Everybody Stay Calm

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s not about staying calm or not. It’s about seeing such poor performances from a side with so much talent and worrying about them being coached properly.

One side sees obvious progress and the other sees a bump caused by one world class player.

The fact that there is a divide means nothing is definitive and that is what the concern is. Stick with him, and possibly waste another two years of investment and coaching with young players.

It’s a concern and, while I don’t understand bile or vitriol, I absolutely understand concern and worry.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We had no right to be 1st when we were after the summer we had and if this summer is a repeat we have no right to be up there next season either

SER19

I quoted you into this. I actually think signs are that the opposition overall has slightly weakened, particularly Liverpool. Leicester seems to be going to opposite way.

But you can still build a picture based on the title winner. Man City are on course for 87 points (15 higher than us), but I wouldn't be surprised if they manage into the 90s. Points would seem easier for them to get this season than last, which makes me think the opposition hasn't really improved at all. But, I think signs are that they have actually become weaker.

Liverpool with a potential 35 point drop, which is pretty much entirely down to them being far worse. Chelsea looks a bit worse than last season (could possibly improve with Tuchel). Tottenham marginal - better attack (Kane and Son), but seem worse in defence. Arsenal looks worse.

Leicester is the only team that has really shown any notable improvement, which is backed by the 20 point increase in two seasons. In comparison, we are on 6 points improvement. In the end, I don't think we've taken advantage of the weaker opposition to make a noticeable gap.

If Chelsea wins their game in hand, we will be 4 points. Liverpool 6 points off, despite being pretty rubbish. Leicester sprung from 14 points down in 18/19 to match us this season.
I still think you're being unfair in how you're comparing. Did United improve regardless of how Liverpool did? You have to look at United alone for the most part and we are clearly clearly far better than November 2018 when he took over. I think many posters are making the point that there is just no point comparing to city. They've changed manager several times and have just gone on winning titles and are in a place now where their current manager has been backed to the tune of 1 billion on top of one of the best squads in the league at the time. I've made the point elsewhere and pretend United don't exist, pretty much no team can compete. They've made a mockery of the league Cup which they can win with a second string most seasons. Barring the odd year off if this continues we will look at City winning 7 or 8 of every 10 titles. The gap is just growing and growing every year.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Why not appoint the right guy now? You're basically saying that the board will get it wrong so why bother trying?

LVG was a tactically rigid dinosaur that wanted to put the shackles on all his players. His ego was too big, practically the Donald Trump of football. His methods were never going to work here. Not to mention his supposed list of players that he needed to make it all work! He's deluded if he thought we could make those signings for him.

None of this changes the fact that there are managers out there, yet to win things, that will go on to be top level managers. We just need to identify the correct one. If we simply wait for them to prove themselves elsewhere, chances are they will not want to come here. So that is a flawed plan.

I'm ok with that outlook. I don't agree because I'm just so convinced that already this team is underperforming compared to the players at our disposal. Posters are reeling off players that we need in certain positions, yet the players already playing there have been some of our best performers this season. I just feel like we could be a lot better already and that gap between our actual performances and potential will only increase as we bring in better players, hence my position. If we bring in a lot of good players then actual performace may bring a title or a cup now and then but, based on what I've seen, I will probably never believe that Ole will maximise potential of a team as a whole.

I also wouldn't want Allegri then Nagelsmann, for exaple. But that's unlikely now hopefully, as I'm sure even Woodward has learnt that lesson. That's not to say we couldn't get a Nagelsmann this summer though and let him implement his coaching AND build a team suited to such an exciting brand of football, that also trusts youth. I don't think any United supporter wouldn't enjoy that. If we did that then I believe that. finally, the fanbase would actually be united behing the manager. Apart from perhaps those that would be unhappy that Ole got dismissed.
First questioned ask the board.
In terms of Woodward learning the most recent transfer window shows that he hasn’t leant anything. Chasing Sancho all season instead of an alternative, getting Cavani and Telles last minute, not strengthening our first team while teams around us got the players they wanted (and they weren’t cheap).
I am also not convinced that Nagelsmann is ready for such a big job yet. You seem to be. You would probably give him time, whereas I would rather give the guy time who is already here and is well placed for a 2nd top 4 finish in a row - for the first time since SAF left - with a still young and exciting team. Yes I know we are Man United and should have higher expectations. But if just having high expectations would be enough then we would have won 4 league titles in the last 7 years.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
While dissapointing and jheartbreaking that we have so many forwards out of form, saying that we're being outclassed is a bit... what's the word.. Lying.
Really? Who had the most clear chances to win the game against West Brom?
Our world class striker could of not been on the pitch if wanted, it wouldn’t matter the ball never reached him, where as West Brom’s striker was bullying the worlds most expensive defender, I’d call that outclassed.

