Every team that won the league had a top class goalkeeper

GueRed

Flowers was in the PFA team of the year in 94-95. Don't know if that means he was class that season or the voters were clueless.
Tim Flowers was a good keeper and had an excellent few years at Southampton then Blackburn. Was one of the best in the league around that time.

Would've been England's number one if he didnt have top quality like Nigel Martyn and David Seaman in front of him.

Keeper with a lot of bottle too..

The Cluck

Barthez had his good moments but there were far too many bloopers thrown into the mix. That game against Arsenal at Highbury in 2001/02 where he gifted the match to them. The Ronaldo hat trick against Real Madrid was the end for him. He looked incredibly feeble in that game.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Not this shit again. Can someone please take away Luckhurst's forum access?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Barthez was pretty damn good in his first season, went downhill from there.
A clown from start to finish, if you ask me! I have him down as one of United's poorest keeper in all the years I've been watching them (dating back to Alex Stepney)

Polar

We have top class goalkeepers, so I’m not worried.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
As long as the goalkeeper is solid (not making mistakes), doesn’t have to be top class and we have top class back four in front of the solid keeper then it’ll be fine. Fortunately, we have that top class back four now. Just need to make sure our keepers don’t make mistakes.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Disagree. Case in point...

We won the league in 2000 with Mark Bosnich in goal and in 2003 with a combination of Barthez and Roy Carroll

laughtersassassin

We won't win the league with our Midfield either.

We still have holes in the squad. Our rebuilds simply take too long

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

We won the league in 2000 with Mark Bosnich in goal and in 2003 with a combination of Barthez and Roy Carroll
Gotta credit VDG for the 99-00 season as well, he had 11 starts in the league plus three sub-ons. Bosnich had 23 starts and Taibi the remaining four.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

Bozzie was actually a pretty good goalkeeper - he was unlucky that soon after he joined us, the back pass law changed and he was very poor with the ball at his feet. Different things are expected of keepers now and they clearly train differently from the "old" days. I do wonder how many other greats would have suffered the same way if the law had been changed as they were getting deep onto their careers (I have no idea whether, say, Gordon Banks or Bob Wilson could do what Neuer does)

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Bozzie was actually a pretty good goalkeeper - he was unlucky that soon after he joined us, the back pass law changed and he was very poor with the ball at his feet. Different things are expected of keepers now and they clearly train differently from the "old" days. I do wonder how many other greats would have suffered the same way if the law had been changed as they were getting deep onto their careers (I have no idea whether, say, Gordon Banks or Bob Wilson could do what Neuer does)
I may be imagining things, but the back pass rule was introduced 92.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This is the single reason why I wouldn't put any money on us winning the league until we replace DDG, who is just average keeper at best these days.

With Varane joining I believe we will continue with De Gea in goal as we should lose significantly less goals from set pieces (or that's the idea) what is the biggest worry with Dave in goal. He is still a better shot stopper than Henderson (based on what I've seen last season, I can't tell what is his normal/top level as I've not seen much of him). We should't expect to face less shots than last season.
Anyway, yeah, I'm worried.

UpWithRivers

Its crazy we supposedly have 2 top keepers and cant decide between them but in reality there are much better keepers out there. I would sell them both and buy Oblak

GueRed

As someone already mentioned the back pass rule came into effect in 1992. Bosnich joined in 1999.

But yes to put it bluntly his kicking was shit. Some clearances couldn’t even reach the halfway line!

Apparently his fitness and stamina was a real issue too…

Apart from that TBF he was a good Premier League keeper.

Reminds me of Hugo Lloris. Agile and a tremendous shot-stopper. That 99/00 season he had some very good games in particular the man of the match performance in the Intercontinental Cup against Palmeiras and Real Madrid away.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You can have shite keeper and win stuff. Dudek, barcelona, etc.

