of the offside rule.

Member 113277

I think it was correct to chalk it off but we got a bit lucky that it went our way
But football games are often affected by luck, aren't they? If Sigurdsson had not been there, the ball would likely have gone in off Maguire and we'd be bemoaning our bad luck in conceding such a random goal to lose in the 92nd minute.

schmurnan

How is it even controversial?

Hrs in an offside position, He’s obviously interfering with play by being right in front of De Gea distractingly him, AND has to move his legs for the ball to go in- So if he doesn’t move his legs it hits him no goal.

This is textbook offside & 100% a correct decision- not sure why there’s even a debate about it
This is 100% my opinion as well.

I said the same thing in the pub: "How is it even up for debate?". He moves his legs out of the way - even if only fractionally - so it's interfering with play.

Lentwood

So based on that logic your initial premise is invalid, and so does any future discussions on this. If you are talking about hypotheticals you can't say be selective.

Coming back to the original scenario, distraction is distraction. Some people don't get distracted that easily some do, but going by benefit of the doubt which the VAR gave to United it was a fair decision. Like i said 50/50. GK's are usually given the benefit of the doubt in most cases and this was one of them.

And all those things the other posters are mentioning are valid in it's own terms.
No, my logic is that the question relates to interference. The entire decision hinges on whether Sigurddsson 'interfered'.

Remember, the rules ALLOW for a player to be in an offside position PROVIDING they are not interfering with play.

Sigurddsson lying prone in an 'offside' position is not in of itself a reason to disallow the goal

Hence my question is valid - did Sigurddsson being in that 'offside' position in any way effect or alter the chain of events that followed?

My own personal conclusion is 'no' but I can UNDERSTAND why the referee felt differently. That in my book constitutes good luck on the basis a different official could have interpreted it differently

Bulldog United

As Keane said on Sky, Ancelotti should be more furious that the guy just sat there in an offside position without a care in the world. It's a definite offside and completely avoidable. I'm only surprised that the officials on the field didn't rule it out before VAR took care of making the right decision.

RedfromIreland

No, my logic is that the question relates to interference. The entire decision hinges on whether Sigurddsson 'interfered'.

Remember, the rules ALLOW for a player to be in an offside position PROVIDING they are not interfering with play.

Sigurddsson lying prone in an 'offside' position is not in of itself a reason to disallow the goal

Hence my question is valid - did Sigurddsson being in that 'offside' position in any way effect or alter the chain of events that followed?

My own personal conclusion is 'no' but I can UNDERSTAND why the referee felt differently. That in my book constitutes good luck on the basis a different official could have interpreted it differently
He couldn’t, unless he’s incompetent. That’s the law for all officials to follow.

Bestietom

The only irrational thing is a Football coach not knowing the Football offside rule, which is the most contentious rule of them all.
A lot of Referee's Managers and Coaches don't know the rule. Well they come on, and ask why the goal was ruled out, and Referees contradict each other, whether he was interfering with play or not.

Doracle

Spot on. I really don’t understand why anyone is finding this difficult to follow. It really highlights the lack of understanding of the offside rule that so many comments think lifting his feet out of the way of the ball is, in itself, interfering.

Giggsyking

Even if Sigurdsson was out of the picture, the deflection alone had taken the shot beyond de Gea and he was never keeping it out.

Therefore, disallowing the goal was harsh despite what the rule book says. Common sense by the officials should have awarded the goal.

We got lucky.
But he was. FFS are we making scenarios now?
It is the fecking rules, that is why the referees goes courses, to learn the rules, not common fecking sens.

Foxbatt

Spot on. I really don’t understand why anyone is finding this difficult to follow. It really highlights the lack of understanding of the offside rule that so many comments think lifting his feet out of the way of the ball is, in itself, interfering.
It highlights the lack of understanding of the rules by some fans and some commentators on the rules of offside. Many refs and even including the one in France, the same day between Lyon and St. Ettiene was ruled offside because a player in an offside position jumped out of the way of a goal bound shot. If Siggy was not in that position what is to stop DeGea taking a few steps forward to cut the angle? He may well have saved even the deflection from Maguire if his angle is narrower. Siggy in that position denied him that opportunity. Also he was in the line of his vision.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It is when the player is in line of vision of the goal keeper, as confirmed by ex refs.

Velvet Revolver

There was interference, he moved his legs to make way for the ball to go into the goal. However slow or meek the attempt may be ,logically it is interference. Was it so confusing for DDG to react to this is debatable. However based on the rules you are referring to it is interference in my opinion.

montpelier

It's great fun is this. I'm going to try something else.

When the shot is taken, before the deflection. We don't know whether DDG will save it or not, we don't know where the shot is going. Siggo us deffo interfering at this point, because he is blocking half the goal and could be where DDG wants to dive.