RUCK4444

What are the countless areas he's brought us on in? When you next get time I'd be interested to hear, or at least link me to that post where you laid it all out for us.

What had any great manager won before they actually won something? That's a daft argument. Nagelsmann could take over Bayern next and win the fecking lot. I bet you still won't want to hear that we should have considered him, or somebody like him. Same goes for countless potentially great managers that are always out there. How about we do our job as a club and identify them next time?
You really can’t see any area of improvement under Ole? From the point at which Mourinho left to where we are now is a feckin chasm.

From the negative boring sideways football of LVG to where we are now, top scorers in the league, is a feckin chasm.

From Moyes... nuff said.

Cleared deadwood that many wanted gone
Recruitement is far improved
Attacking intent far improved
General attacking linkup & movement improved
Demographic for recruitment revamped

Players who have improved under Ole;
Pogba
Shaw
Greenwood
Rashford
Martial (until this lazy arse season from him)
Fred
McTominay

Probably more.

We are clearly far more competitive than we have been since SAF left. We’ve shown we can beat the best teams and with the addition of Bruno are now able to break teams down.

Consistency is the key and the next step, if it’s not there once the rebuild is complete then I would reevaluate.

We are three top players away from competing, importantly we need some of those players to be leaders, we have none in the team and this accounts for our inconsistency and weak mentality on the pitch when the pressure is on.

I’m able to see these things far outweigh the negatives and some of the above he’s implemented for long term reward rather than instant short term results. For the overall better of the club, he always puts the club first.

Polar

Are they improving enough, though? I mean we could end second with only a six-point improvement this season. I can't help but think most of the 'improvement' comes from the collapse of the opposition.

2016/17 - 76 points need for top four (86 needed for second)

2017/18 - 75 points needed for top four (81 needed for second)

2018/19 - 66 points (6th) - 71 points needed for top four (97 needed for second)

2019/20 - 66 points (3rd) - 66 points needed for top four (81 needed for second)

2020/21 (Extrapolated) - 72 points (2nd) - 63 points needed for top four (72 needed for second)

Is it only me that sees a pattern here? Despite only gaining 6 points, we jump from 6th to 2nd. How much of that is actually due to us? Or is it actually that we are being made to look better due to failing opposition?

People have compared him to Klopp, but he made a 16 point improvement in his second season, from 60 points to 76 with no major collapse from competitors. In fact, the threshold for the top four went up from 66 points in 15/16 to 76 in 16/17. And still, he managed to get top four with Liverpool.

Honestly, I don't think what we are doing is enough. We are relying too much on the opposition remaining weak, but it may not always be that way. Are you confident that we can sustain our position if the opposition improve? I'm not.
If you look hard enough after patterns, you find them.

Perhaps Premier League is a different league today compared with 2016-2019? Increased quality = tighter competition.

I can turn your argument the other way. We have been able to sustain or improved our position even though the opposition has improved.

Hellboy

Some of you actually hate Ole and it shows.
Loved him as a player, hate him as our coach yeah especially after the drivel he comes with in his post match pressers and the cowardly way he sets up the team against poor opposition with two DMs

Last edited:

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
His undoing will be his defensive buys. Got it wrong right from the start with Maguire and AWB. He wants us to "play higher up the pitch" and he buys the slowest cb available and a full back that can't attack.

The Bruno signing was great, the one he got extremely right. So right that I wonder if he fought against it and pushed for Longstaff or some other British "talent". Joking of course but only half joking.

So far he edges Mourinho, in that he actually trusts young players a lot more. And he's much better that LVG and Moyes. So he's the best of the worst. But I'm still not seeing good football.

::sonny::

1 pt against Sheffield and Wba

Nothing to say
Nothing to say
Nothing to say

passing-wind

If Ole gets sacked before the end of the season I’d honestly just laugh and finally give in that the club is fecked
I don't see this happening the glazers have been patient with Ole as far I'm concerned especially considering how quickly Lampard got sacked but in turn has benefited them. If Ole got sacked before the season's end he only has himself to blame it's who's appointed after where the club deserves criticism. However I don't see Solskjaer being relived unless we finish outside the top 4.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
[
I don't see this happening the glazers have been patient with Ole as far I'm concerned especially considering how quickly Lampard got sacked but in turn has benefited them. If Ole got sacked before the season's end he only has himself to blame it's who's appointed after where the club deserves criticism. However I don't see Solskjaer being relived unless we finish outside the top 4.
fear not, I’ve no doubt there’ll be a huge amount lining up to criticise the decision whoever it turns out to be.

Lentwood

You’re joking right 4-5 seasons the likes of Maguire, Bruno, Pogba, Fred, Shaw and so on will be in their 30s we should be making the most of them now in their primes.