The point is the sum of your back five total has to be good enough. Top GK helps adds total value. But that isnt a necessity.
It isn't a necessity if you don't concede a lot of shots, but it's down to the whole team, not only back 4.
For example, City conceded 65% of the shots we conceded (total number comparison), Liverpool 76%, and Chelsea 78%, Leicester 87%. That is a huge difference. We are on the level of Fulham, Southampton, Arsenal, and Wolves.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It isn't a necessity if you don't concede a lot of shots, but it's down to the whole team, not only back 4.
For example, City conceded 65% of the shots we conceded (total number comparison), Liverpool 76%, and Chelsea 78%, Leicester 87%. That is a huge difference. We are on the level of Fulham, Southampton, Arsenal, and Wolves.
Off course you're right, by definition it's the whole team.

Oranges038

As someone already mentioned the back pass rule came into effect in 1992. Bosnich joined in 1999.

But yes to put it bluntly his kicking was shit. Some clearances couldn’t even reach the halfway line!

Apparently his fitness and stamina was a real issue too…

Apart from that TBF he was a good Premier League keeper.

Reminds me of Hugo Lloris. Agile and a tremendous shot-stopper. That 99/00 season he had some very good games in particular the man of the match performance in the Intercontinental Cup against Palmeiras and Real Madrid away.
Plus he was a massive coke head.

He was utter shite for Utd, particularly in the CL. He only played 23 league games, Utd went from him to Taibi in one season that and the Batistuta goal that was right down the middle, highlighted how shit he really was.

TrustInOle

Tim Flowers was a good keeper and had an excellent few years at Southampton then Blackburn. Was one of the best in the league around that time.

Would've been England's number one if he didnt have top quality like Nigel Martyn and David Seaman in front of him.

Keeper with a lot of bottle too..
The golden age of England goalkeepers! Think it pretty much fell apart when Seaman hung his gloves up from international. Still have nightmares about Robinson then Hart, but to be fair to the kid, Pickford has shown his quality in and England shirt, even if he does have his shortcomings, I think he is the best since big old David!

Utd77

DDG has declined, jury out on Henderson, Romero should have been retained, however, there is one GK in the prem who would get in any side
including Utds and his dad was a treble winning legend at our club, would love him at old trafford tbh, I do agree with the original post.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Plus he was a massive coke head.

He was utter shite for Utd, particularly in the CL. He only played 23 league games, Utd went from him to Taibi in one season that and the Batistuta goal that was right down the middle, highlighted how shit he really was.
He got hurt early in the season, and I think there were concerns over his weight and social habits once he started training with the club. If memory serves, both Bosnich and VDG picked up significant/worrying injuries that August and SAF was forced into panic-signing Taibi, or go with two untested reserve types in Culkin and Rachubka.

James Peril

Goalkeeper really isn’t close to being our biggest issue, but I guess the FIFA-generation see names and ratings instead of Team these days. We could have prime Schmeichel and Buffon at the back, but conceding early goals and playing attacking football without a clear plan or cohesion will destroy all hopes of glory. Neither de Gea or Henderson will be the reason why we end up 20 points behind Man City next year.

jem

True. Although he did have a few decent seasons as a promising young goalkeeper, before completely falling apart.

A bit like David De Gea.
Man, I usually agree with almost everything you post, but De Gea as a keeper who had a few decent seasons before falling apart? He was world class for a 4-5 seasons! I still think he's pretty top quality nowadays, although I know that everyone will agree with taht.

FattyFooty

Were they ‘top class’ before they won the league, or were they regarded as ‘top class’ afterwards because every team that has won the league has a top class goalkeeper?

Also, Barthez won two leagues with us and Bosnich won one.
Barthez had some bloopers. But he was better than most people remember.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Barthez had some bloopers. But he was better than most people remember.
Wouldn't exactly call him top class. Maybe for part of his career but in 2003 he definitely wasn't. Ferguson got rid of him the end of that season after losing patience with him as I recall.

criticalanalysis

Those are interesting stats, where did you get them from?

Eternitiy

De Gea is below average these days. Cannot believe how many United fans continue to rate him despite how poor he's been the past 3 years.

Henderson must be given an opportunity this season, if he doesn't succeed, then find a solution next year.

De Gea realistically should never play for United again. But those in charge of contract situations have created an unbelievable situation with de Gea.