Every team that won the league had a top class goalkeeper

pass.pass.pass

Ederson has flaws too.

Guardiola was recently photographed telling Grealish all about it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not for me. Though it depends on your interpretation of the word. For me, top class is the likes of Cech, P Schmeichel, VDS etc.
He’s comfortably better than anyone on our books right now. One of the standout goalkeepers at the Euros. While the United keepers couldn’t even get a game. Kept out by goalkeeping titans like Jordan Pickford and whoever the feck that Spanish keeper was.

twitter thread suggester
Ederson is not without flaw. Great feet, but prone to blunders.

Gopher Brown

Were they ‘top class’ before they won the league, or were they regarded as ‘top class’ afterwards because every team that has won the league has a top class goalkeeper?

Also, Barthez won two leagues with us and Bosnich won one.

Shark

@NotShark
This has been on my mind for some time actually. Neither DDG or Henderson fill me with confidence. Could be our undoing definitely.

Oranges038

Except

Tim Flowers
Mark Bosnich
Joe Hart
Jens Lehman

Ricard Wright and Stuart Taylor also played most of a season between them for Arsenal.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
We won it a few times without a top class keeper.

Eg 99/00

City and pool won it the last few years with average keepers.

gfive

Joe Hart was top class? Kasper Schmeichel is good but not top class either while Ederson is overrated

Robbie Boy

He’s comfortably better than anyone on our books right now. One of the standout goalkeepers at the Euros. While the United keepers couldn’t even get a game. Kept out by goalkeeping titans like Jordan Pickford and whoever the feck that Spanish keeper was.
Saying he's better than our current keepers isn't saying much though... As I said, we obviously have differing interpretations of the word. For me, he's a good PL keeper, nothing more.

RoyKeaneSaipan

Supports
Liverpool
L o l at the guy saying ederson and alisson are average keepers

Infra-red

I don't think we're in with a shout of the league this year and it won't be because of the goalkeepers.

I do generally agree though - neither of them are good enough and will need to be replaced if we are to get back to where the fans want us to be.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I think it's the most important position on the field. To win with an average keeper you need dominance in multiple other positions. If City had a good keeper they might have a CL title by now.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Except

Tim Flowers
Mark Bosnich
Joe Hart
Jens Lehman

Ricard Wright and Stuart Taylor also played most of a season between them for Arsenal.
That answers that then.

On a broader point, despite the old "defence wins titles" adage, the truth is attack is typically more decisive. So it wouldn't particularly make sense to me that any one given part of that defence has to be top class as a rule.

Brophs

The One and Only
True. Although he did have a few decent seasons as a promising young goalkeeper, before completely falling apart.

A bit like David De Gea.
Ah, the old middle aged dilemma of whether to become a troll or a triathlete.;)

dal

Yes that’s right, De Gea has won the league when he was supposedly worse than he is now, great.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Except

Tim Flowers
Mark Bosnich
Joe Hart
Jens Lehman

Joe Hart is the one name that stands out as being legitimately crap. Even though he did have a solid season or two early in his City career.

I’d take any of the rest of them at their title winning best over what De Gea’s produced in the last two seasons, or Henderson last season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Is this a cheeky jab at De Gea?
He’s been shite for at least two season. Watching him flail at Everton’s first corner reminded me how poor he’s become. Maybe, just maybe, he can somehow get back to his best again this season but it’s unusual for a top player to be so poor for so long, then turn it all around again at his age.

Jury’s out on Henderson. Early signs aren’t good and it’s a big gamble to expect a title-winning season from him.

Thinking about it, the issue is about having a keeper good enough to perform like a top class keeper for one season. You can’t win the league without that. I just think it’s not very likely that DDG or Henderson can pull that sort of form out of the bag this season.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Joe Hart being crap is easy to say in hindsight, but I think there's a lot of revisionism there. He was genuinely very good for a while, but then suddenly dropped off a cliff.

I think the premise of this is flawed. For one, the teams that tend to win the league are the most successful and richest teams, which funnily enough, tend to buy the best keepers. Doesn't necessarily tell you whether they would have won with a worse keeper in goal though. I think City could have put a traffic cone in the net and still won a few titles.

I'm sure there's lots of keepers out there that would be viewed as "top class goalkeepers" if they had the chance to play for a top team and got a few league wins under their belt.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Joe Hart being crap is easy to say in hindsight, but I think there's a lot of revisionism there. He was genuinely very good for a while, but then suddenly dropped off a cliff.

I think the premise of this is flawed. For one, the teams that tend to win the league are the most successful and richest teams, which funnily enough, tend to buy the best keepers. Doesn't necessarily tell you whether they would have won with a worse keeper in goal though. I think City could have put a traffic cone in the net and still won a few titles.

I'm sure there's lots of keepers out there that would be viewed as "top class goalkeepers" if they had the chance to play for a top team and got a few league wins under their belt.
Reminds me of another goalkeeper.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not sure I agree with the absolutism of the title/OP, but I actually do think the goalkeeper spot is our second biggest issue after central midfield.

De Gea has very visibly dropped levels, and I don’t think he has it in him to have a Neuer style comeback. Henderson is clearly a PL level keeper, but from the sample size we’ve seen of him so far, I’m not sure it’s at the level we need.

There’s a big judgment call to make there, but unfortunately I think it’ll have to get shelved until next summer.