Unless you want to try and say that the deflection creates another phase of play? That is interference by an offside player right there in the instant the shot goes towards the goal.

Surely the idea that the deflection changes him to sitting there not interfering from definitely proven as interfering is too much?

Technically, DDG could stand still saying "look at this ridiculously offside player lying in the goal"

"I won't dive where the shot is going, in case a deflection and me diving plays him back on despite the ball then rolling so close to him, he has to move"

If that isn't considered to be offside, we might as well give up.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
A lot of Referee's Managers and Coaches don't know the rule. Well they come on, and ask why the goal was ruled out, and Referees contradict each other, whether he was interfering with play or not.
I have always thought that the offside rule is of no benefit in the modern game.

It really servers no useful purpose and almost always causes problems.
The game is far too compressed in the midfield and so stretching the play could lead to more open and expansive football.

Football is an entertainment business and it is goals that are the highlight.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's great fun is this. I'm going to try something else.

When the shot is taken, before the deflection. We don't know whether DDG will save it or not, we don't know where the shot is going. Siggo us deffo interfering at this point, because he is blocking half the goal and could be where DDG wants to dive.

Unless you want to try and say that the deflection creates another phase of play? That is interference by an offside player right there in the instant the shot goes towards the goal.

Surely the idea that the deflection changes him to sitting there not interfering from definitely proven as interfering is too much?

Technically, DDG could stand still saying "look at this ridiculously offside player lying in the goal"

"I won't dive where the shot is going, in case a deflection and me diving plays him back on despite the ball then rolling so close to him, he has to move"

If that isn't considered to be offside, we might as well give up.
While the offside position is determined at the moment DCL strikes the ball, the offside offense only occurs when Siggy becomes relevant to play, which I suspect would probably only be deemed to have occurred after the deflection.

So I'm not sure DDG deciding not to dive because he was worried about a deflection would count, because Siggy technically wouldn't have been relevant to play at that point. It's only after the deflection (when the ball is now heading directly towards Siggy) that the impact on DDG's ability to make a decision comes into play. Otherwise pretty much anyone in an offside position would have to be penalised as the possibility of a deflection towards them will usually be there.

If we're talking about what would have happened without the deflection, it depends on where DCL's shot would have gone I guess. Assuming it would have gone to DDG's right, one of the two factors cited for the offside call (Siggy moving his foot out of the way) would been eliminated straight away.

That would just leave the subjective call of whether Siggy was still intruding on DDG's line of sight. I'm not sure that would have been enough on its own if the ball was directed across the goal in that way but who knows really.

Denis' cuff

I have always thought that the offside rule is of no benefit in the modern game.

The game is far too compressed in the midfield and so stretching the play could lead to more open and expansive football.

Agree. Without it, the game would be stretched, creating more end to end stuff. Don’t see a downside to it and all this Bollox would be a thing of the past.

montpelier

While the offside position is determined at the moment DCL strikes the ball, the offside offense only occurs when Siggy becomes relevant to play, which I suspect would probably only be deemed to have occurred after the deflection.

So I'm not sure DDG deciding not to dive because he was worried about a deflection would count, because Siggy technically wouldn't have been relevant to play at that point. It's only after the deflection (when the ball is now heading directly towards Siggy) that the impact on DDG's ability to make a decision comes into play. Otherwise pretty much anyone in an offside position would have to be penalised as the possibility of a deflection towards them will usually be there.

If we're talking about what would have happened without the deflection, it depends on where DCL's shot would have gone I guess. Assuming it would have gone to DDG's right, one of the two factors cited for the offside call (Siggy moving his foot out of the way) would been eliminated straight away.

That would just leave the subjective call of whether Siggy was still intruding on DDG's line of sight. I'm not sure that would have been enough on its own if the ball was directed across the goal in that way but who knows really.
I would agree with you totally if he wasnt sat in the goalmouth (interfering).

For example, if he's 10 yards to the side of the goal (not interfering). If the ball hits this guy etc, then his status changes.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agree. Without it, the game would be stretched, creating more end to end stuff. Don’t see a downside to it and all this Bollox would be a thing of the past.

Then you'd just get strikers standing in the box, defenders would just end up man marking all over the pitch and it would turn into a giant game of 6 aside and be awful.

montpelier

And put another way, I'm saying that Siggy is ALWAYS relevant, always interfering, because of where he is. DDG is entitled to claim that, surely?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
And put another way, I'm saying that Siggy is ALWAYS relevant, always interfering, because of where he is. DDG is entitled to claim that, surely?
He'd be entitled to claim it sure but without the deflection it would be one of those decisions that could go either way, I think. The referee/VAR might think "well DDG saw the shot the whole way despite Siggy being near him and was always going to have to move away from Siggy to make the save so it didn't have enough of an effect".

It's only with the deflection taking the ball through Siggy that it becomes a complete no-brainer.