We’d have to spend another couple hundred million by then and be exactly where we are now..
This is why we have developed a clear policy over the last couple of seasons of bringing in younger players and bolstering the Academy.

We should have been doing this even before SAF retired but we made a hash of it and never adequately replaced key players

Yagami

Good post resistant
Well there has been a number of racial abuse incidents, for one. And you only need to dip your toes in any of the Ole threads to see people losing their mind.
Obviously that's awful, but, to be fair, I don't think that applies to anyone on here.

R'hllor

Some of you actually hate Ole and it shows.
Dont think even those hard core Ole out maniacs hate him. He never gave a core reason for such emotion, at worst he might annoy them and they dont rate him one bit but thats about it. Might be wrong

Wing Attack Plan R

We were one signing away from this issue never coming up: Haaland. Seeing what a real CF can do in Cavani’s ghost’s cameos, if we had Haaland we would be competing on every front, even with our wobbly rejects in defense and Fred the lost sheep in midfield. One signing and Ole’s frailties would be glossed over.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Before the season I said our target should be finishing top 4 without much of a struggle, and then winning a trophy. We made it to one semi final, but have the Europa League and FA Cup to fight for, along with being 2nd. So yeah, we're on course. We've lost a hit of form now so everyone is dramatic because we were temporarily top of the league even if we were never going to stay there with City's form.

Comparing points year after year is dumb and never works. Do people really think United 1999 is the worst premier league winner ever, because they didn't even reach 80 points? Of course not. So stop the year on year point comparisons. They're pointless. So many factors come in play to affect that.

When it comes to Ole being manager short term and long term, you have to look at both short term goals and long term goals and see how they are lining up, and if not, why not. Short term, like I said, top 4 without too much struggle, a cup competition. So on course there. Long term, we are seeing year on year progression (first time being top at the halfway point of a season since Sir Alex), and then reasons why we fell off are because we have some pretty clear gaps in our squad. We haven't addressed our hole on the right wing for 5+ years. None of our centerback partnerships really work well or are balanced, and then we haven't had a proper holding midfielder in a long time either.

Nobody is flawless from a transfers perspective. Ole has done well in the market but of course could have done better. I'm confident that Maguire will still be an important part in our next step, but it'll just be a partner that suits him more and that balances us better. Ole brought a good level out of our midfielders, but ultimately Fred and McTominay aren't good enough to be starters. Could be as simple as signing a top DM like Ndidi to partner Pogba and Bruno, and then addressing the hole on the right wing with Sancho and I would expect us to challenge for the title. It's all incremental improvements, but we aren't going to win the title, regardless of manager, until we fix the right wing, fix the CB position and fix the 2 midfielders behind Bruno. Maybe some of the answers are at the club already, maybe we keep Pogba, sign 1 DM, maybe Diallo is a wonderkid ready to step up already, maybe Tuanzebe is the perfect partner to Maguire and it's sorted. Things don't tend to work like that though. Diallo may be promising, but we need a RW like Sancho regardless as Diallo is so young and unproven. We need a CB because all apart from Maguire are always injured and average when they play. We need a DM because the only DM we have (Matic) is past it, and then Pogba is likely off in the summer. The smartest thing we could do this summer would be to sign Sancho to sort out our attack, and then either sort out DM or CB, with some RB depth signed. And then the following January or summer sign a striker to replace Cavani, and the other DM or CB. That's what the realistic plan should be. Doesn't matter the manager. You need the personnel before you can challenge and win the title. To challenge, we can challenge properly with Sancho and a top CB partnership. To win it, we'll need to sort out the midfield.
  • 18/19 - Ole takes over half way through the season well off the pace
  • 2019-20 - fight for top 4 and qualify
  • 20/21 - firmly cement top 4, win a trophy
  • 21/22 - challenge for the title but fall short, but challenge seriously in the CL too (ideally continue winning trophies)
  • 22/23 - win the big competitions, sustain that level in future years
That's kind of how our timeline should look. We aren't going to do a single season jump, as we don't have the money to do that sort of thing. Unless people think a summer of Sancho/Varane/Ndidi/Trippier and keeping Pogba is realistic (it's not). Those 4 and then sorting out the striker position in addition, and then possibly a Pogba replacement over the next 2 summers and a January should be realistic though.

Last edited:

binary bot
My worry is that our good results earlier in the season were not reflective of the performances.

We rode our luck so often and they're now averaging out.

Chairman Steve

If we’re still fannying about trying to get a Top 4 on the last day like last year then there should be some questions about him long term.

It feels like almost every game the past few months is the same apart from Leeds and Soton home games. Start a game like we’ve just woken up, go behind a goal or sustain massive attacking pressure, then we wake up and score goals, fail to kill the game off with shit finishing and cling on until the final whistle when the opposition can smell weakness. Those types of games do happen but not every week or every three days.

Fluctuation0161

Manchester United are improving by the season under Ole's management. This is true. He has earned the right to continue and develop the squad and fix what the previous three managers combined to create. The club is on course for a second successive season in the top four, something not done since Sir Alex Ferguson was the manager if I am not mistaken.

Manchester United may not return to winning titles under Ole. This is also true. Did anyone genuinely believe this current side could win the title? Even when they were top? Does anyone believe the squad is now title winning quality? Ole's contract is due to expire next year so we can rest assured knowing he will have been given the opportunity to prove himself as a title winner or not.

You can feel Ole is doing a good job without being certain he will be the manager to return titles to Old Trafford. But the club is still in transition, that much I know, and Ole has done a good job until now. Why can't we enjoy a club legend leading us in games without having to jump on his back with hashtags everytime a defender is weak, or a goalkeeper fails to claim a cross, or a forward doesn't break sweat.

Ole is the right man for right now. Time will tell whether Ole is the right man for the next step this team needs to take, but they are not there yet.

Everybody stay calm.
Agreed.

The Neville wears Prada

I think there are clearly FAR better managers out there for sure.

But on the other hand I am quietly impressed with the job Ole is doing. Yes we are inconsistent, but he has cleared much of the deadwood, bought well and we now have a young and hungry squad. We are still massively more consistent than every other team bar City... You don't just 'fall' into second place by fluke, especially after over half a season.

Therefore I think it would be huge mistake not to stick with Ole until the end of the season, and most likely next season too. Then see how we sit... Personally I would be keeping a close eye on Brendan Rodgers as the best possible candidate to take over.

Amir

Who do you think should come in and replace him if you don’t mind me asking?
I've absolutely no idea. I wanted Pochettino, but he's no longer an option.

I can outline the characteristics I would look for, but not give a name. Unlikely myself, United are supposed to have people to should be able to focus full time on identifying the right man to take us forward.

GlasgowCeltic

If his first two signings were half the price he'd have done a good transitional job all in all. But it's a real 130m ball and chain he's leaving behind when he goes, which should be at the end of his contract.

The Neville wears Prada

I've absolutely no idea. I wanted Pochettino, but he's no longer an option.

I can outline the characteristics I would look for, but not give a name. Unlikely myself, United are supposed to have people to should be able to focus full time on identifying the right man to take us forward.
Brendan Rodgers should be top candidate by miles and miles. Look at his track record and success everywhere he has been. He would have our current team clear at the top of the league, of that I am convinced.

Deery

Dreary
This is why we have developed a clear policy over the last couple of seasons of bringing in younger players and bolstering the Academy.

We should have been doing this even before SAF retired but we made a hash of it and never adequately replaced key players
I’d say it’s more to do with the fact transfers are so damn expensive nowadays and we can’t afford to be dipping into the transfer market as much as we have been, so are looking to unearth special talents instead. It’s a risky procedure as we’ve seen with Chelsea they bought up all the talent around Europe and it didn’t exactly go to plan, but I like the idea of bringing youth players through it is synonymous with the club’s ethos.

croadyman

He will be safe providing he gets top 4. The ambition isn’t there to win trophies. It’s all about the CL money on the bottom line. We could go 10 years without a trophy, as long as he gets top 4 he’ll be kept on. He’s cheap (compared to top managers) & he publicly praises the owners & Woodward. The players get an easy ride too, hence why they raise their game whenever it’s looking bleak for him. Everybody wins with Ole in charge, except the fans.
You have absolutely nailed it pal and lets not forget the Utd old boys club alongside him who are also a massive part of the reason we look utterly dreadful in a tactical sense most of the time. Like you say he will be kept on whilst top 4 is continually secured and is cheap as chips for the club which suits them down to the ground. Yeah it's no coincidence that when the Poch rumours were rife back in November we suddenly pulled out a performance because they feared someone coming in who would be tougher on them.

Last edited:

lex talionis

Remaining calm is not the issue. But there is something of a psychological torment most of us are feeling that despite all the advantages United have over clubs like, say, Leicester City and Spurs that we’ve consistently underperformed while they have consistently overperformed.

I understand patience, but these repeated false dawns are getting harder and harder to bear.

Idxomer

My worry is that our good results earlier in the season were not reflective of the performances.

We rode our luck so often and they're now averaging out.
That's why I don't agree with people stating we're losing our form, we were only getting the result but the performances were lacking.

We had a player pull something special against Burnley and Fulham a month ago and were lucky against Wolves a bit earlier.

That's 3 out of 5 games before we supposedly lost our form against Sheffield United, the other 2 were against Aston Villa where we needed a last-second block to get the win, and the Liverpool game which was a bit of a borefest against a depleted side.